Author Topic: Untitled/unlisted interludes on albums  (Read 1095 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Untitled/unlisted interludes on albums
« on: April 01, 2017, 12:25:26 PM »
On two of my recent album purchases, there is a section that appears at the end of a track that is musically unrelated to what came before and what comes after it. So much so I've come to assume that they are 'hidden' interludes, untitled and unlisted on the album. One appears on Southern Empire's self-titled debut (between Hold and How Long), and the other comes after #Addicted from Riverside's Love, Fear and the Time Machine.

Do you have other examples of this?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Untitled/unlisted interludes on albums
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 03:24:09 PM »
On REM's Automatic For The People - there's about 3 seconds of a string section just before nightswimming.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 08:09:31 PM »
The ones that immediately come to mind are:
• on Crystal Method's Vegas album, between High Roller and Comin' Back
• on Depeche Mode's Violator album, between Enjoy the Silence and Policy of Truth, and between Blue Dress and Clean
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 08:47:40 PM »
On The Damned's Strawberries album, there's a 30 second interlude that was unlisted on original pressings of the album, between tracks 7 and 8, but it was indexed as it's own track and titled "The Missing Link" on the deluxe cd. There's also this distinctive drum beat that plays in between certain songs, which kind of serves as a recurring interlude.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 09:52:53 PM »
"Compassion" by The Flower Kings (on their album Stardust We Are) features a hidden track after the main song, with no hint as to its existence by name or title or anything. The song is only 4:45 long by the track continues til 8:40. It's technically at the end of Disc 1, but as I listen to albums digitally more often than not, it's a bridge between that song and the first on Disc 2 to me.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 10:05:58 PM »
Can you take me back where I came from
Can you take me back
Can you take me back where I came from
Brother can you take me back
Can you take me back?

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 10:27:14 PM »
Most songs have them on Octavarium for the 'black key' semitone key changes between proper songs.

Another obvious one is Opeth's "Reverie," usually found at the end of "Atonement" because the default CD rip setting is to append the pregap to the previous song. Even the vinyl does it (with "Harlequin Forest" on the next side). It has a title, though! So... doesn't really count.

Some favourites are pre-track one:
Rammstein - Reise, Reise
Mayhem - Grand Declaration of War
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
The Gathering - Black Light District, Souvenirs (though apparently they are titled "Over You" and "Telson" respectively)

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 11:13:22 AM »
Periphery does one pretty much every other song.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 11:36:57 PM »
the Dave Matthews Band album Before These Crowded Streets has several interludes that are unlisted
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 07:34:17 AM »
This is more common than it seems.  REM has a ton of them (I can recall one's on Murmur, Reckoning, Monster - after "Bang and Blame", and Up) and the Beatles did it in '68 on the White Album.  At the end of "Cry Baby Cry" is an uncredited snippet by Paul called "Can You Take Me Back". 

If I can, I separate these on my iPod using iMovie software.  I think it's neat. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »
This is more common than it seems.  REM has a ton of them (I can recall one's on Murmur, Reckoning, Monster - after "Bang and Blame", and Up) and the Beatles did it in '68 on the White Album.  At the end of "Cry Baby Cry" is an uncredited snippet by Paul called "Can You Take Me Back". 

If I can, I separate these on my iPod using iMovie software.  I think it's neat.

Shit dude I just came in here to post the one after Bang & Blame :P

Isn't the one on UP the song with Stipe playing guitar ? It's not listed on the tracklisting.