Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 24479 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #315 on: April 06, 2017, 08:32:38 AM »
I was painting this weekend and I was just putting on music that struck me - some Flying Colors, some Neal Morse, some Transatlantic - and it dawned on me that I could just make a "Portnoy Playlist" and be done with it.  Blackmore is by far my favorite musician and has been since 1982 or so, but I think I probably listen to more "Portnoy" than any musician in my collection (and I have about 1,500 CDs).
I would classify that list as Neal Morse, not Mike Portnoy.

But that's just me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #316 on: April 06, 2017, 08:47:36 AM »
Well, to be fair, Portnoy has probably done more albums than just about any other musician in your (or anybody's) collection.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #317 on: April 06, 2017, 08:50:29 AM »
Well it sounds like The Winery Dogs is on hold for a couple of years. I'm okay with that as I much prefer Flying Color and Neal Morse.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/richie-kotzen-on-the-winery-dogs-future-i-dont-foresee-anything-happening-for-a-couple-of-years/
Opposite for me. FC never did anything for me, and they're not going to tour down here. While WD is hit or miss, they have enough very good music to put on one helluva good show which they seem to bring to Dallas twice per tour. I'll miss seeing them.

With that said, after the last show down here (end of the last tour) I kind of started to think Kotzen probably isn't going to be a longterm thing, so I'm not hugely surprised.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zydar

• Psonic Pswede
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: April 08, 2017, 09:00:11 AM »
Just watched a pretty interesting interview with MP done by the official DT fan club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqdtOmVNraw

Offline Prog Snob

• Truth is not for all men, only those who seek it.
« Reply #319 on: April 08, 2017, 09:05:04 AM »
I'll add that to my Watch Later pile. Thanks for the link.