1 (1%)
Black Clouds & Silver Linings
5 (5.2%)
A Dramatic Turn Of Events
0 (0%)
Dream Theater
4 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Best mix/sounding DT album?  (Read 4287 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Best mix/sounding DT album?
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2015, 09:59:14 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MajorBoobage

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2015, 03:13:04 AM »
Just listened to SDOIT again, i donīt like production on that one. To me it feels somehow clinical, i donīt know how to explain it. Octavarium is miles better to my ears in terms of production.   :-\
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2015, 06:45:03 AM »
I think FII has the most organic sound, but Awake just has a lot more mojo. Everything just sounds PHAT on that one, and still it's very dynamic and clear.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2015, 09:12:53 AM »
I've always thought of "Falling Into Infinity" as the gold standard for production. It's part of why I love that album so much. I really, really never understood any of the negativity toward that album. I absolutely love it, and the stellar production certainly helps.

In terms of drum production specifically, I think "Train of Thought" is the best. I love how the drums pop on that album.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2015, 09:49:38 AM »
I really don't get how much production love Awake receives. Guitar, bass and vocals are stellar as all (or most) of the time, but there are some terrible keyboard decisions, and Portnoy's snare sound is absolutely destroyed by the ridiculous gated reverb – particularly the very end of "The Mirror" reprise.

I love so much of the music itself, though, so I kinda wonder if that sways people to forgive some of the production problems.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2015, 05:47:24 AM »
FII
BC&SL
SDOIT

Offline Art

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2015, 05:56:08 AM »
FII by a long shot. SDOIT is very good, too.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2015, 06:04:15 AM »
Black Clouds is a decent sounding album. It's not as hot and dry as Systematic Chaos and nowhere near as compressed as DT12.

It's probably their last album with great sonics.

It's s shame because up until MP left the band - I associated Dream Theater with great sounding albums.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2015, 06:32:42 AM »
Black Clouds is a decent sounding album. It's not as hot and dry as Systematic Chaos and nowhere near as compressed as DT12.

It's probably their last album with great sonics.

It's s shame because up until MP left the band - I associated Dream Theater with great sounding albums.

I remember being blown away by the production on BC&SL. Compared to SC it was a big step up. The guitars sound "wider", for lack of a better term, and the drums have a nice reverb. The only thing I don't like is the inconsistency of the bass tone. I hear this powerful, deep low end, but as soon as JM starts playing mid/high range notes, his tone disappears into the mix and It's very difficult to discern him from the overall sound.

For best mix, I'm going to pick 8VM. I couldn't even explain in words why I chose it, so I'll just say it's my favorite.

1. 8VM
2. FII
3. ToT
4. BC&SL
5. I&W
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2015, 06:54:31 AM »
The thing I keep coming back to is that Octavarium sounds widescreen. It sounds like they recorded it outdoors. Not least on " These Walls ".

Whereas in comparison - Systematic Chaos sounds like it was recorded in a box.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2015, 12:07:58 PM »
Man, I actually love the drums on DT12, its like the 2015 version of I&W.  :-X

I'm surprised not more love for SDOIT, esp disc one!  :metal

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »
The thing I keep coming back to is that Octavarium sounds widescreen. It sounds like they recorded it outdoors.

However it was recorded, I love it.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.