Author Topic: The Dirt - Motley Crue - Netflix  (Read 2558 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
The Dirt - Motley Crue - Netflix
« on: March 23, 2019, 11:56:43 AM »
WOW, this was REALLY well done.
I think it's one of my favorites doc already.
Have any of you wathced this?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Dirt - Motley Crue - Netflix
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 11:59:06 AM »
Halfway through it right now.

This is.......SOOOOOOOO..........amazingly.........horrible. Just bad on every single possible level. Terrible. I keep hoping it will get even worse, and it keeps delivering. Oh man.

I'm literally sending Bout To Crash random clips of how awful this movie is.

I can't tell if this movie is trying to be awful or not. I know it's not taking itself very seriously, as evidenced by Ramsey Bolton disagreeing with the facts of the movie mid movie, but this is just shockingly bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 12:17:40 PM »
Really? I like it a lot! To each his own I guest

Offline Adami

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 12:46:35 PM »
Just finished it.

Yea....awful. I guess they answered my question as to whether they wanted it to be terrible when they did the daughter with cancer thing, but honestly I almost laughed during that scene at how god awful the whole thing was.

I dunno dude. Maybe we watched different movies? I saw almost nothing redeemable what I saw. Yet I went on Blabbermouth and a lot of people there say they really loved it. I dunno. I'm not a huge Crue fan so I was just watching it as a movie. As a movie....it's poorly done. Maybe I'd look past that if I was a giant Crue fan? I dunno.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 04:10:40 PM »
Can’t figure out if I want to see this movie or not. MC are like the Kardashian’s of metal. The only reason they are popular is because they keep saying so, and then the media keeps covering them.

Only GNR has a larger gap of high popularity to low level of high quality output. GNR has 1 amazing album and 2 really good albums. MC has 2 great albums (SATD and DF), and 3 “spotty but ok” albums (TFFL, TOP, GGG) and then a few more albums no one cares about.

Why is this band relevant?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 04:36:15 AM »
MinistroRaven and Adami: Out of curiosity did any of you read the book?

Have been very cautious about being excited for this movie since I first heard about the film adaption. In my mind it seemed impossible to make a script that would capture the book and make it justice and i'm talking about the "dirt" and decadence in the book because that's what made the book so captivating.

Edit: I meant the book being captivating not the movie.  :P

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 12:27:50 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Adami

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 08:22:35 AM »
Never read the book. No desire to.

Like I said, not a huge Crue fan. I have the big hit songs, and that's about it. Just thought the movie looked silly and wanted to give it a shot.

So I judged it solely as a film. And as a film, I thought it was very very very very bad. The directing is poor. The writing is awful. The acting is awful (with a few minor exceptions like the child version of Nikki Sixx and some moments with Mick Mars), the tone was all over the place, the narrative was poor etc.

If you love the music, then I don't see what this music has to offer. It's mostly about their personal dramas. There's virtually no scenes of them making music.

Also there's no.......point.....to the movie, if that makes sense. I wasn't sure what the message was. The only person who seemed to learn anything was Nikki Sixx who learned to be sober. That's about it. There's no real growth or point to the rest of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 08:56:38 AM »
Adami, we you expecting anything else?  I went in knowing it would be cheese and I enjoyed the cheese.  I didn't expect artistic integrity here.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 08:58:32 AM »
Adami, we you expecting anything else?  I went in knowing it would be cheese and I enjoyed the cheese.  I didn't expect artistic integrity here.

I enjoyed how bad it was. I went in with low expectations. But I always, no matter what, expect it to be well written and well directed and well acted. Even if it's trying to be dumb, I expect it to be done well. Hobbs and Shaw looks dumb as well, but it also looks like that's a very specific direction they are going. So I am expecting a well written, well directed, well acted dumb movie.

This wasn't. Sorry. I can't excuse bad writing, bad directing, bad acting, etc just because I expect it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 09:04:29 AM »
Idk, from the trailers I expected it to be poorly written.  The wife and I giggled at it.  It reminded me of a low budget, made for TV doc.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Adami

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 09:06:55 AM »
Indeed! We're probably on the same page.

I'm just saying it was bad. I mean, did you watch it and think it was well directed, well acted, and well written? Or were you just entertained despite it being a really bad movie?

I was definitely entertained by how awful it was. But that doesn't make it less awful.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 09:30:06 AM »
No it was poorly directed, written and acted but I was ready for some cheese and enjoyed it. Lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 10:46:14 AM »
Other than how the actors don't look much like the guys (in my opinion), I thought the trailer looked good. I was psyched cause this has been in the works for many years. I guess it's not worth renewing my Netflix though, is it? (That's essentially the cost of a movie ticket, to renew and watch this)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 10:47:30 AM »
No it was poorly directed, written and acted but I was ready for some cheese and enjoyed it. Lol

I can say I was entertained, much in the same way people who go see The Room are entertained, but I can't say I enjoyed it.

Glad other people are though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 12:12:21 PM »
Thought about watching it yesterday but decided to do some more GoT prepping. Thanks for taking the bullet for us Adami!!!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 12:50:20 PM »
Never read the book. No desire to.

Like I said, not a huge Crue fan. I have the big hit songs, and that's about it. Just thought the movie looked silly and wanted to give it a shot.

So I judged it solely as a film. And as a film, I thought it was very very very very bad. The directing is poor. The writing is awful. The acting is awful (with a few minor exceptions like the child version of Nikki Sixx and some moments with Mick Mars), the tone was all over the place, the narrative was poor etc.

If you love the music, then I don't see what this music has to offer. It's mostly about their personal dramas. There's virtually no scenes of them making music.

Also there's no.......point.....to the movie, if that makes sense. I wasn't sure what the message was. The only person who seemed to learn anything was Nikki Sixx who learned to be sober. That's about it. There's no real growth or point to the rest of it.
As I edited, I meant the book in the last sentence. The book is crazy and a very entertaining biography even if you've never heard of MC or a casual listener as I was it's a really great read. Sadly I could never see this work as a movie but I also haven't seen it yet.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 01:57:11 PM »
Yes I agree.  The book was amazing.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 06:18:21 PM »
I haven't read the book, but I still think the movie was very good. I FREAKING LOVE IT

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 07:56:46 PM »
The book is amazing.  The movie was a ton of fun.  I loved how they made the it feel like the book - you'd read a chapter and then the next chapter would be one of the other guys in the band saying "nah, this is how I remember it"  The voiceovers and narration brought that feel into the film.  Loved that they perfectly replicated the Shout at the Devil stage outfits.

The guy that played Tommy Lee was fantastic.  He had Tommy's personality nailed.  The stuff about Skylar affected me, since I have a nearly 4 year old daughter and I just can't imagine going through that as a parent. 

This isn't supposed to be Oscar bait.  This is a movie about the wildest band in the 1980's.  I didn't expect it to be perfectly written or acted.  I expected a ton of sex, drugs and rock and roll, which is exactly what it delivered.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 07:23:32 PM by Grappler »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2019, 03:00:36 PM »
Just finished watching and I loved it.  :metal

Definitely gonna be picking up the book.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 09:52:14 PM »
It was fun and it did the best it could so I'm happy with it.

However, only about 10% of the book is in the movie, so I urge you guys to read the book since it is amazing.

Then, read Nikki's Heroin Diaries.  It's so crazy.  But read The Dirt first.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 11:02:43 PM »
Just finished it.

Yea....awful. I guess they answered my question as to whether they wanted it to be terrible when they did the daughter with cancer thing, but honestly I almost laughed during that scene at how god awful the whole thing was.

Great, Can't wait to see this now, Thanks! Never was and never will be a fan of them. Their music has always been just blahblah background to me, and I love a good train wreck, so I guess I'll catch it after work. ;)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 12:55:51 PM »
It was fun and it did the best it could so I'm happy with it.

However, only about 10% of the book is in the movie, so I urge you guys to read the book since it is amazing.

Then, read Nikki's Heroin Diaries. It's so crazy.  But read The Dirt first.

After you read that, go ahead and proceed on to listening to Sixx: A.M's The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack album.  Great album if you are into that modern mainstream hard rock sound.  A pretty dark (at least, lyrically) album since it's a companion piece to that book.  James Michael is a great vocalist (especially in comparison to Vince Neil).  Way different (and more enjoyable for me) than what Motley Crue had done.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 03:46:17 PM »
seems like its a love/hate thing when I read what people are saying about it.  I don't have netflix so probably won't watch it, but I would check it out.  Maybe I'll get the GF to let me use her netflix to watch one day, but I'm in no rush. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 03:59:03 PM »
Just to clarify, I didn't hate it. If I did, I would have just turned it off, I watched the whole damn thing.

I just thought it was really awful. I was entertained by how awful it was. To me, it's like The Room (way less awful than The Room) in that I can watch it for how bad it is and be entertained, but I won't think it's a good movie. The directing is not good. The writing is not good. Most of the acting is not good. The fact that it's supposed to be cheesy and about a band banging chicks and doing blow doesn't excuse any of that.

I'm not at all confused if people love this film. I like Weekend at Bernies, but I know that's an awful movie.

I am confused, however, if people think this film was well directed, written and acted.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2019, 12:25:47 PM »
Well, I broke down and watched it last night. Assorted musings follow...

Whole lot of liberties taken with the stories. The acting wasn't so bad, in that they did a good job of being party animals and emulating the behavior of Motley Crue. Machine Gun Kelly was surprisingly good as Tommy. The guy who played Nikki Sixx looked too young at the end of the film, like no time had passed at all throughout the course of the film. Iwan Rheon does not look like Mick Mars; he looks like Iwan Rheon in a bad wig, his body type and facial structure is not similar to Mick's. I enjoyed some of his lines, though. He played the part well.

The guy playing Vince Neil did a good job making me hate him. Back to the liberties taken with the stories - yeah, I did not really like the portrayal of Vince's car crash. And why did they even bother including the situation with his daughter if they weren't even going to address it at the end of the film?

The pacing was the biggest problem with the film besides some of the loose storytelling. If this was like a 10 episode series, they would have so much time to give character growth and development (insofar as there is any of that with Motley Crue), amp up the tension and drama behind dope addicts utterly destroying themselves and everything around them, and build up the power behind events like Vince crashing the car, Nikki overdosing, Corabi taking over on vocals, and MC's fall from popularity. Instead it's just bam, bam, bam, here's another scene with another crazy event, no time to breathe or really elaborate on much. I wasn't expecting the Ozzy scene, though, which was funny in a gross and horrifying way.

The best parts of the film were simply watching the guys be party animals and rule the stage. They did a great job playing their parts on stage and looking like real, ass-kicking rock stars, and the soundtrack full of Crue songs was perfect. I don't recall hearing Too Young To Fall In Love though which I was SO excited to hear at some point.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2019, 12:49:44 PM »

Whole lot of liberties taken with the stories. The acting wasn't so bad, in that they did a good job of being party animals and emulating the behavior of Motley Crue. Machine Gun Kelly was surprisingly good as Tommy. The guy who played Nikki Sixx looked too young at the end of the film, like no time had passed at all throughout the course of the film. Iwan Rheon does not look like Mick Mars; he looks like Iwan Rheon in a bad wig, his body type and facial structure is not similar to Mick's. I enjoyed some of his lines, though. He played the part well.

The guy playing Vince Neil did a good job making me hate him. Back to the liberties taken with the stories - yeah, I did not really like the portrayal of Vince's car crash. And why did they even bother including the situation with his daughter if they weren't even going to address it at the end of the film?

The pacing was the biggest problem with the film besides some of the loose storytelling. If this was like a 10 episode series, they would have so much time to give character growth and development (insofar as there is any of that with Motley Crue), amp up the tension and drama behind dope addicts utterly destroying themselves and everything around them, and build up the power behind events like Vince crashing the car, Nikki overdosing, Corabi taking over on vocals, and MC's fall from popularity. Instead it's just bam, bam, bam, here's another scene with another crazy event, no time to breathe or really elaborate on much. I wasn't expecting the Ozzy scene, though, which was funny in a gross and horrifying way.

The best parts of the film were simply watching the guys be party animals and rule the stage. They did a great job playing their parts on stage and looking like real, ass-kicking rock stars, and the soundtrack full of Crue songs was perfect. I don't recall hearing Too Young To Fall In Love though which I was SO excited to hear at some point.
I watched about the first hour last night, and pretty much agree with you. There's no story to tell. It's just a loose collection of anecdotes. I read a few reviews that referred to "it could have happened to any of you guys" as the powerful climax of the film. Really? It was a very valid point, but it didn't actually mean anything at all to the story. In fact, nothing at all in the movie actually meant anything.

Mick Mars was the one character I actually liked in the movie. I have no idea if he was actually like that in real life, he maintained a mysterious persona, but I sure hope he was.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2019, 04:30:38 PM »

I watched about the first hour last night, and pretty much agree with you. There's no story to tell. It's just a loose collection of anecdotes. I read a few reviews that referred to "it could have happened to any of you guys" as the powerful climax of the film. Really? It was a very valid point, but it didn't actually mean anything at all to the story. In fact, nothing at all in the movie actually meant anything.

Mick Mars was the one character I actually liked in the movie. I have no idea if he was actually like that in real life, he maintained a mysterious persona, but I sure hope he was.

I watched roughly the first half last night based on a recommendation by a guy at work.  He has read the book (I haven't) and told me that the movie isn't "good," but it's "fun."  I'll agree with that.

I also agree with the "collection of anecdotes" characterization, and I think that's intention -- even if it's not necessarily portrayed as such.  I also found Mick to be the most compelling "character."  I'm also skeptical how close to truth a lot of this is.  I had no idea it was Ramsey Bolton playing him, so that'll make it interesting when I watch the second half.

I haven't yet gotten to the car crash, so I can't comment on that.  It was very knee-jerk how it went from Nikki and Tommy getting together, followed by Mick and Vince joining, and then bang!  They're opening for Ozzy.  They glossed right over the Too Fast for Love era, and not showing the US Festival performance was a glaring omission.

The whole "Vince is fucking someone else's girlfriend" thing got rather tedious, and parts of it looked like nothing but an excuse to be raunchy.

But it was an easy watch, so I will finish it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2019, 10:19:43 AM »
But it was an easy watch, so I will finish it.

I finished it last night.  Turns out I had stopped watching right before Wharton and Dingley got in the car.  Needless to say, the second half of the movie wasn't nearly as fun as the first half.  Also, once they got past Theatre of Pain, they had pretty much moved past the point where I stopped following the band.  But they tied it up in a nice little "happily ever after" bow.

Overall, I'd give it no better than a C.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung