Author Topic: DT14 speculation thread  (Read 76943 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: DT14 speculation thread
« Reply #350 on: October 26, 2016, 01:50:38 PM »
Oh, man!  JP's gonna be pissed when he finds out I accidentally leaked the title!  :ontome:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #351 on: October 26, 2016, 02:02:29 PM »
I hope TA was the beginning of a "fuck it, we do as we please" phase for DT. I might not have liked the result, but TA was daring, and that's good.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #352 on: October 26, 2016, 04:15:44 PM »
They are at the best point in their career for that.

At this point they have enough albums and different periods that there's always going to be fans who think they lost it, no matter what they put out. They have also been around long enough that their hardcore fans probably aren't going anywhere. Might as well use that to their advantage and continue defying expectations.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #353 on: October 26, 2016, 11:44:14 PM »
I hope TA was the beginning of a "fuck it, we do as we please" phase for DT. I might not have liked the result, but TA was daring, and that's good.

Judging by the discussion about ticket sales, I'm not sure they can afford to say "fuck it, we do as we please" for too long.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #354 on: October 27, 2016, 02:26:08 AM »

Sign me in!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: October 27, 2016, 06:38:16 AM »

Judging by the discussion about ticket sales, I'm not sure they can afford to say "fuck it, we do as we please" for too long.

Ehh at least they tried.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #356 on: October 27, 2016, 06:47:15 AM »

Yeah but the first US leg sold well, it's just the random second leg that isn't. So I think the low ticket sales we are seeing now have more to do with other factors like small markets, exact same show, etc... than it does with the band doing something different.

If they would have only done one US leg, we wouldn't even be having the conversation.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #357 on: October 27, 2016, 06:48:31 AM »
I'm hoping DT14 is like Train of Thought and Awake...dark, heavy, intense. Though, they haven't gone that way since that drummer left, so I don't know.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #358 on: October 27, 2016, 06:53:18 AM »
I'm hoping DT14 is like Train of Thought and Awake...dark, heavy, intense. Though, they haven't gone that way since that drummer left, so I don't know.

I agree. And DT have been kinda reactionary throughout their history in that way. ToT was followed by Oct. Oct. was followed by SC. They do have a history of putting out one specific type of album and then following it up with a very different type of album.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #359 on: October 28, 2016, 06:08:49 AM »
When does it become that time of year where everyone makes the new-fic album covers?

;)
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #360 on: October 28, 2016, 09:54:22 AM »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #361 on: October 28, 2016, 10:29:47 AM »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #362 on: October 28, 2016, 02:49:05 PM »
As much as I like Portnoy and have the upmost respect for him it would be interesting and maybe refreshing hearing a heavy DT album without his vocal lines and input, since he left they haven't gone too heavy but I think it would definitely be the right move for them at this point, as someone said before the cinematic tracks are becoming a little overdone. Creating something a bit more raw would help, and I believe less overdubs and layering would create far more opportunity to hear individual instruments more pronounced and clear (Especially the bass)

Yes, this for sure. Rawer, less overdubs, less of the orchestral sounds (I love them but they were very prominent on the last 3 albums). Time for some pure rock without the over-production.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #363 on: October 28, 2016, 03:22:16 PM »

Looks like fantasy has really grew on DT  :mehlin
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #364 on: October 31, 2016, 01:23:05 PM »
They are at the best point in their career for that.

Not really :facepalm:

How can you say that with at most 25% capacity at US shows????

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #365 on: October 31, 2016, 01:24:24 PM »
I'm hoping DT14 is like Train of Thought and Awake...dark, heavy, intense.

THIS 1000%! DT14 needs to bring people back, not continuing to turn fans away.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #366 on: October 31, 2016, 01:41:02 PM »
This might be a silly question but the thought crossed my mind. Do you think they're "too old" to be making extremely heavy albums like Train of Thought? Do you think that they're more likely to make something a bit lighter like ADTOE?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #367 on: October 31, 2016, 01:45:54 PM »
This might be a silly question but the thought crossed my mind. Do you think they're "too old" to be making extremely heavy albums like Train of Thought? Do you think that they're more likely to make something a bit lighter like ADTOE?

Honestly, since it seems that JP will be using an 8 string, I'm guessing he will use it for heavy as well as lighter stuff, which doesn't exclude a ToT-like album. But maybe I'm wrong.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #368 on: October 31, 2016, 02:57:38 PM »
This might be a silly question but the thought crossed my mind. Do you think they're "too old" to be making extremely heavy albums like Train of Thought? 

Not at all. The Enemy Inside is easily one of their heaviest songs, and that's pretty recent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #369 on: October 31, 2016, 03:11:07 PM »
They had a number of pretty heavy songs on the two albums before TA.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #370 on: October 31, 2016, 05:19:48 PM »
ADTOE was really heavy in places actually. It's just the crips and keyboard-heavy production aswell as the softer drum sound that makes it seem less in-your-face.
I actually love this style of mixing for DT. Works really well on both ADTOE and Octavarium imho.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #371 on: October 31, 2016, 06:22:32 PM »
I'm not really talking about some random heavy songs. Train of Thought was, from its onset, an album that they deliberately wanted to be heavy and dark all around. The same thing could be said for Awake. I'm just wondering if it's still in them to go that direction with the music as a whole again.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #372 on: October 31, 2016, 06:38:28 PM »
I'm not really talking about some random heavy songs. Train of Thought was, from its onset, an album that they deliberately wanted to be heavy and dark all around. The same thing could be said for Awake. I'm just wondering if it's still in them to go that direction with the music as a whole again.

Why? There's no need to re-hash those albums. The current balanced style is much better.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #373 on: November 01, 2016, 02:59:09 AM »

Awake was not that heavy as a whole i think, it's just a production thing. It was heavy, but it's not less heavy to ADTOE let's say, it's just the production (especially the guitars) that makes it heavier in sound.

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #374 on: November 01, 2016, 04:54:52 AM »

Awake was not that heavy as a whole i think, it's just a production thing. It was heavy, but it's not less heavy to ADTOE let's say, it's just the production (especially the guitars) that makes it heavier in sound.
I think it goes beyond production, I would definitely call ADOTE more proggier and lighter than Awake. I agree that ADOTE has heavy moments, however. But lie/the mirror are heavier than anything on ADOTE... right? Dark, heavy and moody.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #375 on: November 01, 2016, 05:46:39 AM »

Heavy and dark. There was an overall mood to the album. I felt the same mood with Train of Thought, though ToT was a bit more relentless, especially with some of the lyrical content.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #376 on: November 01, 2016, 07:05:07 AM »
Heavy and dark. There was an overall mood to the album. I felt the same mood with Train of Thought, though ToT was a bit more relentless, especially with some of the lyrical content.

I know what you're saying and yeah I think they could make something similar in mood and style if they wanted to.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #377 on: November 01, 2016, 10:26:52 AM »

I know what you're saying and yeah I think they could make something similar in mood and style if they wanted to.

It would be hard to replicate the darkness of Awake because, from my appreciation, it comes from genuine angst. It's a product of both the early 1990s era of angsty music and the point of life the band members were in at the time.  The members seem to be genuinely at a peaceful moment in their life right now, so it's hard to imagine them doing something like Awake now.

Offline Blind Faythe

« Reply #378 on: November 01, 2016, 10:48:11 AM »

I agree with Prog Snob. The atmosphere to Awake was extremely moody. Heck, even Space Dye Vest to me, has a really dark atmosphere and even Lifting Shadows Off a Dream to me was a beautiful song, yet had this angsty feeling to me. Train of Thought to me didn't match the moodiness to me as Awake has, but it was still really heavy.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #379 on: November 01, 2016, 08:12:34 PM »
ADTOE was a pretty good album. Certainly not heavy enough for some but a lot of prog mood so I really enjoyed it. DT12 may be heavy enough but less prog mood so for me it was not as good. Recently I have been listening more to it and I like it better.

I don't think they have to come up necessaraly with a super heavy album. But a good mix of heavy and prog is what would please me. They are getting older (not old) and it will show for sure but not as much as we would think. Anyway, I'm not afraid of their capacity of making very good and great music for many years to come.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #380 on: November 01, 2016, 08:19:02 PM »

It would be hard to replicate the darkness of Awake because, from my appreciation, it comes from genuine angst. It's a product of both the early 1990s era of angsty music and the point of life the band members were in at the time.  The members seem to be genuinely at a peaceful moment in their life right now, so it's hard to imagine them doing something like Awake now.

A very good point. If DT tried to force a certain state of mind that they didn't naturally feel, It'd probably just come off as flat and uninspired.

If they're in a peaceful happy place, then their album should reflect that. I might not dig the music (or I might) but I'd definitely respect it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MacClaus

« Reply #381 on: November 02, 2016, 01:50:08 AM »
They should fire James and Jordan... that would be a new begin for a new chapter. And DT should hire a good producer.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: November 02, 2016, 06:44:22 AM »
 ??? :huh:

:justjen

???
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #383 on: November 02, 2016, 07:48:34 AM »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #384 on: November 02, 2016, 07:51:29 AM »
LOL.

At this point, maybe after The Astonishing, DT would try and bring producer. They have nothing else to prove. Then again, not sure if JP will be willing to let someone else take the producer's seat. He seems like he would.