Author Topic: "The Astonishing" World = Greater New York area (+theory about topic of album)  (Read 9440 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Don't know how much this has been discussed, but l think with the second map snippet it's now rather obvious.

- "New Pavonya" is a reference to the original name of New Jersey (Pavonia, New Netherlands)
- The left map snippet starts with "YO", which very likely also spells "Yorke", just like the "Yorke Bay" in the right snippet => New York state
- "Endless Isleland" is a long sliver of land reaching into Yorke Bay from the Northeast => Long Island

Educated guesses:
- "Silver Head Mountains" => Appalachians (maybe Catskills in particular)
- Top-left island on right map snippet => Manhattan?
- "Victory Island" => Staten Island?
- Ravenskill => Catskill?

EDIT: Part 2 of my theory:
The Astonishing is an allegory to DT themselves. The Empire is the music industry based in NYC that creates a mechanized drone of artificial music, lulling in people.
The rebels (aka DT) are from Long/Endless Island who play Forbidden Music.

I'm calling dibs on this theory.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 01:56:13 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: "The Astonishing" World = Greater New York area
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 09:28:52 AM »
Rumby, I admire you for being able to make such educated guesses. All this makes perfect sense! So, do you think that what we have here is the rebel area?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 09:35:24 AM »
Interesting observation.  In fact, this is one of the only interesting speculations I've read thus far. 

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 09:41:30 AM »
Very nice catch, Rumbo!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 10:46:33 AM »
*put into OP*
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 10:59:50 AM by rumborak »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 11:29:33 AM »
Thats a really thought out map, it even has a Yellow Dragon, and Blue Sea Monster in the bottom right of the recent section of the map.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 12:02:57 PM »
Thats a really thought out map, it even has a Yellow Dragon, and Blue Sea Monster in the bottom right of the recent section of the map.

I hadn't seen them Good catch, Ben! Yeah, there is work in all this.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline j

Good stuff, rumbo.  I'm impressed.

-J

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
 :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
 :laugh: nice theory
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Luis W

Also, "2285" Entr'acte. 300 years after 1985, the year DT formed. No one caught that one yet?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Also, "2285" Entr'acte. 300 years after 1985, the year DT formed. No one caught that one yet?

Other people have worked out that it's also somehow 100 years after 1928... ?

In Astonishing world.

Offline wizard of Thought

Other people have worked out that it's also somehow 100 years after 1928... ?

In Astonishing world.

Yes this was hinted in the e-mails. It said 2285 AD and 257 AC which would conclude that, whatever "C" is, is happening in 2285-257=2028 which is 100 years after 1928 (obviously).

Offline Luis W

An album mixing Metropolis and DT history altogether...

In 2310, The Ravenskill Rebel Militia will suffer a great loss. JP was the hipnoterapist. Portnoy was Nicholas, troubled by his past (Victoria = booze; let her go!). Then JP (Hypnot.) fired MP (Nicholas). MM is MP brother (Mike and Mike doh), he enters the rebellion and save the world, because he is simply astonishing!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Coincidentally, it's also 270 years after our current year, no one has mentioned that either.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline CoT67

New update, so far it seems to confirm OP's theory:

People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Wow the pace of these small updates! I'm liking it.

EDIT: Borderlands concept album confirmed
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Enigmachine

New update, so far it seems to confirm OP's theory:

*snip*

omg two updates in a day

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
It's not that much of a connection to make though, "Great Northern Empire of the Americas" -- and all of DT lives there... (toronto, boston, ny, ny, pennsylvania).

;)

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
Nice catch! Although, like noxon said, when you think about it it makes sense  :lol

So I guess that means the Northern Highlands is what Canada will be called in a few hundred years.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
You smart SOB!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Actually, if Ravenskill = Catskill, the rebels would live in the Northwest, in th mountains.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Also, right over the "Yorke Bay", it seems to spell " Hell's Gutexay" or something. Probably Manhattan's Hell's Kitchen then.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

Also, right over the "Yorke Bay", it seems to spell " Hell's Gutexay" or something. Probably Manhattan's Hell's Kitchen then.

Has to be "Gateway" right? I zoomed in to try to confirm but it's hard to tell.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline jsbru

I noticed the "Yorke" in the name of the bay, and the "Endless Isleand" maybe might be Long Island, and thought it might be connected to NYC somehow, but didn't think much of it afterward.  After all, there's a York area on just about every continent...it's a pretty common name.  But if NJ was really originally called New Pavonia, I'd say that pretty much seals the deal.  This is more than just a wild theory, and the names are intentional and meant to be a legit part of DT's story.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

Has to be "Gateway" right? I zoomed in to try to confirm but it's hard to tell.

You might be right. The jpg artifacts make it hard to discern.

BTW, pretty sure the "...neland" above it will be the "New Maineland" mentioned in the emails that is the seat of power of the Empire. That would play nicely into my theory again, with New Maineland being NYC essentially.

Offline Madman Shepherd

rumborak, your theory is pretty awesome and has gotten me excited again.  When you figured out it had something to do with New York, I assumed it would have some hidden meaning with DT but I stopped short of putting any of the other stuff together because thus far I can't get into the idea that is some sci-fi video game. 

Well, now knowing (er...hoping) that it is an allegory for the band?  I can get behind this concept if it has some real world meaning. 

I hope to god you are right. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2015, 02:01:38 AM »
Interesting observation.  In fact, this is one of the only interesting speculations I've read thus far.

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
Rumborak - great theory. If it´s right, I believe this will be one of the boldest albums ever made. 
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline MirrorMask

Well, it could be logical as well, they create a story, they get influenced and inspired by their surroundings and stuff they know, why would they want to come up with an alternate version of Australia and New Zealand?

Still this doesn't take away anything from rumborak's nice idea - and to the credit he deserves for having pointed it out - , I wouldn't mind at all if he was right and the underlying theme of the album was that music, one of the most beautiful arts, is important to the point that in a fictional world it helps to destroy tyranny.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Illegalastronaught

• Buzz
  • I am not of this world
 Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnn...
"That's one small step for man" - Hollywood

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnn...
You've got a point there but I just can't imagine it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
I'm wondering if Victory Isleland is a reference to Staten Island. Victory Boulevard is one of the longest and most well known streets here.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I'm wondering if Victory Isleland is a reference to Staten Island. Victory Boulevard is one of the longest and most well known streets here.

I mentioned my suspicion in the OP, but I only surmised based on location. Yeah, that ties it in further.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
I really like part I of the theory, but dislike part II, even if it makes sense. Idk, if they are going all out crazy with a futuristic theme, I really don't want it to have that much relation to the real world, and I think a story/allusion between music rebels vs the industry is as silly as SFAM's regression (even though it's still an amazing album).