Poll

If DT and Portnoy ever had a reunion concert, which setlist would you prefer?

The Twelve Step Suite in its entirety to open, and then a bunch of the fan favorites
58 (59.2%)
A "Scenes From A Memory" Tour Setlist with the full album played
6 (6.1%)
Portnoy having a go at all the big Mangini-era songs, plus playing fan favorites from his era
15 (15.3%)
Just all of the fan favorites played in no particular order
9 (9.2%)
Mixture of two or more OR Your own setlist idea (please specify)
10 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Author Topic: If DT and Portnoy ever had a reunion concert, which setlist would you prefer?  (Read 3894 times)

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
Okay so the first thread I started here . . . just an idea bouncing around in my head on what the setlist would be like if Portnoy and the band ever had one or more reunion concert. May not be the most creative options and I'm sure a lot of you guys are going to choose option 5  :lol - just trying to get a discussion going  ;)

I personally chose number 1 - I need to hear the twelve step suite played in entirety!!!

Feel free to share your thoughts  :biggrin:
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
The only reason for a reunion show or shows would in my opinion be the 12 steps suite.

Nothing else would suffice on such an occasion. Would love that if it happened.

Portnoy on the 12 steps and then dual drumming with Mangini for the rest of the show....

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
The only reason for a reunion show or shows would in my opinion be the 12 steps suite.

Nothing else would suffice on such an occasion. Would love that if it happened.

Portnoy on the 12 steps and then dual drumming with Mangini for the rest of the show....

I guess all we can do is hope at this point . . . hope it comes to be someday

One thing for sure, no matter where it is, or how much it is, I will be there  :metal

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
Would love to  hear Portnoy playing Breaking All Illusions or Surrender To Reason!

Online DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
TheAstonishinglol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
TheAstonishinglol

How about the astonishing, Metropolis Parts I and II, and The Twelve Step Suite?  :lol That would be the ultimate setlist, aside from being a bit long!

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
Would love to  hear Portnoy playing Breaking All Illusions or Surrender To Reason!

Me too!  ;)

Offline Madman Shepherd

While it would be kind of cool to hear the 12 step suite, I have listened to it in its entirety and I really don't think that is something to play front to back.  Its kind of exhausting. 

I would want them to do songs from ALL DT eras including Mangini.  I hate it when bands reunite and ignore other eras.  Bruce Dickinson didn't refuse and the Blaze era was one of the least successful as far as bands with replacement musicians. 

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
Thanks for all the feedback guys!  ;D

I here you there Madman Shepherd! Would love to hear Mangini songs in the mix!

Offline pcs90

While I think the 12-step suite is probably the most likely, I personally don't care for most of it. I'd really like to hear how MP interprets MM's parts on the newer stuff. Obviously they won't compare to MM's, but I think it'd be really cool to hear. Plus I love almost all songs they've done since MP left, so it'd be a great setlist for me regardless of which one was playing drums.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Gotta also go wit the 12SS. Plus it means they'd play THE GLASS FUCKING PRISON.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
I'm sure the 12SS will happen one day. Whether it's with DT or some other Portnoy project. Although part of me thinks the reason Portnoy hasn't done it by himself is because he wants to do it with DT.

I can see them doing the 12ss as one set and then a 2nd set with The Best of Times, A Change of Seasons, some other favorites, and an encore of Metropolis with a Mangini/Portnoy drum duel.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline 1neeto

I think a 12 sort suite would be an hour of the same riffs over and over. Not sure how I'd feel about that.

More important than that, I really wish they made amends. The story of that breakup is way too nasty, all they went through together for 25 years and now they can't even talk to each other. That's just sad.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I think a 12 sort suite would be an hour of the same riffs over and over. Not sure how I'd feel about that.

Except for TSF, there's not much reuse of riffs in the 12SS at all. TDS reuses one riff that I recall. It wasn't until the reprised riff over half way in that I even realized there was a connection to TGP the first time I heard it.
TROAE's intro connects back to TDS, plus the "feel my body breaking" section. Aside from that, it's a shift in style from the previous two songs with a lot of unique riffs.
Repentance is based on a riff from TDS, but is a total departure from the previous songs, so it sounds nothing alike.

It's only TSF that recycles all of the previous songs (I can't remember the figure I worked out, but I think it was something like 3/4 based on previous material), but it actually works better in the context of the suite than you'd expect from listening to it alone (and I quite dislike the song on its own).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline pcs90

More important than that, I really wish they made amends. The story of that breakup is way too nasty, all they went through together for 25 years and now they can't even talk to each other. That's just sad.
JR and MP are still friends, pretty sure JP and MP have also talked since then (can't remember where I saw that). No idea about JM and JLB, though.

Offline MajorBoobage

It had to be 50/50 concert, half of Portnoys songs and half of Manginis, it just wouldn´t be fair to Mangini to be sidelined, even for that one show.
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Offline Sycsa

2 sets: first one w Mangini, playing new songs. Second set w Portnoy, playing 12SS and ACoS, possibly The Best of Times. Then encore, featuring both drummers, playing Metropolis with a drum solo battle in the middle.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
The 12 Step Saga as a second act of the show.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
2 sets: first one w Mangini, playing new songs. Second set w Portnoy, playing 12SS and ACoS, possibly The Best of Times. Then encore, featuring both drummers, playing Metropolis with a drum solo battle in the middle.

This would be awesome!

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
A lot of great ideas here, again thanks for taking the time to answer guys!!!  ;D

Whatever setlist, I'm sure this will be the best concert ever, especially if Portnoy and Mangini have a drum-off - wow!!!  :eek

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic

Now that I would love to hear!!! See, you guys are much better at coming up with setlists than I am  :lol

Offline paulstfu

My dream "Portnoy reunion" Setlist:

SET I - Dream Theater

1 hour of fan favorite songs with current band

- Intermission -

SET II - Dream Theater + MP (without any knowing he'll be there)

1. The Best of Times
2. 12 step suite
3. A Change of Seasons
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline MirrorMask

1. The Best of Times
2. 12 step suite
3. A Change of Seasons

Having The Best of Times before the entire 12 steps suite is anticlimatic, but since it's all fantasy, I can imagine - since you said it's a secret - the set starting with the slow intro melody, people going WTF they play this song without Portnoy, and then when the drums kick in spotlight on the drums and it's MP  :D hearts attacks guaranteed.

Well, if Mike should ever return for good, I'd take the Iron Maiden approach, carry on as usual. Bruce sang songs from the previous albums before his return, Portnoy should play songs from the Mangini albums.

If it's a single reunion concert, I agree that it's a golden occasion to play the 12 steps suite and then, as encore, The Best of Times. And then as a double encore A Change of Seasons  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
I'm loving the idea of a surprise appearance . . . & cool setlist idea! My life would pretty much be complete if I so happened to be at that concert  :metal

And yep Change of Seasons is a must . . . forgot about that  :facepalm:

Offline paulstfu

1. The Best of Times
2. 12 step suite
3. A Change of Seasons

Having The Best of Times before the entire 12 steps suite is anticlimatic, but since it's all fantasy, I can imagine - since you said it's a secret - the set starting with the slow intro melody, people going WTF they play this song without Portnoy, and then when the drums kick in spotlight on the drums and it's MP  :D hearts attacks guaranteed.

That's the idea!  :biggrin: Everyone crying, fainting and shouting "FINALLY", "DREAMS COME TRUE", "MY LIFE IS COMPLETE", and other sort of reactions.

Well, if Mike should ever return for good, I'd take the Iron Maiden approach, carry on as usual. Bruce sang songs from the previous albums before his return, Portnoy should play songs from the Mangini albums.

Since MP's departure, I've always thought this would be the best way to do it.

If it's a single reunion concert, I agree that it's a golden occasion to play the 12 steps suite and then, as encore, The Best of Times. And then as a double encore A Change of Seasons  ;D

I really think that if MP's going to play again with DT it's going to be a one-off show, like WDADRU or maybe Pink Floyd's Live 8 performance.

This is the only thing I'm asking for, just MP back to the band for a single special show, where they play those songs.
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
Haha, Portony returns for their 50th anniversary.

Setlist includes:

(Set #1 - with Mangini)
Pull me under
track of DT17
track off DT15
The enemy inside
track off DT17
The gift of music/the answer
Voices
track off DT16
Heaven's Cove
track of DT14
Breaking all illusions

(Intermission)

(set #2 - with Portony)
The glass prison
This dying soul
The root of all evil
Repentance
The shattered fortress

(Encore)
The best of times
Metropolis part 3

:metal   ;)
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline porcacultor

They could take cues from the awesome way King Crimson incorporated 3 drummers and play a whole set with both drummers onstage sharing the parts. That would actually work best for a one-off, practically, because DT's current lineup would remain onstage at all times and the drummers could collaborate in creating interesting parts for the songs.

I do like the version in which Portnoy drops in as a surprise mid-set. It'd be killer if they started with The Mirror, though, and instead of segue-ing into Lie they skipped to the Glass Prison and started the 12-step suite right there. Then MP and MM share the kit (or play in separate kits) and play Metropolis pt.1 at the end.

I do hope this happens someday, somehow.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Okay...

You KNOW I HAD to do it...so...

You should have been EXPECTING this:

My idea-as usual-is a little different, in that it includes both drummers both separately and together. Also nothing newer than a couple of songs from "12"

Set One:
(First three songs played by the current version of the band)
1) Behind the veil (or The Looking Glass)
2) This is the Life (or Lost Not Forgotten)
3) A Rite of Passage (or Forsaken)
(The stage goes almost completely black for a few seconds. Then when the lights come back up, Mangini is gone, and the lighting over his "space" is still very dim. James walks to the edge of the stage and says something about "welcoming back and old friend." The lights go up on a section of the stage that had been previously been dark and/or closed off, to reveal Portnoy sitting at a second drum kit. The next three songs are played with him, and they are:)
4) The Glass Prison
5) This Dying Soul
6) The Root of All Evil
(Portnoy makes a joke about not being able to play the rest of the show by himself. The lights go back up on Mangini back at his kit, and they play a drastically altered version of the next song---)
7) Repentance
(They skip most of the intro, and after James sings the main two verses and choruses, the band plays an instrumental section featuring the two drummers, concluding with about  4 or 5 minutes of "dueling" between "the two Mikes.")
8) The Shattered Fortress

~~~~Intermission~~~~~

1) Overture 1928
2) Just Let Me Breathe
3) The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
4) The Count of Tuscany (with extended guitar solo)
5) Constant Motion
6) As I am
7) Piano/keyboard solo / Along for the Ride
8) A Change of Seasons

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Encore:

1) 6:00
2) A Fortune in Lies (or Afterlife)
3) Metropolis
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:13:21 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
Damn not bad setlist ideas guys! Maybe you should be their concert planners  ;)

I'm gonna have to think up my own now . . . give me a second  :lol

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
They could take cues from the awesome way King Crimson incorporated 3 drummers and play a whole set with both drummers onstage sharing the parts. That would actually work best for a one-off, practically, because DT's current lineup would remain onstage at all times and the drummers could collaborate in creating interesting parts for the songs.

I do like the version in which Portnoy drops in as a surprise mid-set. It'd be killer if they started with The Mirror, though, and instead of segue-ing into Lie they skipped to the Glass Prison and started the 12-step suite right there. Then MP and MM share the kit (or play in separate kits) and play Metropolis pt.1 at the end.

I do hope this happens someday, somehow.

:tup Brilliant ideas! We got to have ya organize this thing . . . heck wouldn't it be cool if DT saw this thread and combined all our ideas?

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
Okay let’s assume they do a surprise concert with Portnoy sometime before The Astonishing comes out (conveniently – even though it won’t happen – so we don’t have to add songs we don’t know). Here is my setlist:

Part I: Mangini

Behind The Veil
Erotomania
Outcry
This is The Life
The Great Debate
Illumination Theory

Part II: Portnoy (Surprise Appearance)

Twelve Step Suite

Part III: Both (via ideas people above have had)

The Ytse Jam
A Change of Seasons
Surrender to Reason
Panic Attack
Enigma Machine
Breaking All Illusions

Encore: Both

Instrumedley (Imagine that with Both of them!!!)
Metropolis Pt. 1

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
*Preparing to get a bunch of "how could you miss (insert name) and why would you pick (insert name)* Because honestly I only spent five minutes on mine  :lol

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
Act one:

Metropolis part 3
The great debate
Enigma machine
The gift of music
In the presence of enemies part 1
Voices
Digital discord
Lines in the sand (Portnoy enters and replaces Mangini)
Bleed (Meshuggah cover)
Breaking all illusions

Act 2:

(the mirror introtape)
The glass prison
This dying soul
The root of all evil
Repentance
The shattered fortress

Encore:
Fatal tragedy
The best of times

Second Encore:
Metropolis part 1

Ok, it's not 100% serious but what the hell  :metal
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 12:06:18 AM by Pragmaticcircus »
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
Act one:

Metropolis part 3
The great debate
Enigma machine
The gift of music
In the presence of enemies part 1
Voices
Digital discord
Lines in the sand (Portnoy enters and replaces Mangini)
Bleed (Meshuggah cover)
Breaking all illusions

Act 2:

(the mirror introtape)
The glass prison
This dying soul
The root of all evil
Repentance
The shattered fortress

Encore:
Fatal tragedy
The best of times

Second Encore:
Metropolis part 1

Ok, it's not 100% serious but what the hell  :metal

:lol Great!!!

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
Okay...

You KNOW I HAD to do it...so...

You should have been EXPECTING this:

....Why?
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer