Author Topic: Alien: Covenant  (Read 24237 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Alien: Covenant
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2016, 09:16:37 PM »
That's a bad-ass poster but yea, I have my doubts after seeing Prometheus. Was more looking forward to Neill Blomkamps Alien movie.

I'm glad the guy hasn't been too affected by his actual career. I thought District 9 was a pretty good movie, but nothing amazing. Chappie was awful and I heard Elysium was pretty bad too. Guy's record isn't very good but people still seem to love him. Glad on him.
Yea his track record isn't that great, I really enjoyed District 9 and Elysium though but for the Alien project it was more him talking about it with such passion and seeing the concept art that made me interested in it and also the rumour of him bringing Ripley back.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2016, 01:15:17 AM »
Really cool poster. And I seem to be one of the few people who liked Prometheus, so I'm excited.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2016, 11:20:38 AM »
I liked Prometheus.  I didn't understand a lot of it the first time, or the second, but it made more sense after reading some online analysis and discussions.  I liked the aesthetic and just the "look and feel" of the movie, but I'm a sucker for most science fiction if they clearly take it seriously.  It can't just be a story set in the future, I want actual science fiction, where the stuff we don't know yet or haven't invented yet plays a part in the story.  Prometheus actually blurred the lines for me, which is good.  I couldn't follow a lot of what was going on, but wasn't sure if that was just me, the director, or if I wasn't really supposed to understand it until later when something else happened and it all made sense.  That never really happened, but I was still okay with it, because I'm such a sucker for science fiction.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2016, 12:27:29 PM »
I did love Prometheus. The look and feel and music and rising dread were all great.

The script was lousy though.

Shaw & The scottish woman carried the alien head back to prometheus then they asked David to lift the helmet off the head as " it's too heavy ".

So many silly little errors like that.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2016, 06:29:30 PM »
Re: poster. Sinister and evil looking alien, more like the original. Me like.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2016, 07:25:48 AM »
www.polygon.com/2016/12/23/14071074/alien-covenant-photos-clues

Director Ridley Scott previously said that Covenant would indirectly tie into the the 1979 film, and would answer important questions about the alien, like who made it and where it came from.

Interesting, since I haven't been following that closely do he mean this is set in the 70s or just that it ties with that movie?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2016, 08:35:31 AM »
Not sure how a film set many decades from now would be set in the 1970s.

He meant that part 3 of the new trilogy would set up the beginning of the 1979 Alien movie.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2016, 09:07:04 AM »
After prometheus, I am approaching with cautious optimism.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
Trailer tomorrow !

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2016, 10:50:23 PM »
Trailer tomorrow !

Holy cow! Trailer is intense!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2016, 11:02:48 PM »
Looks very Alien, though man is that trailer a bit heavy on the spoiler side of things.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2016, 11:28:51 PM »
Looks very Alien, though man is that trailer a bit heavy on the spoiler side of things.

I was thinking the same thing. Really revealing a bit there. I'm curious as to if that means there's much more to be seen or if they just want us to know this one is going to be as suspenseful and chilling as ALIEN?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2016, 11:52:18 PM »

This is why I never watch trailers.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2016, 01:08:30 AM »
Not watching the trailer, but just the fact that there is one is making me pumped for this movie!

Online Adami

« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2016, 02:27:53 AM »
I'm hoping that at least some of the trailer (the spoilery parts) is a bit of a misdirect. Mostly because I really love Billy Crudup as an actor, and I would hate it if his role was a throwaway or they literally gave away his fate already.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2016, 02:37:33 AM »
That looked pretty cool, i'm a bit more excited now.  :tup

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2016, 04:11:41 AM »
This new generation of spoilerish trailers can fuck right off. It wasn't Terminator Genisys level of spoilers, but still. I was too excited not to check out a first trailer, but I am holding off on watching more.

But anyway. It definitely looks like a step in the right direction.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2016, 04:52:51 AM »
Yeah it did look a bit too spoilery. Not giving away which character (for those who didn't see the trailer), but I feel like it's a big mistake to show an egg opening and the facehugger flying towards someone's face because in this franchise, that's 99% guaranteed death sentence. Who knows, maybe there is a last minute "block" (like in Aliens) or they have medical equipment on board to get it off, but yeah.. showing that sequence is more spoilery than showing the actual alien moving around IMO.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2016, 05:12:37 AM »
It's so weird because with Prometheus - Ridley said he was "done" with Xenomorphs and facehuggers. He said he was sick of them...

Also he said he was embarrassed by the surgery scene in Prometheus and thought it was too graphic.

Now he's done a total 180 and says there's scenes in Alien Covenant which make Prometheus' surgery scene look tame and it's full of Xenos, Facehuggers and Chestbursters and new aliens..

Wonder if he read Blomkamp's script and thought "Ah Fuck it". Or if he just wanted to make a GOOD Alien film while he's still around...

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2016, 05:57:03 AM »
I gotta say, I still find it fascinating that characters stick their head down towards the mysterious alien egg that just opened up. Sure, you don't know what to expect, but wouldn't you rather take the safe approach and step back a bit? Because even if the characters stepped back a few steps, we know that the facehugger can leap quite the distance any way, and I feel like the "facehugger attaching itself"-scene (which is obligatory in any alien movie) would be more effective if the character who got it was a few steps away, rather than adding that dumb element of "duh what is in this egg?" and them going overly close to investigate.  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2016, 06:23:31 AM »
I just hope that this one is comprehensible

After seeing prometheus twice, I literally had NO clue why anything was happening. Its like the rules of the game were changing every couple mins and I couldn't follow any of it.

And even after reading a bunch of extra stuff and watching explanation videos, I still don't really get it. I truly hate Prometheus. 

I am very happy that lindelof has nothing to do with Covenant.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 07:06:01 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2016, 06:53:02 AM »
That trailer definitely hardens back to the spirit and atmosphere of the original. Psyched!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2016, 12:09:19 PM »
That looks fucking awesome! Definitely excited for this one.

I'll echo that it does show a little more than what I'd normally like, but I feel like calling it "spoilers" is a bit dramatic. I thought it was a good trailer, there's definitely loads and loads that have done way worse.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2016, 03:12:21 PM »

I'll echo that it does show a little more than what I'd normally like, but I feel like calling it "spoilers" is a bit dramatic. I thought it was a good trailer, there's definitely loads and loads that have done way worse.

Like the trailer for Terminator 5 giving away that John Connor was a Terminator.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2016, 06:31:51 PM »
In general I like James Franco, but he seems like he would be out of place in an Alien film. I will give him the benefit of the doubt though.

Also, that full bodied david that we are seeing, I think is just a different model and that we will probably see the head of prometheus david later in the film
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 06:39:56 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online Adami

« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2016, 06:33:19 PM »

Oh yes, definitely. However, I don't give things a pass just because others did it worse.

Maybe it's because I'm a big fan of the actor in question. Maybe if it was a random unknown then it wouldn't bother me as much. It's also an Alien film, and pretty obvious that 90% of the cast, at least, will die. I dunno, just didn't feel right to me, despite all that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2016, 06:45:07 PM »
I don't know about others but I'd pay to see Franco die.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2016, 06:51:05 PM »
In general I like James Franco, but he seems like he would be out of place in an Alien film. I will give him the benefit of the doubt though.

It's weird that 2/3 of the leads of Pineapple Express is in this movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2016, 07:42:23 PM »

Oh yes, definitely. However, I don't give things a pass just because others did it worse.

Maybe it's because I'm a big fan of the actor in question. Maybe if it was a random unknown then it wouldn't bother me as much. It's also an Alien film, and pretty obvious that 90% of the cast, at least, will die. I dunno, just didn't feel right to me, despite all that.

True enough! Definitely not downplaying that it could've been a much better trailer with more caution.

Also holy shit

It's weird that 2/3 of the leads of Pineapple Express is in this movie.

:rollin :rollin Didn't even realize this. That's awesome.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2016, 10:24:31 AM »
I really liked Prometheus, so I'm excited for this. I hope that it's good (won't watch the trailer if it has everyone screaming spoiler), but the poster looks awesome, so that has me excited.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2016, 10:26:09 AM »
I loved Prometheus. It just got old quickly though.

Visually it was incredible. The Martian was better I think as it was based on a novel...

If Alien Covenant is at least as good visually as Prometheus - explains some of the questions AND has a decent script - Job Done :tup

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2017, 05:11:50 AM »
Prometheus wasn't a bad movie. It just had some pacing and scripting issues, but overall enjoyable and atmospheric.

There just can't be enough Alien movies.
My personal low point was 3, while, I guess, most folks would put 4 in that place. I still consider A1 one of the most suspensful movies ever made.
I remember seeing the posters in the streets of my town as a 9 year old kid and being totally fascinated, without even thinking of having a chance to see the movie. Seeing it a few years later, it still scared the the living daylights out of me (9/10).
A2 was a relentless action inferno (8/10). A3 a letdown (5/10). A4 an improvement (6/10).
Prometheus (7/10).

Anyway if A:C is at least as good (but I have the feeling, I'm going to like it more) as Prometheus, I'll be satisfied.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2017, 06:24:37 AM »
My main gripes with Alien Res were almost every single character was just pure machismo.

Everyone said FUCK like it was going out of fashion and set pieces were just to look COOL

instead of any actual drama.

And it was too brightly lit.

4/10

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2017, 06:50:27 AM »
Prometheus wasn't a bad movie. It just had some pacing and scripting issues, but overall enjoyable and atmospheric.

There just can't be enough Alien movies.
My personal low point was 3, while, I guess, most folks would put 4 in that place. I still consider A1 one of the most suspensful movies ever made.
I remember seeing the posters in the streets of my town as a 9 year old kid and being totally fascinated, without even thinking of having a chance to see the movie. Seeing it a few years later, it still scared the the living daylights out of me (9/10).
A2 was a relentless action inferno (8/10). A3 a letdown (5/10). A4 an improvement (6/10).
Prometheus (7/10).

Anyway if A:C is at least as good (but I have the feeling, I'm going to like it more) as Prometheus, I'll be satisfied.

If you are grading Alien 3 of the theatrical cut then i'd highly recommend seeking out the directors cut (or assembly cut as it's called).  It completely changes the film as well as adding 30 minutes, it changes a lot of scenes.   It's a much, much better film.

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2017, 07:26:41 AM »
30 minutes is a quite a lot. Worth a try. Thanks for the recommendation.