Author Topic: DT14 speculation thread  (Read 76739 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: DT14 speculation thread
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2016, 06:32:26 AM »
After TA, I'm kinda expecting something heavier, in the vein of ToT.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2016, 08:32:59 AM »
I don't think the whole album will be in the vein of ToT, but what I do believe is we'll hear some of the heaviest stuff DT has ever done.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2016, 08:35:35 AM »
I don't think the whole album will be in the vein of ToT, but what I do believe is we'll hear some of the heaviest stuff DT has ever done.

They are aware of the critics of TA being soft. For sure the next one will be harder and really rocking.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2016, 08:56:23 AM »
I want more swing-jazz and tango.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline CoT67

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2016, 09:16:09 AM »
I want more swing-jazz and tango.

Maybe the fabled World Music album is near...
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2016, 11:56:22 AM »
I'm thinking either an all acoustic album too or another full on heavy album to "make up" for The Astonishing being fairly laid back and chilled.

If they pull out another surprise like The Astonishing was - that would be awesome; something else nobody was expecting.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2016, 07:35:26 PM »
They tend to alternate between heavy and not-so heavy, I expect them to continue that.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2016, 09:33:24 PM »
Hoping for something in the vein of Fates Warning's Theories of Flight. What a great album!

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2016, 09:33:52 PM »
I hope they go full K-Pop
Jatruccyundessgini

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2016, 11:14:26 AM »
They need to call it Door To Forever so that way DTF will have its own album!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2016, 11:15:14 AM »

I approve of this idea.  :tup
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2016, 11:18:16 AM »

And in the process create complete chaos as we get acronyms confused on a daily basis. Some people just want to watch the world burn. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2016, 11:36:12 AM »
DTF rates DTF, tne new poll in the dedicated section  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2016, 11:57:02 AM »
I'll doubt we hear anything from DT camp before early 2018...

But when they eventually decide to do another album, i don't think they do anything remotely related to a concept album.

Just go to a studio and start jamming, and see what comes of it.  Just have fun with it!
I'm hoping for something a little bit heavier too...

Offline emtee

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2016, 12:55:51 PM »
No clue but considering the amount of effort that went into TA it seems logical they would go for a more spontaneous approach.
The amount of thought and planning for TA, from the story line to the map and just the sheer amount of man hours is staggering.

I'll put in a guess for a very heavy album. Just a gut instinct.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2016, 02:50:14 PM »
No clue but considering the amount of effort that went into TA it seems logical they would go for a more spontaneous approach.
The amount of thought and planning for TA, from the story line to the map and just the sheer amount of man hours is staggering.

Wasn't there a rumour or talk from one of the band of them just recording a raw rock album ? Just recording the live band with not too many overdubs ?

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2016, 03:03:14 PM »
I'd like more atmospheric songs. Maybe in vein of The Bigger Picture (and few others sections from self-titled) and more spacey. Space rock album would be great :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2016, 03:05:40 PM »
The Astonishing was a step in the right direction for production.

I'd like a nice open sound like " These Walls " again .

Octavarium has my favourite production for a DT album.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2016, 03:11:13 PM »
Octavarium has my favourite production for a DT album.
Or anything really :corn
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 06:28:58 PM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2016, 06:22:39 PM »

Wasn't there a rumour or talk from one of the band of them just recording a raw rock album ? Just recording the live band with not too many overdubs ?

I really like this idea!  Just DT playing heavy stuff raw.  They've already done all the work with a huge double concept album.  They've earned the right to just put out something that is just fun.

There is still a lot of room to do something different.  They literally could just put out a jam album where they just go into the studio and play, record then release.  Their "just messin' around" playing is way better than almost any other band.

Offline CoT67

« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2016, 02:25:03 AM »

That would be a really good thing, going back to a rawer production. I didn't like Chycki's pluginized production very much. I would love to hear a Shirley or a Northfield produced album again.
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2016, 08:15:10 AM »
Can't really see them doing that. They've been drifting further away from that direction for a long time, even more so in the last few years.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ytsejam58

« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2016, 06:41:11 PM »
After the let down of The Astonishing (I know it's an unpopular opinion but I hated it) I will be gladly waiting for another DT album. Maybe they will go the route of Train of Thought and make something really banging that they wrote in a week XD

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2016, 07:01:29 PM »
Do you guys who hate TA have to remind us how unpopular your opinion is everytime you name how much you hate it?
We understand, it's ok.

I sincerely hope they don't make another TOT.
Someone named a soft-heavy-soft pattern.

Well, SC-BC&SL-ADTOE-DT12 don't really follow this pattern.

WDADU, I&W and Awake are fairly heavy albums, and SFAM-SDOIT both have their doses of heaviness and soft.

I'm hoping for a more epic upbeat record, an exploration into the Power zone won't hurt anyone.

Jatruccyundessgini

Offline jsbru

« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2016, 10:05:20 PM »
I'm hoping for a more epic upbeat record, an exploration into the Power zone won't hurt anyone.

I could go for that.  I like that we're hearing more major key anthems from them.

They don't have to go in any one direction on their next album.  I wouldn't mind a great mix of dark-heavy, major-key-heavy, ballad, spacey, and epic all on one album.

I'd like to see a good mix of Bridges in the Sky, Lifting Shadows off a Dream, Looking Glass, Trial of Tears, This Dying Soul, The Silent Man, A New Beginning, Space Dye Vest, Our New World, These Walls, Octavarium--sound-wise.

My biggest complaint with their post-Kevin Moore albums has been their lack of sonic diversity/dynamism coupled with a lack of atmosphere.  I think A Dramatic Turn of Events has probably been their best recent one in this regard.  Obviously, TA is pretty diverse, but even though I love the album, I do agree that there's about three too many ballads on there, especially on Act 2.  It could use a little MORE heavy.  Also, it could have used just one full-length NOMAC track.  I always wish Machine Chatter would keep going for about 4-5 minutes.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2016, 10:10:20 PM »
I would personally like to see an album where every member of the band contributes musically, at least a bit more than the usual Petrucci or Petrucci/Rudess composition in these last albums the last album.

FTFY..

In DT12 only three song were composed by JP and/or JR.. And ADToE is more complex, since has several combinations, but there's definitely JM's and JLB's contributions, as well as MM's in DT12..

Otherwise, I agree with you..

I don't want a record jammed together in a week and then released. I sure hope that was mostly MP who wanted that. Sure, it can lead to interresting results but also to things that should not have been released as is.

Well, Train of Thought was composed that way and it's the best album they've done.. Of course that's my opinion, but in general is a well regarded album.. I don't think they should have that kind of limit.. They actually don't have it..

Otherwise, I also agree with what all are saying.. They should do something more heavy for the next album.. They've proved that, without Portnoy, they can still make heavy-prog songs/sections with great quality, like BiTS, Outcry, TEI, LDK, LN, MoB or TWS.. They'll only need to focus a bit more in that direction and that will be it..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2016, 10:12:30 PM »

No. As far as I know it was just a bunch of random fans (mostly here on DTF) saying they want DT to do that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2016, 10:19:23 PM »

No. As far as I know it was just a bunch of random fans (mostly here on DTF) saying they want DT to do that.

I'm sure this is what he's talking about:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jordan-rudess-dream-theaters-next-album-will-be-very-different-from-the-astonishing/

He only said this about the next album:

"I think that whatever we decide to do next, which we haven't really decided, will be something obviously very different. And we'll invest our energies into that when it comes to that. Obviously, it's not gonna be another concept album — I just don't think that would be necessarily the best thing to do — but it will be some creative adventure that we'll feel like we want to put our energies behind."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2016, 10:25:43 PM »
I don't see how "we're doing something different" in any possible way translates to "We're doing a raw album with few overdubs"

That particular theory was just a fan here on DTF talking a lot about it a few months or something ago.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CoT67

« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2016, 03:09:02 AM »
I would personally like to see an album where every member of the band contributes musically, at least a bit more than the usual Petrucci or Petrucci/Rudess composition in these last albums the last album.

FTFY..

In DT12 only three song were composed by JP and/or JR.. And ADToE is more complex, since has several combinations, but there's definitely JM's and JLB's contributions, as well as MM's in DT12..

Otherwise, I agree with you..

Well, in ADToE we know that Petrucci wrote the drums and we can hear some structural similarities to I&W. The only tracks where I feel a noticeable contribution from Myung and Labrie were Breaking All Illusions and BMUBMD, respectively, without considering bits and pieces elsewhere. Everything else felt like coming from JP/JR, not that it was bad or anything, just saying.

DT12 on the other hand surely features more of the other members, but it still was the first album where Mangini contributed and he said something in an interview about not wanting to influence too much the process, rather going with what others give him. Something similar happened in TA, to a degree, for the drums.

What I meant to say is that generally, music composed with less influence from the main composers comes out as more varied, in feel or structure. Songs like Illumination Theory or Breaking All Illusions are highlights because I can feel every member participating, while other songs from TA sometimes tend to force the rest of the band in preset roles, which worked in the context of a huge rock opera but it made certain parts sound a bit less suited to the individual performers, all IMHO. I also believe that if there's more sway towards the others there's less possibility for JP/JR to compose stuff that feels similar to what they've already done,, for example the prevalence of AOR-like riffs in the last two albums.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2016, 05:13:26 AM »
^ That, plus JR said that just JP/JR writing was pretty much how it was anyway & that he was glad it could be properly credited (or something like that, I don't fully remember).
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2016, 11:57:29 AM »
What I meant to say is that generally, music composed with less influence from the main composers comes out as more varied, in feel or structure. Songs like Illumination Theory or Breaking All Illusions are highlights because I can feel every member participating, while other songs from TA sometimes tend to force the rest of the band in preset roles, which worked in the context of a huge rock opera but it made certain parts sound a bit less suited to the individual performers, all IMHO. I also believe that if there's more sway towards the others there's less possibility for JP/JR to compose stuff that feels similar to what they've already done,, for example the prevalence of AOR-like riffs in the last two albums.

Once again I agree.. Although it always depends on the composing skills from the rest of the band (in this case, MM, JM and JLB).. Talking about DT, yes, the contribution has been a key factor in creating some of the best music out there, since KM era, and most of all with MP in the band.. I know that since MM is in the band JP and JR have tended to compose almost everything, but I don't think that's precisely a bad thing.. I do think it'll be better if the rest of the guys have more participation, but since I liked very much what they did on TA, where the music is 100% JP/JR, I feel I'm ok with whoever that contributes in making the songs, as long as those two guys keep doing it..

PS: what's AOR?.. :justjen

Offline CoT67

« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2016, 12:46:09 PM »

Once again I agree.. Although it always depends on the composing skills from the rest of the band (in this case, MM, JM and JLB).. Talking about DT, yes, the contribution has been a key factor in creating some of the best music out there, since KM era, and most of all with MP in the band.. I know that since MM is in the band JP and JR have tended to compose almost everything, but I don't think that's precisely a bad thing.. I do think it'll be better if the rest of the guys have more participation, but since I liked very much what they did on TA, where the music is 100% JP/JR, I feel I'm ok with whoever that contributes in making the songs, as long as those two guys keep doing it..

Yeah, JP and JR are absolutely the big guys and even on TA they managed to bring something that feels fresh, especially JR with his proggy parts. I feel they got some better chemistry in composing after MP's departure, somehow, so it was good that they did what they did and took credit for it, I just hope they can still push the boundaries like they were before and I believe having more people producing would help in this regard.

By AOR I mean Arena-oriented rock, something like Petrucci hitting those big chords with chorus effect on, stuff like The Looking Glass and Our New World or parts of Illumination Theory. While great, especially live, it sort of became its normal signature riffing style lately.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2016, 09:04:10 PM »

Yeah, JP and JR are absolutely the big guys and even on TA they managed to bring something that feels fresh, especially JR with his proggy parts. I feel they got some better chemistry in composing after MP's departure, somehow, so it was good that they did what they did and took credit for it, I just hope they can still push the boundaries like they were before and I believe having more people producing would help in this regard.

By AOR I mean Arena-oriented rock, something like Petrucci hitting those big chords with chorus effect on, stuff like The Looking Glass and Our New World or parts of Illumination Theory. While great, especially live, it sort of became its normal signature riffing style lately.

Yeah, and ok.. I also think there's some things that need to be polished or at least slightly modified.. Besides, I've found another 'problem' in recent DT material.. The instrumental parts in these songs (especially some sections) sound almost the same: BAI, Outcry, TEI, BtV, IT, ANB and MoB.. I once found myself trying to recall mentally the entire instrumental of Outcry and being constantly blocked by a segment from IT that is practically identical.. And it's very likely to happen the same with the other songs..

Sadly, since MP left the band they haven't made any remarkable prog/crazy instrumental sections as they used to make..

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2016, 09:05:33 PM »
The entire ADTOE is filled with crazy instrumental sections.
BC&SL instrumentals are among the most panned things DT has ever done.

Jatruccyundessgini