Author Topic: Alien: Covenant  (Read 24238 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Alien: Covenant
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2017, 06:55:26 PM »
prologue for covenant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkXgRlRao5I

wow, they made Franco the captain of the ship. Whatever I guess. Cool little feature, and cute little fake out with the choking.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2017, 07:59:25 PM »
Don't you DARE underestimate Franco's captaining abilities.

HE IS A SAINT.

But yeah that's funny. I'm excited to see how Franco and...that douchebag from Eastbound will either screw it up or make it so much better. I actually like Franco a good bit. But I really don't like what's-his-face at all. Ever. So I'm sure I'll enjoy his death scene very, very much.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2017, 08:54:55 PM »
Cool.  I wondered about the meaning of "Covenant" in the title.  Makes sense now.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2017, 09:21:26 PM »
I don't know if it's just me or not, but the trailer and this prologue have done absolutely nothing to get me excited about this movie. Like, at all. Say what you want about Prometheus, but man that trailer was fantastic. This... just tells me it's going to be another Alien movie which, I guess, is a thing that is happening.

I'll still see the movie because I'm a shill and I make poor decisions, but I'm not currently looking forward to it!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2017, 02:21:31 AM »
Regarding the idea to have Danny McBride/James Franco in a movie like this, I would argue that it kinda makes sense. Franco seems to play more of a straight role and McBride is more the comic relief (at least judging from what we've seen so far), and while comedy in a horror film might be weird for some people, I would argue that it makes me believe in the characters more. Because every group of people has that goofball who cracks jokes and lightens up the atmosphere. So it makes sense that someone on the ship is like that. I think people are stretching too far from a character making some jokes and McBride/Franco smoking it up and going "ooooh there's an alien" and being all high.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2017, 02:22:40 AM »
The "natural" acting seemed so fake and awkward.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2017, 03:13:18 AM »
^^^ yeah, I felt that way too.

Its like they were trying to replicate the actual natural chemistry on the nostromo in alien 1 and didn't quite get there.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2017, 05:43:34 AM »
The "natural" acting seemed so fake and awkward.

You nailed it. Hopefully the creature effects are good at least.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2017, 06:04:21 AM »
Regarding the idea to have Danny McBride/James Franco in a movie like this, I would argue that it kinda makes sense. Franco seems to play more of a straight role and McBride is more the comic relief (at least judging from what we've seen so far), and while comedy in a horror film might be weird for some people, I would argue that it makes me believe in the characters more. Because every group of people has that goofball who cracks jokes and lightens up the atmosphere. So it makes sense that someone on the ship is like that. I think people are stretching too far from a character making some jokes and McBride/Franco smoking it up and going "ooooh there's an alien" and being all high.

McBride has said that he's never had a role like this before....that it's not just a straight 'comic relief' role. As the clip shows, he still has that humorous feel but from his account this role is nothing like he's had before.

As far as Franco....I'm going to trust that Ridley Scott has cast these people very intentionally. The one actress has a very 'Ripley' feel....and the whole tone of that scene has a very ALIEN feel to it.

I actually liked the clip and am pretty excited for the movie....I think it's going to be good.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2017, 05:45:26 PM »
Pretty cool poster.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2017, 06:26:38 PM »
Definitely. Such an iconic image.....I can't imagine if ever get to close to anything that looked like that in real life  :lol

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2017, 08:08:09 PM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2017, 08:13:40 PM »
That trailer is sick  :metal     I'm really looking forward to this movie

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2017, 08:29:35 PM »
That really felt like a "Here's the entire movie" trailer.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2017, 08:57:25 PM »
Yeah.  I shouldn't've watched that.  Super spoilerific.

Online Adami

« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2017, 09:00:49 PM »
I'm actually less interested in the movie now. I basically know it beat by beat now and the fact that (maybe spoilers) the aliens look largely CGI doesn't inspire me much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2017, 09:05:51 PM »
I think it was trying to be a more "Hey it's not going to be another Prometheus" type of trailer

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2017, 10:25:42 PM »
Definitely a showcase but I don't think it's too spoiler-y (I mean, given that all of us are talking out our ass since no one has seen it and all); but the general feel was that there is probably more twists and more expansion of what we saw. So yeah, showcase-y, but I'll be surprised if that was all the action and turns.

Either way I myself am pretty darn excited for this. If anything, I'll enjoy the experience as I did Prometheus and forget about it, but I have small hopes that it'll be at least half (or a quarter...maybe?) as impactful as the first few Alien films. Okay, not as impactful but maybe set up something more and have the same general feel.

Ah fuck it, the glory days are over. MAYBE IT WON'T SUCK A DICK. :metal :corn

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2017, 03:19:19 AM »

Agreed. That trend in trailer design is getting old. A modern day trailer for Empire would probably be a black screen with breathing and the first thing we here is "no, I am your father"

But besides that, I didn't see any black goo at all, so that that's definitely a good sign. This looks like a proper alien movie, but of course I will proceed with cautious optimism.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 03:51:34 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2017, 04:11:47 AM »
Considering what you guys say I probably will stay away from that trailer either way. Man would I love if they would release a trailer showing only one scene like maybe 10 secs or something and then nothing at all. You have to see the movie or read reviews to know anything more about the movie. I just feel that keeping the mystery is important for a movie like Alien and more exciting if it turns out to be great.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2017, 04:49:07 AM »
Decent trailer. Will hopefully be at least better than Alien3 and Regurgitation...

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2017, 07:20:35 AM »
I just feel that keeping the mystery is important for a movie like Alien and more exciting if it turns out to be great.

Exactly.  The original Alien was much more a suspense/horror movie than a sci-fi or action movie.  I still prefer a little more mindfuck and a little less generic action with my sci-fi.  Hopefully there'll be at least one good twist that comes out of nowhere (but still works and is believable).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2017, 07:43:33 AM »
After Prometheus - Ridley said he was a bit embarrassed at the surgery scene and thought maybe it was a bit much...

...now he's saying that there's a scene in Covenant which is way worse :lol

I wonder if he just thought " Ah fuck it - there's not been a truly great Alien movie in decades - let's just go all out. "

Because before Prometheus - he was saying no more Xenomorphs because he's tired of them.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2017, 09:12:35 AM »
I just feel that keeping the mystery is important for a movie like Alien and more exciting if it turns out to be great.

Exactly.  The original Alien was much more a suspense/horror movie than a sci-fi or action movie.  I still prefer a little more mindfuck and a little less generic action with my sci-fi.  Hopefully there'll be at least one good twist that comes out of nowhere (but still works and is believable).

Yep. ALIEN was the definition of 'suspense thriller'. Such a good mix and great movie. I am optimistic that Covenant is going to be good. I don't think they'd have revealed anything in the trailer to spoil the whole movie. We shall see.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2017, 12:57:57 PM »

Agreed. That trend in trailer design is getting old.

I don't really get what you guys are talking about at all.  Anyway...

So, wait, I'm not getting from the trailer that there is any connection whatsoever with the end of Prometheus.  I thought this one was supposed to pick up right where Prometheus left off?  Maybe they intentionally left that obscured.  Excited that this is finally almost here!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2017, 01:10:20 PM »
So, wait, I'm not getting from the trailer that there is any connection whatsoever with the end of Prometheus.  I thought this one was supposed to pick up right where Prometheus left off?  Maybe they intentionally left that obscured.  Excited that this is finally almost here!

Pretty sure I saw the crescent-shaped engineer's ship in one of the shots.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2017, 01:18:36 PM »
Well, yes, but is it the same one?  And if so, what is it doing there?  They were supposed to be off to the Engineers' home world.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »
Well, yes, but is it the same one?  And if so, what is it doing there?  They were supposed to be off to the Engineers' home world.

One theory I read, which is only based off the trailer and thus may be completely false (likely) is that the chick and the head from Prometheus arrived at an engineer planet and rained down death and destruction on them, hence all the dead bodies. There's also a shot of what people think is chick lady from prometheus in the trailer looking all crazy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2017, 01:29:44 PM »
It's been confirmed that Elizabeth Shaw is in Alien Covenant but it may only be a recording.. Guess we'll find out.

Online Adami

« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2017, 01:31:03 PM »
Oddly enough, I think what upset me most was that so much of the Xenomorph scenes were cgi.

The practical aliens from Alien were just so god damn terrifying, in part because they were really there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2017, 01:34:28 PM »
I'm ok if it's for shots that you couldn't do with a guy in a suit.

I know Ridley does as much in camera as he can.

Meanwhile, Noomi Rapace reprises her role as Dr. Elizabeth Shaw, the archaeologist who was formerly a crew member of the destroyed Prometheus,[14] and Guy Pearce reprises his role as Peter Weyland, the billionaire founder and CEO of Weyland Corporation who died before the destruction of the Prometheus.[15]

So yeah - it may only be recordings of them...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »
How do you get that it is "only recordings" of her from that?

I'm not saying you are wrong.  I just don't know how you could get it from that snippet.

Online Adami

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2017, 01:37:10 PM »

I'm not saying you are wrong.  I just don't know how you could get it from that snippet.

He forgot to include what those footnotes are. Here you go.

[14] Only in recordings.
[15] ONLY IN GOD DAMN RECORDINGS!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2017, 01:37:42 PM »
Ah, that helps.  Still a bit of a stretch though if you ask me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2017, 01:38:34 PM »

Well Guy Pearce is playing Weyland again and he died in Prometheus so I assume it's either flashbacks or recordings for him at least...

I'm just guessing.