Author Topic: RedLetterMedia Thread  (Read 27309 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
RedLetterMedia Thread
« on: November 25, 2015, 08:00:56 AM »
I know there are a few other fans on this board of their content, and they create a hell of a lot more than what is occasionally mentioned in the Star Wars thread, so here. Let's have a thread.

For those that don't know, RLM is a group of people that create mostly online content focused around reviewing movies as well as some films by themselves. They are most known for Mike Stolklasa's Mr. Plinkett reviews but also have a number of other series that are just as entertaining.

Their most recent release is an interview with Max Landis, the guy behind American Ultra, a film that was criticized heavily in one of their Half the Bag episodes. Many people are split on this, but I actually found it very entertaining to get his side on what transpired over making the film and the spats on Twitter. It's obvious he's very passionate about what he does and is very frustrated by his limitations. I also think it'should great that RLM allowed him to come out and say his piece even if they don'the agree with all of it. Thoughts?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:31:25 AM by Implode »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: RedLetterMedia Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 08:46:26 AM »
Been a fan since 2011 or 2012, they're great. One of my favorites on the web even. I like Half in the Bag and Best of the Worst the most, but I revisit the Plinkett prequel-reviews once a year or so. Great stuff!  :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 10:30:01 AM »
Hey Implode it's MAX Landis and yeah I just watched it.

A film friend on Twitter implored me to watch their Jack & Jill review in full and I assumed from the running time it would just be two guys going " hur hur hur this fuckin sucks LOL "

Little did I know how interesting and insightful and entertaining and subtle it would be.

They're basically the opposite of The Nostalgia Critic who has to scream at you and run around and I cannot stand it at all.

Since then i've watched probably every Half in the Bag and Best of/ Wheel of The Worst they've done. I also really like Pre Rec.

Yeah i'm a big fan.

Edit : And yeah the Star Wars Prequel reviews are just great.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 10:35:44 AM »
Hey Implode it's MAX Landis and yeah I just watched it.

Fork in the brain. I got Mike on the brain.

They're basically the opposite of The Nostalgia Critic who has to scream at you and run around and I cannot stand it at all.

Agreed. I will acknowledge the NC does try to dig a little deeper, but it all comes across as being so simple or surface level. RLM does go a lot further in their analysis in a way where their videos almost feel educational to a point. But more than that, what I love about their reviews is that rarely, even when they are dead set on an opinion, does it feel like they are the end all judgement on movies. They acknowledge their own shortcomings and biases constantly which imo gives them even more credit.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 10:41:20 AM »
Yeah and even when they review terrible movies - it's not *just* 30 minutes of " this is horrible ".

*IF* there's any good points to be made - they'll make them as well.

It's never THIS MOVIE SUCKS. It's like " This movie failed to deliver and here's why. "

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 11:09:53 AM »
Having seen many of Nostalgia Critic's videos, I will partially defend him. I think he has a lot of valid views and actually notices a lot of interesting things, the problem is he presents it in the most obnoxious way. Whenever he gets all shouty it becomes really annoying, but in the videos where he stays calm 99% of the time (like his Room review) he is actually really good. I get that he plays a character, but the character just ends up being really annoying sometimes. If Doug presented his opinions in a less abrasive way, I think I would like him much more.

Still, I like the RLM guys much more.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 11:22:22 AM »
Doug has been a guest a few times recently on The Angry Video Game Nerd's show and he's just as shouty and IM SO FUNNY as he is when he's NC. . . .  :\

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 09:40:42 PM »
Just watched the first four Wheel of the Worst videos. Outstanding.

Offline TL

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 10:22:57 PM »
Definitely a big RLM fan. The first thing of theirs that I saw was their Phantom Menace review.

Half In the Bag is pretty great. As has been said, they tend to have interesting insights, and generally seem to actually know what they're talking about, while also bringing a bit of humor to it. I really like the format too, framing it as just two (or occasionally a few more) friends chatting about movies.
I think one of the key elements to what they do; they focus on doing film critique, with a touch of humor, where most 'internet movie reviewer' people are mostly focused on 'look how wacky/funny I am' with maybe a hint of critique.

Doug has been a guest a few times recently on The Angry Video Game Nerd's show and he's just as shouty and IM SO FUNNY as he is when he's NC. . . .
One thing I find interesting about the Angry Video Game Nerd/James Rolfe; He's gotten progressively less and less 'angry' over the past few years, as well as doing more and more videos out of character. Turns out he's actually a very knowledgeable, insightful guy. He also seems to have enough self awareness to know that the original AVGN schtick was entertaining for a bit, but that to give the whole thing longevity, it would be a good idea to be a bit more informative/substantive.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 11:10:20 PM »
I love Redlettermedia and Nostalgia Critic!  :mehlin Half in the bag always makes my day (if it's not something music related)
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Online Polarbear

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 02:06:25 AM »
Yeah, i definitely love RedLetterMedia! Their Star Wars prequel reviews are classic, but Best of the Worst might be my favorite thing that they do.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 04:42:54 AM »
Mother of god, do I love RLM  :hefdaddy

what started as amazing features on the prequel trilogy evolved into my favorite review show Half in the bag. Its like this site was made specifically for me and my type of humor. I just absolutely love it  :heart

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 10:09:51 AM »

Wait til you get to the Osteoporosis Dance episode.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 10:11:23 AM »

One thing I find interesting about the Angry Video Game Nerd/James Rolfe; He's gotten progressively less and less 'angry' over the past few years, as well as doing more and more videos out of character. Turns out he's actually a very knowledgeable, insightful guy. He also seems to have enough self awareness to know that the original AVGN schtick was entertaining for a bit, but that to give the whole thing longevity, it would be a good idea to be a bit more informative/substantive.

Someone needs to tell Mike Matei that just sitting in on James' videos and having a foul mouth isn't funny.

It's like - AVGN is funny when he swears because it's in character and it's so over the top.

Mike just sits there swearing and being dirty because he thinks that's funny.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 10:50:18 AM »
What I love about RLM is the sense of them just being themselves on camera and it ends up being great. Take some other movie reviewers online, whether it's Chris Stuckmann, the Schmoes (huge fan of both of these btw), you get a sense of them having written a script beforehand. Going through what they want to say, putting it down on paper and then giving it to us in video format. RLM is a great contrast because even though they do some preparation and research (the Plinkett reviews especially, but also their other videos), they seem a bit more improvisational and just talk about the movies like friends talk about movies. Some of the best moments of RLM have been things you just can't script. Random things that have happened, spur of the moment situations like Rich making his prank calls for example.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 04:39:43 PM »
Yeah there's no fast cuts or anything like that. If one of them fumbles a line - they sometimes leave it in.

I love how they get interview footage of actors just not having a clue what to say or putting their foot in their mouth.

Like Jesse Eisenberg being asked about Kristen Stewart and he goes " i think she's a wonderful actress and err.................." and then they cut. :lol

Or in their " The Visit " review they find an interview with M. Night Shyamalan and he goes " Old People are funny and scary and err I eerr Um.. "

I love it.

Actually that's one of my favourite things about the Plinkett reviews is when he interrupts himself.

" Hey - why's he there ? It doesn't make any se...Number three "  :rollin

It reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Moe gets a new handsome face and at the end a door falls on him and he gets his original face back.

Moe goes " how come I got my old face back and not some horrible mangled new face ? It doesn't make any se..." CREDITS :lol

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 04:49:53 PM »
And I also like how in Half In The Bag, they usually have little sub-plot skits before they actually get to discussing the movies, it's usually self-deprecating or insulting Rich  :lol
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 04:51:22 PM »
And I also like how in Half In The Bag, they usually have little sub-plot skits before they actually get to discussing the movies, it's usually self-deprecating or insulting Rich  :lol

Yeah it's ok but i'm a bit tired of those now. They need a new storyline :P

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 04:57:09 PM »

Wait til you get to the Osteoporosis Dance episode.

That was amazing. The one that really got me was in episode 8 where they're discussing Eddie Eagle and what would happen if he looked into a window too late and there was just a kid standing there next to a body.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 05:40:37 PM »
I just rewatched the Star Wars Holiday Special episodes, yes both the fake and real ones. They are so excellent.

Jay: "Is Life Day a little too close to Kwanzaa?"
Rich: "No actually Life Day is few weeks earlier, so they really aren't that close."

:rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 12:53:51 AM »
I really wanna know how they afford that building. It can't be from Youtube money. They must do other jobs too.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 02:07:27 AM »
I really wanna know how they afford that building. It can't be from Youtube money. They must do other jobs too.

They bring in some money through Patreon I guess. I have a feeling that RLM is the job for Mike and Jay, but that Rich/Jack/Wizard/Jessie all have jobs on the side, hence why we don't always see them in videos, and they show up on a rotating schedule. With Mike and Jay, they're pretty much always doing something. Remember that we have gotten a consistent release of Half in the Bags and Best of the Worsts this year, in the middle of them filming and editing Space Cop as well.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2015, 08:53:03 AM »
I agree with Zante rather really.

And I was up in Milwaukee (going back today) and had a chance to drink Spotted Cow, one of the beers we see them drinking constanly. It's decent.

Does anyone know why Rich doesn't drink? Not that it's really important to know personal details, but I'm curious, mainly because there are so many weird rumors about his family.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2015, 12:21:48 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ9GseSRcUU

Mike and Jay review Creed & Victor Frankenstein.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 03:23:19 PM »
Its great to have a new episode.

wish they would have done spectre though. Oh well

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »

wish they would have done creed and spectre though. Oh well

I wonder if they have anything special planned for Half In The Bag 100. The Force Awakens ?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 03:27:42 PM »
That would be perfect timing and one hell of a 100th episode

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2015, 03:48:21 PM »

wish they would have done creed and spectre though. Oh well

I wonder if they have anything special planned for Half In The Bag 100. The Force Awakens ?

Please!!!!! I really hope so, that would be EPIC timing  :lol
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Coolcat

• I love ALL kids!!
  • I Love Babies!!
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 07:22:45 PM »
Redlettermedia is ok, they're not bullies and they know humour  :lol
"If you weren't a bully, you would have friends and friends are Coooooolll!!!" - me

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gun-self-defense-for-women#/

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2015, 09:47:32 PM »

They bring in some money through Patreon I guess. I have a feeling that RLM is the job for Mike and Jay, but that Rich/Jack/Wizard/Jessie all have jobs on the side, hence why we don't always see them in videos, and they show up on a rotating schedule. With Mike and Jay, they're pretty much always doing something. Remember that we have gotten a consistent release of Half in the Bags and Best of the Worsts this year, in the middle of them filming and editing Space Cop as well.
I read somewhere that Mike and Jay film wedding videos on the side. Probably not all they do, but I'm sure it pays really well.

Btw, for people who don't like NC's style, I've found his videos out of character are way more interesting and he has a quite a few of those. He also does a series where he reviews movies and TV shows with his brother, which is more of a discussion based thing. Kinda like Half in the Bag but without the humor.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2015, 10:02:28 PM »
Doug is a really smart and cool guy; his reviews out of character are really great and he has a lot of cool insights and stuff.

I enjoy the NC most of the time, but I can see how the character might grate on people.

Offline Coolcat

• I love ALL kids!!
  • I Love Babies!!
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2015, 10:10:28 PM »
Doug  :hefdaddy
"If you weren't a bully, you would have friends and friends are Coooooolll!!!" - me

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gun-self-defense-for-women#/

Offline Illegalastronaught

• Buzz
  • I am not of this world
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
"That's one small step for man" - Hollywood

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 06:36:10 AM »
Nope. Just tried to watch a NC review and less than 5 mins into a 30 min review and he's already SCREAMING.

Nope.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 01:59:23 PM »
Can you link me one of those? I've seen AVGN but don't really like the style. Is it like that?