Poll

Which of the unreleased songs written for FII was the best?

Raise The Knife
34 (50.7%)
Where Are You Now
2 (3%)
The Way It Used To Be
10 (14.9%)
Cover My Eyes
4 (6%)
Speak To Me
17 (25.4%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: FII Demos Ranking  (Read 3867 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: FII Demos Ranking
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2015, 09:42:38 AM »
You guys are all wacky for putting Cover My Eyes so low.  Yeah, it's concise, and under 6:00 but has everything:  crunch, a great melody, one of James' best vocals... even the lyric isn't bad for DT standards (if not still relatively incomprehensible).
Stadler, you are LITERALLY the only person I have ever heard of who likes that song as much as you do.

I mean, it's OK, but the demo version isn't even the best version of that song - the live, acoustic version from FYIALT completely slays the demo.  And the song is still just OK at best, when compared to the rest of their output.

You are certainly entitled to whatever favorite song you want, but by no means is anyone else wacky for favoring anything else.

+1

The live acoustic version so much better than what ended up in the demo cd. Actually, I think the acoustic arrangements on the FYIALT video slay the demo versions, including Speak To Me and Cover My Eyes. 

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2015, 10:16:32 AM »
You guys are all wacky for putting Cover My Eyes so low.  Yeah, it's concise, and under 6:00 but has everything:  crunch, a great melody, one of James' best vocals... even the lyric isn't bad for DT standards (if not still relatively incomprehensible).
Stadler, you are LITERALLY the only person I have ever heard of who likes that song as much as you do.

I mean, it's OK, but the demo version isn't even the best version of that song - the live, acoustic version from FYIALT completely slays the demo.  And the song is still just OK at best, when compared to the rest of their output.

You are certainly entitled to whatever favorite song you want, but by no means is anyone else wacky for favoring anything else.

Cover My Eyes is one of my favorite songs by DT as well. I agree that the live acoustic version is fantastic if not better than the original, but I agree with Stads that it's one of their best. In fact, I used it as my username on the old Voices UK messageboard.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2015, 12:34:12 PM »
the live, acoustic version from FYIALT completely slays the demo.  And the song is still just OK at best, when compared to the rest of their output.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I heard the FYIALT version first and loved it. Then when I heard the demo version, I was somewhat disappointed.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2015, 03:49:43 PM »
I so wish someday the acoustic fan club is show is released officially. Those are some of DT's best hidden gems.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2015, 04:40:11 PM »
I so wish someday the acoustic fan club is show is released officially. Those are some of DT's best hidden gems.

The quality of the unofficial releases are pretty damn good. 

Offline Mastermax0213

• Dream Theater, no 1 prog band.
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2015, 09:50:31 PM »
Raise the Knife has been in my heart for all these years. Raise the knife could've replaced almost any song except lines, tears, and hk.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2015, 06:32:10 AM »

Oh, I know.  Maybe it didn't come off that way, but I meant that all in fun.  It's fun to talk about, but I'm usually the guy saying "you like what you like, leave it alone!"   Hell, I'm the guy in the Def Leppard thread defending Mutt Lange and Shania Twain over High and Dry! (Even though High and Dry is my favorite Leppard album).

I will say, though, there is something about that song that gets me.  I love that song as much as I say here.  I put on "Cleaning..." in the car and just BLAST it, singing along... it's one of the things I love so much about music.  It just takes me somewhere else, and I can't explain it. 

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2015, 06:43:34 AM »
Oh definitely, I think we all have that one song (or several) that just takes us somewhere else, for me, not a Dream Theater song, but I know the feeling.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2015, 07:01:18 AM »
I am so with Stadler regarding Cover my eyes. Why someone decided to cut it from the album when the album was supposed to have mainstream appeal is beyond me. It could have been the perfect hit single.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2015, 08:35:56 AM »

Oh, I know.  Maybe it didn't come off that way, but I meant that all in fun.  It's fun to talk about, but I'm usually the guy saying "you like what you like, leave it alone!"   Hell, I'm the guy in the Def Leppard thread defending Mutt Lange and Shania Twain over High and Dry! (Even though High and Dry is my favorite Leppard album).

I will say, though, there is something about that song that gets me.  I love that song as much as I say here.  I put on "Cleaning..." in the car and just BLAST it, singing along... it's one of the things I love so much about music.  It just takes me somewhere else, and I can't explain it.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.