Author Topic: ToN's Top 50 Albums! #1: Just Push Play  (Read 27851 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Train of Naught's Top 50 Albums! Holy Shit... The Catatonic Puppetmaster
« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2015, 07:32:48 AM »
That just might be the single best 3 album update in the history of Top 50 threads!  :metal :metal :metal

Perhaps... but if so, why are we only in 30s?

Excellent question. One I was pondering myself.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #141 on: December 12, 2015, 07:39:32 AM »
I guess Nickelback doesn't have 30 albums so yea you might be in for one or two out of the ordinary albums.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #142 on: December 12, 2015, 08:29:46 AM »
Two albums I don't care one bit for and MoP that I know but don't consider myself a fan of.  :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: December 12, 2015, 09:33:56 AM »
Metal classics!!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2015, 10:32:19 AM »
I quite like Rust in Peace, love O:M, but MoP bores me to tears  :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2015, 11:59:32 AM »
RIP is excellent, best of these three IMO.

O:M is another classic, I'm not over the moon about it but it's a good pick.

I've already expressed my feelings on MOP: I think it's a solid album but it's actually a dip in quality for Metallica as the preceding and following releases are definitely stronger. It would rank #4 for me among Metallica albums after RTL, AJFA and DM.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #146 on: December 13, 2015, 01:30:30 AM »
Nice to see some classic thrown in here.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught's Top 50 Albums! Spiritual Chemistry
« Reply #147 on: December 13, 2015, 09:04:44 AM »
#30: Distorted Harmony – Chain Reaction (2014)

Genre: Modern Prog-Metal

When these guys released their debut album I didn’t hear much of it, but as soon as Chain Reaction was out, this Israeli prog metal band caught my attention, and the music didn’t exactly strike me as unique. In fact, it kinda sounds like a combination of Haken and Circus Maximus with other influences in some songs, like Hollow, where they sound a lot like Tool aswell. But I’m not really bothered with this approach if the music is top-notch, and that’s the case here. Most of the songs start out with something typically prog-metal, followed by isolated vocals, and a lot of sung parts are repeated. So if you’re into catchy songs that do tend to repeat the chorus a lot at all, this is the right place you’ve come to. The instrumental sections differ between eardrum assaults and calm harmonies, and while some songs have the best of both worlds, most work best within the album as either a breather or an anger outlet.  I’m stunned by the things new bands are capable of within the first 2-3 albums of their career, let alone the shit they will be able to create 10 years from now.

Favorite song:
Natural Selection: This is currently the peak of Distorted Harmony, they do everything right in this song, and left me stunned and satisfied after my first listen, it’s everything you want from an Israeli prog-metal band.

Other recommendations:
Misguided: God damn it Tom, I love this song!! Although I can see how it could be a little stretched out and repetitive. This is the perfect showcase of both their soft side, their heavy instrumentals, and a damned catchy chorus that’s stuck in my head at least a day every single time after I listen to Chain Reaction.

Hollow: If you like Tool, aren’t turned off by obvious similarities, check out Hollow. Very powerful verses, and like Misguided, very contagious chorus.

#29: Dream Theater – A Dramatic Turn Of Events (2011)

Genre: Progressive Metal

I became a Dream Theater fan pretty recently, but it wasn’t until quite some time that I checked out their most recent album at the time, “A Dramatic Turn of Events” at the time. Like no other DT album has ever done this for me, Dramatic Turn of Events literally feels like a journey to me. The whole atmosphere throughout this album, I always like to say, feels otherworldly. Take it or leave it, I love recent DT material, I love old DT material, but Dramatic Turn is already one of my favorite DT albums and is even growing out to be (next to) my absolute favorite. My god, JP’s guitar on this album fits perfectly to the theme of otherworldly I was trying to describe, that’s just one of the reasons that many songs on here have some of the best guitar solos: Lost Not Forgotten, Breaking All Illusions, On the Backs of Angels, whatever you get the gist. I’m not too baffled by the drums but whatever, while Black Clouds & Silver Linings had one of the coolest drum moments ever, this album is way too focused on the orchestral not-so-dirty organs and godlike guitar for that to happen, oh and yea, new drummer of course. For me of course, I already had access to (almost) all DT albums at once, I didn’t experience new releases apart from DT12, so that makes me less biased towards older material I believe, and being a fan of a lot of modern music also plays a part in it. This album will never cease to be on my to-go albums list.

Favorite song:
Breaking All Illusions: Almost tied for favorite DT song ever, I could literally listen to this song whenever, I’m always in the mood. It’s very uplifting in a spiritual kind of way, first half is great, second half is stellar.

Other recommendations:
This is the Life: Very close to BAI actually, this is like my favorite ballad ever, and easily my favorite DT ballad, such powerful notes, and great singing performance.

Bridges in the Sky: Just a phenomenal chorus and amazing instrumental section, and a kickass intro. (not talking about the Shaman)

Outcry: I like the chorus and instrumental section a lot, but the best part is when the chorus returns in the finale in the song, such impact.

Now that we're (almost) halfway through the top 50, here's the list from 50 up until 26, the upcoming three will remain anonymous until tomorrow, but for easy reference I decided to count the amount of albums for each decade they were released in (again, just from the first half):

#50: Rage Against The Machine – Rage Against The Machine
#49: Mastodon – Crack The Skye
#48: Haken – Aquarius
#47: Muse – Origin of Symmetry (2001)
#46: Pomegranate Tiger – Entities (2013)
#45: Metallica – Death Magnetic (2008)
#44: Circus Maximus – Isolate (2007)
#43: Dream Theater – Train Of Thought
#42: Avenged Sevenfold – Waking The Fallen:
#41: Alter Bridge – One Day Remains:
#40: A.C.T – Circus Pandemonium (2014)
#39: Linkin Park – Meteora (2003)
#38: Periphery – Periphery II
#37: Sum 41 – Chuck (2004)
#36: Iron Maiden – A Matter Of Life And Death:
#35: Tremonti – All I Was (2012)
#34: The Mars Volta – De-loused In The Comatorium
#33: Megadeth – Rust in Peace
#32: Queensrÿche – Operation: Mindcrime
#31: Metallica – Master Of Puppets
#30: Distorted Harmony – Chain Reaction
#29: Dream Theater – A Dramatic Turn Of Events
#28:  :huh:     2000's
#27:  :huh:     2010's
#26:  :huh:     1980's

1980's: 3
1990's: 2
2000's: 12
2010's: 8

Yea that's pretty much what I expected, a lot of recent stuff, though most of the 2000-2010 albums were closer to the 2k mark.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #148 on: December 13, 2015, 09:10:16 AM »
i can't really ever get too into ADToE because it has BMUBMD and LNF as a double-whammy before any of the really good tracks

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #149 on: December 13, 2015, 09:13:51 AM »
Never heard of Distorted Harmony.

Nice writeup on ADTOE. A classic DT alum for sure. I honestly cannot believe it has its detractors because it really captures the essence of what DT is all about.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2015, 09:18:03 AM »
if ADToE cut out BMUBMD and LNF and went straight from OtBoA to TiTL it'd be top 4 DT ~easily~, maybe even top 3
but such is life

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2015, 09:18:57 AM »
if ADToE cut out BMUBMD and LNF and went straight from OtBoA to TiTL it'd be top 4 DT ~easily~, maybe even top 3
but such is life

OK, I'm with you on BMUBMD. But LNF? That's DT gold, man.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2015, 09:20:54 AM »
Never heard of Distorted Harmony.
Gotta have some Tel Aviv prog metal in my life man. :hat

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #153 on: December 13, 2015, 09:45:26 AM »
if ADToE cut out OTBOA and LNF and went straight from BMUBMD to TiTL it'd be top 4 DT ~easily~, maybe even top 3
but such is life

FTFM

Offline 425

« Reply #154 on: December 13, 2015, 12:49:46 PM »
ADTOE :tup

My #2 DT album (ahead of Awake, SFAM and SDOIT). Come at me.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2015, 01:04:44 PM »
Your tastes on DT are all over the place, 425  :tup

Offline 425

« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2015, 01:43:45 PM »
I mean, kind of. But it shouldn't be too strange given that my favorite by far is Images and Words, that my second favorite is the one that is most similar to Images and Words.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2015, 10:08:11 PM »
That DT album is awesome stuff!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! Iron Maiden 75, Sven and the Screaming Monkeys
« Reply #158 on: December 14, 2015, 07:10:55 AM »
Yes, yes it is.

Another update of three, this time with an album from this decade, one from the last decade, and a classic, in that order.

#28: The Sums – Screaming Bloody Murder (2011)

Genre: Hard Rock

Here we go again with Sum 41, though this is the last we see of them, and this time, it’s their most recent effort, being after Brown Sounds left the band. Brown Sounds was probably my favorite band member, but after hearing this album I knew it was no problem at all, as we see Sum 41 go back to their Chuck roots (would ya believe it, The Sums release 2 heavier albums and they just so happen to be the only ones on this list). Sven is absolutely owning this studio performance, live IDK, but this album is a pure anger outlet for Sven it seems, which makes for great songs both on the heavy side and the sad/slow side, sometimes they like to do both in one song. As an album this works entirely well, because we continuously have like 1-2 hard rock songs melted down with a song that’s more on the pop-rock side, and one of the songs which is Time for You to Go, we see their punk side return. It’s basically an album with 14 songs that all range from about 3 to 4 minutes, not that hard to digest, but it’s gotta click like it did with me in order to rank it so highly.

The Led Zeppelins approve of this post.

Favorite song:
Screaming Bloody Murder: Very simple song, which makes you wonder how they haven’t covered this ground before, it’s very much like a standard song from The Sums, only a bit heavier. The drums in the chorus are so freaking powerful and catchy even though they’re standard as ever.

Other recommendations:
Scumfuck: It starts off slowly, but soon enough the piano of doom kicks in and Sven kicks everyone’s ass on the mic. The chorus is the best moment of the album IMO.

Blood In My Eyes: This song goes out to Mr. CDrice, it is very Billy Talent-esque instrumentally, though I’m not sure how you’ll feel about the vocals.

What Am I To Say: I hear a huge influence of a certain band that I just can’t put my finger on, maybe Green Day, anyway it’s a great slower song on the album.

#27: Arctic Monkeys – Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not (2006)

Genre: Alternative/Indie Rock (?)

What better way to start talking about Arctic Monkeys, than where it all started, the album with an overly long album name and crappy song names that don’t even fit the youtube search bar, like “You Probably Couldn’t See for the Lights But You Were Staring Straight At Me”. Here's some guidelines: The third studio album Humbug is the perfect album for the classic hungover Sunday morning, Favourite Worst Nightmare is the perfect album for rebel kids who like to break the rules and be dangerous. And then we have Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not, which is simply 4 guys creating some great rock music, famous for their in-the-face guitar riffs, many backing vocals, and a singer that is at times hard to understand if you’re from anywhere that’s not England. Sadly I got introduced to this album with their all-time best song, so they never impressed me more than that moment, I think it’s a pretty bad choice for a single too, but it’s such a good song that the inferior songs were still great. While most Arctic Monkeys songs are relaxing/hungover mood songs, this album is full of energy, and excellent party material if you ask me. A bit of an odd choice for someone with my musical tastes, but this is just that one odd album in my collection that I’ve always liked despite the differences.

Favorite song:
When the Sun Goes Down: Not only is this by far the best song on the album, it’s one of my favorite songs period. Has every single aspect of Arctic Monkeys molded into a 3-minute song.

Other recommendations:
I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor: Maybe a bit overplayed at parties and stuff, but it’s still a great song, love it to bits. Most energetic song of the album.

The View from the Afternoon: Great song that I would consider the heaviest, even though that’s not really what AM are about.

From the Ritz to the Rubble: Alex tries rap, seriously this song is funky as hell, if there’s any song that’s worthy of following up When the Sun Goes Down, it’s this one. 

#26: Iron Maiden – Powerslave (1984)

Genre: Heavy Metal

No doubt I had a hard time ranking the Maiden albums included in this list, but what was for certain was that Powerslave could definitely not be lower than #30. 1-50 all feel like albums I will never forget, but from this point on it’s all legendary stuff, even the newer ones (I think there’s even 1 or 2 2014 releases coming up which have already clicked that well with me). What these guys have been able to put out over the course of 5 years is just inhumane, Iron Maiden, Killers, The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind and Powerslave all have one year between each other. A stunning album that does not only succeed at fulfilling the proggy needs of a DTF-member, there’s also the eastern/egyptian vibes in self-titled for instance, that I always love. McBrain keeps the drumming a tad simpler than the likes of TNoTB and PoM, but they’re still very present at all times. The nostalgia factor on Dave Murray’s solos is great, but that aside, I still appreciate them a lot for what they are, very melodic guitar solos, fast-paced when they need to be, actually something I noticed they like to do, is crank up the speed of all the instruments the moment the solo reaches its climax, like in Rime of the Ancient Mariner about 10 minutes in or something, such an awesome approach. Iron Maiden are geniuses regarding the sales department, they give you a first taste with the epic album covers, and they keep their customers hooked with the music, BestBuy, won’t you hire the IM crew already?

Favorite song:
Rime of the Ancient Mariner: If this song has taught me anything it’s that 13+ minute songs can be good, even better than the songs I used to listen to, it doesn’t even need an overly long intro, just gets right to business.

Other recommendations:
Powerslave: This riff man, it’s like Murray was in the studio trying out some stuff, and then this shit came out, and everyone simultaneously agrees that there has to be a song built around this riff.

Flash of the Blade: Very simple song, actually, I heard this song first from Avenged Sevenfold, then realized I must’ve known this song before, and sure enough it was a cover. Not too shabby but the original is miles better.

Aces High: I love the way the intro bursts out into this very fast beat, then carries on this fast-paced style throughout pretty much the whole song, didn’t get to see them perform this song live sadly, 2 Minutes was the only Powerslave song they did when I saw them I think, but it was still great.

Oh btw I shortened the official title so I have more space for my ever so catchy titles.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2015, 08:21:25 AM »
It doesn't get much better than Powerslave

Offline 425

« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2015, 10:26:20 AM »
I will never complain about the inclusion of Iron Maiden. Powerslave is not one I would have in my own top 50, but I will never complain about the inclusion of Iron Maiden.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2015, 12:22:01 PM »
Damn right, and like jj said it doesn't get much better.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2015, 12:29:43 PM »
I will never complain about the inclusion of Iron Maiden. Powerslave is not one I would have in my own top 50, but I will never complain about the inclusion of Iron Maiden.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2015, 07:58:16 PM »
It doesn't get much better than Powerslave
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! Diamond Head, you guys came SO close to making the list
« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2015, 07:35:52 AM »
#25: Deftones – Diamond Eyes (2010)

Genre: Nu-Metal/Hard Rock (?)

This is a band I could listen to for days, but not really be too that passionate about. They have tons of albums, I think about 8, and I still listen to like half of them pretty regularly in a single day if I’m in the right mood, they’re that consistent. But one album sticks out as the album I always return to, Diamond Eyes. You may think of Nu-Metal as repetitive or predictable, but Deftones have always had their own sound, regardless of the genre they’re classified as. It’s a mix between very heavy distorted guitar rhythms, with very sinister yet often relaxing vocals. Some songs ditch this soft style of vocals and go all the way with the heavy style, like Rocket Skates. My love for Deftones started not so long ago, though my drum teacher gave me a copy of White Pony, one of the trademark Deftones albums, told me to just jam along to these songs. The direction of that album was still pretty crazy for my taste, but I learned that Deftones are about the best “sandbox jam band” you could think of, so much space to improvise with some slow drum fills and cool polyrhythm’s and whatever. That said, that’s definitely not the reason I love them, but it was how I became interested in them so easily. Porbably a few years after the time he gave me White Pony I revisited it, along with some other Deftones albums, and pretty recently I actually bought Diamond Eyes and have been playing it non-stop, amazing stuff. I honestly never thought music like this could compete with the likes of Master of Puppets, Powerslave etc. but it definitely takes the upper hand in my eyes.

Favorite song:
Diamond Eyes: This album opener/single manages to take the classic Deftones style that is raw guitar riffs, powerful clean vocals, and a harmonic chorus, and put it in a very accessible single that I managed to convert non-metal friends to Deftones with. Oh and the owl in the video from the album cover is beautiful.

Other recommendations:
Rocket Skates: This song is pure anger, lots of screaming *fair warning*, lots of “whoo!”, fast grunge-y guitars, you name it.

CMND/CTRL: This song just kicks ass, no other way to describe it, punching guitar riffs, strong vocals in the verses, mellow chorus.

#24: Machine Head – The Blackening (2007)

Genre: Heavy/Groove Metal

Machine Head has always been a mixed bag for me, they never stray away too far from the original formula, but the songs are still all very different, as are the albums. This little beauty called The Blackening was the first Machine Head I heard. I bought tickets to a Slipknot concert, both Children of Bodom and Machine Head opened for them (I now realize how odd it is that a band like Machine Head opened for Slipknot). Preparing for the concert, I listened to the new album “The Blackening”, Halo immediately caught my attention, and everything else was great too. Seeing these guys live was such a treat, and eventually, seeing Beautiful Mourning on guitar hero reignited my love for The Blackening after a few years of forgetting about it. Some of the best Robb Flynn moments are on Davidian, and a lot of stuff on Unto the Locust, but he’s not to be forgotten here, great songwriter, lyricist, but most of all, frontman. The thin line between heavy ass verses and harmonic choruses is something Machine Head does best, just look at Clenching the Fists of Dissent, Halo, Beautiful Mourning, etc. Here’s how I feel about the album musically as a whole: They manage to get all the heaviness that bands like Gojira have, but with such great harmonies and melodies that I don’t even get that “overly aggressive” feeling that I tend to have with some of the Gojira songs. One fun thing I noticed in the Machine Head songwriting is how they give the classic harsh verses clean chorus, which is mostly used in the metalcore scene, their own little twist. They have these short guitar passages that are chockfull of melody either during or right before the verses, it makes every song very unique without being over the top crazy. Summarized: Quite possibly considered the fan favorite among MH albums, this thing is full of cool anthemic choruses, slow breakdowns, strong verses, you name it.

Favorite song:
Halo: It’s heavy, it’s soft, it has a beautiful instrumental section, and a badass breakdown in the end. Pretty much anything you want.

Other recommendations:
Beautiful Mourning: Strongest verse in all of The Blackening, pretty standard, but so damn powah.

Aesthetics of Hate: Talking about these short guitar passages at the start of a verse, obviously this song came to mind first, beautifully done, but this song is just an all around masterpiece.

A Farewell to Arms: Beau. Ti. Ful.

Offline jakepriest

Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! Diamond Head, you guys came SO close to making the list
« Reply #165 on: December 15, 2015, 12:24:16 PM »
Diamond Eyes is fucking amazing. I still prefer Koi No Yokan, but I'm glad to see Deftones on the list.  :tup

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #166 on: December 15, 2015, 12:35:24 PM »
Koi No Yokan was actually pretty close to making the cut, it's still my #2 favorite, #3 is probs White Pony or s/t.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! This is the count-down-to-ex.. I mean, to the #1
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2015, 10:40:30 AM »
#23: Avenged Sevenfold – Avenged Sevenfold (2007)

Genre: Alternative Metal/Heavy Metal

This feels more like an album full of great songs than a really well-written album, hence having a ton of songs that didn’t make the album. The songs however, are so great that this album made it all the way to #23. Up to this point I thought Avenged Sevenfold always had amazing ballads: Seize the Day, I Won’t See You Tonight pt. 1, Dear God wasn’t nearly as great. This album has aged incredibly well, I used to not think too much of those lesser known songs on the album, and the singles were IMO, nothing more than just good. After revisiting about 5 years ago I fell in love, lots of amazing songs, and still not really an actual album feeling, but you notice right away how incredibly good some of the standalone songs are. This band is known for the way they change their sound every album, this album definitely had a few City of Evil tendencies, but it’s definitely some original songwriting, even throwing in a choir of children at one point (so awesome). M. Shadows is consistent as ever, I like him on every song on the album, instruments aside. Synyster Gates might’ve even overdone himself on this album, he even said that the reason they barely ever play Scream live is that he never figured out how to actually play the solo live properly, being too fast. It was on Live in the LBC, but you can see he had a hard time mimicking the studio version, though it’s not a fan favorite so I don’t think people have a problem with it anyway. Gates’ performance on all of the album is just ridiculous though, he has put so much groove into the solos and other melodies.
Being the last album with recorded Rev drumming, I got to remind you all of not just his amazing drum skills, Mike Portnoy being his idol you can see a lot of him back in Jimmy’s drumming, he also had some vocal parts on this album, and was just a great guy overall to experience in live concerts for his personality.

Favorite song:
A Little Piece of Heaven: The most notable Rev vocals on the album are right here: “Must’ve stabbed her 50 fucking times!” The whole song just feels like a Broadway Musical, everyone should at least have heard it regardless of your view on A7X. Best song out of their entire discography IMO and should easily make the top 3 in the survivor finals, if not #1.

Other recommendations:
Critical Acclaim: A pretty close second, and easily in my top 5 songs by the band. After Shadows’ dirty organ this song is just a hail of heaviness and aggression, way to open the album guys.

Gunslinger: This one seems to not be so popular according to the just finished survivor, oh well I love it, the transition from the acoustic intro into the heavy assault of instruments along with Shadows yea’yea’in is great. I see where they’re coming from though, it can get kind of repetitive, I personally don’t feel that way though.

Afterlife: That harmonic intro makes it all the more epic when the guitar joins in, transitioning into a groovy as fuck bass passage to open up the song. Personally I don’t think the vocals live up to the instrumentals on this song, but they’re still good enough to make this my #4 song on the album.

#22: Haken – The Mountain (2013)

Genre: Progressive Metal

Who could possibly be lurking the DreamTheaterForums and not know about The Mountain, I feel this was a HUGE step up from Visions, even though that album was pretty amazing on its own. Haken found their own place in the prog world with this album it seems, they still have those whacky moments that Aquarius introduced us to, but the overwhelming atmosphere of epic-feeling keyboards make the majority of this album feel like you’re standing on the mountaintop of an actual mountain, good choice for a title. This was definitely a grower, especially because I was never into Haken until very recently, something about Ross’ vocals really made it hard to get into, but I’ve come to love ‘em, they blend so well into the whole epic style of the instruments. At some points there’s just so much weird shit going on, followed by the most funky guitar solos ever, that I just like to forget that I’m listening to a progressive metal band and slowly fade into my own imaginations. I don’t think I’ll ever forget how big of an entrance Haken have made into the progressive metal scene, and I’m pretty sure they will continue impressing me. Until then, I think I’ll be good with the material we currently have.

Favorite song:
Falling Back to Earth: This is one of the songs where I can safely say that length played a big part in me liking it so much, the song continues to amaze me every minute, it just keeps getting better as time progresses. With a pretty sudden beginning, the song builds up tension until the chorus, which is super melodic and relaxing, the balance between dreamy instrumental sections and atmospheric vocals is just superb here though, that’s what makes it so damn good.

Other recommendations:
Cockroach King: Now this is probably the biggest hit or miss song on the album, it’s a very odd song, but the band embraces its wackiness so well that it doesn’t bother me. The chorus is beautifully done too, and is not a weird one either.

Pareidolia: SUCH a great main riff, it’s got tht desert-type feeling, foreshadowing the melodies of the chorus, a great way to structure this amazing song.

Atlas Stone: This song has so many great elements, from the funky keyboard solo into the soaring guitar solo, the verses are complemented by very subtle background keyboards the entire time. This song is every single band member at their peak (:neverusethis:).

#21: Megadeth – Countdown to Extinction (1992)

Genre: Thrash Metal/Classic Metal/Hard Rock

This album often gets shit for being more commercially oriented, the FII of Megadeth so to say, but I don’t get it, the only logical explanation I could see is that they’re all fairly short tracks, but this album is still has some strong thrash metal tunes, like Skin O‘ My Teeth and High Speed Dirt, and if anything I’d say their “commercial” songs were a great success. This was both my first Megadeth album and the first album I ever bought at an actual music store without being a “random purchase”, I’ve heard a friend play Symphony of Destruction in his car while driving to a football game or something, and it was the first time I actually wanted to buy an album for more than the music, I still have  a lot of those CD’s that bring up great memories,  and the newer purchases, which have mostly been prog metal, feel like a new chapter, but Countdown to Extinction will never be forgotten. Rust in Peace had a lot of great songs, some miles better than others on the album, Cryptic Writings and Youthanasia (which are my folowup faves, Peace Sells album never clicked with me) have a few killer songs but have some that drag it down a lot. Countdown to Extinction doesn’t let down at any point.

Favorite song:
Symphony of Destruction: Like I mentioned this was not only my introduction to Megadeth, but the start of a new love for music. Screw the explanation, you should all know this one.

Other recommendations:
Skin O’ My Teeth: Megadeth have gone commercial? The hell they have, here’s a short, cool thrash metal song that starts out the album.

Sweating Bullets
:  The intro is pretty standard but I love it. But the real reason you should listen to this is because you need to have heard Megadeth try blues.

Countdown to Extincton: This Was My Life flows so well into this song that I used to think they were one song, but yeah this title-track doesn’t let down. Great vocal melodies in the verses, and a damned good anthem-ish chorus.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2015, 10:43:12 AM »
Holy shit yes, the Mountain :2metal:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2015, 10:44:36 AM »
The Mountain was one of those albums that I listened to and immediately fell in love with, it absolutely dwarfs Visions and it's even a fair step up from Aquarius as well. i feel like whatever they release next has a lot to live up to

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2015, 11:08:51 AM »
Two albums I love and one I don't care for.

But yeah something is terribly wrong with your recommended songs for The Mountain  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2015, 11:16:04 AM »
But yeah something is terribly wrong with my tastes :lol
Fixed :P

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2015, 11:18:32 AM »
The Mountain is great, though I'm still so-so on Ross' voice. He's great in quiet moments (like the beginning of, say, Nocturnal Conspiracy), but I don't think he's that great on epic choruses with loads of stuff going on.

I also think one of my problems with Cockroach King is that I can't remember the lyrics at all. I do remember the vocal melodies, but when the song pops up on the album, in my head all the lines in the beginning go like "I sympathize... with a cockroach... and a cockroach" and I also seem to remember that in the end the insects have multiplied, and that's all. :lol Still, a fun song, but really, every other song on the album is better.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2015, 11:23:08 AM »
So... I'm the Billy Talent guy now :lol

The Mountain and Avenged Sevenfold are both pretty good. However, my knowledge of older albums being almost non-existent I can't comment on the Megadeth one.

But yeah something is terribly wrong with your recommended songs for The Mountain  :lol

Yeah, he should have put Because It's There instead of Falling Back To Earth.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach