Author Topic: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*  (Read 59432 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*
« on: December 16, 2015, 08:24:04 AM »
Discussion in this thread is for those who have seen it or do not mind getting spoilers.  Keep the other thread spoiler-free. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 09:45:05 AM »
SPOILER

I'm seeing this tonight at midnight. I'll post here my thoughts when i'm home.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 01:35:16 PM »
People predicted that it would be a beat-for-beat retelling of A New Hope, and judging by what people have been saying, they were right. I guess I'll have to see for myself soon.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 02:59:35 PM »
Saw it a few hours ago. I really have to sleep, so I'll join in on the discussion tomorrow. For now I will only say this; the movie is awesome.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 03:20:10 PM »
For one thing - I really want Mike Stoklasa's prediction of the Starkiller Base being inside the ice planet and at the end - it sheds the planet and "activates".

That will look amazing on the big screen.

But mostly i'm up for all the flying scenes. I'm a sucker for aerial photography.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 07:41:51 PM »
Ok I just got back from the cinema.

... First off - it's really good. If you are a fan of the original trilogy - I don't see how you could not love this one.

... And yeah - as has been hinted at - it's pretty much A New Hope again. Which is fine.

The first Falcon chase scene on Jakku -  :corn :corn :corn OMG - so good.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 07:16:47 AM »
The ANH parallels are so obvious, and must be intentional. Given the elements they had to work with, such as Kylo Ren's obsession with Vader, and the Resistance, it made some sense in universe. I expect the next movie to be much more original in that regard now that they've regained the fans' trust.

BB-8 was excellent, and the "acting" was cute and hilarious (and I'm pretty sure its voice is Bebot). Everyone was cracking up during the exchange on the Falcon between BB-8, Fin and Rey. Rey, Fin and Poe were all great, and did a good job of carrying the movie. I'm glad they gave plenty of time to the new characters, and there's still a lot of room for each character to develop. Chewy and Han were awesome to have back too. The dialogue all felt much more real than the prequels, and the humour flowed naturally from it for every character.

Some of the old elements was a bit much at times, but it didn't really bother me, it just felt unlikely. Luke's lightsaber was just in that building the whole time, the Falcon was just sitting there as the first ship in range, a few other minor things.

I loved the fighting style all around. Those stormtroopers were going down in all sorts of glorious ways, and I never got tired of seeing them fly. The lightsaber fights weren't pretty, they were frantic, a little clumsy, and much like a real sword fight where you're both going to get hurt, and it's not going to be a 15 minute choreographed dance routine. The lack of skill of the characters made the fights much better.

On the negative side, I didn't really like Kylo Ren or Snoke much. Kylo Ren felt too frat-boy copycat criminal. Snoke's CG was just offputting. Actually, most of the CG characters felt a bit offputting compared to the physical creatures, like that orange midget with the glasses. I also didn't like the ending. They spend the whole movie trying to find Luke, but BB-8's map is incomplete.  Then at the end R2-D2 just decides to wake up now and had the other 90% of the map the whole time. It felt like a rushed ending to set up the next movie. Luke looked awesome in the Jedi robes with his contractually obligated beard.

Overall I thought it was very good, and enjoyed it. It felt like a long movie, but not slow, more packed full of a lot to digest. In some ways it felt like classic Star Wars, but it also brought a lot of new elements to it that wouldn't have been possible in the OT or even the PT, and gave it a new feel of its own that made it fresh and exciting.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 09:04:19 AM »
I loved BB-8.

The part when Rey was investigating Maz's place and she heard the lightsabre calling. You see BB-8 in the background carefully coming down the stairs - looking downwards to check each step at a time.

:laugh: :laugh: :heart

Seeing as how much Simon Pegg hated the prequels - it's hugely ironic that his role in this is basically Watto :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 09:09:05 AM »
I loved BB-8.

The part when Rey was investigating Maz's place and she heard the lightsabre calling. You see BB-8 in the background carefully coming down the stairs - looking downwards to check each step at a time.

Oh yes, that was the cutest thing ever. I couldn't take my eyes of him in the background.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 09:11:58 AM »
Actually amazing how emotive he was considering he had no face.

And that "thumbs up" lighter moment :rollin

I'm supposed to be seeing it on a much bigger screen next week but I was sitting at home after being inside all day watching Tested and Playing Final Fantasy and I suddenly thought

:o Is my cinema showing TFA at midnight ?! And they were and I bought my ticket there and then.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 09:19:13 AM »
Actually amazing how emotive he was considering he had no face.

And that "thumbs up" lighter moment :rollin

That got the biggest laugh of the whole movie. The bit before it with the back and forth looks was hilarious too.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 10:04:18 AM »
After seeing this -  I wish JJ was doing all 3 but I guess they have the "look" down now. It would be silly if the production designer and D.O.P and everyone was different for Episodes 8 & 9.

I'm guessing it's the same crew just a different director.

But I will say that JJ has certainly proved that he can direct. This is by far his best film. Surely the film he was destined to make.

It would have been cool if Episode 7 opened with " 30 years later..." after the crawl. As if it was the direct sequel to Jedi.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 10:57:53 AM »
I loved Rey, she was probably my favorite character in the movie. When she was out at the end and Finn picked up the lightsaber I was a bit disappointed because I wanted to see Rey fight Kylo-Ren. That was the fight I really wanted to see, and I was so happy when it happened later.

And I disagree with you Blob, I loved Kylo-Ren. He was an amazing villain. Snoke though, I'm not too sure about... I'll have to wait for the next movies before judging him, and I guess he was functional here. But yes, the CGI sort of stood out.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 10:59:17 AM »
Kylo was probably more menacing with his mask off.

As soon as he took his mask off I was like " Bingo. He's not Luke - like anyone seriously thought he was..."

I don't get why they were not saying anything about Luke in promo. He just shows up at the end for 1 minute and doesn't say a word.

Is that the big twist ? Will he feature more in the next one ?

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 11:05:35 AM »
He will probably be in the next one more. And I thought that ending was perfect.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 03:21:02 PM »
Pretty sure he will train Rey in 8 like Yoda trained Luke in 5. I thought the ending was amazing because you left the theater wanting more, and if they had put in 5-10 minutes with Luke and him talking, explaining, swinging a lightsaber, we wouldn't have left the movie AS hyped.

TFA didn't need Luke Skywalker in the movie to carry the movie, and so when he finally appears, you get that "OMG OMG OMG" reaction and you can't wait for the next one

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 05:06:29 PM »
I'll post my opinions.
  • I found Finn really interesting, Boyega did an amazing performance and his story arc was really well done
  • Poe Dameron was great. He was crucial to the story and a really memorable character, even when he didn't have as much screen time as Rey or Finn.
  • I reeeally liked Maz Kanata. I hope she plays a relevant role in the next movies.
  • Kylo Ren wasn't as menacing as a lot of people expected him to be, but I was fine with that. He's kind of an evil and better version of Anakin. I think he's meant to be that way in the first movie and I'm actually interested in what he will become in episode VIII. He has already killed his father and has been almost defeated by Rey, something that has surely fueled him with rage and turned him completely to the dark side. I hope he becomes a more complete villain in the next episodes.
  • Rey was great, but I felt they gave her too much power. At the end of the first movie she has beaten Kylo Ren, a well-trained and powerful apprentice of the Dark Side, and has already used Jedi Mind Tricks. I don't remember Anakin or Luke being so powerful when using the force for the first time: even Qui-Gon, who was an experienced Jedi Master, had trouble using mind tricks on Episode I
  • Overall, great movie. It has a lot of things going on but it doesn't feel heavy or with a boring plot. It really leaves you amped for the next one and I think it lives up to the expectations I had
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:13:42 PM by LCArenas »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 05:11:23 PM »
I'm not reading anything in this thread at all. I only came here to post my speculation before I go to see it on Saturday. That way I can have some bragging rights if it turns out that I'm right. LOL

My thought is that JJ has been planning this very well all along. He wants everyone to think that Luke is the bad guy. He's geared up all the rumors and all the material to keep Luke's identity secret. I wouldn't put it past him to Have actually started the rumor that Luke is the bad guy. Even within the realm of the movie I'm betting that Han and Leah and the new characters are all under the impression that Luke is the bad guy. But then the big reveal will turn out to be that he's not.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 09:33:29 PM »
I usually have to let a movie digest for a while before I really rate it, but these are my initial thoughts after immediately seeing it. The characters, especially Finn and Rey were extremely strong, and I was rooting for them the whole time. I actually really enjoyed Driver's performance as Kylo, specifically when the mask was off. With the mask on, it felt a bit silly at times, but without it, he was genuinely terrifying. They shoved in as many references as they possibly could, and then shoved in some more, but that's about what I expected. So that was okay. The third act really slowed down for me, but I can't yet pin point why. Something that I kept thinking about in the end X-Wing dog fights was how much more on the edge of my seat I am at the end of ANH, despite seeing it so much.

The only thing that confused me was how there was still the Republic and the Senate. Wasn't it established that the Senate was dissolved the Republic was "swept away" in the first few minutes of ANH?

Online faizoff

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 09:38:42 PM »
After watching this movie in the theater I can only but feel content. It's actually made me a fanboy of the series again. I feel giddy and I totally sucked up the fan service and didn't at all mind the callbacks and the rehashing of A New Hope at times. To me it felt more like a mixture of ANH and ESB. I don't think I was bored for a single second of the movie. I LOVED all of it. My first thought when the movie finished was that I wanted to see it again right away.

It felt like a natural flow of dialogue and comedy in the movie. Carrie Fisher looked really old, looked much older than Mark Hammill and Harrison Ford
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 10:08:06 PM »
Though this review has no spoilers, it almost entirely echoes my emotions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh_84ExOdhU
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 10:50:07 PM »
Kylo Ren's character was absolutely fantastic. He is the child of Leia (who knows the force but never really tapped into it much as far as we know), and Han. So after Luke decided he couldn't teach Kylo because he simply wouldn't learn, Kylo went to the dark side with Snoke and became very powerful at the physical manipulation of the force (could hold a god damn laser bolt in midair). But he is still childish. When he is angry something doesn't go his way, he has a terrible tantrum, swinging that lightsaber around. Notice the lightsaber he owns isn't very well made, how ragged it is, how it buzzes and flickers. Rey (who I have no doubt is a Skywalker) was able to resist Kylo simply through her untapped powers. When she realized she could resist, a lightbulb went off in her head, and she began to utilize the force. For her it seemed to almost be intuition.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:00:51 PM by Lucien »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 10:58:36 PM »
  • Rey was great, but I felt they gave her too much power. At the end of the first movie she has beaten Kylo Ren, a well-trained and powerful apprentice of the Dark Side, and has already used Jedi Mind Tricks. I don't remember Anakin or Luke being so powerful when using the force for the first time: even Qui-Gon, who was an experienced Jedi Master, had trouble using mind tricks on Episode I

Yeah, for someone who thought the force was just a myth until that day, and had literally zero training, she was pretty powerful. She Jedi mind tricked a stormtrooper after only a couple of attempts, and stood up to Kylo Ren who had some training from Luke. She better turn out to be some hella powerful one of a kind force user for that. Obviously she has an important backstory we've yet to fully discover, maybe she's Luke's kid or whatever, so I'll leave it to future films to justify her power. She wasn't told about specifically force powers that I know of, so I'm surprised she never once tried these things before just for a laugh.
Similarly, how did Han go 40 years without ever once trying Chewie's bowcaster?

One thing I got thinking about is that we had Kylo Ren, son of Leia and Han, trained by Luke, who somehow still went off the rails to the darkside (hopefully that will be explained more in later films, how Snoke lured him similarly to Anakin/Palpatine), and then on the flip side we have Fin who was raised his entire life with First Order propaganda to take out the Rebels and think Luke was the most evil person ever, had no trouble turning good with absolutely no hint of doubt that he might betray the Rebels.

Not criticisms, just thoughts.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 11:13:11 PM »
I actually like that they didn't make Kylo Ren this all powerful Sith lord yet. He was very much a Sith in training (by Snoke) and considering the last Jedi (Luke) had gone into hiding, Kylo Ren didn't NEED to be a Vader-type of character yet, because he hasn't faced real competition. Even at his level of powers, he will still take out normal soldiers without much effort. But when he comes across a real force user, he has underestimated them from the start and it's a close fight.

I think it will be interesting to see an arc for him when he also has to train and get better over the movies.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2015, 12:19:17 AM »
Just got back......loved it. I've read most of the comments and I agree with a lot of them.

- Rey having that much power didn't bother me a bit. In fact, I think that it only alludes to how important she is. The little orange character pointing out that the saber was calling for her....her vision...the force.....it just seems like she's obviously strong with the force naturally and it's using her to balance things out and get Luke off his a$$.

- Kylo Ren is a great character IMO that is only going to improve. As someone said....his tantrums are clearly a lack of experience and it's funny because it's essentially how a spoiled kid acts when they don't get their way. As was mentioned here......he's a total badass when dealing with numbskulls and 'conventional' warfare....but throw someone else strong with the force at him and he's exposed. I'm willing to bet that's why he fled Luke and went to Snoke.....Snoke had an 'easier' path to power....Luke wanted the slow burn.

- it was evident even before Leiah asked Han to bring their son home that Kylo was going to kill Solo. But when she said that it sealed the deal in my head. It makes sense for the story and for future movies. Ford isn't getting younger and I thought they did a good job of basically introducing Finn as Hans replacement as far as humor, predicaments...etc.

Very satisfied with the movie...probably go see it again in a few days with the kids.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2015, 12:34:04 AM »
Also....who was the old guy in the village that gave the map to Poe? He knows who Ren is, Ren knew him but I couldn't place the guy?

When we see Snoke 'in person' I'm willing to bet he's actually very tiny....like yoda tiny. The over emphasis on him being large just screams compensation. Still not sure why he had to be CGI though?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2015, 12:41:06 AM »
I think Andy Serkis said that Snoke is 7' tall.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2015, 12:59:58 AM »
Also....who was the old guy in the village that gave the map to Poe? He knows who Ren is, Ren knew him but I couldn't place the guy?

When we see Snoke 'in person' I'm willing to bet he's actually very tiny....like yoda tiny. The over emphasis on him being large just screams compensation. Still not sure why he had to be CGI though?

Max Von Sydow.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2015, 02:00:43 AM »
Maybe the CGI for Snoke was to give a hologram type feel.

Also, I have no problen with Rey being powerful. Snoke sensed an "awakening," and JJ mentioned that because of that, we would see things we haven't seen from the force yet.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2015, 02:06:07 AM »
Also, do a google image search for Darth Plagueis and tell me if that doesn't remind you of a certain someone...

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2015, 03:18:41 AM »
I think Andy Serkis said that Snoke is 7' tall.

That makes me happy. Immense power is always more impressive in someone who isn't super huge.

Also, do a google image search for Darth Plagueis and tell me if that doesn't remind you of a certain someone...

I thought that as well, but I don't think that look is canon anymore. It would be awesome though.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2015, 03:59:34 AM »
Just got home, and am tired as hell, but I gotta say they nailed it. I kept catching myself being swept away in wonder, feeling like I did when I first saw Ep 4. They did one hell of a job with it, and I can't wait to see it again!!!

Edit- just realized Abrams blew up Vulcan and killed of Solo. Talk about shaking the fucking tree....
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 04:08:56 AM by lonestar »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2015, 04:50:32 AM »
Ford always wanted Solo to die.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2015, 04:57:42 AM »
Yep, and he never seemed to have any interest in revisiting Han Solo, and it was rumoured from the very start that they'd finally kill off Solo as he wanted in the OT. It's possibly For only agreed to do the new movies under the provision that Solo died, and I'm sure Disney threw a big bag of money at him even for that much involvement.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2015, 05:26:14 AM »
To be fair, he had quite a bit of involvement this time around. The reason Ford wanted Solo to die was because  he felt the character had nothing more to offer after Empire and that his death would show the evolution of his character, from "Han shot first" to "hero of the day." Anyway, I told my friends that in order for it to be a true passing of the torch, the OT characters have to become somewhat irrelevant. I predicted a few deaths; I'm betting more to come.