Author Topic: DT14 speculation thread  (Read 76727 times)

Offline metrojam

Re: DT14 speculation thread
« Reply #385 on: November 02, 2016, 11:53:52 AM »
Heavy or not, proggy or not, PLEASE just let it be better than their last two efforts (my two least favourite DT albums in their history).

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #386 on: November 03, 2016, 05:35:44 AM »
I'd love for them to work with the Caveman again. Even though FII isn't my favorite of albums, the sound on that album was excellent. I also don't want him ruining any songs for them this time. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #387 on: November 03, 2016, 06:15:25 AM »
That was from the record company though John.  The were pressuring using outside writers.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #388 on: November 03, 2016, 06:54:11 AM »
I'd love for them to work with the Caveman again. Even though FII isn't my favorite of albums, the sound on that album was excellent. I also don't want him ruining any songs for them this time. :lol
I could get behind this, for sure.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #389 on: November 03, 2016, 07:59:50 AM »
Would love to hear songs in the vein of Scarred, Trial of Tears, Breaking all Illusions...stuff like that where the music and the lyrics are an emotional roller coaster.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #390 on: November 03, 2016, 08:02:07 AM »
I could get behind this, for sure.

I'm not a fan of KS's production on any of the recent Maiden albums, but I agree that the production of FII sounds great.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #391 on: November 03, 2016, 08:04:55 AM »
My money is down that DT14 will top ToT as their heaviest album.

Offline goo-goo

Re: Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #392 on: November 03, 2016, 08:06:36 AM »
I really liked The Astonishing but i am looking forward to a new single disc DT album again.

I made a compilation of TA since at this point I don't care about the story. I listened to the full album many times, but not I just want to listen to the TA highlights (for me anyway). I ended up having like 18 songs I think.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #393 on: November 03, 2016, 08:23:05 AM »
Don't really have any predictions as to the sound or songwriting, after their last 3 albums, anything is possible, but I do predict that the album in some ways, is much further along than has been revealed. I'm sure John is at least coming up with ideas for it already. Though I do hope this one will be back to being a full-band effort and written in studio.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: November 03, 2016, 09:16:21 AM »

Well we do know that Petrucci is getting an 8 string...

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #395 on: November 03, 2016, 09:17:37 AM »
I don't think so. With JP and JR on the lead, I really doubt they go that heavy ever again.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #396 on: November 03, 2016, 09:38:54 AM »
I sincerely doubt that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #397 on: November 03, 2016, 10:35:59 AM »
Hey, anything can happen

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #398 on: November 03, 2016, 10:49:33 AM »
Yes, but just because something can happen doesn't mean it is likely to happen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: November 03, 2016, 11:55:15 AM »
I'd bet more on an ADTOE/I&W type of album than ToT

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #400 on: November 03, 2016, 12:26:31 PM »
My bet would be ADTOE style. That worked for them, and after the TA experiment they might want to return to something they know worked.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #401 on: November 03, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »
My bet would be ADTOE style. That worked for them, and after the TA experiment they might want to return to something they know worked.
That's a good point.  But it's really hard to say, for me.  Although they definitely have a "signature style," this band has been pretty diverse over the years.  Seems like whenever we think we know what to expect from them, within a few albums, they manage to surprise most of us.  The Astonishing is a classic example.  I never would have predicted a musical style album (even though it isn't really THAT far outside of what they have done in the past).

But here's an interesting thing to think about, and it kind of supports your prediction:  We know JP said in the past that he was at times reluctant to do something that is TOO far outside of what DT fans would expect DT to do.  Yet they deviated from that with TA.  And he knew some fans might not be on board with it to begin with.  So I can't help but wonder, if he perceives that maybe there was too much pushback from the fanbase, whether he might take that as confirmation and play it even more "safe" for the next album (or albums). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #402 on: November 03, 2016, 02:01:14 PM »
It would be an absolute shame if the very mixed reception of TA caused DT to play it safe from now on. DT was always at their best when they took chances. To this day I feel there was nothing wrong with the idea of TA per se, it was just the execution that I felt was lacking.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:07:19 PM by rumborak »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #403 on: November 03, 2016, 02:09:08 PM »
Yes, it's kind of ironic that some fans were wanting DT to do something different, then the band go and do exactly that with The Astonishing and the fans cry foul. Then some will no doubt complain if/when DT go back to their traditional album. There just ain't no pleasing some folks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: November 03, 2016, 02:09:52 PM »
It would be an absolute shame if the very mixed reception of TA caused DT to play it safe from now on. DT was always at their best when they took chances. To this day I feel there was nothing wrong with the idea of TA per se, it was just the execution that I felt was lacking.

I agree, but maybe and this is just speculation, but a financial impact could be a more determining factor than creativeness to do something less risky.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #405 on: November 03, 2016, 06:31:24 PM »

I agree, only I love even the execution. One of the reasons I rank it so high is because of how bold it was for them to do such a huge exciting undertaking.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #406 on: November 05, 2016, 03:58:23 PM »
Yes, it's kind of ironic that some fans were wanting DT to do something different, then the band go and do exactly that with The Astonishing and the fans cry foul. Then some will no doubt complain if/when DT go back to their traditional album. There just ain't no pleasing some folks.

I don't think it's the same fans crying both things.  I was always on board the "do something different" wagon, and TA was different, and I'm really thrilled about this album.  It still doesn't beat I&W and Awake for me, but I'd rank it my fourth favorite album.

I do think we'll get a safer album this time, though.  I don't think it will be super-heavy, though.  I'm predicting more along the lines of DT12/ADTOE.  The "full rock songs" on TA (TGOM, ANB, MoB, ONW) all seemed to be along these lines.  And I'm fine with that.  I like their new sound.  I like hearing rock songs in a major key, too.

I'm also in the camp where I wouldn't be disappointed if they tried to put a commercial hit or two on their next album.  Although the meat of DT's work is always going to be too thick for the masses, it would be nice not having to explain who Dream Theater is to like 90% of the people you meet.

I wouldn't consider it a sell out.  A lot of famous progressive bands have a handful of radio hits.  Yes does.  Genesis does.  King Crimson does.  Rush does.  I also don't think it would be horrible if they brought in an outside producer.  They're at the point in their career where they could probably get whoever they wanted.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #407 on: November 05, 2016, 04:43:04 PM »
   A lot of famous progressive bands have a handful of radio hits.  Yes does.  Genesis does.  King Crimson does.  Rush does.   

I have never heard a single King Crimson track on the radio. In. My. Life. Ever.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #408 on: November 05, 2016, 04:43:32 PM »
I'm also in the camp where I wouldn't be disappointed if they tried to put a commercial hit or two on their next album.

You make it sound as if they could just whip those out if they just felt like it.
I would say Our New World is very close to what one could consider a mainstream rock song. I don't think it had much effect though.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #409 on: November 05, 2016, 04:48:01 PM »
   A lot of famous progressive bands have a handful of radio hits.  Yes does.  Genesis does.  King Crimson does.  Rush does.   

I have never heard a single King Crimson track on the radio. In. My. Life. Ever.

I think I've heard 21st century Schizoid Man once or twice, and rarely Elephant Talk. But yeah, KC is as far removed from sellout as one could imagine.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #410 on: November 05, 2016, 04:48:37 PM »
I expect the album to have some longer songs. Maybe an album of ~10m pieces?

We haven't had any of these since ADTOE (clearly Illumination Theory, despite being the monster track it is, doesn't qualify as a ~10m song), and I feel that that's probably the songwriting range where DT has excelled the most in their career. It would both be a safe bet and a change with respect to the most recent past. As for me, I would certainly like this direction!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #411 on: November 06, 2016, 05:26:22 AM »
I think they really wanted Our New World to become a well know radio hit. They postet their (imho not very good) version with Lzzy like a THOUSAND times on their FB wall, saying "check this out". Most of the people replied to that post with exactly my thoughts. Thank you! We have seen it, stop throwing it into our faces, it's not at all a big effort to shorten a song and let a female singer sing on it.
When I think of (very long existing) Prog bands that have NEVER sold out, the only ones I can think of are Crimso, VdGG and maybe Rush (although their style has moved away from their typical Progrock sound of 75-81). I would dare to say, Dream Theater are amongst them. Sure, they made albums like Falling Into Infinity (BTW I AGREE!!! Very good sounding album, for me, the BEST Snaredrum sound any DT or Portnoy album ever had. That pickup on Trial Of Tears, wow!). Also TA had shorter songs. But who in earth would call releasing a 130min Prog Metal concept album a sellout?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #412 on: November 06, 2016, 11:54:40 AM »
Put James on guitar and Mangini on vocals
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #413 on: November 06, 2016, 10:02:07 PM »

Nightmare Cinema II?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #414 on: November 07, 2016, 06:42:30 AM »

That would be painful to listen...   :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #415 on: November 10, 2016, 01:54:21 AM »
I don't know if this has been brought up already, but Mangini is doing a solo album. From his Facebook account:

"A badly needed couple of days off just happened.Group Golf, Rest & BBQ! On this tour and Daily: I either work on my solo album, exercise or relearn/learn older DT tunes. More updates on all those things will follow."

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #416 on: November 10, 2016, 06:56:18 AM »
I don't know if this has been brought up already, but Mangini is doing a solo album. From his Facebook account:

"A badly needed couple of days off just happened.Group Golf, Rest & BBQ! On this tour and Daily: I either work on my solo album, exercise or relearn/learn older DT tunes. More updates on all those things will follow."

Oh wow, I had no clue...That'll be interesting. I wonder if he will play all the instruments? What all can Mike play besides drums?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #417 on: November 10, 2016, 07:36:44 AM »
Seems like I remember an interview with him once where he mentioned being able to play other instruments, for compositional purposes.

I would imagine that for an actual album, he would hire other musicians.  But maybe not.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #418 on: November 10, 2016, 12:30:23 PM »
I just hope they make something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW8er2UEHF4

make more use of Labrie/bass/harmony, cohesive songwriting.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #419 on: November 11, 2016, 05:48:31 AM »
I just hope they make something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW8er2UEHF4

make more use of Labrie/bass/harmony, cohesive songwriting.

But their recent writing has been very cohesive. Now, whether you find it coherent or not is another story.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael