Author Topic: DreamTheaterForums donation contest -- ***WINNERS ANNOUNCED***  (Read 9205 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
DreamTheaterForums donation contest -- ***WINNERS ANNOUNCED***
« on: December 03, 2015, 09:57:32 PM »
For those who may be newer on the forums, you may not know that since this forum started in 2007, it has been run on a volunteer basis with all of our fees either being paid by me personally or by donations made by forum members.  Although we have not done this in a couple of years, it is once again time for our donations contest.  And this time around, I have lots of cool prizes directly from the band's own vaults.  So I am once again offering prizes for those who donate $10 or more between now and January 15th.

Anyone donating any amount will recieve DTF Alumni status, indicated by green stars/bars under your user name and green user status.  Anyone donating $10 or more will be eligible for a drawing at the end of the contest for one several prizes, including:
-Dream Theater CD's.
-Dream Theater DVD/BluRays.
-Transatlantic Official Bootleg DVD (this is the DVD that is being sold exclusively at the merch booth on the TA Whirlwind tour)
-Systematic Chaos tour book, in brand new condition
-Dream Theater Silver Anniversary poster
-Tour laminates
-Vintage DT tour and Prog Nation tour shirts

Rules:
1.  Donate $10 or more by January 15, 2016 by using the Paypal donation link on the forum
2.  PM me the details of your donation with the words "2015 donations contest" in the title so I can keep track.  (user name, real name, date of donation, amount)

PLEASE NOTE:  You must follow the rules above.  There will be no exceptions.  Somebody a few years ago did not send me the proper information, waited until well after the fact, and did not end up receiving their prize as a result.  I really NEED to clean out my PM inbox because I have over 1,000 PM's.  That isn't your problem; it's mine.  BUT what it means to you if you are donating is that you must PM me accurate details on time with the proper title in your PM or else I might miss your message and it may then end up lost in the PM abyss.  Don't let this be you!   :biggrin:

Whether you donate or not, thank you all for the years and for your continued support of the forum, monetary or otherwise.

FAQ:  "How much should I donate?"  I get this question a lot.  There isn't really a right answer.  I've had single donations of as little as a few dollars and as much as a couple of hundred.  It's up to you.  Every bit helps cover the costs of running this place.  If I had to answer, I guess my "preferred" amount would be $35.  But please don't let that deter you if you want to give and can't give that much.  As I said, every bit helps and is appreciated.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:13:41 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Darkstarshades

Does a hug count as a donation?
I love you guys, thanks for making this place be.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Does a hug count as a donation?

I will accept it with thanks.  But no dice on being eligible for prizes.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Donated $5 :)

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Where do I find the Paypal link?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Sure, why not. I'll donate something on weekend. Don't think I can make it $35 seeing how cheap rouble is now, but I'll see what I can do.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

"Donate!" at the top of the site.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Done and done.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

"Donate!" at the top of the site.

Or if you're like me and using one of the basic forum themes, you may need to temporarily change it to one of the DTF specific themes for the donate button to appear.

I just donated $11, because it's one louder, isn't it? I didn't donate for prizes, but that SC tour book would be sweeeeeet.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Only sent $5 so probably don't need to PM...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Only sent $5 so probably don't need to PM...

Do we PM bosk to get alumni status? That goes for any donation amount. I believe that's what also scores you a bigger PM inbox.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh ok then :)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Oh, gifts and contest entry aside, I'd pay for more inbox space anyday!

But yea I'll probably donate somewhere around 5$, 10$ if I'm feeling lucky. Need to make a PayPal account tho.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Done!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Done just now. Been here too long and had too much fun here that not doing this would feel weird. A sincere thank you for maintaining this favourite internet spot of mine :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline tristl

• DTF.org Alumni
  • when dreams and tristl unite
i just donated 15 $, i am very sorry that i post very seldom, but i am there every evening and check whats going on, so thanks to all who are posting and making my evening :metal.
hopefully in future i will have a little more time to post myself.
ps. i have tickets for the 6th of march in paris and for the 15th of march in my hometown frankfurt and i am fucking exited :metal :hefdaddy
Carpe diem baby

Offline Kix

• DTF.org Alumni
Instead of a £ donation, I'd be happy to donate 6 more items to the prizes (bosk1, I can post to you if you PM me an address). All are mint condition -

2009 CD promo in cardboard sleeve of 'A Rite Of Passage' (3 tracks - same song, various edits)
2007 CD promo in cardboard sleeve of 'Forsaken' (1 track)
2009 CD promo in cardboard sleeve of 'Wither' (4 tracks - 3 versions of Wither + The Best Of Times)
2007 CD promo in cardboard sleeve of 'Constant Motion' (radio & album edit) - signed by the full band line-up at the time
2011 CD promo in cardboard sleeve of 'On The Backs Of Angels' (1 track) - signed by the full band line-up at the time
2012 CD promo in acetate sleeve of 'Build Me Up, Break Me Down' (1 track) - signed by the full band line-up at the time

Signatures are authentic, they signed them in front of me. :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Thanks, guys.  I will go through my PM's tonight or later this weekend and update forum status.  Thanks for the support.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Made a donation, my first time donating to the forum.  I've been around for a long time so that was long over due.  Thanks Bosk and the mods for making this forum an awesome place to be on the web.  :tup

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Turns out it's quite a pain in the ass to donate through the link if you're living in Russia, because Paypal doesn't allow Russian customers to transfer money to its internal account, all the purchases and transfers are happening directly from the credit card; and my credit card is apparently ineligible to make the transfer from (I suspect it's because it has roubles set as a currency). :lol

Would it be alright if I just send the money to the e-mail (the one that shows when you use the "Donate!" link) through the Paypal without using the link itself? It appears I'm allowed to do that, dunno why I can't make the donation through the link work.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Yea apparently to link your bank account and pay by something else than credit card you need to verify your details and wait a few days for PayPal to send you an amount of a few cents, then you enter those amounts and it'll allow you to transfer money the regular way. I'm waiting for that damn verification.  :sadpanda:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Bosk, I just sent $0,20 to the e-mail without using a "Donate!" link, because I still can't seem to make it work with my credit card. Can you confirm that it worked and you've got the money when it's possible? I'll do a real donation after that. Just want to know that my money didn't fly off to nowhere, I guess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Bosk, I just sent $0,20 to the e-mail without using a "Donate!" link, because I still can't seem to make it work with my credit card. Can you confirm that it worked and you've got the money when it's possible? I'll do a real donation after that. Just want to know that my money didn't fly off to nowhere, I guess.

I will look into it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Instead of a £ donation, I'd be happy to donate 6 more items to the prizes (bosk1, I can post to you if you PM me an address). All are mint condition -

2009 CD promo in cardboard sleeve of 'A Rite Of Passage' (3 tracks - same song, various edits)
2007 CD promo in cardboard sleeve of 'Forsaken' (1 track)
2009 CD promo in cardboard sleeve of 'Wither' (4 tracks - 3 versions of Wither + The Best Of Times)
2007 CD promo in cardboard sleeve of 'Constant Motion' (radio & album edit) - signed by the full band line-up at the time
2011 CD promo in cardboard sleeve of 'On The Backs Of Angels' (1 track) - signed by the full band line-up at the time
2012 CD promo in acetate sleeve of 'Build Me Up, Break Me Down' (1 track) - signed by the full band line-up at the time

Signatures are authentic, they signed them in front of me. :)

:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Done diddly done.

Goddamn fx.  :zeltar:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
:emo: Still waiting for my Alumni Status and green stars.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks like your wait is over Kotow. Congrats!

Looks like my donation cleared the bank as well.

Also, bump for a good cause. Donate folks.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I get paid tomorrow. If I remember I'll donate!

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
I am also one of those users who checks this place every day, sometimes spending 30mins - 1h on the forums but who is too lazy to log in and to post. And I have been around forever even though my post count does not tell. Big round of applause to everybody who keeps this place alive and who takes care that this such a friendly place, it is a pleasure to satisfy my prog Information needs here.

I just donated 35 dollars even though I already own a lot of those items. But for me it is not about the reward, but to say thanks to Bosk in special. However one of those signed CDs would be niiiiiiiceeeeee!  :tup

Greetings from Germany, Hamburg... You guys rock  :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:24:49 AM by thedrumanimal »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
 :tup

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
Donated $15

PM'd you Bosky :D

Offline mikeyd23

This is cool, I get paid later this week and will donate then!

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Donated $10. Thanks for creating such an amazing forum. Love you guys. (I don't need you're beer!)
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
Just donated $10  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
:emo: Still waiting for my Alumni Status and green stars.

Waiting as well, I donated with credit card via paypal and see it cleared my credit card already.  No rush or anything for status, just want to make sure the donation was received.