Author Topic: Dream Theater Hair  (Read 18043 times)

Offline porcacultor

Re: Dream Theater Hair
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2015, 06:53:45 AM »
I wish Rudess would've kept the moustache. I can't say why, he looks friendlier with it (but he's always smiling and pleasant so I forget that at times).

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2015, 01:36:59 PM »
Myung is a giant tortoise

Death is the First Dancing Turtle
Myung is the Last Standing Tortoise

METROPOLIS PT. 3: THE ASTONISHING TORTOISE CONFIRMED
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2015, 09:43:38 PM »
Well here's my participation: (the answer is in the url)  ;)
He changes basses a lot (or at least used to when I still paid attention).  So I'm gonna say his bass model is going to give away more than Myung himself.

That was the black clothes, straight long hair era.
Agreed Calvin - the bass will be the key to guessing a fairly accurate year. For the above picture, I actually was gonna guess somewhere between 2002 and 2006. But it could've been 2007 - that was right when JM was switching from Yamaha to Music Man basses. He was playing a 5-string Bongo bass on that tour, but still played his 6-string Yamahas (with the MM-style pickup) when necessary since EB/MM was still working on the 6-string Bongo bass for him (which I believe premiered for the 2007 North American late summer tour leg).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2015, 09:55:59 PM »
JP's best look by far is from the ToT era, as seen on the Budokan DVD - shorter, spiky hair on top, goatee.  He should bring that back (especially since the long hair look looks really bad once your hairline recedes too much).

Offline r0cken

« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2015, 03:28:14 AM »
I absolutely hated the short hair on JP. Spiky or not. Hated it on MP too.
I'm all for longer hair. The longer the better.

I'm content with how they look in the last few years. I like this dark-intense-bearded-metal-dudes look:

Offline jimbosile

« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2015, 05:29:24 AM »
My favourite JP look was when he was at his absolute biggest, probably around 08-10 maybe, with long, straight hair. Fucking boss

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2015, 02:00:14 PM »
There comes a point where you just get too old to have long hair.  I hate to say it, but I think a lot of the guys in the band are past that point.  Mangini and Petrucci, at least.  It looks a little ratty, TBH.  I wish JP would go back to the shorter look of the early 2000s.

LaBrie can still sort of rock it, and Myung's hair is so straight, he can probably get away with it forever.

I think it's funny and ironic that you said that some guys are too old to have long hair, but that James, who is 52, still looks good that way, but Petrucci, who is still in his 40's, should cut it.

My two cents:

-I think James looks okay, but maybe he should try the shorter hairstyle like he had during the FII tour, just to see how it goes.

-I agree that Mangini's hair is awfully "ratty," and he should maybe go back to the shorter style that I've seen in some of those older pictures of him.

-It would be interesting to see Myung try a really short hairstyle. He looks too much like a girl.

-Petrucci looks okay, as long as he keeps his BEARD trimmed. The "crew-cut" look he had back around '04 made him look like a little boy, but a shorter haircut might look good, as long as it isn't THAT short.

-I wish Jordan would at least let a little "fuzz" grow on top of his head. I've never really liked or gotten used to the skin job.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2015, 02:05:13 PM »
I don't care one bit what their head looks like.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline arkdtmp

• Eat My Ass and Balls
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2015, 03:22:34 PM »
This thread can't be without this famous jp pic 

MY NAME....

..is ANTONIO BANDERAS!!!      :rollin :rollin :lol :rollin :mehlin

Offline arkdtmp

• Eat My Ass and Balls
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2015, 03:27:38 PM »

JP's and MP's best looks for me

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2015, 07:33:29 PM »
I don't care one bit what their head looks like.

Um...Okay...but...(Captain Kirk voice:) "THAT'S what this THREAD is FOR!!!"
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2015, 07:46:14 PM »
*In Spock's voice* 

Indeed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2015, 11:30:51 PM »
All I noticed is...
John Myung Awake = 27 years old.

John Myung DT12 = 30 years old. :D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2015, 07:23:02 AM »
In my opinion, @arkdtmp has it right on the mark.

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2015, 09:50:47 AM »

Rare "Clean JR" look found (ok, more like 5 o' clock shadow)