0 (0%)
Bad
3 (14.3%)
a bit stupid
5 (23.8%)
well enought
13 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: I Like DreamTheater so much but... (Opinion&poll)  (Read 1147 times)

I Like DreamTheater so much but... (Opinion&poll)
« on: November 30, 2015, 06:53:17 AM »
First of all please do not blame on me because of my nice grammar mistakes, but. Everybody knows that DT lyrics are the main weak point of the band.
The very weak point, even when sometimes DT lacks of inspiration, passion and creativity,  listening at the lyrics is  always the most forgetable point.
I realized kevin Moore's old lyrics are the most lyrically and poetically nice ones, but J petrucci and for example labrie, they are almost always writing lines which seems to be ... simply dumb, in my opinion.

The most clear case of bad lyrics is related, sadly, to one of the best albums... Scenes From a Memory. Almost Everything is great, but the lyric lines are like touching the ridiculousness... not to mention all the albums that came later... every time i remember , for example, The count of Tuscany i just try not to make a facepalm... that song was... like ... a bit embarrassing, always in my opinion.

But dont misunderstand me, i love DT, they has, without doubt, a godlike skills in metal an progmetal, they are a gift to the hearing everytime they play music live shows, and amazing albums that i love, but seriously... i think dream theater would be greater if the albums hadn't lyrics, at least i mean all the post-Awake lyrics.
Or maybe if they had another dude to write the songs. Cause i like even James Labrie, but singing nice lyrics, and of course not letting him writting more... he is disastrous on it, but not much more as the rest of the guys... well, Portnoy used to write acceptable lyrics, but he's old DT history.

thank you for reading my opinion and i invite you to answer to my poll

Online Mladen

Re: I Like DreamTheater so much but... (Opinion&poll)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 08:26:32 AM »
First of all, the poll options suck.

Second of all, Dream Theater was never really my go-to band when it comes to great lyrics (Rush, Floyd, The Beatles, Maiden among others come first), but their lyrics are fine. The 90s stuff has mostly fantastic lyrics, some of the stuff on Systematic chaos and Black clouds and that particular storytelling approach wasn't really my cup of tea, but with the last two albums (especially A Dramatic turn of events) they went back to putting down some thought provoking words.

Songs like Voices, Beneath the surface, Learning to live, Octavarium, Through her eyes, Disappear, Trial of tears, Under a glass moon and Endless sacrifice would like to have a word with you.