Author Topic: Most "real world" DT album? (lyrically)  (Read 3081 times)

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
Most "real world" DT album? (lyrically)
« on: November 13, 2015, 08:09:31 PM »
I mean real themes as opposed to "fantasy" (Images & Words, Systematic Chaos, etc) and fiction (SFAM).  I'd have to say that AWAKE is their most "real" album lyrically.  6:00, Space Dye Vest, the Mirror.... actually, pretty much every song is a song about mature themes and written in a mature manner. 

Thoughts?
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline CharlesPL

Re: Most "real world" DT album? (lyrically)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 08:16:36 PM »
SDOiT, BC&SL also

Offline Cable

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 08:17:16 PM »
Yup, Awake for sure. I personally relate highly to Voices, Scarred, SDV, and LSOAD. Although JP has said Voices is kind of about Schizophrenia, I take it somewhere else.
---

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 08:32:55 PM »
BC&SL and SDOIT are albums where no fantasy at all is used.

ToT has no fiction either, but it's much less straight than the other two.
Since I got no idea of what the hell is Scarred about, I'd say that's not true.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 09:11:02 PM »
Scarred, to me, is about a really long relationship (maybe even a marriage) that has gone bad ("thirty years says we're in this together") and one person is "scarred" by things that have happened in the marriage.... maybe insults, cheating, etc.  That's what I get out of it...
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 09:12:31 PM »
By the way, Black Clouds and Silver Linings.... really?  One song is about free masons and another is called.... THE COUNT OF TUSCANY.  Just sayin'! 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 09:58:43 PM »
Six Degrees of Inner Thrbulence. It discusses the very real topics of alcoholism, questioning faith, feeling isolated, stem cell research, accepting death, and mental illness. Not a single song is based on fiction in any way.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 10:27:01 PM »
I'd say the homonymous..

There's not fantasy or fiction on that one (which I found a bit disappointing).. It's all about the "real world", though in a philosophical way..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline pcs90

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 10:51:52 PM »
I'd have to go with Awake, SDOIT or DT12.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 06:29:59 AM »
Six Degrees of Inner Thrbulence. It discusses the very real topics of alcoholism, questioning faith, feeling isolated, stem cell research, accepting death, and mental illness. Not a single song is based on fiction in any way.
Yep.  This, Awake, and maybe Train of Thought are the big contenders.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 06:33:18 AM »
Yeah, I can see Six Degrees and Train of Thought being "real world" as well.  Now begs the question -- which one of the three is the BEST "real world" one?

I'd still say Awake.  I just think the lyrics are better written than the other two. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 06:40:14 AM »
I agree with you.  Awake is the best of them (by any measure).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 06:41:39 AM »
Train of Thought for me. No question.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 06:42:10 AM »
Six Degrees for me, I think the opinions are divided pretty equally.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 09:37:13 AM »
By the way, Black Clouds and Silver Linings.... really?  One song is about free masons and another is called.... THE COUNT OF TUSCANY.  Just sayin'!

Lol, freemasonry is a real thing and it is known that several famous historical figures have belonged to the same organization, so that's not fiction.

And The Count of Tuscany, in case you didn't know, is the absolute definition of non-fiction since this is an experience that Petrucci himself had during a trip. Now, that he had personally exaggerated his feelings and thoughts during his time, that's something we can't truly know. Still, that's something that could 100% happen.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 10:04:58 AM »
And The Count of Tuscany, in case you didn't know, is the absolute definition of non-fiction since this is an experience that Petrucci himself had during a trip. Now, that he had personally exaggerated his feelings and thoughts during his time, that's something we can't truly know. Still, that's something that could 100% happen.

So you're saying JP was afraid to die, sitting there alone, no one by his side?.. :lol

Nah, it's not 100% fiction, but it is the amount enough to not consider it a real world lyric.. Is not only the feeling he experienced during that trip, but most of all the stories he heard in that place.. "The Count of Tuscany" actually exists:

But the whole lyrics are based on myths JP was told, not a "real world" thing as far as I know..

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 12:18:24 PM »
Well, the "dead body on display" thing is very real in tuscany. There are several such cases to be found. https://chipandkit.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/tuscany-and-now-about-those-dead-bodies/

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 12:26:48 PM »
So you're saying JP was afraid to die, sitting there alone, no one by his side?.. :lol
Now, that he had personally exaggerated his feelings and thoughts during his time, that's something we can't truly know.

Yeah.

I don't see why you would argue about that since JP himself said this song was based on his real world encounter with the count. And hey, no shit The Count of Tuscany actually exists - JP met him and wrote the lyrics about that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2015, 06:11:09 PM »

I don't follow, what parts are fantasy?

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2015, 06:35:07 PM »
Ok, fine.  Let me rephrase.  Instead of, "real world," how about, "relatable"?  I don't know about you guys, but I can't really "relate" to free masonry or thinking I'm going to get murdered by some mysterious guy in a foreign country.  I CAN relate to, "the spirituality between a man and a woman" (Lifting Shadows off a Dream) and the effects of alcoholism (the Mirror, not that Im an alcoholic, by the way) and knowing people who go to 9-5 jobs every day, never following dreams (6:00).

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2015, 06:37:38 PM »
I would classify SFAM as both fantasy and fiction, but oh well =P

I would have to go with SDOIT too.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 05:50:36 AM »
A Dramatic turn of events

Every song (with the exception of Lost not forgotten) is either introspective or a social observation.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 09:44:07 AM »
A Dramatic turn of events

Every song (with the exception of Lost not forgotten and Bridges in the Sky) is either introspective or a social observation.

FTFY..

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 05:20:04 PM »
^^^ Bridges in the Sky is surely more introspective than fiction. I guess the Shaman character might make it seem fictional? Still I'm surprised ADTOE wasn't mentioned sooner.

It occurs to me that DT12 and even Octavarium are mostly introspective/observational stuff too now that you mention ADTOE.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2015, 06:01:40 PM »
Except that Shamans do exist in real life, so I don't see what's fiction about it.

I actually wrote a short story about Octavarium, and how it represents different aspects of life, so that's fairly realistic too. Even the Awakening section in Octavarium is a real story. I Walk Beside You is the only romantic song in the entire discography?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2015, 06:03:10 PM »
Except that Shamans do exist in real life, so I don't see what's fiction about it.

Exactly, only that the particular shaman character is fictional for the sake of the song, unless he isn't.  :lol

Offline Pettor

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2015, 12:52:02 AM »
SDOIT. Well written lyrics that is easy to understand and relate to. Actually I have hard time understanding how anyone can pick any other album that this in regards to the subject. It's about loosing control, being misunderstood, religion, feeling outside of the society, loosing someone you love, highly debatable topics from different views etc. in a clear but smart way. Also there are so many different subjects being discussed during the album.

Awake is very good at being emotional but the lyrics are vague and more open for interpretation. I feel much when listening to Voices, LSOAD, Scarred and Space-Dye Vest, but it's because of the emotional sound and emtional sections of the lyrics, not because I fully relate to the songs. Some lyrics feel way to specific for a individual person for me to fully relate to. Also  :angel::

"Mother Mary quite contrary
Kiss the boys and make them wary
Things are getting just a little bit scary
It's a wonder I can still breathe"

Train of Thought is pretty high up the list as well, but Honor Thy Father for example is very specific if "relatable" is a criteria. But it's very "real world".

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2015, 07:45:21 AM »
Since you have changed the criteria to „relatable“, I will definitely not say Awake – it’s way too disconnected for me to see it as a „real album“ as you do – for example I have absolutely no idea what Lifting or Scarred or The Silent Man are about (yes, I know what they’re supposed to be about, I just don’t hear it – or not enough to relate).
So, the most „real/relatable“ to me are (in order from most to least favourite):

SDOIT

Octavarium, which is very personal-problems-oriented (including the title track which I more or less interpret as a lament of an always-unhappy musician/artist, lamenting that he’s restricted by the laws of music itself, so his best works might always sound like another song/piece of art… Hence the „could this be everything“, the quote part and „trapped inside this octavarium“). Yeah, I know.

TOT

BC&SL, yes, including The Count (since I have experienced visits that made me feel really uneasy, like „am I safe with this guy?“) and the slightly-not-fitting-but-still-plausible Rite.

Most relatable for me is probably 8 or TOT, though.
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2015, 08:46:33 AM »
Even the Awakening section in Octavarium is a real story. I Walk Beside You is the only romantic song in the entire discography?

Is it?.. I thought it was a fictional story, obviously written based on reality, which is a pretty different thing btw.. Where did you read that?..

About IWBY: probably.. and it's not even 100% certain about a man and a woman or vice versa.. You can take it the way you want.. Some say is a religious lyric, being "Jesus" (not JP) the one walking beside us.. But who knows... (except JP..)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2015, 08:56:27 AM »
About IWBY: probably.. and it's not even 100% certain about a man and a woman or vice versa.. You can take it the way you want.. Some say is a religious lyric, being "Jesus" (not JP) the one walking beside us.. But who knows... (except JP..)
It's romantic.  It's not religious.  JP has explained this.

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2015, 10:21:09 AM »
They are generally not comfortable writing songs about just religion.

Offline Zirreall

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2015, 07:43:04 AM »
FII

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2015, 02:01:40 PM »

ITNOG? Blind Faith?

Offline shredd

• Always Awake
  • ROCK ON!
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2015, 06:11:16 AM »
Come on everybody it's obvious that The Astonishing will be the most "real" album lyrically
 :rollin
We move in circles - Balanced all the while - On a gleaming razor's edge
A perfect sphere - Colliding with our fate - This story ends where it began

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2015, 06:45:33 PM »

ITNOG? Blind Faith?

That's just JLB, afaik, but even then Blind Faith isn't all about religion. Even Myung tends to shy away from just religion. They are inspired by religion maybe, but their songs tend to have a larger basis than just that.