Author Topic: Vinyl  (Read 43647 times)

Offline TTTSTA

• GRRRRR
Re: Vinyl
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 10:34:36 PM »
Do you guys play your vinyl or just collect it?

Well i do both. The cheap-os that i buy for a buck or 2 i listen too, but if i buy new records especially limited editon ones, i leave them sealed.
Sig removed for being too Gaahl!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 10:36:32 PM »
I have Queen's A Night at the Opera on vinyl, I believe (it may be another Queen album).

I used to own a nice record player, but I sold it for some cash. They are really great for listening to music to.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 10:40:27 PM »
I have Queen's A Night at the Opera on vinyl, I believe (it may be another Queen album).

I used to own a nice record player, but I sold it for some cash. They are really great for listening to music to.

Thats an awesome album on vinyl, especially The Prophet's Song.

Offline TTTSTA

• GRRRRR
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 10:42:53 PM »

Thats an awesome album on vinyl, especially The Prophet's Song.

AGREED :metal

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2009, 01:00:29 AM »
I was spinning Thriller earlier today in honor of Michael, but yes, i love my vinyl.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 01:47:28 AM »
I was spinning Thriller earlier today in honor of Michael, but yes, i love my vinyl.

Same! Really good album. Picked up a copy a year ago in a local shop for 99 cents and it plays perfectly

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 03:06:39 AM »

Same! Really good album. Picked up a copy a year ago in a local shop for 99 cents and it plays perfectly

same here, i got it super cheap, and its probably my cleanest sounding record, not to mention the songs are top notch. this is how the 80s should have been. RIP.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 04:32:38 AM »
My Black Clouds & Silver Linings double LP came in last night and boy is it purrrdy.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2009, 01:57:39 PM »
I play 95% of my vinyl.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2009, 10:47:23 PM »
I dunno if you guys can see this because it's on my facebook and you might have to be my friend... but read the comments, I lol'd.
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/photo.php?pid=30237136&id=1242750096&ref=mf

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2009, 12:26:10 AM »
I dunno if you guys can see this because it's on my facebook and you might have to be my friend... but read the comments, I lol'd.
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/photo.php?pid=30237136&id=1242750096&ref=mf

:lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Wazoodust

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2009, 01:22:29 PM »
Do you guys play your vinyl or just collect it?

Both, I don't buy it unless I'm going to listen to it, the only sealed copy that comes to mind for me is Steve Vai's "Passion and Warfare"
Fear is the Mindkiller

Offline Wazoodust

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2009, 08:23:53 PM »
Did anyone else get the LTE vinyl yet?  Holy F$#%!!!! it sounds great
Fear is the Mindkiller

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2009, 01:53:37 AM »
Did anyone else get the LTE vinyl yet?  Holy F$#%!!!! it sounds great

Nope, haven't even heard of it actually.  :blush Which album is it? LTE1? LTE2? Or the new live album? And where can I find a copy? :)

Offline Ouda

• Executive supervisor of FUNK
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2009, 03:40:17 PM »
I'm trying to more vinyls to cover my rooms walls along with the necessary posters.

My mom has a SIGNED prime condition Led Zeppelin vinyl. Unfortunately, she is too paranoid it will be stolen or I will drool over it and ruin it, so she put it in a safe at a bank.

Offline Sputterdude

• Singing A Greater Song
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2009, 04:19:13 PM »

There's nothing cooler than opening, say, Maiden's Live After Death or Kiss Alive 2 and seeing those giant stage photos. ...

I remember those moments from my youth. I would sit and stare at the photos for hours while listening imagining what it would be like to see them in concert. (I was not allowed to go to see Kiss when Alive II came out- too young).

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2009, 12:16:28 PM »
Bump from the dead! I'm gonna head out to Mr. Cheapo's today on Zep's months-old recommendation :D Hopefully I can get some cool shit.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2009, 01:06:08 PM »
My latest haul from last week was as follows:
Billy Joel - Greatest Hits Volume 1 and 2
Yes - Going for the One
Aerosmtih - Permanent Vacation
Boston - Don't Look Back

I also saw McCartney's debut solo album and the debut Queen album... might go back to pick those up next week. They also had Tomato by Yes but I couldn't tell if it would skip or not. I wish they let you test out the vinyl before you buy it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2009, 10:22:08 PM »
I had a mini vinyl festival while I was cleaning earlier today.

I listened to Rush's All The World's A Stage and Moving Pictures, Marillion's B'Sides Themselves, A Rush boot from the Signals Tour in Rotterdam in 1983 (I forget the name right now) and an episode of Jim Ladd's "Innerview" Radio show featuring Neil Peart talking about Moving Pictures from June 1981.

Analog bliss.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2010, 07:15:40 PM »
My updated Vinyl collection:

Yes - Close to the Edge
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Thrice - The Alchemy Index box set
Sunn 0))) and Boris - Altar
King Crimson - Discipline
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui UXO
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists..
Boris - Pink
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
ISIS - Wavering Radiant
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Converge - Axe to Fall
Choking Victim - No Gods, No Managers
Between the Buried and Me - Colors
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Kayo Dot - Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue

I have been somewhat on a vinyl binge lately. For me it really adds a different level to my music listening experience. It adds a somewhat personal touch to it. I plan on using some of my Christmas money to add a few more to my collection. There is a great store around here that sells hard to find vinyls from experimental and punk bands. 

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2010, 07:52:28 PM »
My updated Vinyl collection:

Yes - Close to the Edge

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Some of the newer vinyls I acquired recently...

Empire Strikes Back Soundtrack
Genesis - And Then There Were Three
Genesis - Abacab
Led Zeppelin - Coda
Stevie Nicks - The Wild Heart
The Police - Reggatta de Blanc
Elton John - Friends
Elton John - A Single Man Picture Disc

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2010, 07:52:43 PM »
My most valuable vinyls would be: #0140 of the 2000 Follow The Reaper (Children Of Bodom) picture vinyls printed, a 1980 pressing of Iron Maiden, but under Harvest Records (they were only printed under Harvest for a very short time), and a limited edition 1989 remaster of Black Sabbath's Sabotage on clear vinyl.  :metal

Offline TTTSTA

• GRRRRR
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2010, 01:07:22 PM »
a 1980 pressing of Iron Maiden, but under Harvest Records (they were only printed under Harvest for a very short time),

I have this aswell! :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2010, 01:34:01 PM »
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over the Sea
God, I wish I had this on vinyl, such a remarkable album.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2010, 01:58:10 PM »
a 1980 pressing of Iron Maiden, but under Harvest Records (they were only printed under Harvest for a very short time),

:metal

One thing I love about Maiden's vinyls is that you can see all the little easter eggs/nuggets/hidden things on the albums. I never noticed the little peace-sign-face thing on the wall behind Eddie, and that that little bin says "LITTER". If you look on the Powerslave vinyl, you can see hieroglyphics of Mickey Mouse, Indiana Jones, the phrase "Not Sid Was Here", and other little things.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2010, 02:37:50 PM »

One thing I love about Maiden's vinyls is that you can see all the little easter eggs/nuggets/hidden things on the albums. I never noticed the little peace-sign-face thing on the wall behind Eddie, and that that little bin says "LITTER". If you look on the Powerslave vinyl, you can see hieroglyphics of Mickey Mouse, Indiana Jones, the phrase "Not Sid Was Here", and other little things.

+1

Wot?  No Guinness?

That vinyl was a good find for me... saw it at a record show for $8 and snapped it right up :)
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline TTTSTA

• GRRRRR
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2010, 03:06:11 PM »

Yeah all the early ones, i have a great maiden collection, I have Maiden Japan on Harvest aswell.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2010, 03:47:27 PM »
As of now, my vinyl collection is
(all original pressings, no remasters)

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (rare 1980 Harvest pressing)
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Black Sabbath - Sabotage (1989 limited edition remaster [clear vinyl])
Children Of Bodom - Follow The Reaper (limited edition picture vinyl, #0140 of 2000)
AC/DC - Back in Black
The Who - Tommy
Van Halen - 1984
Ted Nugent - Free-For-All

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2010, 03:51:35 PM »
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over the Sea
God, I wish I had this on vinyl, such a remarkable album.
Agreed, every song is grade A material, and as a whole the album is unlike any other.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2010, 03:55:55 PM »
Do you guys go record hunting at shops or buy online? I personally enjoy the excitement of not knowing what you're going to find walking into a record store, as apposed to buying online. I like the novelty of sometimes finding crap, and then finding a gem buy looking through piles/shelves and feeling very accomplished. But that's just me.  :D

« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2010, 04:03:27 PM »
Do you guys go record hunting at shops or buy online? I personally enjoy the excitement of not knowing what you're going to find walking into a record store, as apposed to buying online. I like the novelty of sometimes finding crap, and then finding a gem buy looking through piles/shelves and feeling very accomplished. But that's just me.  :D
I go to amazon or ebay for more of the rare records.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2010, 05:10:32 PM »
I'm "kind of" a vinyl collector... I've got about 50 or 60, but a good portion of those are just my mom's old records.  Regardless of where you start, I'd recommend taking a trip to Mr. Cheapos in Commack (Mayfair Shopping Center on Jericho Tpke).  That's where I do the vast majority of my non-online vinyl shopping.  (There's also one in Mineola, but its nowhere near as good as the one in Commack).

Anyway, if you're a Floyd fan, you can't go wrong with the Dark Side of the Moon 30th Anniversary Edition vinyl.  That's as good a place as any to start off your collection :).

Cheapos rocks. I remember back in the late 1990s dropping like $70 bucks there, and walking away with 20 CDs. Not sure if prices are that low still, but yeah.

As for vinyl, I refuse to buy new vinyl unless it is something really special. It's too damn expensive. I buy used vinyl from back in the day all the time, but that's spending 4.99 per LP. This crazy crap with vinyl being 29.99 or some insane amount is ridiculous.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »

I'm fortunate enough that there are still record stores that carry vinyl within an hour or so drive from here. I almost never go in looking for anything. I let it find me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2010, 06:21:01 PM »
Hey Goon, this thread made me laugh. Next you should try Atari! :lol

There's nothing cooler than opening, say, Maiden's Live After Death or Kiss Alive 2 and seeing those giant stage photos. But seriously, CD's are so much more convenient.

Tac, Kiss Avile @ with the tattoo's inside!!!!!!!!  Also the Picture inside when you open the album is one of the best live pics ever.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2010, 05:33:01 PM »
Just bought the original Billy Joel - Cold Spring Harbor pressing for $15. Its a different mix and his vocals are slightly sped up so his voice sounds higher.  :lol Can't wait to listen to it, I've been planning on buying this for some time now.