Author Topic: DT14 speculation thread  (Read 77158 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT14 speculation thread
« Reply #210 on: September 03, 2016, 08:46:02 AM »
inb4 8 string Majesty

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #211 on: September 03, 2016, 11:40:40 AM »
Between Jordan's left hand and JP's 8-string, I think JM might as well not show up anymore.

A bit exaggerated, but I think the point stands. With how dense DT has been arranging and producing, I hope space will still be allotted for JM.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #212 on: September 04, 2016, 02:59:17 PM »
There's a bit of a "war" going on in DT. JP went from 6 to 7, and now to 8 strings. JM added his bass pedal board. MM scaled up his kit to insane size (in comparison to MP). Backing tracks were added.

I know it's a somewhat lame thing to say, but I wonder what DT would come up with if they had one guitar with a store amp, one simple keyboard, a classic drumkit, and a bass.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #213 on: September 04, 2016, 05:26:35 PM »

I know it's a somewhat lame thing to say, but I wonder what DT would come up with if they had one guitar with a store amp, one simple keyboard, a classic drumkit, and a bass.

Now this is a direction I'd like to see.  Working with the tools that early Black Sabbath and Deep Purple had to deal with.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #214 on: September 04, 2016, 05:59:41 PM »

Now this is a direction I'd like to see.  Working with the tools that early Black Sabbath and Deep Purple had to deal with.

That pretty much what they did with Octavarium. They wrote the whole album on an acoustic guitar, piano, and vocals. JP used only six string guitars with two of the eight songs (These Walls and Panic Attack) using a baritone guitar and therefore inhabiting the bass guitar's range. The album's production left plenty of room to breathe especially for JM.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #215 on: September 04, 2016, 06:37:56 PM »

That pretty much what they did with Octavarium. They wrote the whole album on an acoustic guitar, piano, and vocals.

What?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #216 on: September 05, 2016, 04:13:53 AM »

Yeah, I'd love to hear a more organic and stripped-down DT album, but unfortunately I doubt it'll happen.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #217 on: September 05, 2016, 04:28:16 AM »

That pretty much what they did with Octavarium. They wrote the whole album on an acoustic guitar, piano, and vocals.

What?

From Wikipedia:

Guitarist John Petrucci noted that they wanted to focus on writing strong songs. To achieve this, the band stripped the sound down to piano, guitar and vocals when writing, focusing on the melodies and song structures.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #218 on: September 06, 2016, 06:49:00 AM »
It's hard to imagine writing Panic Attack on an acoustic guitar.

Offline CoT67

« Reply #219 on: September 06, 2016, 07:11:38 AM »
How about some 8 string guitars?

The thing is, IMHO the 8 string's gonna sound like their own take on djent, kinda like what they did with nu-metal in These Walls/TDEN with the bouncy groovy riffs. Not that I didn't like that approach, but I hardly think they could employ the lower range together with the bass effectively, and the "competition" (Meshuggah, Tesseract, Animals As Leaders) is on a league of its own, though now they also do have a badass master of polyrhythms/polymeters as drummer...

Maybe they want to go full Meshuggah on us, that would definitely freak me out (not necessarily for the best).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 07:18:19 AM by CoT67 »
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline Art

« Reply #220 on: September 06, 2016, 07:21:41 AM »

Maybe they want to go full Meshuggah on us, that would definitely freak me out (not necessarily for the best).

hopefully not... :\

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #221 on: September 07, 2016, 04:20:44 AM »
I definitely expect a heavier album in the vein of Train of Thought and I expect it to come out within the usual 2 year cycle.. I liken the Astonishing to SDOIT disc 2, Both albums were double discs and released January 29th of their year of release.. Six Degrees was followed by a far more "focused" and raw sound and I think the band may want to repeat history by doing the same here. The 8 string idea is interesting because 8 strings is commonly related to heavier forms of music, I believe there wouldn't be much of a point using it for cleans anyway, so that has me believe they'll take a heavier route this time around, I think it's needed after the massive cinematic approach on TA. As much as I loved the album, it'd be nice to see them mix things up again

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #222 on: September 07, 2016, 05:36:03 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #223 on: September 07, 2016, 08:26:47 AM »
Heavier is certainly logical.  And I would welcome it, as many others would.  But this band hasn't really shown a patter of doing what is "expected." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CoT67

« Reply #224 on: September 07, 2016, 08:34:31 AM »

What if they go Th1rt3en on us and finally release Another Won, To Live Forever, March Of The Tyrant, Your Majesty, A Vision etc...  in a studio album? That would be pretty freaky :lol
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 08:40:18 AM by CoT67 »
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #225 on: September 07, 2016, 10:25:36 AM »
That would be terrible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #226 on: September 07, 2016, 10:46:42 AM »
I definitely expect a heavier album in the vein of Train of Thought and I expect it to come out within the usual 2 year cycle.. I liken the Astonishing to SDOIT disc 2, Both albums were double discs and released January 29th of their year of release.. Six Degrees was followed by a far more "focused" and raw sound and I think the band may want to repeat history by doing the same here. The 8 string idea is interesting because 8 strings is commonly related to heavier forms of music, I believe there wouldn't be much of a point using it for cleans anyway, so that has me believe they'll take a heavier route this time around, I think it's needed after the massive cinematic approach on TA. As much as I loved the album, it'd be nice to see them mix things up again

I find 8 strings are actually better for clean playing than for heavy playing. You can play lower bass lines and high melodies at the same time. It's perfect for finger picking.

-MirrorMask

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #227 on: September 07, 2016, 10:52:36 AM »
That's a great idea, but I can't see Petrucci using it for that purpose. Chances are it's going to be for heavy riffing.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #228 on: September 07, 2016, 11:00:53 AM »
Why do you say that?  He does TONS of clean guitar work.  I see no reason to rule it out on an 8 string if he were to try one out.  Dude loves to experiment with different things.  So while I think it will natural to see it used for heavy riffing, I would be really surprised if we didn't see him using it for clean playing as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #229 on: September 07, 2016, 11:04:45 AM »
Why do you say that?  He does TONS of clean guitar work.  I see no reason to rule it out on an 8 string if he were to try one out.  Dude loves to experiment with different things.  So while I think it will natural to see it used for heavy riffing, I would be really surprised if we didn't see him using it for clean playing as well.

Yeah I agree. Stylistically, I can imagine JP doing clean picking through interesting chord voicings with the 8 string.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #230 on: September 07, 2016, 11:10:07 AM »
But playing high melodies and a bass line at the same time? You can do that on a 7 string too and JP has never done that, when he uses a 7 string these days it's usually for the heavier riff driven songs (The Enemy Inside, Bridges In the Sky, etc). I don't see that changing with him adding another string.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #231 on: September 07, 2016, 12:05:32 PM »

Agreed. Look at all of the clean parts in A Change of Seasons. The use of extra strings doesn't always have to equate to a heavier song. To me, the mood it brings is darker more than anything else.

Offline CoT67

« Reply #232 on: September 08, 2016, 09:23:01 AM »
That would be terrible.

And that's exactly how Megadeth's Th1rt3en ended up being, in a way.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #233 on: September 08, 2016, 01:33:13 PM »
Myung would need a 6 string bass to play the petrucci riffs an octave lower *If he plans on octaving some of his low end riffs*

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #234 on: September 08, 2016, 01:39:32 PM »
Myung would need a 6 string bass to play the petrucci riffs an octave lower *If he plans on octaving some of his low end riffs*

But he already plays on a 6 strings... ???

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: September 08, 2016, 02:29:27 PM »
What is the 8th string on an 8 string ? an F# ? a C# ?

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #236 on: September 08, 2016, 02:56:09 PM »

Well, it's one louder, isn't it.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: September 08, 2016, 03:12:09 PM »
F##

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #238 on: September 08, 2016, 04:16:40 PM »

Actually, I saw a video of a guy tuning it to E, so he could just bar chord it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #239 on: September 08, 2016, 04:33:49 PM »

Well, if it follows the pattern, it would be a G, no? Does the warp refraction threshold continue on the lower strings? I'm not sure.

Online Adami

« Reply #240 on: September 08, 2016, 04:37:34 PM »

Well, if it follows the pattern, it would be a G, no? Does the warp refraction threshold continue on the lower strings? I'm not sure.

It's an F#. Aside from G to B, the strings all follow the same intervals.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #241 on: September 08, 2016, 04:41:38 PM »
So then that phenomenon doesn't exist except between the third and second string?

Online Adami

« Reply #242 on: September 08, 2016, 04:43:08 PM »
So then that phenomenon doesn't exist except between the third and second string?

In standard tuning, yea.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #243 on: September 08, 2016, 04:55:59 PM »

B.Lee

Does he play with a low F# string though or is his sixth string a higher B on the other end?

EDIT:

Done a bit of quick research and apparently his standard tuning for most of the songs is BEADGC, so he's added a string either end, would definitely need a low F# if there's a lot of 8 string riffing on the album. I don't think he'd want to get rid of his C string either so he may end up using a 7 string bass hahaha
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:03:37 PM by AboutToCrash »

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #244 on: September 08, 2016, 05:04:27 PM »

B.Lee

Does he play with a low F# string though or is his sixth string a higher B on the other end?

I think the tuning from low to high would be BEADGC