Author Topic: Alien: Covenant  (Read 24243 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Alien: Covenant
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2017, 02:02:08 PM »
I'm guessing they never made it to the Engineers' home world.  Maybe David discovered their cargo and didn't want it to be unleashed on the Engineers, so he sabotaged the ship and caused it to land/crash on this world.  Of course, that doesn't explain why the world is terraformed.  Maybe, if my above scenario is correct, he caused the ship to malfunction close to a world he had located that had already been terraformed by the Engineers and was like, "The ship is malfunctioning and I can't fix it.  But look--luckily, we are close to a world you can survive on.  Let's go there until I can fix the ship."  Or maybe it was just a random planet that wasn't Terraformed, but the Engineers had a terraforming apparatus onboard, and David learned to use it and get the process going.  Seems like there probably isn't enough passage of time for the latter, but whatever.  Just trying to come up with plausible theories.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2017, 02:41:11 PM »
I think it's meant to be the engineer's homeworld ?

I just hope it clears up some stuff from Prometheus.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2017, 03:37:41 PM »
Okay, found some stuff from someone who visited on location and talked with Scott and others.  Mildly spoilerish below (just about where they are--sort of).

Apparently, it definitely is an "Engineer world," although it was not clear if it is THE Engineer home world.  And it seems that all the Engineers there are dead, although it is not clear what killed them.  Likewise, not clear if they died prior to Shaw and David's arrival or if, as was speculated by the guy Adami mentioned, Shaw and David basically launched an attack (presumably with their cargo).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2017, 04:35:36 PM »
Oh, and

...there will apparently be LOTS of creatures.  "Lots of" meaning variety, not just numbers.  And that will apparently include deacons as well as xenomorphs.  And deacons are apparently a completely different variety of alien from the xenomorph, and not simply an ancestor.  Not sure how I feel about them appearing in the movie.

But whatever.  I'll judge it after I've seen it.  I reasonably enjoyed Prometheus.  I expect to reasonably enjoy this one as well.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »
The Deacon was the creature at the very end of Prometheus which birthed from the dead engineer.

It's out there that there's a new NeoMorph - but we haven't seen it yet.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2017, 04:45:06 PM »
The Deacon was the creature at the very end of Prometheus which birthed from the dead engineer.

Exactly.  Again, not sure how I feel about seeing it again.  We'll see.

It's out there that there's a new NeoMorph - but we haven't seen it yet.

Right.

Not clear whether it is the result of a facehugger or the squiddy thing from Prometheus impregnating something other than a human, or if it is the result of David's experiments. 

I hesitate to hunt for anymore information.  While I don't feel like what I know spoils anything major, much more probably will. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2017, 04:49:00 PM »
This is just a guess so no need for spoiler tags - it's in the trailer...

We see a guys spine looking like it's protruding from his body...

What if the NeoMorph doesn't exit your body - but instead becomes your body..As in your whole body just becomes the NeoMorph??

Kinda like in American Werewolf in London. You physically change into one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2017, 04:52:37 PM »
Huh.  Maybe.  I assumed it was just a case of something bigger than a chestburster trying to burst out that completely wrecked his body in the process.  And I kinda feel like that's more horrifying and more in keep with the lore than transforming into something.  ...But then again, zombie dude in Prometheus was transformed, so I could be wrong.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2017, 07:34:07 PM »
This is just a guess so no need for spoiler tags - it's in the trailer...

We see a guys spine looking like it's protruding from his body...

What if the NeoMorph doesn't exit your body - but instead becomes your body..As in your whole body just becomes the NeoMorph??

Kinda like in American Werewolf in London. You physically change into one.

It's referred to as a "backburster" so . . .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2017, 11:37:59 AM »
So Fassbender's name in Covenant is Walter.

Interesting that they broke with tradition.

Ash
Bishop
Call
David

Walter

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2017, 11:51:08 AM »
Yeah, I was kinda looking forward to seeing what "E" name they'd go with.  Also, why isn't he still David?  Or is it actually a different character?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2017, 11:51:43 AM »
Fasbender plays Walter AND David in Covenant.  Two different characters (or, more accurately, two different "models").

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2017, 12:08:36 PM »
Ah.  Thanks!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2017, 12:23:01 PM »
The little bit that has been released is that, in the fictional Alien universe, people reacted very strongly against the David 8.0 model seeming "too human," so Weyland/Yutani created the Walter model to scale back on the human traits (but not appearance) to make him more..."robotic." 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2017, 12:25:25 PM »
There's many subtle 8's in the Meet Walter vignette.

It's also the 8th film in the "Alien" Universe.

i. Alien
ii. Aliens
iii. Alien3
iv. Alien Resurrection
v. Alien V Predator
vi. Alien V Predator : Requiem
vii. Prometheus
viii. Covenant

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2017, 12:39:16 PM »
Pretty sure that Ridley Scott doesn't count those Predator movies.  He loathes them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2017, 12:43:36 PM »
That's like Lars saying Hardwired is their sixth album because he doesn't like Load Reload or St Anger..

They still exist. Covenant Is the 8th Alien Universe movie.

You don't have to acknowledge them. Mainly because Prometheus & Covenant are prequels.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2017, 02:30:20 PM »
I wonder if fassbender got two separate paychecks for playing two different roles $$$

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2017, 02:32:46 PM »
That's like Lars saying Hardwired is their sixth album because he doesn't like Load Reload or St Anger..

They still exist. Covenant Is the 8th Alien Universe movie.

You don't have to acknowledge them. Mainly because Prometheus & Covenant are prequels.

It's nothing like that.  Lars is in the band, and the band made those albums, whether he likes them or not.

The original Alien was by Ridley Scott, and he considers himself the "owner" (for lack of a better word) of the franchise.  But he had absolutely nothing to do with the AvP movies.  They were made without his input and without his permission (not that they needed it, since the studio actually owns the franchise).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2017, 02:39:08 PM »
Fine it would be like Mustaine pretending those albums don't exist :p

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2017, 05:50:39 PM »
It just occurred to me that Ridley scott is about to turn 80 and is still bringing interesting films to the table. When I look at him, I think like late 60's. Damn

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2017, 05:51:32 PM »
It just occurred to me that Ridley scott is about to turn 80 and is still bringing interesting films to the table. When I look at him, I think like late 60's. Damn

I hope he finishes his Alien films before he leaves us.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2017, 06:54:04 PM »

I hope he finishes his Alien films before he leaves us.

Or that he's at least discussed in detail the 'master plan' with a competent director/writer.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2017, 04:08:02 PM »
The headline is a bit deceiving and implies more than what is actually said, but still some interesting info that Ridley Scott revealed.

https://www.alien-covenant.com/news/ridley-scott-reveals-title-the-next-alien-film-after-alien-covenant

So it seems like (but I think is still open to debate, because Scott's comments, to me, are pretty vague) the next movie will take place, timeline-wise, between Prometheus and Covenant.  And if that is the case, speculation is that it will feature Shaw's and David's journey and assumed conflict.  But we don't really know that.  Still interesting either way.  And there is a "Yo Dawg" meme in the fan comments that is actually funny.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2017, 04:22:05 PM »
So it's a prequel sequel prequel ?!?!

:dangerwillrobinson:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2017, 04:26:28 PM »
So it's a prequel sequel prequel ?!?!

:dangerwillrobinson:

Yeah, this. I is confuse...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2017, 04:27:14 PM »
5 sequels to Prometheus ?

God I Hope not.

I hope it's Covenant and two more.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2017, 04:29:36 PM »
He must have been hanging out with JC and caught a case of sequelitis

5 avatar sequels, 5 prometheus sequels  :lol

can we just focus on making one great movie at a time please

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2017, 04:33:46 PM »

Why?  Quality and quantity are not mutually exclusive.  And if the plan is to do more than one anyway, the best way to ensure quality and not painting oneself into plot holes, is to have a big, overarching plan for the whole thing from the beginning instead of making it up as he goes.  If the options are (A) focus on making one great movie, or (B) focus on making five great movies, I'll take (B).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 04:40:21 PM by bosk1 »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2017, 04:40:04 PM »
If the next one takes place between Prometheus and Covenant then I think it's an InBetweenquel :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2017, 04:42:43 PM »

Why?  Quality and quantity are not mutually exclusive.  And if the plan is to do more than one anyway, the best way to ensure quality and not painting oneself into plot holes, is to have a big, overarching plan for the whole thing from the beginning instead of making it up as he goes.  If the options are (A) focus on making one great movie, or (B) focus on making five great movies, I'll take (B).

Right. It's like :

" oh great - FIVE Avatar sequels.... ::) "
" Are you going to see them ? "
" fuck no ! "
" Then why do you care ? "

Jim Cameron could have crapped out an Avatar sequel in 2012 for easy bucks but he's taking his time to work on the scripts and the technology to get it right.

He wrote the first one after titanic in 1998 but waited tll around 2006 when the technology had improved to where he could do it how he wanted.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2017, 05:10:10 PM »
It's been mentioned already, but Scott is 80. I hope he's detailed the grand scheme of things to some close capable confidants.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2017, 05:16:07 PM »
It's been mentioned already, but Scott is 80. I hope he's detailed the grand scheme of things to some close capable confidants.
I wouldn't worry.  The real Ridley Scott actually died BEFORE the first Alien film in '79.  The Ridley Scott we know is an android.  Why do you think he has had androids front and center in EVERY SINGLE Alien film?  Duh!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2017, 05:31:10 PM »

If Ridley doesn't make them - I would choose Denis Villeneuve or James Cameron but JC wouldn't do 5 Alien sequels after making everyone's favourite Alien sequel ever plus he's busy.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2017, 02:07:47 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls