Author Topic: RedLetterMedia Thread  (Read 27285 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: RedLetterMedia Thread
« Reply #245 on: August 31, 2017, 01:13:57 PM »
That whole bit about diversity was so good.

Also my favorite thing about this series is watching them make each other break character.   :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #246 on: August 31, 2017, 08:49:34 PM »
If I wanted to see a cracker factory, I'd visit Nabisco.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #247 on: September 10, 2017, 04:36:22 PM »
Latest episode. They do It and it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iID-OpwZ4E

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #248 on: February 02, 2018, 05:11:53 AM »
Thread bump! Nerd Crew is back!

https://youtu.be/80T59B2RVOo

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: February 02, 2018, 09:12:18 AM »
Personally, I loved that episode.

I can't wait to try to match up the inevitable teaser trailer with their reaction.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #250 on: August 28, 2018, 08:20:10 AM »
New Mr. Plinkett review

Last jedi

https://youtu.be/f83D18xL7VE?t=1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #251 on: August 28, 2018, 08:54:08 AM »
For me, this kind of sums up why, by and large, I find these kinds of videos annoying.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9HivyjAKlc
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: August 28, 2018, 10:10:50 AM »
Dismissing RLM's stuff as simply complaining about plotholes isn't giving them enough credit. They are more than willing to forgive plotholes where they don't really affect the story or quality of the movie.

Also I'm actually glad they've waiting so long to release this. TLJ is such a polarizing film and for some reason everyone seems to take opinions about it personally.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #253 on: August 28, 2018, 10:33:09 AM »
Dismissing Willems's points as merely dismissing RLM's stuff as simply complaining about plotholes isn't giving him enough credit.

:neverusethis:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: August 28, 2018, 10:38:44 AM »

you win this round, bosk.......

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #255 on: August 28, 2018, 12:56:15 PM »
In my experience, the short RLM reviews (Half in the Bag?) are pretty forgiving. However, the longer Star Wars reviews are really nitpicky. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #256 on: August 28, 2018, 01:00:52 PM »
*stands up and applauds RLM's Last Jedi video*

What a god awful mess that film is, and I couldn't agree more with basically everything it goes over. Fantastic. I would've paid to watch that review in theaters instead of TLJ. At least the review had a point, interesting dialogue, and actually made me laugh. Even the joke about the cat ripping his dick off is more believable than Leia forceing her way to a ship after it had blown up and sent her into space. And her hair is still somehow nice and tidy. SAD!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #257 on: August 28, 2018, 01:03:15 PM »
Then there is this guy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QJRw56cOVw

Apparently, his schtick is basically summarizing/paraphrasing every single scene in a given film, coming up with cutesy but transparently disparaging nicknames for each character, and concluding each and every scene description with the gratuitous insertion of "what the f$*&#?!"  High art.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #258 on: August 28, 2018, 01:39:48 PM »
Then there is this guy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QJRw56cOVw

Apparently, his schtick is basically summarizing/paraphrasing every single scene in a given film, coming up with cutesy but transparently disparaging nicknames for each character, and concluding each and every scene description with the gratuitous insertion of "what the f$*&#?!"  High art.

I didn't make it a minute into that because the swearing was so cringey. I'm fine with swearing for emphasis, but that was just annoying.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #259 on: August 28, 2018, 01:51:08 PM »
I don't feel the need to watch every rage filled fanboy rant, that I come across in the youtube..

But RLM always makes me laugh, whether it is Best of The Worst, Plinkett Review or on of their comedy skits! I liked the movie, but this review constantly made me crack, especially the part where Finn is explaining he's plan to Poe and they just loop "So we blow that one up" :lol

And yes, TLJ is a flawed film, but a flawed film I happen to like!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #260 on: September 01, 2018, 06:25:44 AM »
I'm watching Jurassic Park with RLM's commentary and it's crazy, I've seen this movie so many times and for the first time ever I noticed a jump cut during the T. Rex chase and Mike brings it up in the commentary.  I've never seen this error mentioned.

Really entertaining commentary though.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #261 on: October 16, 2018, 01:56:38 PM »
https://youtu.be/b5ZchzyDPJw

Holy shit! The RLM guys are not taking any prisoners. :lol

New Nerd Crew, watch at your own discretion..

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #262 on: October 16, 2018, 02:15:32 PM »
Serious question:  Does anyone actually find that funny?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: October 16, 2018, 04:08:10 PM »
Yes.

Edit: It's pretty clear a big part of their style of humor isn't for everyone. A lot of what Mike does is overtly obnoxious and repetitive to push from "funny" to "okay enough I get it" to "okay why is this still happening" to this nebulous ironic and self aware exaggeration/over the top/beat the horse to death bit. He's not the only person I know of even in the past 20 years to use that kind of humor, and a lot of people hate it. That's just one example, but it's used to the nines in the Nerd Crew series.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:20:39 PM by Implode »

Online Adami

« Reply #264 on: October 16, 2018, 04:22:35 PM »

I think it also depends on how much you follow other youtube or podcast stations that they're making fun of. I do, and I find RLM's mocking of them to be pretty funny. In fact, many of the youtube people I watch have referenced the Nerd Crew as being hilarious, even though they are the ones being mocked.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #265 on: October 16, 2018, 05:07:53 PM »
I got a laugh out of it the first couple times, but for me its kind of run its course.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #266 on: October 16, 2018, 10:01:39 PM »

I think it also depends on how much you follow other youtube or podcast stations that they're making fun of. I do, and I find RLM's mocking of them to be pretty funny. In fact, many of the youtube people I watch have referenced the Nerd Crew as being hilarious, even though they are the ones being mocked.

**coughcoughCOLLIDERJEDICOUNCILcoughcoughcough****

Online Adami

« Reply #267 on: October 16, 2018, 10:07:49 PM »
Oh yea. I love Collider. I’m not a big enough star wars fan to watch Jedi Council, but people on Collider can be very.....enthusiastic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #268 on: October 17, 2018, 02:45:20 AM »
I thought the first few Nerd Crew were funny because if you are familiar with the people they poke fun at (Collider, Screen Junkies etc) it hits the nail on the head for how those people act. I used to watch many of the collider show daily but it eventually becomes too much. I love Star Wars and Superhero movies but I see them for what they are IMO (popcorn entertainment) and some of these people are so enthusiastic and would put a movie like Black Panther up against the best movies ever made.

Personally I wouldn't mind if they stopped doing Nerd Crew or Plinkett reviews to focus on HitB/BotW/Re:View as those are the best ones IMO. Yeah the prequel trilogy Plinkett reviews are amazing but I don't think the more recent Plinkett reviews have been as good, I would assume cause of how much time probably went into the prequel ones, at a time before they did all the other shows. I could imagine doing a Plinkett review as thorough and deep analyzing now would be harder while also filming HitB and BotW every week. I would be interested in something like the Matrix sequels for Plinkett to tackle though. Could be some interesting discussions as for how that franchise went so off course and crashed and burned.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #269 on: October 17, 2018, 06:04:14 AM »
I thought the first few Nerd Crew were funny because if you are familiar with the people they poke fun at (Collider, Screen Junkies etc) it hits the nail on the head for how those people act. I used to watch many of the collider show daily but it eventually becomes too much. I love Star Wars and Superhero movies but I see them for what they are IMO (popcorn entertainment) and some of these people are so enthusiastic and would put a movie like Black Panther up against the best movies ever made.

Personally I wouldn't mind if they stopped doing Nerd Crew or Plinkett reviews to focus on HitB/BotW/Re:View as those are the best ones IMO. Yeah the prequel trilogy Plinkett reviews are amazing but I don't think the more recent Plinkett reviews have been as good, I would assume cause of how much time probably went into the prequel ones, at a time before they did all the other shows. I could imagine doing a Plinkett review as thorough and deep analyzing now would be harder while also filming HitB and BotW every week. I would be interested in something like the Matrix sequels for Plinkett to tackle though. Could be some interesting discussions as for how that franchise went so off course and crashed and burned.

I'll have the occasional laugh with The nerd crew, but you are right it has pretty much run it's course.

BotW, HitB and Re:View are why I'm subscribed to their channel. Speaking of which, the Halloween Spooktacular should be right around the corner!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #270 on: December 03, 2018, 01:10:32 PM »
https://youtu.be/Ld-aisAWtmw

Okay, this is a really cool thing for RLM fans! Longtime viewers of RLM have heard about the legend of Rich Evans "Dick the birthday boy", and Showbiz pizza bear.

Well it turns out that the Showbiz pizza bear in the picture is Julia Roberts! :lol