Author Topic: DT14 speculation thread  (Read 76720 times)

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT14 speculation thread
« Reply #175 on: August 29, 2016, 01:00:47 PM »
If only DT wasn't so afraid of "selling out," they could put out their first 10/10 since SFAM.

Though my feelings on TA are upside down compared to yours, well i actually do have to admit that the only time i've spent some thoughts, mm, better, ears to someone who was explaining it to his friend, i've found the story quite embarassing, what i've quoted is the closest thought to what i've had in my mind for quite some time now.
I'd like their songs to fit in something similar to their FC show in Rotterdam, I'd like them to be singable just with an acoustic guitar in your hand.
JP, please, next time you'll write an album, take more in consideration the great guy you have on your far right (JM).

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #176 on: August 29, 2016, 02:40:11 PM »
JP, please, next time you'll write an album, take more in consideration the great guy you have on your far right (JM).

You're wrong.. The problem is precisely that JM doesn't compose by himself, nor participates so much in the writing process when he even does that.. It's a shame, but that's how it is.. Besides, the guy who never took him in consideration is not in the band anymore..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: August 29, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »
I stand for what i've said: to write TA with just JR was JP decision, but of course it's because it's the way it has worked since SFAM (being JP and JR the main composers).
What i'd like to hear is more groove oriented songs, which imply a deeper JM involvement. I remember JM commenting on ADTOE saying it reminded  him of the Awake sessions in terms of collaboration: i think they should go back to that even more.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #178 on: August 29, 2016, 09:44:04 PM »
Yes, I'd like they go back to compose that way too.. In fact they have done that not only in ADToE but also in DT12, which is actually the only album to feature contributions from every member in their whole discography.. But then again, what JR and JP by themselves have done in TA is more than impressive (not to use the pun), and I like it way too much than what they've collectively done in ADToE..

About what you've said, well, that's not exactly what you said before.. One thing is to say JP doesn't envolve JM in the composition process, and another very different that was JP decision to create TA with JR alone, because that would include JLB and MM in the equation.. Anyway, what I'm saying is that JM's poor involvement is his fault and no one else's, at least if you're looking for the main responsible.. Having said that, the man has now much more participation and/or presence than in SC/BC&SL days..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #179 on: August 31, 2016, 02:25:58 AM »
The addition of MM definitely pushed them even further into that direction, that's for sure. MP by no means is the be-all-end-all of drumming (not by a long shot), but there was always something off the cuff, visceral about his playing, and it added a crucial element to DT's already rather clinical approach to music. JR is very clinical too, and now with MM, I feel JP is the last man standing who has a somewhat "natural" approach to his instrument. And live, the fact that they now play everything to click, is another step into the clinical direction.

Kind of agree on that, but i think there is also the factor of production, and it seems that MM despite being an awesome drummer doesn't really have a complete control or idea about his sound, which led to a very cold and clinical sounding kit. I'm sure most of us who have been to a concert can agree that he sounds so much better and dynamic live.

But, despite the (serious imo) production issues, MM's playing is quite different in terms of feeling the groove and accenting the time signatures. MP was and still is relying to a limited set of signature tricks, but he was always creative in doing so and keeping things interesting. MM while playing complicated stuff he does so in a way that sounds very strict. Especially his hi-hat playing and sound is very different and it was something that MP was great about, very tight sound and lots of little details on even simple rhythms, and MM has a quite different approach (it's a matter of taste not a case of better or worse) that is evident in the way he plays the MP songs. Sometimes it feels right while different (Trial Of Tears on BTFW) sometimes it feels weird and maybe not so tight (6:00, About To Crash).

nikatapi said it more eloquently than I ever could. I've no issue with MM's playing style, but I'd like DT14 to have a more natural-sounding drum production. IMO, ADTOE sounded pretty natural, but very timid to me, almost like they were self-conscious about showing off their new drummer too much. DT12 was too full-on, bombastic, compressed and unrealistic. TA was a step back from that, an improvement, but even so, a lot of the intricacies you hear in the live performance seem to be buried in the album mix.

It'd be cool if they could crack that for the next one. Oh yeah, and more of JM would be nice too..  :)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #180 on: August 31, 2016, 08:26:18 AM »
I have a good feeling the next album will have writing from all band members. Since The Astonishing is a major JP penned concept with the help of JR writing the music. JP might want to let the others write giving himself a little break.

But all in all, it's up to the other members to bring in ideas or thoughts about others' ideas. The others had no problem with JR and JP doing it all, since they know they can add their own flava to the songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: August 31, 2016, 02:32:45 PM »
I predict September 2018 release.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #182 on: August 31, 2016, 03:18:40 PM »
I predict September 2018 release.

Maybe if they took a break, had more tour dates or are doing another double disc album. I think that it is reasonable that we could get a late 2017 release if they get in the studio in April/May after the tour ends in March. That could just be my optimism though. Then again, quotes like this show that they are already hyped up to make a new album:

"We have a long tour to promote 'The Astonishing', at least until next March, and after that we are definitely going to make another album. We've already been discussing this, and even though I won't reveal anything to you, we've agreed on what kind of album we want to create next time. It's going to be great, and surely it will be something which will have us fully dedicated to. I can also tell you that, according to what we have talked about, it's also going to freak out all of our fans around the world." -JLB (credit to SebastianPratesi for the translation on https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=48017.0)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #183 on: September 01, 2016, 07:01:04 AM »
How about some 8 string guitars?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #184 on: September 01, 2016, 08:47:04 AM »
That would be interesting.  But I would be a little surprised if JP went that direction.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2016, 09:00:04 AM »
That would be interesting.  But I would be a little surprised if JP went that direction.

Agreed. His work with the 7 string has been awesome, but he doesn't seem like the type of player to push to 8 strings.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #186 on: September 01, 2016, 10:03:53 AM »
Less 8-string guitars, more 12-string guitars.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #187 on: September 01, 2016, 10:06:52 AM »
I hope not
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #188 on: September 01, 2016, 10:27:23 AM »

My feelings too. I don't like the 8-string, either in the highs or in the lows. Too extreme for me.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #189 on: September 01, 2016, 10:55:53 AM »

Why not? As long as the riffs are interesting!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #190 on: September 01, 2016, 01:53:57 PM »
I could get behind that, like, as a general rule of thumb.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #191 on: September 01, 2016, 01:55:19 PM »

12 string Djent?

Yes please.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: September 01, 2016, 03:20:11 PM »
No 8 strings.

I don't need that Gunga Gunga Bowwww Gung Gung sound in DT thanks.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #193 on: September 01, 2016, 11:05:51 PM »
I don't have a problem with the concept of 8 string guitars, but very few guitarists actually take advantage of the range it has. Might as well just tune down a six string or play a bass.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: September 02, 2016, 01:06:39 AM »
I don't have a problem with the concept of 8 string guitars, but very few guitarists actually take advantage of the range it has. Might as well just tune down a six string or play a bass.

I don't know why we can't have 6 strings that are made to accommodate the bottom 6 strings of an 8 string so it goes F# - F# or whatever.

Like a Baritone but lower.

But yeah they always say it's about " extended range " but then just rape the lowest string anyway.

Offline Adami

« Reply #195 on: September 02, 2016, 01:15:36 AM »
This is all assuming you only use an 8 string for METAL!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiERPVIEvSc
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: September 02, 2016, 03:23:46 AM »
it's also going to freak out all of our fans around the world." -JLB
This part is intriguing, I'm a little worried.
It's not "gonna divide our fans" or be like a previous album

Freak out because it's metropolis part 3 or freak out because a trumpet and a harp are going to replace JP and JR for this album ? :s
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #197 on: September 02, 2016, 03:30:52 AM »
Freak out because it's metropolis part 3 or freak out because a trumpet and a harp are going to replace JP and JR for this album ? :s

Or maybe instead of either of those options, it will be something good! :biggrin:

I'll try not to read too much into an off the cuff response given before they've even started an album, but hopefully it doesn't mean it will be something too familiar and safe.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #198 on: September 02, 2016, 03:34:04 AM »
or freak out because a trumpet and a harp are going to replace JP and JR for this album ? :s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f4LCfYE2kM
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #199 on: September 02, 2016, 04:30:37 AM »

I wouldn't like this. It would only drown out JM's basslines even more.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #200 on: September 02, 2016, 05:29:38 AM »
But yeah they always say it's about " extended range " but then just rape the lowest string anyway.

I think JP would actually use it for extended range though. Look at what he does with a 7 string with songs like TDoE, TBP and IT. I don't see why he wouldn't follow that kind of playing if he were to use an 8 string.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #201 on: September 02, 2016, 06:19:21 AM »

or freak out because a trumpet and a harp are going to replace JP and JR for this album ? :s

Not to derail the thread, but man Rob Scallon is awesome!
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #202 on: September 02, 2016, 06:57:58 AM »

Not to derail the thread, but man Rob Scallon is awesome!

That he is. :metal
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #203 on: September 02, 2016, 12:56:21 PM »
JP used a nice bit of 12 string acoustic on TA. More of that would always be welcome in my book.

Offline Adami

« Reply #204 on: September 02, 2016, 05:29:25 PM »

I think it's safe to say that the world needs more harp metal.

Do it JP!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #205 on: September 03, 2016, 03:22:44 AM »
John Petrucci: Have you considered using even more strings on your guitars? Going 8 strings, maybe include some big djent riffs in your playing?

Yes. In the same way that I picked up the 7-string while writing the Awake album, I’m planning on using 8-string on the next DT album. The prospect of an even further extended range is really exciting to me!

https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2016/09/03/dream-theater-fan-club-interview-august-2016/

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #206 on: September 03, 2016, 04:22:10 AM »
John Petrucci: Have you considered using even more strings on your guitars? Going 8 strings, maybe include some big djent riffs in your playing?

Yes. In the same way that I picked up the 7-string while writing the Awake album, I’m planning on using 8-string on the next DT album. The prospect of an even further extended range is really exciting to me!

https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2016/09/03/dream-theater-fan-club-interview-august-2016/

That is awesome.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #207 on: September 03, 2016, 05:25:11 AM »

That is awesome.

I'm curious to hear what he will come up with. If the 8-string is used as well as the 7-string on Awake, I'll say OK. Otherwise, not really my thing.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #208 on: September 03, 2016, 07:42:15 AM »
Between Jordan's left hand and JP's 8-string, I think JM might as well not show up anymore.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: September 03, 2016, 08:45:39 AM »
Extended Range = A 7 string guitar with an extra string that just makes that one sound.