Author Topic: The What If? Thread  (Read 13451 times)

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
The What If? Thread
« on: November 26, 2015, 08:16:01 PM »
As a newbie here of 1 week now, this will be my first thread  ;D

Anyway, while we're still waiting for the Astonishing, why not do a what if thread?  But let's keep it moderately serious! (and discuss our thoughts?)

What if DT released Metropolis Pt 2 on Falling Into Infinity? Where do you think their 5th album would have gone?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:34:03 PM by Pragmaticcircus »
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
Re: The What If? Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 08:28:58 PM »

What if DT released Metropolis Pt 3 on Falling Into Infinity? Where do you think their 5th album would have gone?

You mean Metropolis Pt. 2, right?  ;)

Well I personally think (maybe I'm wrong) they still would have went for a Rock Opera, but about something else. It was about time in their career for it anyways . . .

Cool thread idea btw  :smiley: I'll try to think of one!
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 08:31:24 PM »
Okay how about this . . . what if Dream Theater had kept the line-up of LaBrie-Petrucci-Myung-Moore-Portnoy all the way until today? How specifically do you think their music would be different and how would it be similar?

Sorry if that's too far out there for this thread  :lol

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 08:36:35 PM »
Well all I know about Portnoy if he stayed was that DT would have released a concept album of some sort in 2011. (because I heard him mention it in an interview)
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 08:39:32 PM »
Haha, if you follow Portnoy's trend in the 2000's(gettin' darker and heavier), they probably would have replaced James with a growling singer  :rollin
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 08:44:20 PM »
Well all I know about Portnoy if he stayed was that DT would have released a concept album of some sort in 2011. (because I heard him mention it in an interview)

Really? Wow . . .

Me and another person were joking Yesterday about "what if" The Astonishing idea went back to Portnoy and he has some credit with it. Maybe it's not so far off afterall . . . still pretty unlikely though  :lol

Haha, if you follow Portnoy's trend in the 2000's(gettin' darker and heavier), they probably would have replaced James with a growling singer  :rollin

:lol :rollin Probably would of got the guy from Meshuggah eventually! I wonder how that would sound like with the music of DT xD

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 08:54:32 PM »
/\ Funny you should mention meshuggah, I was actually wondering how interesting DT's version of Bleed would sound like. Of course, they'd have to invite Jens to sing over it, but I think it would sound pretty cool. With weird Rudess solos, of course!

What if... the final version of Nightmare to Remember actually had the real "cookie monster" vocals by MP on the final version? I think that would've alienated people from that part of the song more than it already did (for my money I think MP actually sings great in that part. Really!)

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 08:58:20 PM »
Oh no, mentioning Meshuggah, I can just imagine them doing a Dream Theater/Meshuggah big band (like Fantomas/Melvins) can you see all 9 of them on stage looking confused  :mehlin
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 09:20:10 PM »
What if JP left instead of MP?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 09:23:32 PM »

Then it would be a full-on black metal band  :lol :rollin

But seriously that's a good question!

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 09:26:27 PM »
BTW, not to say the only thing MP does is heavy stuff . . . because I did go see Flying Colors in my home town of Torrance last year, and that was pretty mild compared to DT - though also very awesome  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 08:18:07 AM »
The "Portnoy = Thrash" trope is tired.  More of his stuff after DT is NOT metal than is, and in fact, he has released some of the proggiest material of his career.

So, my "what if" is, "what if Portnoy didn't leave; what was the next album covered?" and a follow up, "what was the next batch of Ytsejam releases?"

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 09:23:24 AM »

I think that DT would cease to exist at that point. MP was important but JP is the main songwriter and really defines the sound of the band.

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 10:17:14 AM »
The "Portnoy = Thrash" trope is tired.  More of his stuff after DT is NOT metal than is, and in fact, he has released some of the proggiest material of his career.

So, my "what if" is, "what if Portnoy didn't leave; what was the next album covered?" and a follow up, "what was the next batch of Ytsejam releases?"

Yeah sorry man, just joking around, don't mean to offend anyone  :smiley:

Well we'll move on from that then . . . well I think if Portnoy stayed they would have gone in a more ambitious direction, since there would be more stability - perhaps . . .

. . . we would have had something like "The Astonishing" much earlier (but that's all speculation)  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 10:21:28 AM »

With bands he was already in prior to his departure from DT (Neal Morse, Transatlantic).

I think it's fair to say that the majority of his new projects (featuring new material) since leaving DT have been way more hard rock/metal than prog (A Mob - shit metal; Winery Dogs - hard rock; Flying Colors - catchy rock with a slice of prog).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 10:22:06 AM »

I'm sorry too; I wasn't trying to single you out.  A lot of people believe that, and they aren't joking.

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 10:24:50 AM »

I'm sorry too; I wasn't trying to single you out.  A lot of people believe that, and they aren't joking.

No prob  ;D

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 12:54:47 PM »
First answer: Moving Pictures.

Second answer: he himself answered that on his forum quite some time ago. Off the top of my head, the only thing I distinctly remember was the 12/30/98 show. And I think he was also planning on releasing a compilation of the Rush songs they had covered, since at that point it didn't look like they were gonna be doing any more cover shows in the (then) near future.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 01:01:50 PM »
Oh he was asking what album they would cover . . . dumb me I looked over that part  :lol

I'd go with you, Moving Pictures seems like the most likely

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 02:01:46 PM »

what was the next batch of Ytsejam releases?"

SDoIT demos also :metal

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 02:35:07 PM »

Actually it was to be the Making of 6DOIT, the last show with DS and a cover series of Rush.
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 02:41:28 PM »

I've always been fascinated by a SDOIT making of, why do you think Portnoy skipped to releasing the TOT demos instead?
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 03:08:32 PM »
I've always been fascinated by a SDOIT making of, why do you think Portnoy skipped to releasing the TOT demos instead?
Probably because it would take far less time to compile 7 demos (whole songs) than many bits and pieces of 6 (mostly) long songs in various states of being completed, mixed, etc.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 03:11:56 PM »

Second answer: he himself answered that on his forum quite some time ago. Off the top of my head, the only thing I distinctly remember was the 12/30/98 show. And I think he was also planning on releasing a compilation of the Rush songs they had covered, since at that point it didn't look like they were gonna be doing any more cover shows in the (then) near future.

He did answer it. Wasn't one of the shows going to be a DVD of one of those last BC&SL shows from Japan.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 03:22:34 PM »

He did answer it. Wasn't one of the shows going to be a DVD of one of those last BC&SL shows from Japan.
I think you're right. Actually, I think it was gonna be one of the last 2 Japanese shows, as well as one of the summer Euro festival gigs.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 03:23:12 PM »

Likely DT would be no more.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 03:50:33 PM »
What if Derek Sherinian stayed? (and Jordan didn't join)
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 03:51:49 PM »
what if cliff burton didn't die ?

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2015, 03:53:32 PM »
what if cliff burton didn't die ?
We wouldn't have this pic:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2015, 05:22:54 PM »
What if there was a sequel to The Killing Hand?
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2015, 05:43:37 PM »
What if there was a sequel to The Killing Hand?

It all makes sense now!

Metropolis Pt. 3 Outcry Pt. 2 The Killing Hand Pt. 2: The Astonishing!!! :lol

Seriously though, I'd love to hear that! I'm one of those DT fans that really likes WDADU . . .

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2015, 05:46:16 PM »
Here's one . . .

What if Charlie Dominici stayed with the band to record IAW? Do you think it would have had the same success? Less? More?

And what would their career be like? Would most of us even know about them?

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2015, 05:46:50 PM »
No offense meant to JLB though, he rocks!!! :metal :yarr

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2015, 05:51:03 PM »
Here's one . . .

What if Charlie Dominici stayed with the band to record IAW? Do you think it would have had the same success? Less? More?

WOAH AH AH! WOAH AH AH! WOAH AH aaaaaaaaaaaah!

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2015, 05:56:53 PM »
Here's one . . .

WOAH AH AH! WOAH AH AH! WOAH AH aaaaaaaaaaaah!

I'm new to the forums, still don't know what and what not to say (as you will see if you look at my activity) :lol