Author Topic: Alien: Covenant  (Read 24435 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Alien: Covenant
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2017, 02:22:54 PM »
Even though the trailers have done nothing for me, god damn do they know how to make stunning posters.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2017, 03:11:09 PM »
Uhh yeah that's fucking incredible. Giger was a genius.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2017, 04:48:45 PM »
Now that's a poster I can get behind

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2017, 05:36:30 PM »
Now that's a poster I can get behind

That'd be awesome just to have like a wall carved out with that on it in your home....maybe in a home theater setting. So cool, reminds me of that wall in 'Devils Advocate' that Al Pacino had in his Penthouse.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2017, 05:38:36 PM »
Two months to go.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2017, 02:01:04 PM »
Been thinking about a theory that is out there and doing a bit of theorizing on the subject myself concerning "who created the xenomorphs."  Since this is mostly just fan speculation, it may not need a "spoiler" tag.  But there have been a few reveals from Scott that are built into the argument, so...

*********SPOILER ALERT*************

So, although Scott's exact words on the subject are a bit cryptic and hard to follow, he seemed to say that, contrary to what almost everyone thought after Prometheus, the Engineers did NOT create the xenomorphs, but we will learn who/what did.  Without getting into the specifics of how, the theory among most is that David created them.  This seems to be supported by the clips, interviews, and other information drops that have happened so far.  Newer info has most people that I have seen comment on the subject further speculating that Shaw is dead and that David's actions in killing the Engineers, experimenting and creating the xenos, and likely killing Shaw.  This also seems to be supported.  ...or maybe not.  Perhaps the info that has been released so far hasn't actually gone so far and revealed a bit too much after all, but was instead carefully crafted to lead us astray.  So let me propose a slight variation.

Here's what I think happened:  Shaw was behind or involved in it all and David didn't necessarily "rebel" at all.  Why do I think that?  At the end of Prometheus, she finally understands that the Engineers are out to destroy humanity, and she wants to stop them at all costs.  That's her motivation.  That's her goal.  She manages to convince Janek of this, which is why he rams the Engineer ship and causes it to crash.  She then takes off to the Engineer world (or at least, one of them).  What was she going to go there to do?  To stop them, of course.  How would she do it?  She would need a weapon.  And she and David had a ship full of the ingredients to build such a weapon.  We know this.  And we know, from the clip screening of Covenant, that David does indeed unleash something and kill the Engineers on "Paradise."  To me, it seems obvious that Shaw was thus behind and involved with the xenocide of the Engineers and the creation of the xenomorphs, even if David may have done a lot of the scientific dirty work for her.  Now, I'm not sure that ultimately changes much.  But it's just interesting to me that folks all around the Internet seem almost unanimous in their assumption that David rebelled and created this evil and likely experimented on and killed poor ole' Shaw in the process.  I think that's too simplistic and that we are going to get a surprise variation on all that, such as her perhaps voluntarily giving herself up for experimentation, or her being alive and pulling David's strings, or something else.  We'll know soon enough, but just wanted to throw this out there.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: April 10, 2017, 02:24:24 PM »
Certainly a plausible theory and one I could get behind and like. She has to know her life is basically over so make good use of it and stop them at all costs. Can't wait to see.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2017, 02:00:00 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2017, 05:21:00 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2017, 02:30:50 PM »
Yeah, not sure what was up with that.  But they are out there.  Here's a link for a new TV spot:  https://www.blastr.com/2017-4-24-alien-covenant-ridley-scott-tv-spot  It reveals a bit more that could be considered spoilerish. If you've been following along with the stuff that is widely out there already, then the scenes that are expanded upon aren't completely "new."  But, for example, there is a scene of David doing something that was hinted at before and shown in a still image, but now we get to actually see it, if only for a fraction of a second.  But I won't say more without a spoiler tag...

*******************MILD POTENTIAL SPOILERS BELOW******************

-Spore release/ear canal invasion scene:  Looks like they beefed up the CGI a bit more on this scene from what was revealed in earlier trailers.  Not strictly necessary, but certainly does enhance the visual effect and creepiness. 

-Black goo bombing and Engineers fleeing at :20-:21:  I have mixed feelings about this.  On one hand, I would prefer that this had not been revealed yet.  It would have been better to learn the fate of the Engineers for the first time while seeing the movie.  On the other hand, it looks FRIGGIN' COOL!  And it has me super excited.  And it does give us something to talk about.  That shot obviously emphasizes David.  Shaw is nowhere to be seen.  But she has to be behind the attack.  She just has to be.  I'm willing to bet she is in that scene, but that it is edited to leave her completely out so that we don't know she is there. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2017, 02:50:37 PM »
That is one cool ass images. I can't wait to see that scene  :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: April 26, 2017, 02:43:06 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5gxApaRczQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMVrnYNwus  ***

More sneaky peeks.

It looks like a fair bit of Prometheus will be featured / explained in Alien : Covenant.

*** Some of those shots.... Ridley knows how to compose a scene. If this movie sucks - at least - like Prometheus - It will be visually stunning.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:51:20 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #152 on: April 26, 2017, 03:52:29 PM »
^^^ That is so cool. The release date can't come fast enough

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #153 on: April 26, 2017, 05:30:59 PM »
Wow, that second one is cool.  Pretty spoilerific, and VERY strongly hints at the correctness of what I hypothesized in my earlier posts.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: April 26, 2017, 05:33:00 PM »
^^^ That is so cool. The release date can't come fast enough

Yep. Its hard not to believe this movie is going to be awesome.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2017, 01:34:30 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2017, 01:38:47 PM »
i'd accept any hug at all

:emo:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2017, 03:57:31 PM »
Ridley Scott has said that Blomkamp's Alien 5 will never happen.

It never even got to the script stage and that FOX have no intention of making it.

Only one week to go til Covenant is out ! Getting excited ! :D

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: May 03, 2017, 04:08:01 PM »
Ridley Scott has said that Blomkamp's Alien 5 will never happen.

It never even got to the script stage and that FOX have no intention of making it.

Yeah I read that, bummer. That 'universe' went off course with Alien 3 and never recovered IMO....but that whole subject has been covered a ton here.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #159 on: May 03, 2017, 04:11:24 PM »
That 'universe' went off course with Alien 3 and never recovered IMO....
Yeah.  Bummer, too, because every single one of those films had some great ideas, IMO.  They just kinda got goofy and went too far in various directions that didn't really serve the original.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: May 03, 2017, 04:19:34 PM »
I agree with whoever said that Each Alien sequel was just the first film again but by a different director.

Kinda true.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2017, 05:53:24 PM »
That 'universe' went off course with Alien 3 and never recovered IMO....
Yeah.  Bummer, too, because every single one of those films had some great ideas, IMO.  They just kinda got goofy and went too far in various directions that didn't really serve the original.

It would have been nice to see a more thought out game plan ala what Scott is currently doing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: May 04, 2017, 04:27:05 AM »
I really hope that Covenant is the first of 3 and not FIVE.

There are xenomorphs in Covenant and some doughnut ships lying about. .

Why would you need 4 more films to explain that a xeno got on a doughnut ship

and it crashed on LV 426 ??

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #163 on: May 04, 2017, 10:54:19 AM »
I really hope that Covenant is the first of 3 and not FIVE.

There are xenomorphs in Covenant and some doughnut ships lying about. .

Why would you need 4 more films to explain that a xeno got on a doughnut ship

and it crashed on LV 426 ??

Peter Jackson is producer of the films.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: May 04, 2017, 12:05:51 PM »
Bought my ticket today. I'm going Sunday and I have to drive my bike so I hope it's a nice day.

VIP seating :coolio Biggest screen in the multiplex.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #165 on: May 05, 2017, 01:39:41 AM »
I'm struggling to get excited for this.  I love the first 3 Alien movies, but they were 25+ years ago and everything 'Alien' since has been awful.  I haven't watched Prometheus since the cinema and it was terrible, and I feel I should re watch it before Covenant isn't helping my motivation.  I'm also not really a fan of Ridley Scott - Alien, Gladiator and The Martian are about the only films of his I enjoy.  (I've have been more on board if it was Fincher or Cameron)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: May 05, 2017, 06:07:59 AM »
I'm in the same boat. Love the first three Alien movies but didn't care for anything up too Prometheus. Was excited for that movie but it was pretty bad mostly because of terribly written characters.
I really wan't this new movie to be great but I have my doubts.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #167 on: May 05, 2017, 01:23:36 PM »
"Four meters above you..."   :eek

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: May 05, 2017, 03:14:28 PM »
MAY AS WELL...

1. Alien. Will never be beaten
2. Aliens. Nearly as good but less suspense and more action.
3. Prometheus. YEAH I SAID IT. In my view the best Alien sequel after the first two. Bad script and character motivation but everything else is win.
4. Alien3. Not bad but Not Good. The mattes look really bad now and it's overall quite dull. I don't blame Fincher though. First time director with heavy studio interference.
5. Alien V Predator. I hate Resurrection and this one edge it out just for being way less cheesy and macho.

6. Alien Resurrection. Hate it. Way too nineties and Hollywood and Macho. Dialogue is :facepalm:

I expect Covenant to be at least as good as Prometheus with a better script - or it will be better all around. :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #169 on: May 05, 2017, 03:31:36 PM »
Yeah, I agree with that, actually.  Except maybe "Way too nineties and Hollywood and Macho."  I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that in this context.  But then again, it's been a long time since I've seen it (saw it once, and never again--don't intend to see it again either).  But the ONE cool thing it had going for it was the way in which the aliens broke out of "alien jail."  That was awesome and chilling. 

You didn't list Requiem.  Did you forget, or did you not see it?  I would definitely put it in the bottom 3, but I'm not sure where.  I think I saw AvP twice, but it's been awhile.  I only saw Requiem once.  It similarly had some really cool moments ("Why do grown-ups tell you there are not monsters?" [nice call-back to Newt's similar statement to Ripley in Aliens]; Alien jumps through the window and attacks Tim; swimming pool scene).  And just the thought of Aliens getting loose on present-day earth...this is the nightmare we all dreaded from the moment we first saw Alien.  But by the same token, that made all this movie's low, LOW points even more disappointing. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: May 05, 2017, 03:40:18 PM »
Not seen AVP:R and i've no intention of seeing it :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #171 on: May 05, 2017, 03:44:19 PM »
Why not?  Just because you heard it's bad, or some other reasons?  I would agree that it is bad.  But it has enough really cool scenes that I think it is worth it to see it once.  Now if there are other reasons, such as having heard about the maternity ward scene and not wanting to have to actually see it, I get that.  Just curious.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: May 05, 2017, 03:44:59 PM »
Yeah, I agree with that, actually.  Except maybe "Way too nineties and Hollywood and Macho."  I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that in this context. 

Too brightly lit.  Every character is a testosterone filled 'bad-ass' who swears in every sentence. Even Winona Ryder. It's just awful. And so far removed from Ridley's slow burning masterpiece.

And yeah - AVP:R - heard it's awful from pretty much everyone.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #173 on: May 05, 2017, 03:52:09 PM »
Oddly enough AVP:R is a slight improvement over AVP.  Still pretty awful, though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #174 on: May 05, 2017, 04:08:42 PM »
Depends on how you look at it.  AVP was pretty consistently subpar throughout.  AVP:R's highs were a lot higher, but its lows were a lot lower too.