Author Topic: DT14 speculation thread  (Read 77076 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: DT14 speculation thread
« Reply #245 on: September 08, 2016, 05:07:20 PM »
So then that phenomenon doesn't exist except between the third and second string?

In standard tuning, yea.

See, I learned something new today.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #246 on: September 08, 2016, 10:54:43 PM »
According to this thread, it has been confirmed that JP will use a 8-string guitar on the next album.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #247 on: September 09, 2016, 03:48:25 AM »
Myung would need a 6 string bass to play the petrucci riffs an octave lower *If he plans on octaving some of his low end riffs*

But he already plays on a 6 strings... ???

B.Lee

Does he play with a low F# string though or is his sixth string a higher B on the other end?

EDIT:

Done a bit of quick research and apparently his standard tuning for most of the songs is BEADGC, so he's added a string either end, would definitely need a low F# if there's a lot of 8 string riffing on the album. I don't think he'd want to get rid of his C string either so he may end up using a 7 string bass hahaha

A 7 string bass? Me likey! :metal :rollin

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline CoT67

« Reply #248 on: September 09, 2016, 03:54:51 AM »
Myung would need a 6 string bass to play the petrucci riffs an octave lower *If he plans on octaving some of his low end riffs*

AFAIK, Meshuggah's Dick Lovgren plays on the same octave with a dirtier sound, so the bass tone meshes together with the guitars and the whole becomes a huge wall of sound.

I think maybe Periphery uses a bass tuned an octave lower, but their sound is processed in such a way that the low end must not be prominent, so you can hear everything.

I would prefer for DT to stay over the A/Ab range on a 7 just for the sake of their live sound, but who knows what they'll do this time.
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #249 on: September 10, 2016, 06:14:57 PM »
My guess for DT14 is that it will come packaged with the Astonishing game app.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #250 on: September 13, 2016, 05:20:51 PM »
My prediction for DT14 is that we will have to wait and see.. :chill
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: September 13, 2016, 05:22:40 PM »
My prediction for DT14 is that we will have to wait and see.. :chill

:rollin hahahaha that'll never happen.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #252 on: September 13, 2016, 06:49:11 PM »
I predict a metric shit-ton of forced epicness.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #253 on: September 17, 2016, 03:53:38 AM »
If it's anything like ADTOE I'd be very happy, maybe a bit more consistent but in the same vein

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #254 on: September 17, 2016, 08:34:04 AM »
I predict a metric shit-ton of forced epicness.

Are you from the future or something?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: September 17, 2016, 02:25:16 PM »
The last time DT did a double album - half of which was loosely a concept - they followed it up with a short heavy album - Train Of Thought.

Offline Cable

« Reply #256 on: September 17, 2016, 10:12:52 PM »
A increasingly bigger Periphery fan, and older output Meshuggah fan; I would prefer JP to stay away from an 8 string. I embrace 7 strings fully, and the basses that can accompany them. 8 string guitar range just pushes it too far, and really nullifies the bass. At the end of the day, a big role for bass in harder rock is to double guitar riffs. My one knock on Myung is he does this too much. Yes yes, bass can do so much more and so on. But a heavy riff is heavier doubled by a bass. And the point of the bass was to fill out that lower frequency, not have it taken over by guitar.

Meshuggah sounds mostly like garbage since Nothing IMO. Some of that is tone, but another is actually the limitations I feel they impose by using 8 strings all the time. Their riffs are mostly single note, octave based stuff, with some random notes to make it atonal. I mean, Dehumanization, Rational Gaze, and Demiurge all have pronounced octave riffs. In the case of the last two, they dominate their songs. They ride the low F so much, vs. using maybe low B or the either low E string from time to time. Their song "I" is actually a better usage of 8 strings, in that they mix in riffs on different strings. But songs like "I" are more of the exception to them IMO.

The strange thing is that Periphery is not really heavier vs. Meshuggah when they go 8 string, considering Nolly tunes an octave lower as mentioned. Certainly Nolly has some in depth mixing with his tone. https://youtu.be/lMxbP1V3WBo?t=4m40s. But to me, it shows that enough is enough- we cannot easily discern the difference between an F1 guitar and an F0 bass note with the Periphery approach compared to the Meshuggah same octave approach. Especially when distortion is thrown in. The other problem is chordal options are limited as well. Bass players have known this for a long time, low chords are used very sparingly. So what is the point?

Between Jordan's left hand and JP's 8-string, I think JM might as well not show up anymore.

:-[ :'( My fear exactly. His bass went out during the Astonishing show I saw, and I could not even hear a difference.
---

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #257 on: September 18, 2016, 03:54:36 AM »
His bass went out during the Astonishing show I saw, and I could not even hear a difference.

That's unfortunate. In the show I went to, JM was loud and clear.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #258 on: September 18, 2016, 06:48:28 AM »
A increasingly bigger Periphery fan, and older output Meshuggah fan; I would prefer JP to stay away from an 8 string. I embrace 7 strings fully, and the basses that can accompany them. 8 string guitar range just pushes it too far, and really nullifies the bass. At the end of the day, a big role for bass in harder rock is to double guitar riffs. My one knock on Myung is he does this too much. Yes yes, bass can do so much more and so on. But a heavy riff is heavier doubled by a bass. And the point of the bass was to fill out that lower frequency, not have it taken over by guitar.

Meshuggah sounds mostly like garbage since Nothing IMO. Some of that is tone, but another is actually the limitations I feel they impose by using 8 strings all the time. Their riffs are mostly single note, octave based stuff, with some random notes to make it atonal. I mean, Dehumanization, Rational Gaze, and Demiurge all have pronounced octave riffs. In the case of the last two, they dominate their songs. They ride the low F so much, vs. using maybe low B or the either low E string from time to time. Their song "I" is actually a better usage of 8 strings, in that they mix in riffs on different strings. But songs like "I" are more of the exception to them IMO.

The strange thing is that Periphery is not really heavier vs. Meshuggah when they go 8 string, considering Nolly tunes an octave lower as mentioned. Certainly Nolly has some in depth mixing with his tone. https://youtu.be/lMxbP1V3WBo?t=4m40s. But to me, it shows that enough is enough- we cannot easily discern the difference between an F1 guitar and an F0 bass note with the Periphery approach compared to the Meshuggah same octave approach. Especially when distortion is thrown in. The other problem is chordal options are limited as well. Bass players have known this for a long time, low chords are used very sparingly. So what is the point?

Between Jordan's left hand and JP's 8-string, I think JM might as well not show up anymore.

:-[ :'( My fear exactly. His bass went out during the Astonishing show I saw, and I could not even hear a difference.

Sad. His bass playing was barely audible on TA.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #259 on: September 19, 2016, 09:54:25 AM »
His bass playing was barely audible on TA.

It depends on your sound system.  Unfortunately, I feel like his bass is pretty low in the mix on this album in general.  But if you are listening on a system where you can hear him, he is doing some REALLY cool stuff. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #260 on: September 19, 2016, 10:43:28 AM »

It depends on your sound system.  Unfortunately, I feel like his bass is pretty low in the mix on this album in general.  But if you are listening on a system where you can hear him, he is doing some REALLY cool stuff.

I know this is the old fart in me but I miss the days of separation of instruments.  I want to soak it all in from every instrument.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #261 on: September 19, 2016, 10:53:47 AM »

I know this is the old fart in me but I miss the days of separation of instruments.  I want to soak it all in from every instrument.

Yes, but...in those same days you are pining for, the bass was often buried in the mix on a lot of albums simply because the bass player was low in the mix and just playing root notes most of the time. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: September 19, 2016, 11:28:13 AM »
Maybe I was drawn to bands like Yes, Rush where the bass was in the forefront and I'm projecting my preference.  The 80's I agree is when the lines were blurred and certain instruments were lost in the mix.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #263 on: September 19, 2016, 11:51:39 AM »
So true. I can't even hear any guitar on those 80's Rush albums.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #264 on: September 19, 2016, 12:47:37 PM »
Rush had a guitar player in the 80s? I thought they replaced him with a synthesizer.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: September 19, 2016, 01:01:30 PM »

You silly ninny.  Those are the best examples of separation! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #266 on: September 19, 2016, 01:36:54 PM »

You silly ninny.  Those are the best examples of separation! :lol

Yup, separating the guitar player from the rest of the band!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: September 19, 2016, 02:04:23 PM »
IT's not my Rush.  Boo hoo. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #268 on: September 19, 2016, 02:16:24 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: September 19, 2016, 02:34:49 PM »
 :lol

Exactly.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #270 on: September 19, 2016, 07:39:05 PM »

I agree with the bass being very low in the mix and that's very unfortunate. I can hear it but it's unusual to have it that low. The bass and drums could be improved in the mix imo.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #271 on: September 20, 2016, 03:34:02 AM »
In fact JP will play a 8 string guitar and JM will play the guitar ! :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #272 on: September 20, 2016, 12:18:16 PM »
The last time DT did a double album - half of which was loosely a concept - they followed it up with a short heavy album - Train Of Thought.

This would be great.    I didn't particularly care for the concept part of 6 Degrees and I completely dislike Astonishing.   However, I LOVE Train of Thought.   Probably my second fav DT album after Awake
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #273 on: September 20, 2016, 12:44:03 PM »
I'm not so sure I would rely on TOT for the expectation of a "short" heavy album.  TOT was just shy of 70 minutes.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: September 20, 2016, 01:37:35 PM »
I'm not so sure I would rely on TOT for the expectation of a "short" heavy album.  TOT was just shy of 70 minutes.  :lol

I meant primarily in the number of tracks. The least number of tracks for a DT album at the time.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #275 on: September 20, 2016, 10:34:44 PM »
Isn't it still one of the shorter DT albums?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #276 on: September 20, 2016, 10:37:42 PM »

3rd shortest. WDADU and I&W are both shorter.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #277 on: September 20, 2016, 10:47:02 PM »

DT12 is 68 minutes, or are we ignoring that album exists?

Because I'd be ok with that.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #278 on: September 20, 2016, 10:51:30 PM »

DT12 is 68 minutes, or are we ignoring that album exists?

Because I'd be ok with that.

I tend to do that.

However, in this case it was the only album that didn't list a total run time on Wikipedia, so I just assumed DT did a normal 77 or so minute album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #279 on: September 21, 2016, 02:56:20 AM »
The total runtime is listed at the top of the page, but not with the tracklist. I distinctly remember at the time DTF making a big deal out of the fact it was only around 70 minutes. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.