Author Topic: The What If? Thread  (Read 13362 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: The What If? Thread
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2015, 09:18:21 PM »
What if Jordan had agreed to join DT when he was first given the chance to? This way we wouldn't have had Derek, and vertainly not the same FII we had.

That is vertainly a valid visualization and I vociferously agree with your vivacious and vivid postulation.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2015, 12:01:43 AM »
What if Jordan had agreed to join DT when he was first given the chance to? This way we wouldn't have had Derek, and vertainly not the same FII we had.

That is vertainly a valid visualization and I vociferously agree with your vivacious and vivid postulation.

I dress up as him every Halloween and recite all of his phrases, as well as his intro speech, lol, big fan of that dude.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2015, 05:40:05 AM »
I am surprised no one else has suggested this what if yet...
but what if dream theater had gone with a more  accessible singer than James Labrie? Would they be more successful? Don't get me wrong, I've loved james from the minute i heard him on under a glass moon, but the most common thing I hear from other musicians or fans of this type of music is "the music is good, just not a fan of the singer" so on and so forth

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2016, 07:54:09 AM »
Another resurrection for another What If no one asked so far:

What if James never had that fateful food poisoning accident? is it safe to assume that for all his prime he would have sang like on Live at the Marquee, would people (the one, see post above, that don't love him anyway) be more receptive of him had he stayed a live war machine rather than taking 10 years before fully recovering his whole range?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2016, 09:12:32 PM »

What if James never had that fateful food poisoning accident? is it safe to assume that for all his prime he would have sang like on Live at the Marquee, would people (the one, see post above, that don't love him anyway) be more receptive of him had he stayed a live war machine rather than taking 10 years before fully recovering his whole range?

I actually like his singing in FII, can't imagine how would have he sounded.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2016, 03:25:49 AM »

I actually like his singing in FII, can't imagine how would have he sounded.

For some reason, I think it benefited him in terms of longevity because they might have kept on pushing his vocals with songs ala Another Day and Innocence Faded.

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2016, 03:58:13 AM »
right thread for a lot of random ‘ what if ‘ questions floating in my mind as listening TA …
… what if this album was released by other known band …
… what if this is album was released back in 1991 …

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2016, 06:18:14 AM »
Man, OP had the right idea but wasn't he a bit of a hippie type?

"what if Octavarium is just us experiencing our existence through ourselves and our reality is merely just like, a dream bro?"
 :mehlin

What was OP on?  :corn
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2016, 11:55:56 AM »
Man, OP had the right idea but wasn't he a bit of a hippie type?

"what if Octavarium is just us experiencing our existence through ourselves and our reality is merely just like, a dream bro?"
 :mehlin

What was OP on?  :corn

I find that I have to agree with this statement, unfortunately
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2016, 02:16:47 PM »
Who are you Dave Mustaine sweating bullets?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2017, 05:04:00 PM »
What if Honor Thy Father had different lyrics? The music is awesome in that song I'd say the best on ToT but is ruined by these lyrics. Id like to hear it live one day.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2017, 01:02:58 AM »
What if Honor Thy Father had different lyrics? The music is awesome in that song I'd say the best on ToT but is ruined by these lyrics. Id like to hear it live one day.

I personally don't like the music. Good for you and for anyone else who digs the song, I don't really care for it, it's not my type of heaviness.

And generally yes, if it didn't have such specific lyrics, probably it would have had more staying power live.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!