Author Topic: DT14 speculation thread  (Read 77135 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: DT14 speculation thread
« Reply #455 on: December 06, 2016, 04:13:05 PM »
  Mike Lepond's (bass player from SX) solo album Silent Assassins is a perfect example of that. The bass is prolific without sacrificing the heavy rhythm guitars..
Yeah, but it's a bass player's solo album!

That is a KICKASS album BTW! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #456 on: December 06, 2016, 04:17:22 PM »
  Mike Lepond's (bass player from SX) solo album Silent Assassins is a perfect example of that. The bass is prolific without sacrificing the heavy rhythm guitars..
Yeah, but it's a bass player's solo album!

That is a KICKASS album BTW! :metal
I'll second that!!!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #457 on: December 06, 2016, 08:50:51 PM »
Not that it has been confirmed (through hefdaddy42, who was at yesterday's show and got to ask the band a few questions. I'll quote his post from another thread here) that the band plans to take all 2017 touring and will, probably, start working on the next album early 2018, it means we'll have to wait at least a year and a half to get new DT music  :sad:

I wish they would at least take some of their new riffs and song ideas and release a 3 song EP of new material, while they're still touring for the IAW anniv. tour. It would give the fans who can't get to attend any live show (like me) something to be excited for while we wait for the new full lenght album. Anyone here shares the same opinion?

What else did you find out about DT land?

-US Tour with Images?
Yes, but probably not until Fall 2017 (September/October, something like that).  Per James, it won't be as extensive as the two combined legs of The Astonishing, but more like a typical North American tour - major markets, some Canadian stops, etc.

-Recording of new album?
Again per James, sometime in 2018.  2017 will be I&W touring and some down time.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #458 on: December 06, 2016, 09:07:05 PM »
Well, they aren't going to be touring for ALL of 2017.  But they are going to be touring A LOT.  And in connection with that, as I mentioned a little while back, they aren't even getting much time off to rehearse a ton for the next round of touring, which is why it isn't going to be super heavy on "new" material.  It'll still have some things they have not played in a VERY long time (and never with Mangini), but there will be some repeat favorites from the last two album cycle tours as well.  It's going to be pretty awesome, but they are going to be TIRED by the end.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #459 on: December 06, 2016, 09:33:51 PM »
Well, they aren't going to be touring for ALL of 2017.  But they are going to be touring A LOT.  And in connection with that, as I mentioned a little while back, they aren't even getting much time off to rehearse a ton for the next round of touring, which is why it isn't going to be super heavy on "new" material.  It'll still have some things they have not played in a VERY long time (and never with Mangini), but there will be some repeat favorites from the last two album cycle tours as well.  It's going to be pretty awesome, but they are going to be TIRED by the end.

I just don't understand why they book that many dates so close to each other, they can't get the proper rest, specially in the middle of the tour. Just imagine poor James trying to sing all of IAW and some extra stuff for that long  :eek

Also, this is great news for the people who will get to watch any of the concerts live, but, since there's no inmediate plans for a TA live release or an EP or DT14, some of us can, at best, watch not so good fan recorded videos from the gigs and speculate here at the forum, no much more  :'(

PS: It may sound like I'm complaining too much, and I'm not. I understand DT, and any band, needs to tour a lot, because they get most of their earnings that way, but I think they went too heavy on the touring for 2016-2017 and they're just getting to the same places over and over again. A US tour next year? They just had 2 this year! Even though it's a different show, still feels too soon, imo  :-\
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online faizoff

« Reply #460 on: December 06, 2016, 11:01:47 PM »
This has me very excited and I'm going to make every effort to go see them a couple of times at least next year.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #461 on: December 08, 2016, 03:30:29 AM »
I thought The Astonishing had a better mix than DT12. Less compressed, at least in my ears.. Also the drums on that album sounded way better. I would love to hear some drum track without anything as Mangini said! Whats the problem with releasing some of those?
But they managed to get a great drum sound before! Scenes, 6Degrees, FII all had good drum sounds. I even liked BC&SL's sound.
any rock can be made to roll

Online faizoff

« Reply #462 on: December 08, 2016, 09:41:08 AM »
I realize that Mangini likes his drum sound to be a bit boomy. I'd prefer a flatter drum sound like TOT heck even dramatic turn had a drum sound I liked even though it was mixed a bit low.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #463 on: December 08, 2016, 10:42:24 AM »
I thought The Astonishing had a better mix than DT12. Less compressed, at least in my ears.. Also the drums on that album sounded way better. I would love to hear some drum track without anything as Mangini said! Whats the problem with releasing some of those?
But they managed to get a great drum sound before! Scenes, 6Degrees, FII all had good drum sounds. I even liked BC&SL's sound.

The people engineering, producing, recording, and mixing are others from the ones on those albums. That's the main difference. While I still love theur music from the recent albums, some of their production and sound choices could've been a lot better in recent years  :-\

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #464 on: December 08, 2016, 11:20:43 AM »
TA sounded miles better than DT12, that's for sure. Much more open, the drums sounded better, just about everything really.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #465 on: December 08, 2016, 02:20:54 PM »
TA sounded miles better than DT12, that's for sure. Much more open, the drums sounded better, just about everything really.

Not the bass, unfortunately  :'(

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #466 on: December 08, 2016, 03:30:25 PM »

DT12 has audible bass, but the tone is pretty damn awful. I'll take TA bass over DT12 any day.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #467 on: December 08, 2016, 08:41:53 PM »

DT12 has audible bass, but the tone is pretty damn awful. I'll take TA bass over DT12 any day.

I think DT12 is one of the DT albums with the best bass tone... and I'm a bassist  :eek
TA barely has audible bass  :'(

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #468 on: December 08, 2016, 09:08:23 PM »

I just don't understand why they book that many dates so close to each other, they can't get the proper rest, specially in the middle of the tour. Just imagine poor James trying to sing all of IAW and some extra stuff for that long  :eek

Also, this is great news for the people who will get to watch any of the concerts live, but, since there's no inmediate plans for a TA live release or an EP or DT14, some of us can, at best, watch not so good fan recorded videos from the gigs and speculate here at the forum, no much more  :'(

PS: It may sound like I'm complaining too much, and I'm not. I understand DT, and any band, needs to tour a lot, because they get most of their earnings that way, but I think they went too heavy on the touring for 2016-2017 and they're just getting to the same places over and over again. A US tour next year? They just had 2 this year! Even though it's a different show, still feels too soon, imo  :-\

I think it has to be about budgeting the tour.  The more you have time between concerts, the more you have to pay hotel rooms, food and so forth.  Not that they can't afford it but it's part of the planning and it sure has to be think of.  So a condense schedule is always beneficial about saving money as long as the guys can handle it physically and mentally.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #469 on: December 08, 2016, 09:11:31 PM »

I think it has to be about budgeting the tour.  The more you have time between concerts, the more you have to pay hotel rooms, food and so forth.  Not that they can't afford it but it's part of the planning and it sure has to be think of.  So a condense schedule is always beneficial about saving money as long as the guys can handle it physically and mentally.

That's a very good point.

I think most of the guys can handle it, but James is the one who will suffer the most, since his voice will inevitably wear out with time, and probably Mangini, who, as we've been discussing in the MM interview thread, he just seems tired from all the extensive touring and wants to spend more time with his family.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #470 on: December 17, 2016, 03:01:56 PM »
I really wish DT would completely break down the conventions of rock/metal bands, scenario like this:

Labrie leaves to study advanced music theory in classical, jazz and eastern music, to then become primary composer for the band
Rudess starts a career as a film maker, turning the new version of the band into a visual arts concept project

The band itself becomes:
Petrucci takes up the saxophone
Mangini takes up the double bass
Myung takes up singing role, in a very middle-eastern style
Rudess plays bongos and various types of percussion including mallets (aside from filming)

All music composed by James Labrie, interpreted by DT
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Estiui

« Reply #471 on: December 18, 2016, 07:15:28 AM »
I really wish DT would completely break down the conventions of rock/metal bands, scenario like this:

Labrie leaves to study advanced music theory in classical, jazz and eastern music, to then become primary composer for the band
Rudess starts a career as a film maker, turning the new version of the band into a visual arts concept project

The band itself becomes:
Rudess plays bongos and various types of percussion including mallets (aside from filming)

Offline Evai

« Reply #472 on: December 18, 2016, 10:44:43 AM »
I honestly like the idea. I mean there's no way they can outdo The Astonishing in terms of scale, and there's no point in them trying to make a barebones metal album when ToT exists.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: December 18, 2016, 05:30:16 PM »

I remember Jordan saying for ADTOE that they weren't going to compete in the loudness wars on their albums.

But then DT12 was super hot after all.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #474 on: December 18, 2016, 06:02:11 PM »
I honestly like the idea. I mean there's no way they can outdo The Astonishing in terms of scale, and there's no point in them trying to make a barebones metal album when ToT exists.

I think the next album will be similar to ADTOE, with longer songs, but a bit heavier and with more crazy instrumental sections.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #475 on: December 19, 2016, 03:30:54 AM »

I remember Jordan saying for ADTOE that they weren't going to compete in the loudness wars on their albums.

But then DT12 was super hot after all.

I wonder how much they end up listening to the final product actually. I've definitely heard of musicians who never listen to their own album.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #476 on: December 19, 2016, 07:21:33 PM »

The band itself becomes:

:coolio
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #477 on: December 19, 2016, 07:44:57 PM »
...and there's no point in them trying to make a barebones metal album when ToT exists.
Except the fact that JP is going to have an 8 string this time around which will probably drive him in a heavier direction. Especially since the 8 string will be fresh to him and most likely inspiring.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #478 on: December 19, 2016, 08:00:35 PM »
I agree that TA sounded way better than the previous two albums.  I had much more to work with when I remastered it to improve the dynamics.  This is the first DT album in awhile where it felt pleasurable just to hear the instruments.  It definitely increased the emotional impact.  I hope this is a continuing trend!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #479 on: December 20, 2016, 06:44:42 AM »
I agree that TA sounded way better than the previous two albums.  I had much more to work with when I remastered it to improve the dynamics.  This is the first DT album in awhile where it felt pleasurable just to hear the instruments.  It definitely increased the emotional impact.  I hope this is a continuing trend!

I hope so too.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #480 on: December 25, 2016, 11:04:15 AM »
I just watched the Metropolis 2000 version of Another Day (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mno463LoHiA) and, while I was never really a fan of the sax part on the song (I do like the instrument a lot, even played it when I was a teenager), it seems they really enjoyed working with Jay and having an extra instrument voice for a couple songs (they also had him on TAMP from OIALT). I think it would be really cool if they worked with him again for a future release, or, even better, if they included flute on a couple songs. We know flute and prog go very well (Jethro Tull, anyone?), and, while I don't like his music too much, Steven Wilson also used it very well on his album The Raven that refused to sing. I always liked the intro for "Luminol".

I know the most likely thing to happen is them making a heavier record, but what do you guys think of the idea? It's certainly something they haven't done (if you don't count that small section on 8V, which was great btw).

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #481 on: December 26, 2016, 12:47:46 PM »
...and there's no point in them trying to make a barebones metal album when ToT exists.
Except the fact that JP is going to have an 8 string this time around which will probably drive him in a heavier direction. Especially since the 8 string will be fresh to him and most likely inspiring.

Source?
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #482 on: December 26, 2016, 03:19:22 PM »

Source?

Well, JP has said this a few times on interviews, reddit, clinics, etc. I've seen a couple of them. Here's one I could find right now: https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/35a7c6/hi_im_brian_ball_president_of_ernie_ball_music/cr2lok9/
And, while it's not JP saying it there, It's the president of EBMM, who definitely know what he's talking about  ;) Since it's been in development for a while, I would bet they, at least, announce it to the public on NAMM 2017.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #483 on: December 26, 2016, 04:01:55 PM »

Source?

Well, JP has said this a few times on interviews, reddit, clinics, etc. I've seen a couple of them. Here's one I could find right now: https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/35a7c6/hi_im_brian_ball_president_of_ernie_ball_music/cr2lok9/
And, while it's not JP saying it there, It's the president of EBMM, who definitely know what he's talking about  ;) Since it's been in development for a while, I would bet they, at least, announce it to the public on NAMM 2017.

I remember Sterling Ball and JP saying a few years back that they were toying with the idea of developing an 8 string, but then in a later interview JP said they put that idea on the shelf for the time being. Seeing as how EBMM has already unveiled the new JP models for next year and there isn't an 8 string, I highly doubt there will be one next year. But who knows, maybe one day.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 04:38:46 PM by Stewie »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #484 on: December 26, 2016, 04:15:37 PM »

Source?

I remember Sterling Ball and JP saying a few years back that they were toying with the idea of developing an 8 string, but then in a later interview JP said they put that idea on the shelf for the time being. Seeing as how EBMM has already unveiled the new JP models for next year and there isn't an 8 string, I highly doubt there will be one next year. But who knows, maybe one day.

While I don't get too crazy about him using an 8 string, I think it's cool for him (and the rest of the band) to experiment with new instruments and sounds to and to their arsenal. That would inspire them a bit more to write material outside of their comfort zone.

For the next album, I wish they get more into different sounds they've never used before, or used very little. Specially Myung, who hasn't used his Chapman Stick since FII or a fretless bass since SFAM. He also plays upright bass and cello,that would sound interesting as well.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #485 on: December 26, 2016, 04:31:02 PM »
While I don't get too crazy about him using an 8 string, I think it's cool for him (and the rest of the band) to experiment with new instruments and sounds to and to their arsenal. That would inspire them a bit more to write material outside of their comfort zone.

For the next album, I wish they get more into different sounds they've never used before, or used very little. Specially Myung, who hasn't used his Chapman Stick since FII or a fretless bass since SFAM. He also plays upright bass and cello,that would sound interesting as well.

I agree. I personally wouldn't mind him trying an 8 string - it's more a matter of how he uses it, I guess. If it's to truly expand his horizons and do some really creative things, awesome. If it's to just chuggah-chug-chuggety-chug-chugh on the lower bass strings, count me out. As far as your comment on Myung breaking out the chapman stick again - YES please. It'd be awesome to get another highly experimental album out of them, however, at this point in their career, I'm not sure how realistic that is. At least one more very experimental album would be sweet. Although, some might say that The Astonishing was fairly experimental - which may be true to some extent conceptually, but not necessarily stylistically (although the end of Three Days is freaking awesome - more of that kind of stuff would definitely be fine by me). I don't know whether or not they'd be willing to go out on a limb and try anything vastly different though, from a business/financial viewpoint.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 04:44:15 PM by Stewie »

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #486 on: March 03, 2017, 11:05:50 AM »
Reading this thread, I agree with the fact that, as many have said, DT should take the direction they took after SDOIT, with a heavier record.

However I wouldn't mind to hear a dark, gloomy album like Awake for example.
More songs like The Mirror, Lie, Lifting Shadows, Scarred, Learning to Live, Repentance, The Great Debate.. and more elements from JM and MM in the songwriting process.

Speaking about JR and JP:
-I think that those massive orchestral arrangements should be blended with the sound of an Awake-type record (which is something DT actually did in ADTOE, mixing symphonic elements with an I&W sound).
-Personally I would be interested hearing JP with an 8 string guitar.

I predict an early 2018 release or if they end touring in August and enter in the studio immediately after, it could be possible a late 2017 release (but I doubt it).

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #487 on: March 03, 2017, 11:07:54 AM »
The 8-string is definitely coming, BTW.  I spoke with Matti, JP's guitar tech, about it in December.  How much he will actually use it, or how, is a different story, of course, but it is definitely a thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #488 on: March 03, 2017, 11:31:24 AM »
The 8-string is definitely coming, BTW.  I spoke with Matti, JP's guitar tech, about it in December.

Well, this is certainly interesting and promising.
Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: March 03, 2017, 03:33:43 PM »
Fuck.

That ONE sound that all 8 strings have. They're basically a 7 string but with a string that ONLY goes DUNGA GUNGA GUNGA GUNGA DUNGA.

Fucks sake. I hate them.