Author Topic: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*  (Read 59387 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*
« Reply #175 on: December 22, 2015, 11:41:11 AM »
Which one though, him not being in that specific scene or in the movie at all? He's listed on imdb atleast.

When I read it I got the impression that he wasn't in the movie at all, but I could have it wrong.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: December 22, 2015, 11:50:47 AM »
Why groaning?  I thought that was one of many nice little nuggets for the hard cores.

I should specify that I was groaning while smiling, shaking my head, and laughing. I pretty much did that at all the references throughout the movie. I found it really amusing, albeit not surprising) how they seemed to be shoving as many winks and nods in there as they possibly could.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #177 on: December 22, 2015, 02:03:21 PM »
I saw it last night, and other than there being one or two TOO many repetitions from Ep. 4, I thought it was sensational.  I will certainly be seeing it again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #178 on: December 22, 2015, 06:39:44 PM »
I saw it last night, and other than there being one or two TOO many repetitions from Ep. 4, I thought it was sensational.  I will certainly be seeing it again.

I thought the chess board was unnecessary; but the ball/blaster was quick and subtle enough that it was cute and amusing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #179 on: December 22, 2015, 07:08:25 PM »

I thought the chess board was unnecessary; but the ball/blaster was quick and subtle enough that it was cute and amusing.

While the chess board was an unnecessary reference, I thought it was a nice nod given that they brought in Phil Tippett to stop motion animate it exactly like the original, and the models have direct lineage to the originals. It even picked up where the original chess game ended apparently. It was the kind of detail that showed a lot of respect for the original movies.
I saw a good video on it only yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sexd06I8mzg
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2015, 07:17:48 PM »
After a few days of processing, I have to temper my original criticisms. Could they have done a hard sci-fi movie full of space politics and philosophy that would have appealed to a hardcore sci fi nerd like me? Sure. But Star Wars has to appeal to everyone, of all ages and fandom levels. Abrams handled it perfectly, as far as I'm concerned. Yes, it could have been something that I personally would have liked more, but Abrams did the impossible in creating a movie that will satisfy everyone.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #181 on: December 22, 2015, 09:11:22 PM »
Just saw it for a second time. My opinion of it is even higher than after the first viewing. Can't wait for Episode VIII. I think J.J. was smart to approach TFA the way he did - to me, it feels like a "Greatest Hits" package from the original trilogy fused with new characters and plot lines to ensure a safe transition to a new phase - but I feel like the next chapter is going to completely change things up on us.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline took_the_time11

« Reply #182 on: December 22, 2015, 09:59:32 PM »
I stood in line 3 hours with my friends to see it. I was not disappointed! I really like how Kylo Ren was portrayed as a whiny little sociopath who was very insecure. I have a theory about Supreme Leader Snoke, I think he is a resurrected form of Darth Plagueis. 
I know the Aries Code & I enjoy the right to date.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #183 on: December 23, 2015, 04:57:36 AM »
I saw it yesterday and was very happy with it.

Did it re-tread a lot of ANH ground? Sure, but I don't really mind. It makes sense why they did that and hopefully they go more of their own way with VIII.

I had a strong feeling Solo was going to die, but I was expecting them to save that for VIII as a "lowest point" kind of thing, so now I'm curious how bad things might get in the next one. If it is Luke that goes in VIII, I hope he does so in battle, not just standing there like Obi Wan did.

I really liked Star Killer base and was hoping that they would have just disarmed, dismantled it, to later destroy it in one of the sequels. It seemed too significant to just destroy right off the bat in the first movie, but oh well, its gone.

But overall I really liked it and I see myself re watching and enjoying it for many years to come.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #184 on: December 23, 2015, 07:30:59 AM »
When trailers come out, I never watch them because I don't watch trailers in general. I went back and saw the official trailer for TFA (I believe there's only one official trailer release and 2 teasers) and man did I get goosebumps watching that. The music is fantastic as are the images, I think I must've watched it a hundred times already.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: December 23, 2015, 07:32:39 AM »
When trailers come out, I never watch them because I don't watch trailers in general. I went back and saw the official trailer for TFA (I believe there's only one official trailer release and 2 teasers) and man did I get goosebumps watching that. The music is fantastic as are the images, I think I must've watched it a hundred times already.

I'm with you. The official trailer is a thing of beauty. I also loved the original teaser trailer from last year.

I love trailers...sometimes more than the movie itself.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #186 on: December 23, 2015, 07:59:51 AM »
Just saw it for a second time. My opinion of it is even higher than after the first viewing.

That's good to hear! I'm heading for my second viewing today at 12:30 with the family. Can't wait for my kiddos reactions!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: December 23, 2015, 08:13:23 AM »
Let us know what they thought after you see it! I'm really interested it what kids thought of the movie. It'd be great to see it make a lasting impression instead of most movies today that are forgotten the month after it came out.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: December 23, 2015, 08:30:58 AM »
Let us know what they thought after you see it! I'm really interested it what kids thought of the movie. It'd be great to see it make a lasting impression instead of most movies today that are forgotten the month after it came out.

I feel bad that they've never seen the prequels....but they LOVE the OT!! I'm curious to their reaction when Han dies....they really like him  :(  I'm going to be  just as curious about my wife's opinion of the movie because she grew up with the OT as well....was a 'casual' fan, and she said she's looking forward to it.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #189 on: December 23, 2015, 09:01:20 AM »
Interesting article about the differences between the novelization and the film. I'm beginning to think that Snoke faked his own death and used Sidious to take power.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-11-biggest-differences-between-the-book-and-movie-v-1749329046

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #190 on: December 23, 2015, 09:22:15 AM »
Interesting read, Kaos.  Scrolling through the comments a bit, I think one nailed why I am not quite as fussed about how silly the Starkiller was as I might otherwise be:

I think it all comes down to the visuals. It looks more impressive on the screen for the Starkiller to draw energy from a nearby star. It’s a constant reminder to the audience during those outdoors shots that the clock was ticking before it would be charged and ready to fire.

And the part where the sun finally goes dark just at that moment where Kylo Ren makes his fateful decision while having his heart-to-heart with his Dad worked beautifully.

And the beam being visible as it’s fired from the gun also works better visually than simply seeing planets explode. Good cinema is visual poetry, and from the POV shots on the planet of the beam firing upwards to the POV on the star destroyer watching it go on its way to exterminate billions, it really added to the horror of the act.

Good point.  The "visual poetry" of it created an emotional response that something a bit closer to "scientifically correct" probably would not have.  So...I guess I'm okay with it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: December 23, 2015, 09:28:24 AM »
Totally agree with the sun extinguishing, and then Kylo kills Han... I whispered to jingle.son "the light is extinguished".  I loved the double meaning of that scene, which was predicated by how Leia said to Han (re: Ren) "There is still light in him" vs Luke's line in ROTJ  "there is still good in him".
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: December 23, 2015, 09:48:39 AM »
Interesting read, Kaos.  Scrolling through the comments a bit, I think one nailed why I am not quite as fussed about how silly the Starkiller was as I might otherwise be:

I think it all comes down to the visuals. It looks more impressive on the screen for the Starkiller to draw energy from a nearby star. It’s a constant reminder to the audience during those outdoors shots that the clock was ticking before it would be charged and ready to fire.

And the part where the sun finally goes dark just at that moment where Kylo Ren makes his fateful decision while having his heart-to-heart with his Dad worked beautifully.

And the beam being visible as it’s fired from the gun also works better visually than simply seeing planets explode. Good cinema is visual poetry, and from the POV shots on the planet of the beam firing upwards to the POV on the star destroyer watching it go on its way to exterminate billions, it really added to the horror of the act.

Good point.  The "visual poetry" of it created an emotional response that something a bit closer to "scientifically correct" probably would not have.  So...I guess I'm okay with it.

It's like poetry, sort of. They rhy-ah whatever.

I think those are really good points actually. People need to take the art of story telling in movies into account more often instead picking apart "plot holes" in movies like Inception or TDKR where those kinds of details weren't the point.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #193 on: December 23, 2015, 09:52:24 AM »
Totally agree with the sun extinguishing, and then Kylo kills Han... I whispered to jingle.son "the light is extinguished".  I loved the double meaning of that scene, which was predicated by how Leia said to Han (re: Ren) "There is still light in him" vs Luke's line in ROTJ  "there is still good in him".
Great point.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #194 on: December 23, 2015, 10:49:10 AM »
got tickets to see it in IMAX at the SF Matron theater, one of 6 in the US that utilizes the IMAX with laser technology  :hefdaddy
super last minute and reserved seating so i won't have a prime spot, but just going at all is worth it to me  :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #195 on: December 23, 2015, 11:10:27 AM »
got tickets to see it in IMAX at the SF Matron theater, one of 6 in the US that utilizes the IMAX with laser technology  :hefdaddy
super last minute and reserved seating so i won't have a prime spot, but just going at all is worth it to me  :tup
I am super jelly

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: December 23, 2015, 11:13:38 AM »
I am super jelly

Saw it in IMAX with jingle.son yesterday.  Was totally worth it.  Some of the shots of the new star destroyers were excellent in 3D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2015, 11:46:44 AM »
Yeah, there were good even though JJ didn't shoot it for 3D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2015, 12:01:27 PM »
I wish they had IMAX that wasn't in 3D. :(

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: December 23, 2015, 12:05:01 PM »

I agree with you.  Sometimes those glasses bother me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #200 on: December 23, 2015, 12:15:20 PM »

I agree with you.  Sometimes those glasses bother me.
Why?  They don't have spell check?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: December 23, 2015, 12:20:02 PM »
Why I oughta ......

I just don't enjoy the big clumsy glasses on my face.  2D in I-Max is just as amazing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #202 on: December 23, 2015, 12:36:23 PM »
The 3D was a bit weird when I saw it the first time. Sometimes the image was double, which was a bit distracting.

Second time was 2D though, something I prefer these days. But the 3D really helped to sell the size of some things. Especially the star destroyers, those looked freakin' huge. Scale was something this movie did better than any other Star Wars movie so far. Everything that was supposed to look big really looked massive.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #203 on: December 23, 2015, 12:40:21 PM »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: December 23, 2015, 03:14:06 PM »

Just got back. The boys LOVED it! They were ear to ear smiles the whole time....first time they've ever seen a 3D movie....and the final act of the attack on Starkiller base and the saber duel they were on the edge of their seats. They haven't stopped talking about it and asking me questions since it ended  :lol

A couple comments after my second viewing:

Thought the first conversation between BB-8 and Rey was funny and interesting...
   Rey: Where are you from?
   BB-8: It's classified
   Rey: Its' classified...oh really....me too, it's a big secret  :lol

Also:

- Han absolutely knew Ren was going to kill him and there was no hope he'd "turn'. He says things like "we lost our son"..."too much Vader in him"....and when Leah asks him to bring him home when they are hugging the look in his eyes and face says it all....Ford did a great job at showing Han absolutely knew he was going to die trying to convince Ren to 'come home'

- Leah knows who Rey is. I don't think there's any question in my mind now that she is Luke's daughter.

- The 'vision' sequence that Rey has is way more interesting when you're ready to 'look for' things.

Also, concerning Rey vs Ren and the whole battle of the force. It just becomes more easy to 'see' in the movie how the light side of the force is guiding Rey unbeknownst to her the whole time....and how Ren really is just an apprentice. The first go round when Ren tried to break Rey's mind when they were on the planet surface he was having an issue...and it was cut short by stormtroopers but it gave Rey a dose of what to prepare for. Plus, they show her early on in the movie kicking a couple guys butts so physical battle isn't something she's unfamiliar with.

The saber duel between them at the end....Ren is all over the place and is not 'technical' at all. He's just flailing away. It'll be neat to see his skills increase as well.

All in all the second viewing was just as good if not better than the first. I'm gonna go one more time I think, but I can definitely see that this movie will reveal 'small' details the more views you throw at it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: December 23, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »
What's with people not knowing how to spell Leia?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: December 23, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »

It sounds the same in my head.... :biggrin:

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #207 on: December 23, 2015, 03:37:59 PM »
I liked it a lot. That's not saying much, because I also like the prequels (and Attack might be my #2 SW movie ever), but it didn't disappoint me in the slightest. Kylo is a really different and interesting villain and it's great to see Han Solo once again. Also, it didn't just copy ANH storyline - it copied the ANH storyline so much it was kind of bold and defiant, and I loved it. The pseudo-Death star, the key info hidden in the droid, the depressing desert planet, the killing of the father-figure...

And I have a serious crush on Daisy Ridley, both as an actress and as Rey. I would buy the whole trilogy on BluRay, even if only for her.
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: December 23, 2015, 04:19:53 PM »

It sounds the same in my head.... :biggrin:

Welcome to my world.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #209 on: December 23, 2015, 06:53:26 PM »

Do they use the standard polarized glasses? You could always buy/make yourself a pair of 2D glasses to watch it in 2D if you really want the benefit of the bigger screen.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.