Author Topic: The Leader of the Pack  (Read 1473 times)

Offline porcacultor

The Leader of the Pack
« on: November 25, 2015, 03:35:06 PM »
Sorry for the shit title, couldn't word it any better.

This is a topic mostly for personal impressions about how the band is "lead", since few of us (or none?) have actual access to how Dream Theater works internally.

What are the differences that you feel between the time in which Mike Portnoy was in the band and now that he has left? I know that there's been less of an effort to release "official bootlegs" (though that free christmas gift with live songs with Mangini that didn't make Luna Park was THE SHIT) but how else do you feel the difference between these eras of the band?

This can include songwriting, production, press appearances, whatever.

It's been only two albums in, but one thing that I think unites ADTOE and DTDT is that LaBrie seems more "comfortable" with his vocal lines. He's said in interviews that there were songs that he didn't feel at ease with in his range (like New Millenium), and that seems to have stopped.

Though Petrucci is producing, writing the majority of the lyrics and could be seen as their de facto "leader", I feel like all members have more "room". Either on stage or in terms of press and writing, stuff seems to be more balanced somehow.

I don't mean to slag MP or anything. I actually miss him to some extent. You can't deny the guy's drive, energy and commitment towards his projects. However, his commanding personhood might've played a part in subduing a bit of JM and JLB's roles in the band. That's just my impression, though!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Leader of the Pack
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 03:43:18 PM »
Got about the same impression that you do....

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 05:43:58 PM »
I agree, it seems much more balanced, with everyone contributing again, and everyone getting time in the spotlight (even JM is more audible, thankfully). The songwriting on the last 2 albums has been some of their best IMO. And, while there are still obviously heavy tracks, it's done in a more musical (at least to me) way compared to BCSL and SC.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 08:09:13 PM »
I always thought this loosely was the general consensus on the situation now anyway.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 11:34:38 PM »
It's pretty obvious that MP wanted to go in a more metal route and the rest of the guys wanted more prog route. Just listen to SC and BC&SL.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 11:47:39 AM »
Yeah, I feel too that at the beginning it was probably a cohesive band effort, Kevin Moore went and the JP / MP duo took over, MP's influence grew bigger and bigger and now with him gone JP leads the show with the others feeling more at ease.

I wonder however if this was a circular problem, I mean... one of the quotes from Mike that I remember was something about the lines of "Sure, the other guys are involved as well but I watch over the details, if you ask them what's the b-side to the Hollow Years single, they probably don't know". Mike was overseeing everything because he wanted to, or because he had to? sure at the end it got to a point where he probably felt the need to watch over everything, but did he boss around the others (Another thing I remembered is him saying he was wearing down the others until they agreed) or he watched over the details because no one else bothered to say "Hey, this time around let me take charge of the merchandise" or "Hey, by now I figured out your setlists creation process, wanna some help? mind some suggestions?"...

Probably the truth lies in between, that's why there's not a clear right or wrong in situations like these... whatever their issues are, those most private and those who have been made public, I'm pretty sure everyone thinks they did the right thing, no way Mike thinks to himself "Yeah, I was a bossy dictator" or the others "Damn, I never ever cared for what kind of t-shirts we were selling".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 08:15:45 AM »
Personally, this topic has been pored over too many times to dig deep again, but I will add this:   the impression that the other four went along kicking and screaming while Tzar Portnoy wielded an iron fist over the band I think is way off base.   I think Portnoy did a lot by default, but I think there were far more cases where if a band member stepped up and said "I'ma not gonna do that", they didn't, James LaBrie included.   "Revelations (Mother Earth)" is but one example.

I imagine it is a matter of degree, because there is less being done, but I imagine the dynamic isn't all that different now.  Petrucci writes a lot (music and lyrics) because albums have to be made, but if anyone brings something in, it will be heard.  But they don't (as much) and so the albums are heavy on the Petrucci.   Substitute "Portnoy" for "Petrucci" and to me there is no difference.

As for LaBrie and "comfort", well, "comfort" doesn't always translate into good material.   It's like a sports team.  Phil Simms wasn't "comfortable" with Bill Parcells, but he has two Super Bowl rings to show for it, and to this day says that while he didn't like it at the time, Parcells made him a far better player than he would have been otherwise.    Mick Jagger is likely more comfortable on his solo albums (which blow) than with Richards, and yet together they are the "World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band".     I think LaBrie's singing (with one exception, "This Is The Life") is tamer and less adventurous than it ever was.  I for one miss some of the textures (though I don't miss the growl vocals).   

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 02:24:24 PM »
(...) but I think there were far more cases where if a band member stepped up and said "I'ma not gonna do that", they didn't, James LaBrie included.   "Revelations (Mother Earth)" is but one example.

Could you elaborate on that?

And good points!