Author Topic: 2016-04-23 - Radio City Music Hall - Manhattan, NY MEETUP & Concert Discussion  (Read 54123 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Row PP, smack dab in the middle.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Nice!

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Likely in.
Good seat popped up so I grabbed it.

Most excellent.  Looking forward to reconvening.  We'll need to make sure the food is of sufficient quality!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
 :tup

The opportunity to meet up with a ton of people was one of the big draws for me. As I'm not such a big fan of DT at this point, the show's really more of a catalyst for getting me up there to hang out with a variety of cool folk, including my long time concert buddy from down here who's taking a completely different route to rendez-vous there.

I noticed that Thai fusion place went belly up. Damn shame as the tom kha gai might be the best I've ever had.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
:tup

The opportunity to meet up with a ton of people was one of the big draws for me. As I'm not such a big fan of DT at this point, the show's really more of a catalyst for getting me up there to hang out with a variety of cool folk, including my long time concert buddy from down here who's taking a completely different route to rendez-vous there.

I noticed that Thai fusion place went belly up. Damn shame as the tom kha gai might be the best I've ever had.

Well, shit...that's disappointing.  Hadn't been there since we met up, but the wife and I almost went over the holidays...of course, it would have been an aborted attempt.

Not like there aren't a couple of other decent restaurants in the city, though...   
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Whoever wants to meet up beforehand, let me know. When I get a better idea of the amount of people, I'll know what to look for. If we have to rent out a space like for the Radio City show then I'll look into that.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
There are two decent tickets for resale in ORCH4 row C, since it's resale so they're only being sold together, if anyone is interested in buying them with me please PM.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
There are two decent tickets for resale in ORCH4 row C, since it's resale so they're only being sold together, if anyone is interested in buying them with me please PM.
There are much better deals on StubHub.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Whoever wants to meet up beforehand, let me know. When I get a better idea of the amount of people, I'll know what to look for. If we have to rent out a space like for the Radio City show then I'll look into that.

Count me in, but just as 1.  I think my friend won't be hanging out pre-show unless his wife loosens up her clench on his balls.

Hope no one is backing out now that the album is out

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Your poor friend.

Well, so far it's just you and I.   :lol   I'm sure others will confirm with me when they get a chance. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Perusing this thread I'd say you're looking at 7 regulars at a minimum, plus SO's and people who haven't made up their minds yet. Since it's a weekend and in their home town, I'd think some more people will come aboard.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Indeed. I'll just walk the around the area when I'm up there next, which could be any day really. There are a few places I have in mind though.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
I forget where Nick and I are sitting for the concert, but I'll be heading into the city early for a boozy brunch and then barhopping for a bit before the show.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
OK...the trigger has been pulled!  NYC BABY!  Orch 4 row MM  :metal :metal :metal  SO Excited!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
CrimsonSunrise did you buy resale tickets? Cause I can't find anything around where you're sitting.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Just to confirm, I'm in.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Awesome!

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
I'm in for two.
Getting more and more excited for this show with each listen  :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
 :metal

I'll draw up a spreadsheet to keep track of who's in.

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
Well, shit...that's disappointing.  Hadn't been there since we met up, but the wife and I almost went over the holidays...of course, it would have been an aborted attempt.

Not like there aren't a couple of other decent restaurants in the city, though...   
Aw man, we've been losing Thai places in the city like crazy.  :(  My favorite "genre" of food... my go-to place in Hell's Kitchen (the locale, not the DT song ;)) closed up without a word a couple months back, and just before that I lost the one down the block from my apartment... now I have to order from the "other" Thai place in the neighborhood, and it's not the same.

Oh, right, on topic, uh, Orch 3, Row A, 311.  :)
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
What is the "other" Thai place? I'll check it out next time I'm working near it.

Offline pantsofeternity

What is the "other" Thai place? I'll check it out next time I'm working near it.
Well to clarify that's the "other" place in my neighborhood, which unless you happen to be in it -- Inwood -- is probably not convenient. :)  In midtown I'd recommend any of the Yum Yums (3 was my favorite, though they recently changed their menu) or Room Service... further downtown in the West Village I'm a fan of Tue Thai.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Well to clarify that's the "other" place in my neighborhood, which unless you happen to be in it -- Inwood -- is probably not convenient. :)  In midtown I'd recommend any of the Yum Yums (3 was my favorite, though they recently changed their menu) or Room Service... further downtown in the West Village I'm a fan of Tue Thai.

I work for the MTA and I'm based out of downtown Brooklyn. With that, I go to different locations depending on where they're having network issues, so I'm always looking for new places to eat.

Offline pantsofeternity

I work for the MTA and I'm based out of downtown Brooklyn. With that, I go to different locations depending on where they're having network issues, so I'm always looking for new places to eat.
You work for the MTA?  In that case, my apologies for all the times I've namelessly cursed you and your coworkers. ;)

"Yummy Thai" is where I get my pad ki mao in Inwood, if they ever send you up to the end of the A line.  Though if you're in Inwood, you should probably be checking out some south-of-the-border dishes... there's a place I tried recently called Cachapas y Mas which is delicious after a long day's work (or a long night's partying), though I recommend telling them to hold the sauce.  (Also their empanadas are cheap and excellent.)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
You work for the MTA?  In that case, my apologies for all the times I've namelessly cursed you and your coworkers. ;)

"Yummy Thai" is where I get my pad ki mao in Inwood, if they ever send you up to the end of the A line.  Though if you're in Inwood, you should probably be checking out some south-of-the-border dishes... there's a place I tried recently called Cachapas y Mas which is delicious after a long day's work (or a long night's partying), though I recommend telling them to hold the sauce.  (Also their empanadas are cheap and excellent.)

:lol

I curse at the subway, too. Unfortunately I have to wait like everybody else. Thankfully, I have nothing to do with the schedule. Transit workers are...lazy.

I'm going to write those places down. Thanks!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

:lol

I curse at the subway, too. Unfortunately I have to wait like everybody else. Thankfully, I have nothing to do with the schedule. Transit workers are...lazy.

I'm going to write those places down. Thanks!

Isn't the MTA building out a massive wifi network for the subways?  I think I had someone reach out to me about a job opportunity for that.

Offline pantsofeternity

Isn't the MTA building out a massive wifi network for the subways?  I think I had someone reach out to me about a job opportunity for that.
At the risk of derailing (HEYO! PUNS!), I think they're in the midst of that process, yeah.  I haven't seen many specific updates from them, but based on my observations over the past year or so, it's popping up in stations where I know it wasn't before.  Midtown has been mostly covered for a year or two now, but a lot of upper Manhattan stations have gotten it in recent months, so it's definitely spreading even to the "typically overlooked" stations.  It's a nice convenience, though as always I'd settle for the trains being on time. :)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
CrimsonSunrise did you buy resale tickets? Cause I can't find anything around where you're sitting.

Yes, I bought mine on stubhub.  It was tough trying to find a single ticket.  On Ticketmaster they had Platinum seating, row CC 3 seats in from the aisle for ORCH 4, but I would have had to buy 2 tix :(

Here's a link to the Platinum seats....

https://www.ticketmaster.com/dream-theater-new-york-new-york-04-23-2016/exchange/3C004F91B8AC1FC5?tm_link=edp_buytix

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
At the risk of derailing (HEYO! PUNS!), I think they're in the midst of that process, yeah.  I haven't seen many specific updates from them, but based on my observations over the past year or so, it's popping up in stations where I know it wasn't before.  Midtown has been mostly covered for a year or two now, but a lot of upper Manhattan stations have gotten it in recent months, so it's definitely spreading even to the "typically overlooked" stations.  It's a nice convenience, though as always I'd settle for the trains being on time. :)

Here's an article about it. 

https://www.mta.info/news-wi-fi-transit-wireless-subway/2015/11/12/start-next-phase-connect-37-stations-brooklyn-and

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm interested in meeting up as well for sure, would have a +1 w me. Let me know if I can help with anything, I work fairly close by.

PS has anyone received the physical tix they bought from DT.net yet? I bought on day they were released and purchased through songkick...

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark

Aw man, we've been losing Thai places in the city like crazy.  :(  My favorite "genre" of food... my go-to place in Hell's Kitchen (the locale, not the DT song ;)) closed up without a word a couple months back, and just before that I lost the one down the block from my apartment... now I have to order from the "other" Thai place in the neighborhood, and it's not the same.

The place El Barto and I met up was Cafetasia, by NYU...Thai, Vietnamese, Laotian.

I'll tell ya, Hoboken doesn't have shit for passable Thai food.  Maybe we got spoiled in Queens, where even the middle-of-the-road places were pretty good, but the place here that's allegedly the best is...not good.  Now when we want decent Thai, we go into SoHo.

Also, for as mob-run as Hoboken is, you'd think there'd be decent pizza here.  But you'd be wrong.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni

Yes, I bought mine on stubhub.  It was tough trying to find a single ticket.  On Ticketmaster they had Platinum seating, row CC 3 seats in from the aisle for ORCH 4, but I would have had to buy 2 tix :(

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness

Aw man, we've been losing Thai places in the city like crazy.  :(  My favorite "genre" of food... my go-to place in Hell's Kitchen (the locale, not the DT song ;) ) closed up without a word a couple months back, and just before that I lost the one down the block from my apartment... now I have to order from the "other" Thai place in the neighborhood, and it's not the same.

The place El Barto and I met up was Cafetasia, by NYU...Thai, Vietnamese, Laotian.

I'll tell ya, Hoboken doesn't have shit for passable Thai food.  Maybe we got spoiled in Queens, where even the middle-of-the-road places were pretty good, but the place here that's allegedly the best is...not good.  Now when we want decent Thai, we go into SoHo.

Also, for as mob-run as Hoboken is, you'd think there'd be decent pizza here.  But you'd be wrong.
Guess it's been a while since we've caught up. Had no idea you'd relocated.
E.F. Benson

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark

Aw man, we've been losing Thai places in the city like crazy.  :(  My favorite "genre" of food... my go-to place in Hell's Kitchen (the locale, not the DT song ;) ) closed up without a word a couple months back, and just before that I lost the one down the block from my apartment... now I have to order from the "other" Thai place in the neighborhood, and it's not the same.

Guess it's been a while since we've caught up. Had no idea you'd relocated.

Yeah, I was one of the refugees that got relocated when my old site on Long Island got closed down as part of the great Forest/Warner-Chilcott/Actavis/Durata/Furiex/Aptalis/Allergan (and soon to be Pfizer) pharmaceutical M&A orgy.  I work in Jersey City now.  I have better Manhattan access now then when I actually lived in the city.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Wow. For once I'm not anguished and bitter about not being invited to an orgy.
E.F. Benson