Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Studio Albums 1992-2011  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Nothingface

Dream Theater: The Studio Albums 1992-2011
« on: November 14, 2015, 11:40:57 PM »
So, DTF, I've been pirating the fuck out of Dream Theater's music the past few months...

Most of the time, the pitch has been raised - making JLB sound more like a woman than he already does. Needless to say, it sounds pretty cool, but I'd rather listen to the music the way it was meant to be.

This conundrum, coupled with the fact that I'd love to own their physical albums (it's almost Christmas, after all), I've been on a search for a conveniently packaged Dream Theater collection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K5DMZLE/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1447567842&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=dream+theater+collection&dpPl=1&dpID=61UEnXKt2RL&ref=plSrch

Apparently, this is my only option, as buying them individually would surely bankrupt me (this is unfair to the other obnoxious prog wank albums on my wish list).

So what does the forum think about this particular item quality-wise? It doesn't contain their debut, the EP, or their s/t, but I could always pick those up at a later date.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 02:14:14 AM by ariich »
Condoms? Um, are they like a dream theater souvenir?  Where can I find those condoms? That'd be really nice to havr.

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Dream Theater: The Studio Albums 1992-2011
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 11:48:07 PM »
Cool post, dude.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 11:49:51 PM »
JLB sounds like a woman?  Dang, I thought he sounded so manly that it scares Chuck Norris.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 11:51:44 PM »
I'm confused. You're asking what we think of a box set including almost all of Dream Theater's albums? You do realize this is a Dream Theater forum?

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 12:06:19 AM »
I'm confused. You're asking what we think of a box set including almost all of Dream Theater's albums? You do realize this is a Dream Theater forum?

For a band like Dream Theater, that is notoriously pompous and over-the-top, one would expect there to be a thesaurus-sized booklet for each CD and other such frills; but apparently, all you get is a flimsy cardboard sleeve protecting each one (without so much as a lyric booklet).

But for about $50, I think I'll live.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 12:15:18 AM by Nothingface »
Condoms? Um, are they like a dream theater souvenir?  Where can I find those condoms? That'd be really nice to havr.

Calvin6s

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 12:46:59 AM »
So you want it cheap, but you don't want them to produce it in a way that keeps it cheap?

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 01:04:38 AM »
So you want it cheap, but you don't want them to produce it in a way that keeps it cheap?

Don't get me wrong, I'm just looking for something reasonably priced and reasonably packaged.

There's cheap, and then there's wrapping each CD in plastic wrap and slapping it inside a cardboard box.

The inner Jew in me is rather conflicted.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 03:04:12 AM by Nothingface »

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 01:51:42 AM »

For a band like Dream Theater, that is notoriously pompous and over-the-top, one would expect there to be a thesaurus-sized booklet for each CD and other such frills; but apparently, all you get is a flimsy cardboard sleeve protecting each one (without so much as a lyric booklet).

But for about $50, I think I'll live.

I would not buy the CDs without booklets...

Calvin6s

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 01:53:11 AM »
If I didn't already have all the CDs, I'd buy that package.  I rip to FLAC and store the CDs anyway.

Album/CD liners were cooler when you couldn't go on the internet and find tons of videos, interviews, album lyrics and band information.  Besides seeing them live, they were your only chance to put a face to the band.  That's just not the case any more.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 02:15:25 AM »
Are you capable of posting without being insulting or showing off about illegally pirating the band's music? Consider this a formal warning.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 02:26:01 AM »
Album/CD liners were cooler when you couldn't go on the internet and find tons of videos, interviews, album lyrics and band information.  Besides seeing them live, they were your only chance to put a face to the band.  That's just not the case any more.

Well, there's that, but I still love me a good booklet to go with an album. I may not read or browse it often, but it evokes a feeling or certain, dunno, satisfaction I guess. The package feels more whole with the full-scale booklet.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 02:28:26 AM »
or showing off about illegally pirating the band's music?

Don't worry, I'll use Spotify for the time being - it's a slightly less fraudulent way to steal their music (plus, it's forum approved!)

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 02:31:04 AM »
Well, if you wanna own the physical copies then might as well get the package, can always fill in the gaps and get missing stuff separately. Personally I got the package so I'd have backup discs for driving and for lending.

Calvin6s

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 02:31:12 AM »
Are you capable of posting without being insulting or showing off about illegally pirating the band's music? Consider this a formal warning.

He's definitely colorful and I swear some of the posts remind me of Blabbermouth comments, but he likes Anacrusis and Thought Industry ... so I'm intrigued.

Calvin6s

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 02:36:24 AM »
Well, there's that, but I still love me a good booklet to go with an album. I may not read or browse it often, but it evokes a feeling or certain, dunno, satisfaction I guess. The package feels more whole with the full-scale booklet.
I used to have that feeling, so I totally get it.  Maybe it's because at 18 I could read the smallest print of a cd booklet in a dark room, but now the room better be pretty well lit  :blush

When I was 18, I could probably name every member (current and past) of my favorite bands.  Now I'm lucky to know the name of one member (of recent bands I like). 

But mainly, if this guy wants the booklets, then pony up the cash.  If not, enjoy the most important part (the music) on the cheap.

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 02:57:40 AM »
I may not read or browse it often, but it evokes a feeling or certain, dunno, satisfaction I guess. The package feels more whole with the full-scale booklet.

Basically this. I'd be more apt to just browse the DT wiki while listening than to touch the booklet, but it's still a nice thing to have.

Seems like every time I buy something like this, the band ends up releasing a more complete, updated version a week later.

He's definitely colorful and I swear some of the posts remind me of Blabbermouth comments, but he likes Anacrusis and Thought Industry ... so I'm intrigued.

Ah yes, gotta love the dank Anacrusis :metal

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 11:56:52 AM »
Seems like every time I buy something like this, the band ends up releasing a more complete, updated version a week later.
Yeah I find this sort of thing really annoying as well. Tends to happen to me more with DVD boxsets or whatever, but still.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 03:25:28 PM »
Mobile posting is hell.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 08:28:39 PM »
I was able to find most of DT's discography pretty cheap and in good condition used. A quick glance on Amazon shows some pretty good prices.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 07:01:32 AM »
I was able to find most of DT's discography pretty cheap and in good condition used. A quick glance on Amazon shows some pretty good prices.

This. It's not that hard to find.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 07:59:13 AM »
This boxset looks sweet, I can't find my copies of SC, 6 Degrees or BC&SL, but I can't justify buying this :/
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.