Author Topic: What is going on in Paris?  (Read 4595 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• Truth is not for all men, only those who seek it.
Re: What is going on in Paris?
« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »
What scares me is how much politicians suck when talking about this.  Stupid ass Republicans are taking this as another opportunity to criticize the Democrats, and Obama talks with such ambivalence about ISIS, like they are nothing more than annoyance, while looking angry whenever talking about Republicans.  It's like, he has far more hatred for those who disagree with him in his own country than savages from another who want to kill us all.  And they all wonder why many distrust politicians in general so much. :tdwn :tdwn

I couldn't agree more. I'm tired of these terrorists being talked about so casually by people whose job is to fucking protect us. It's no longer about liberal vs conservative or Republican vs Democrat anymore. We're fighting a common enemy which should unify us yet I feel like these bureaucratic butt pirates still don't get it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2015, 08:51:04 AM »
What scares me is how much politicians suck when talking about this.  Stupid ass Republicans are taking this as another opportunity to criticize the Democrats, and Obama talks with such ambivalence about ISIS, like they are nothing more than annoyance, while looking angry whenever talking about Republicans.  It's like, he has far more hatred for those who disagree with him in his own country than savages from another who want to kill us all.  And they all wonder why many distrust politicians in general so much. :tdwn :tdwn

I couldn't agree more. I'm tired of these terrorists being talked about so casually by people whose job is to fucking protect us. It's no longer about liberal vs conservative or Republican vs Democrat anymore. We're fighting a common enemy which should unify us yet I feel like these bureaucratic butt pirates still don't get it.

If Russia and the US can agree on this, why can't Democrats and Republicans?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2015, 08:58:04 AM »

Because Americans are stubborn and would rather die than have to acknowledge that the other side might make a correct statement every now and again.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2015, 09:53:47 AM »
Last I heard (this morning, actually) we're still trying to help the people the Russians are bombing the bejeezus out of. We all agree that ISIL is bad, but that certainly doesn't mean reconsidering long-held positions on Syria.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• Truth is not for all men, only those who seek it.
« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2015, 12:32:11 PM »

Are you talking about Dems vs Repubs in the general population or in Congress? 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #145 on: November 23, 2015, 12:34:54 PM »

Are you talking about Dems vs Repubs in the general population or in Congress?

For me, I am talking congress which is what I thought was referenced.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #147 on: November 24, 2015, 12:42:52 PM »
It seems like the world is slowly escalating to a WWIII scenario. And with Turkey fighting with Russia will just stabilize the region even more. As unhappy as I am with the current situation in the US, I'm glad that I don't live in Europe right now.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: November 24, 2015, 12:51:14 PM »
It seems like the world is slowly escalating to a WWIII scenario. And with Turkey fighting with Russia will just stabilize the region even more. As unhappy as I am with the current situation in the US, I'm glad that I don't live in Europe right now.

Yeah, we're screwed I've no doubt that this is the prelude to a huge European and Middle Eastern war, it's been building for a long time.... I'm surprised it didn't happen after Russia annexed Crimea

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #149 on: November 24, 2015, 12:58:40 PM »
Putin is going to eventually bring the hammer down with zero fucks regarding what the US thinks. It sucks because I can't imagine going to war with Russia because Russia attacked Turkey.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2015, 01:20:21 PM »
I'm trying to decide if making a Thanksgiving related joke would be in poor taste with Turkey in the news this week.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2015, 02:13:20 PM »
Putin is going to eventually bring the hammer down with zero fucks regarding what the US thinks. It sucks because I can't imagine going to war with Russia because Russia attacked Turkey.
It takes two sides to really go to war, though. Just because either of us do something silly doesn't mean that it hits the fan. The world is full of neighboring assholes that, despite the ever-present loathing, still don't go to war. Look no further than the DPRK to see an example. Remember when everybody was convinced that India and Pakistan both going nuclear was the precursor to WWIII? Add to that, Putin is deliberative. He's not a cowboy. If he brings the hammer down it'll be because of something far more significant than Turkey being a nuisance.

Moreover, these things happen. As I've said, I think the Turks are acting like dicks, but it's certainly not the first time planes have gotten shot down for airspace violations. Both the US and Russia have a checkered past with regards to that sort of thing. In this case the Turkish shootdown, while plenty uncool, was actually technically warranted.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #152 on: November 25, 2015, 07:05:56 AM »
Here's the issue though. Obama is rubbing salt in the wound. We are acting like dicks too. Obama's foreign policy has to be the worst in recent history if not ever. Let's bow to the terrorists and continue to piss off our allies. Way to go!!!

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2015, 08:09:25 AM »
Here's the issue though. Obama is rubbing salt in the wound. We are acting like dicks too. Obama's foreign policy has to be the worst in recent history if not ever. Let's bow to the terrorists and continue to piss off our allies. Way to go!!!
I read an article on BBC yesterday blasting him for not giving arms to the Syrian rebels early on. At that point I decided that he was really fucked either way on this. Aside from the silly D vs R nonsense here, where every decision he makes will be deemed the stupidest move in the history of mankind, there's a very real practical problem with any decision made regarding Syria, Iraq and ISIL as they all relate to each other. I'm not happy about his alienation of Russia and its interests in this matter, but I honestly can't figure out what the right thing to do would have been.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2015, 08:22:06 AM »
I read an article on BBC yesterday blasting him for not giving arms to the Syrian rebels early on. At that point I decided that he was really fucked either way on this. Aside from the silly D vs R nonsense here, where every decision he makes will be deemed the stupidest move in the history of mankind, there's a very real practical problem with any decision made regarding Syria, Iraq and ISIL as they all relate to each other. I'm not happy about his alienation of Russia and its interests in this matter, but I honestly can't figure out what the right thing to do would have been.

I think it's possible that there was no right thing to do. Regardless of the action taken, some people would benefit and some wouldn't. There's really not much of anything we can do in that region that won't throw in a wrench somewhere.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #155 on: November 25, 2015, 08:30:03 AM »

I think it's possible that there was no right thing to do. Regardless of the action taken, some people would benefit and some wouldn't. There's really not much of anything we can do in that region that won't throw in a wrench somewhere.

Which is why the best thing to do is nothing. Let it work it out on it's own.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2015, 08:35:19 AM »
And doing nothing would still have gotten Obama the "worst foreign policy in history" rap.
E.F. Benson

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2015, 09:04:33 AM »
It's too late for us to become isolationist and do nothing. For the past 100 years we've built ourselves up to be the world protector of liberty and freedom. We are the world police force; it's true.

Of course you can agree that we shouldn't be, and I'd agree. But the fact of the matter is that we are, and we're in far too deep to simply do nothing about situations like these.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2015, 09:13:29 AM »

Which is why the best thing to do is nothing. Let it work it out on it's own.

And I bet if Obama did nothing the media would find a way to complain about that.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: November 25, 2015, 03:28:36 PM »
It's too late for us to become isolationist and do nothing. For the past 100 years we've built ourselves up to be the world protector of liberty and freedom. We are the world police force; it's true.

Of course you can agree that we shouldn't be, and I'd agree. But the fact of the matter is that we are, and we're in far too deep to simply do nothing about situations like these.

You ever seen Team America World Police?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2016, 08:02:59 AM »
Pretty sure I heard on the morning news that the suspects were Belgians, not recent immigrants.

I was hurrying to get out the door, though, so I could have heard wrong.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #161 on: March 23, 2016, 08:47:20 AM »
I heard that too, they were Belgians, but I also heard the guy they caught from the paris attacks said that them and as many as 90 other terrorists have been able to mix in with the refugees to get to and from europe/ISIS.  But I can't confirm that is true nor can I recall where I heard it (likely TV news).

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2016, 11:40:38 AM »
I heard that too, they were Belgians, but I also heard the guy they caught from the paris attacks said that them and as many as 90 other terrorists have been able to mix in with the refugees to get to and from europe/ISIS.  But I can't confirm that is true nor can I recall where I heard it (likely TV news).
In the New York Times I provided a couple posts above.   Confirmed.

lol  :facepalm:

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #163 on: March 23, 2016, 09:33:50 PM »
E.F. Benson

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2016, 11:09:08 PM »
You rang?

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #165 on: March 26, 2016, 10:31:04 AM »
Awesome. Now instead of having to trek along through the rain and sleet with the peasants they'll be forced to spend 135 on a train ticket.
E.F. Benson