Author Topic: WDADU instrumental demos!  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
WDADU instrumental demos!
« on: November 28, 2015, 09:20:44 PM »
I've been listening to my copy of the WDADU demos today and especially listening to Cry for freedom and Resurrection of Ernie. Why do you think they didn't end up with lyrics, on the album? What are your opinions on those two songs?
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
Re: WDADU instrumental demos!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 09:29:26 PM »
Haven't listened to those particular demos yet . . . I'd do that now and report back! ;D
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 09:49:18 PM »
Cry For Freedom = definitely should have been on the album! There's room for it and it's a really solid song. Have no idea why they didn't write lyrics for that one - maybe the record label wanting to keep things around 50 minutes???

As for the other one - it's a great instrumental but for some reason I can't picture it as a song. Would of course need to hear vocals on it to be sure but it doesn't seem like it would make the cut as a song on that particular album to me. The solos are gold though, wish they would have copy/pasted that onto another song!

"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline Illegalastronaught

• Buzz
  • I am not of this world
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 10:26:46 PM »
Cry For Freedom = definitely should have been on the album! There's room for it and it's a really solid song. Have no idea why they didn't write lyrics for that one - maybe the record label wanting to keep things around 50 minutes???

As for the other one - it's a great instrumental but for some reason I can't picture it as a song. Would of course need to hear vocals on it to be sure but it doesn't seem like it would make the cut as a song on that particular album to me. The solos are gold though, wish they would have copy/pasted that onto another song!

Freedom is FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!  Why isn't it on the album?????
"That's one small step for man" - Hollywood

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 01:10:44 AM »
Resurrection of Ernie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all SC

I love early Majesty/DT era !

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 05:04:12 PM »
I've been listening to my copy of the WDADU demos today and especially listening to Cry for freedom and Resurrection of Ernie. Why do you think they didn't end up with lyrics, on the album? What are your opinions on those two songs?
Cry For Freedom did have lyrics - in fact I believe they were only one of two lyrics that Chris Collins wrote (the other being the original lyrics to Afterlife). You can hear a recording of CFF with lyrics on bootlegs of both the 9/25/86 and 10/25/86 shows, which are in circulation.

As for why Resurrection of Ernie never had lyrics, I think it was a song that they just never completed. Purely speculation on my part, but I'd imagine that they felt that the other material that they were working on at the time was stronger, and so never followed thru with completing it. I'd imagine that they had similar feelings for why CFF didn't make it on to WDaDU, nor any of the original 86 Majesty demo songs.

Personally, I like both tracks, altho neither would make my top 20 list or maybe even my top 50 list (I've never made such lists and don't plan on it, so I'm just guessing).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 05:10:14 PM »
Both are very good and based on the music alone are better than some stuff that made the album.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 10:44:27 PM »
Cry For Freedom did have lyrics

:omg: Didn't know that... Thanks!..

The lyrics and, especially, the CC vocals don't help the song though.. The instrumental version is better by far..

UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 05:12:03 AM »
Cry For Freedom did have lyrics - in fact I believe they were only one of two lyrics that Chris Collins wrote (the other being the original lyrics to Afterlife). You can hear a recording of CFF with lyrics on bootlegs of both the 9/25/86 and 10/25/86 shows, which are in circulation.
You are correct. In fact, the lyrics for Cry For Freedom were only done shortly after the original 6-track Majesty Demos tape was recorded. If it had been done earlier, it would have been on there, and the lyrics sheet included with the Majesty demos would mean we'd know what the lyrics are(Which is still not the case, despite the two '86 shows being in circulation for years; I dare anyone to figure out what he's saying).

As for why Resurrection of Ernie never had lyrics, I think it was a song that they just never completed. Purely speculation on my part, but I'd imagine that they felt that the other material that they were working on at the time was stronger, and so never followed thru with completing it. I'd imagine that they had similar feelings for why CFF didn't make it on to WDaDU, nor any of the original 86 Majesty demo songs.

Personally, I like both tracks, altho neither would make my top 20 list or maybe even my top 50 list (I've never made such lists and don't plan on it, so I'm just guessing).
This song, like The School Song from the Majesty Demos, had this one demo put together, and then was never revisited or even fully finished instrumentally. Its title is simply its instrumental working title, since they never came up with a better name for it.

As for why neither was on WDADU, it was down to time restraints. Apparently, both of these(Although possibly just CFF) along with A Vision '89, and possibly also To Live Forever, were all planned to go on the album(And in fact, those last two were even performed live with Charlie a few times), but they had 4 weeks to record, mix, and master the album, so they barely had enough time to record the material they did end up putting on it.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 08:09:50 PM »
As for why neither was on WDADU, it was down to time restraints. Apparently, both of these(Although possibly just CFF) along with A Vision '89, and possibly also To Live Forever, were all planned to go on the album(And in fact, those last two were even performed live with Charlie a few times), but they had 4 weeks to record, mix, and master the album, so they barely had enough time to record the material they did end up putting on it.
Honestly, this is the first I've heard that it came down to time restraints for why none of those songs appeared on WDaDU - can you cite where you got this info from? I do know that TLF was *not* intended to be on WDaDU because they didn't write it until after they had recorded WDaDU! According to the WDaDU demo liner notes, they went into the studio in July, whereas TLF was written after they saw U2's Rattle and Hum film, which was released November 4th in the US.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 03:37:07 PM »
Honestly, this is the first I've heard that it came down to time restraints for why none of those songs appeared on WDaDU - can you cite where you got this info from? I do know that TLF was *not* intended to be on WDaDU because they didn't write it until after they had recorded WDaDU! According to the WDaDU demo liner notes, they went into the studio in July, whereas TLF was written after they saw U2's Rattle and Hum film, which was released November 4th in the US.
Well, TBH it's been ages since I read about this stuff, so I can't remember where I read it. Regarding To Live Forever, I did say it was possibly, since I'd actually forgotten which songs whoever wrote what I was reading was referring to. I'm certain it included Cry For Freedom and A Vision '89, though.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal