Poll

Which of the unreleased songs written for FII was the best?

Raise The Knife
34 (50.7%)
Where Are You Now
2 (3%)
The Way It Used To Be
10 (14.9%)
Cover My Eyes
4 (6%)
Speak To Me
17 (25.4%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: FII Demos Ranking  (Read 3860 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

FII Demos Ranking
« on: November 19, 2015, 10:55:29 PM »
Which of the songs written for FII, but never got reworked into anything else, was the best?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Mladen

Re: FII Demos Ranking
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 01:20:56 AM »
Raise the knife, although I love Cover my eyes (could have been a hit, what a mistake to not include it) and The Way it used to be. The other two are also very good, better than most of FII in my opinion.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 02:45:01 AM »
Cover My Eyes for me without a doubt!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 02:45:50 AM »
I kind of like Speak To Me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 06:05:24 AM »
It's a toss up between Raise the Knife and The Way It Used To Be, but I chose the latter.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 06:06:30 AM »
Cover My Eyes is in my Top Five DT songs of all time (maybe even number one) so I'm going to go with that.  Raise The Knife would be second.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 06:10:33 AM »
Nice to see the different opinions here.  For me though, Raise the Knife is far above any of the other ones.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 06:20:53 AM »
RTK is the only one I'd even say I like, so that by default.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 07:02:51 AM »
1. Raise the Knife
2. The Way It Used to Be
3. Speak to Me
4. Cover My Eyes
5. Where Are You Now
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 08:25:23 AM »
Speak to Me is glorious.

Raise the Knife is also awesome.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:48:15 AM by hefdaddy42 »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 08:30:40 AM »
I always had a soft spot for Where are you now...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 09:34:40 AM »
Speak to Me with Where Are You Now? not far behind.The melodies in WAYN are great.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 09:49:56 AM »
Raise The Knife :metal

It's really the only track that says This Is Dream Theater. Most of the other songs are nice enough, but they all feel not very serious, with the maybe exception of Speak To Me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 10:36:37 AM »
Honestly, with the exception of "Where Are You Now" which is just so-so, these are all top-notch Dream Theater songs. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 12:20:35 PM »
Honestly, with the exception of "Where Are You Now" which is just so-so, these are all top-notch Dream Theater songs.
That is certainly the least of them, IMHO, and all the rest are pretty good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 12:21:45 PM »
I like all these songs. Speak to Me (which I picked) and Cover My Eyes are my favorites. The Way We Used to Be and Raise the Knife would be the next best batch. I like RTK, but I've never understood the "It's the greatest DT song never released" hype. Kind of like how I feel about Scarred. It all sounds to me like "ITS LONG SO ITS GOOD." Short songs can be good; in fact, my opinion is that these shorter ones are better!

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant. :blush
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 12:31:25 PM »
I don't think I've heard them more than once. Didn't particularly enjoy that one time either.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 12:33:10 PM »
Voted for Speak to Me for the underdog effect, I noticed Raise the Knife was in the lead already... but both songs are excellent. Speak to Me is my favorite ballad of that era probably, even more or at least on par with Hollow Years, and Raise the Knife is a great song with a strong chorus and very interesting verses, love the "Reading through all of the digests you show me" section for example.

Cover My Eyes is a nice short rocking song, maybe they should have went all the way in making it heavy, I agree it could have had a chance at airplay.

The other two songs I can live without, they're not bad by any means but it's not that I think "Meh if only they'd have been on the album instead".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 12:33:40 PM »
Speak To Me

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 01:08:31 PM »
1. Raise the Knife
2. The Way It Used to Be
3. Speak to Me
4. Cover My Eyes
5. Where Are You Now

Identical to mine with the exception of the first two being swapped.  :metal

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 02:48:42 PM »
Speak to Me is my favorite ballad of that era probably, even more or at least on par with Hollow Years,
Well that's not exactly saying much.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2015, 03:54:56 PM »
Well, there are Speak to Me, Hollow Years, Anna Lee, Take Away My Pain and if you see it as a slowish song, Where Are You Now... I'd trade Anna Lee or Take Away My Pain in a heartbeat to have Speak to Me on the album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 06:49:58 PM »
Based on the actual demos, Raise the Knife is the best.

Based on the best version of any of them, I might take the live version of Speak to Me from 5 Years... over anything.  The live acoustic version of Cover My Eyes is great, too.  Massive upgrades over the demos, neither of which were that good for either of those songs.

The Way It Used to Be is pretty darn good, especially that Camel-esque keyboard solo.

Where Are You Now? is good, although it has a few awkward vocal passages, that likely would have been cleaned up had the song ever been reworked.

Calvin6s

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2015, 07:56:01 PM »
1.  Metropolis Part 2:  Not even close
2. Speak to Me: Demonstration of how simply nailing the melody to perfection trumps everything in pop songcraft as the structure and accompaniment is pretty straightforward (yet supportive).  Melody is king.
3.  Cover My Eyes: Better structure and accompaniment.  Even really great melody, but Speak to Me melody was perfection
4.  The Way It Used to Be: Same attributes of Cover My Eyes, but slightly less so
5.  Raise the Knife:  The most DT (of that era) like, but weak tea DT.  And sometimes it seems to meander.
6.  Where are you Now: Way behind all the others.  It is actually promising, but somehow not missing the mark and would probably take a major rewrite to compete with the others.

For all the (at the time) talk of how these songs should have been on FII instead of half the songs that made it to DT, that really was DT fanboyism.  Heard the talk of being forced in a pop direction, but the ones left off were the most mainstream pop of FII+Demos.

Speak to Me could have replaced one of the other ballads.  Especially with further embellishment (but not too much).  Cover My Eyes might have replaced another ballad as well (FII was ballad heavy).  Beyond that, FII was about right for the time.

Finally, I think being forced to really work on pop songcraft I think helped their future songwriting, so it wasn't all for not.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 06:14:28 AM »
Well, ironically I think the impositions from the label spawned two great results:

1) Hell's Kitchen - removing an instrumental section from what was otherwise a straightforward rocking song made them create the beautiful ending that flows nicely into Lines in the Sand, it would have been a pity to never hear that
2) No double album > Metropolis pt.2 demo being shelved > SCENES FROM A MEMORY!

A good price to pay for all the turmoil the band went through, I'd say (and it seems that Portnoy was the one that suffered most for it, the others took it better, especially Petrucci)

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 10:10:18 AM »
Have DT ever release those demos officially? where can I find in good quality, other than youtube?

Offline MirrorMask

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
https://www.ytsejamrecords.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=26&idcategory=6

Thank! Thats very interesting, Ive always heard around here of the YtzeJam records but never actually seen it. Is it still running? it seems like MP was the one who ran it, so whos in charge now? Hes also still registered as a band member so it seems kinda deserted.

Anyway, 20$ for a few Demos is a bit steep me thinks, so ill pass for now. Those Live sets though, they really seem interesting, Ill consider them.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2015, 05:07:22 PM »
https://www.ytsejamrecords.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=26&idcategory=6

Thank! Thats very interesting, Ive always heard around here of the YtzeJam records but never actually seen it. Is it still running? it seems like MP was the one who ran it, so whos in charge now? Hes also still registered as a band member so it seems kinda deserted.

Anyway, 20$ for a few Demos is a bit steep me thinks, so ill pass for now. Those Live sets though, they really seem interesting, Ill consider them.

Check eBay.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2015, 05:37:12 PM »
I prefer the live version of Speak to Me...Love it.

As far as the actual demos, my ranking order would be:

-Raise the Knife
-Speak to Me
-Where Are You Know
-The way it used to be
-Cover my Eyes

Offline jammindude

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2015, 05:59:55 PM »
1. Raise the Knife
2. The Way It Used to Be
3. Speak to Me
4. Cover My Eyes
5. Where Are You Now

This may be the first time you and I have agreed on something so EXACTLY!   :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2015, 06:04:28 PM »
My ranking :

1. Speak to Me
2. Where Are You Now
3. Raise the Knife (prefer live versions)
4. The Way It Used to Be
5. Cover My Eyes

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2015, 09:44:19 PM »
1. Raise the Knife
2. The Way It Used to Be
3. Speak to Me
4. Cover My Eyes
5. Where Are You Now

This may be the first time you and I have agreed on something so EXACTLY!   :rollin
Yay! I guess you're not so bad after all then!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2015, 07:20:33 AM »
You guys are all wacky for putting Cover My Eyes so low.  Yeah, it's concise, and under 6:00 but has everything:  crunch, a great melody, one of James' best vocals... even the lyric isn't bad for DT standards (if not still relatively incomprehensible).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2015, 08:47:14 AM »
You guys are all wacky for putting Cover My Eyes so low.  Yeah, it's concise, and under 6:00 but has everything:  crunch, a great melody, one of James' best vocals... even the lyric isn't bad for DT standards (if not still relatively incomprehensible).
Stadler, you are LITERALLY the only person I have ever heard of who likes that song as much as you do.

I mean, it's OK, but the demo version isn't even the best version of that song - the live, acoustic version from FYIALT completely slays the demo.  And the song is still just OK at best, when compared to the rest of their output.

You are certainly entitled to whatever favorite song you want, but by no means is anyone else wacky for favoring anything else.