Author Topic: Alien: Covenant  (Read 24240 times)

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
Alien: Covenant
« on: November 27, 2015, 05:59:46 PM »
What are your thoughts on this? Considering the bad reception of Prometheus but that they have new writers? Will it further damage the franchise?
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline jammindude

Re: Alien: Covenant
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 07:57:04 PM »
 I would not say that the reception was bad. The reception may have been a bit more lukewarm than people expected, but I just recently saw it and thought it was far better than the reviews led me to believe.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 08:06:20 PM »
I would not say that the reception was bad. The reception may have been a bit more lukewarm than people expected, but I just recently saw it and thought it was far better than the reviews led me to believe.

I thought it was alright myself, I liked that it was a little more CREATIVE  with the story then most of the Alien movies prior. But as a prequel it was meant to answer a lot more than it did and instead gave us lots of  questions.

Hehe, I'm subscribed to you on YouTube. Cool seeing you on DTF  :lol
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 08:09:45 PM »
Thanks!  :tup
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 11:00:40 PM »
I'm looking forward to it. I liked Prometheus and the Alien franchise up to Alien 3.....anything after that I kind of was just like ....ehhh....

But, I'm interested to see the story Scott is going to tell but very concerned that he will kick the bucket before he can write/film the three movies he has planned that lead into the original ALIEN.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 11:22:49 PM »
I'm interested as to how they expand the Alien franchise, like how far they go with it. Because with Prometheus we got the engineers (as characters kinda) and Covenant is meant to cover their homeworld..
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 12:18:08 AM »
Was more looking forward to Neill Blomkamps Alien but that  dosen't seem to happen anytime soon, if at all. Was probably put on hold because Scotts movies. Hopefully he has a better script and characters for this movie than Prometheus.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 12:28:11 AM »
Was more looking forward to Neill Blomkamps Alien but that  dosen't seem to happen anytime soon, if at all. Was probably put on hold because Scotts movies. Hopefully he has a better script and characters for this movie than Prometheus.

Fucking sucks, I hope he doesn't loose the movie all together  ???
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 01:42:19 AM »
I liked Prometheus quite a bit and am very much looking forward to Alien Covenant.

I thought it was alright myself, I liked that it was a little more CREATIVE  with the story then most of the Alien movies prior. But as a prequel it was meant to answer a lot more than it did and instead gave us lots of  questions.

I don't really see Prometheus as a prequel, more of a spin-off since it really has nothing to do with anything in the first Alien movie. I think many people expected a straight up prequel though, which I guess disappointed them.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 11:30:17 AM »
According to Variety, Noomi Rapace is back for Alien: Covenant.

For many, this is good news.  I'm rather indifferent, since for me the story was so disjointed that it almost didn't matter.  The picture accompanying the article, however, has got to be one of the worst photoshops I've ever seen in a movie ad.

I don't really see Prometheus as a prequel, more of a spin-off since it really has nothing to do with anything in the first Alien movie. I think many people expected a straight up prequel though, which I guess disappointed them.

I can't agree.  It seemed pretty clear to me that "the engineers" (as they've been dubbed) were working with biotech and genetech which ultimately will lead to the xenomorph we know and love, a.k.a. "the alien".  There were references throughout the movie.

The article says that this will be a trilogy, so apparently Alien: Covenant will take us a step or two closer, then whatever the third movie is will lead directly to the events in the original Alien.  (The article stops short of referring to the new films as a "prequel trilogy" -- even though that's what it will be -- presumably to avoid negative associations with the Star Wars prequel trilogy.)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 01:36:30 PM »
Looking forward to it.  I am completely lost as to what films are being done and how they relate, as the information that has been released seems to be a convoluted mess (and I have not been following it all that closely).  But if it is as good as Prometheus and don't have Wile E. Coyote gags, I will likely enjoy it. 

I'm rather indifferent, since for me the story was so disjointed that it almost didn't matter. 
Wait, what?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 01:40:40 PM »
I think I fell asleep all 3 times I attempted to watch Prometheus and I thought it was supposed to be good, especially for a fan of the Alien movies.  I can't say I have any hopes for anything at this point with the franchise.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 01:41:10 PM »
Don't tell me you could follow that plot. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 01:47:54 PM »
If he fell asleep, I doubt he could follow it much.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 01:48:18 PM »

I can't agree.  It seemed pretty clear to me that "the engineers" (as they've been dubbed) were working with biotech and genetech which ultimately will lead to the xenomorph we know and love, a.k.a. "the alien".  There were references throughout the movie.

Well, Prometheus takes place like a few decades before Alien. And in the original Alien movie they say that the corpse of the engineer is "fossilised", meaning at least thousands of years. So as Prometheus is happening, that ship is already crashed and dead for a long long time, which would also mean that the existance of the xenomorph is way way older than Prometheus.

This is how I see it at least, meaning that there is no way that this new trilogy would lead directly into the original. At least not from that angle. They could still tie it into the first one from earth's point of view and maybe end it with the Nostromo setting out on its voyage. But the creation of the xenomorph is old news even by the time Prometheus happens.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 01:49:56 PM »
I'm rather indifferent, since for me the story was so disjointed that it almost didn't matter. 
Wait, what?  ???

I couldn't figure out what was going on most of the time.  There was the opening thing, there were the guys exploring the planet with the croissant ship just like the one in the original Alien, there was obviously a lot of shit going on indicative of the biotech development (/experiments?), but I mostly was watching and figuring it'll all make sense at some point, and it never really did.  I only watched it twice, though.  I figure if it takes more than two viewings to understand a movie, that's a shortcoming of the movie, not me.

So some people are saying it doesn't make sense that Noomi's character would be back, because they were assuming that we'd jump ahead in the timeline or something, while I thought it was pretty obvious at the end of Prometheus that we're going to pick things up pretty much from there.  But it doesn't really matter to me.  If I can't follow the plot, I can at least enjoy the visual spectacle.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 01:51:38 PM »
Well, Prometheus takes place like a few decades before Alien. And in the original Alien movie they say that the corpse of the engineer is "fossilised", meaning at least thousands of years. So as Prometheus is happening, that ship is already crashed and dead for a long long time, which would also mean that the existance of the xenomorph is way way older than Prometheus.

I completely missed that point.  You're right; the timelines don't make sense for it to be a prequel.  Just "more story" set in the same universe, or something.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 01:52:45 PM »

Well, Prometheus takes place like a few decades before Alien. And in the original Alien movie they say that the corpse of the engineer is "fossilised",

that line was "seems fossilised". That's assuming fossilization works the same way on an Alien planet countless light years away with a different atmosphere. The scene where Cain goes down to the 'egg' pit there are literally dozens upon dozens of those pits in the shot but the pit he landed in was the last one with 'power' or that protective field on. So, that ship had been there a bit....and was on it's last leg of power or whatever to preserve those eggs.....but I doubt it was hundreds or thousands of years. More like a decade or so.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 01:54:10 PM »

I completely missed that point.  You're right; the timelines don't make sense for it to be a prequel.  Just "more story" set in the same universe, or something.
Isn't that how the director described it?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 01:54:50 PM »
If he fell asleep, I doubt he could follow it much.

That was in reply to your wait what.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 01:55:30 PM »

Well, Prometheus takes place like a few decades before Alien. And in the original Alien movie they say that the corpse of the engineer is "fossilised",

that line was "seems fossilised". That's assuming fossilization works the same way on an Alien planet countless light years away with a different atmosphere. The scene where Cain goes down to the 'egg' pit there are literally dozens upon dozens of those pits in the shot but the pit he landed in was the last one with 'power' or that protective field on. So, that ship had been there a bit....and was on it's last leg of power or whatever to preserve those eggs.....but I doubt it was hundreds or thousands of years. More like a decade or so.

I don't know. Fossilisation might work a bit differently in different environments, but that differently? I find it unlikely.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 02:01:16 PM »

This is how I see it at least, meaning that there is no way that this new trilogy would lead directly into the original. At least not from that angle. They could still tie it into the first one from earth's point of view and maybe end it with the Nostromo setting out on its voyage. But the creation of the xenomorph is old news even by the time Prometheus happens.

Okay, but why is any of that an issue?  I'm not seeing the problem.

Wait, what?  ???

I couldn't figure out what was going on most of the time.  There was the opening thing, there were the guys exploring the planet with the croissant ship just like the one in the original Alien, there was obviously a lot of shit going on indicative of the biotech development (/experiments?), but I mostly was watching and figuring it'll all make sense at some point, and it never really did.  I only watched it twice, though.  I figure if it takes more than two viewings to understand a movie, that's a shortcoming of the movie, not me.

So some people are saying it doesn't make sense that Noomi's character would be back, because they were assuming that we'd jump ahead in the timeline or something, while I thought it was pretty obvious at the end of Prometheus that we're going to pick things up pretty much from there.  But it doesn't really matter to me.  If I can't follow the plot, I can at least enjoy the visual spectacle.

Really?  I didn't think it was that difficult.  "Engineers" have created a means of terraforming planets and, as you put it, experimenting with biotech and genetech to "create" life on those worlds, and there is an implication that that is how life on earth began.  At least two different "factions" on earth are interested when it is discovered that they exist and that they have left sort of a "map" to where they are:  Shaw's "faction," which is thrilled from the perspective of how cool a scientific discovery it is that "we are not alone"; and Weyland's "faction" that wants to exploit their technology.  They journey to this faraway world where a sinister scene of events unfolds, namely, the Engineers' technology is essentially a weapon and what they find is essentially a bunker; the "weapon" sort of got out of control; the Engineers are not happy with mankind's basic selfish philosophy and want to wipe us out; everyone except Shaw dies in the unfolding of events, and she wants to go to the homeworld to try to find answers and stop them from destroying humanity. 

Is it really that complicated?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 02:04:38 PM »
Okay, but why is any of that an issue?  I'm not seeing the problem.

There isn't one, really. Just clearing stuff up I guess.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 02:54:06 PM »
Really?  I didn't think it was that difficult.  "Engineers" have created a means of terraforming planets and, as you put it, experimenting with biotech and genetech to "create" life on those worlds, and there is an implication that that is how life on earth began.  At least two different "factions" on earth are interested when it is discovered that they exist and that they have left sort of a "map" to where they are:  Shaw's "faction," which is thrilled from the perspective of how cool a scientific discovery it is that "we are not alone"; and Weyland's "faction" that wants to exploit their technology.  They journey to this faraway world where a sinister scene of events unfolds, namely, the Engineers' technology is essentially a weapon and what they find is essentially a bunker; the "weapon" sort of got out of control; the Engineers are not happy with mankind's basic selfish philosophy and want to wipe us out; everyone except Shaw dies in the unfolding of events, and she wants to go to the homeworld to try to find answers and stop them from destroying humanity. 

I've gotta admit, that's the way I see it as well.  And I've only seen it once, and didn't really find it convoluted.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 03:00:46 PM »
Oh, and most importantly:  There is an intervening Wile E. Coyote moment of a large falling thing, and Charlize Theron momentarily forgets that running in any direction other than straight ahead is an option and gets crushed by said large falling thing.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2016, 05:11:45 PM »

I've gotta admit, that's the way I see it as well.  And I've only seen it once, and didn't really find it convoluted.

Okay, that all makes sense, and fits with what I could follow of the movie.  Online, it seemed the vast majority of viewers couldn't follow what was going on, so I didn't feel so bad.  I like to think of myself as smarter than the average moviegoer, but at least I wasn't alone.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 05:12:44 PM »
Oh, and most importantly:  There is an intervening Wile E. Coyote moment of a large falling thing, and Charlize Theron momentarily forgets that running in any direction other than straight ahead is an option and gets crushed by said large falling thing.

Because they were also running from falling Prometheus debris.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2016, 05:10:29 PM »

MAY 19

:2metal:   FK YH IM READY

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2016, 05:20:11 PM »
That's a poster I can get behind  :tup

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2016, 06:22:41 PM »
This is all I needed get to excited for this flick!!!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2016, 06:38:40 PM »
I don't have high hopes after Prometheus and since one of this movie's writers wrote Green Lantern.

That said, that's an amazing poster.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2016, 07:01:58 PM »
Cautiously Optimistic for this. I liked Prometheus so I'm hoping for the best for This.

Online faizoff

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2016, 07:28:25 PM »
I don't have high hopes after Prometheus and since one of this movie's writers wrote Green Lantern.

That said, that's an amazing poster.
IMDB lists 3 screenwriters and two of them seem to say they have re-written the screenplay so I'm not sure what the deal is. This harks back to the prometheus writing where they had 2 writers, one re-writing and improving the others writing. That poster is definitely badass.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2016, 09:08:24 PM »
That's a bad-ass poster but yea, I have my doubts after seeing Prometheus. Was more looking forward to Neill Blomkamps Alien movie.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2016, 09:10:01 PM »
That's a bad-ass poster but yea, I have my doubts after seeing Prometheus. Was more looking forward to Neill Blomkamps Alien movie.

I'm glad the guy hasn't been too affected by his actual career. I thought District 9 was a pretty good movie, but nothing amazing. Chappie was awful and I heard Elysium was pretty bad too. Guy's record isn't very good but people still seem to love him. Glad on him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com