Author Topic: So there's this cone.  (Read 36604 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: So there's this cone.
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2015, 03:18:23 PM »
There is no proof the system is being exploited.  Like I said, from my experience those cones could be overflow from the reserved parking.  Of course, if this lady is exploiting the system then I am all game for doing mischievous benign things like what has been done already.

I guess, but wouldn't it say reserved or something somewhere if this is the case?  I honestly don't know how it works over there.  And wouldn't the overflow be right next to the reserved parking area.  Again not sure if that's the case here.

I think I'm just an asshole and love this sort of shit.  ;D

oh totally, I thought Chino mentioned this spot was close to the exit so I assumed it was close to the reserved spots.  And it may not say anything, the cone may be the way they are telling you it is reserved.  Its very possible this is not the case, I have just seen that in my personal experience.  I would just feel bad if I messed with someone for no reason, also id be pissed that I got so worked up over something for no reason.

As a commuter, I get pissed at such stupid/small things that happen on my commute, so I totally get Chino's frustration.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2015, 03:19:47 PM »
Like others have said...

If she is gaming the system you are reasonable in being upset and don't have much to worry about in moving the cone.

However, if it might be overflow from the reserve you could be getting upset over nothing.

Sure seems like it would be a lot simpler to just ask the attendants.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2015, 03:36:46 PM »
There is no proof the system is being exploited.  Like I said, from my experience those cones could be overflow from the reserved parking.  Of course, if this lady is exploiting the system then I am all game for doing mischievous benign things like what has been done already.

I guess, but wouldn't it say reserved or something somewhere if this is the case?  I honestly don't know how it works over there.  And wouldn't the overflow be right next to the reserved parking area.  Again not sure if that's the case here.

oh totally, I thought Chino mentioned this spot was close to the exit so I assumed it was close to the reserved spots.  And it may not say anything, the cone may be the way they are telling you it is reserved.  Its very possible this is not the case, I have just seen that in my personal experience.  I would just feel bad if I messed with someone for no reason, also id be pissed that I got so worked up over something for no reason.

As a commuter, I get pissed at such stupid/small things that happen on my commute, so I totally get Chino's frustration.

Yeah, seems like we are on the same page here.  I didn't even think of the reserved parking thing. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Calvin6s

« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2015, 03:46:14 PM »
We probably all (most) love to talk some nonsense.  Just need to make sure Chino doesn't have to call Stadler from jail because he got riled up and took somebody seriously.  He's easily led astray  :angel:

High speed chase. Channel 4.  The dude is tossing what seems to be an endless supply of cones out his window.  Ok.  This just in.  He is part of a fringe group called DTF, which I believe is a sexual reference, and it seems they egged him on.  When will we learn?  They should all be charged as accomplices.

He had heavy participation in a discussion about police brutality.  The police chief does not like some of his conclusions and is preparing to beat him with the very cones he's ejecting.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2015, 05:59:44 PM »
Chino, I think your response was great. Can't wait to see what happens next  :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2015, 11:31:38 PM »
High speed chase. Channel 4.  The dude is tossing what seems to be an endless supply of cones out his window.  Ok.  This just in.  He is part of a fringe group called DTF, which I believe is a sexual reference, and it seems they egged him on.  When will we learn?  They should all be charged as accomplices.

He had heavy participation in a discussion about police brutality.  The police chief does not like some of his conclusions and is preparing to beat him with the very cones he's ejecting.

Jebus, man.  The radio show I usually watch, The Russ Martin Show which is in a Dallas/Fort Worth station (don't know how I stumbled upon it.  I just do), would go to town discussing all of this stuff and be in laughter about it.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2015, 11:51:41 PM »
following the fuck out of this thread
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2015, 12:41:10 AM »
Maybe if it re-appears put a big ole dog steamer under the cone.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2015, 05:15:20 AM »
We need an update
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2015, 05:56:28 AM »
Today the cone was in a new spot, this time a little further from the exit. I'm guessing that on her way out yesterday she claimed a new one.

In regards to whether or not this is cone is for reserved parking overflow, it's not. In the event the woman complained that someone moved her cone, I didn't want to go asking about it and raise suspicion. Instead, I went to the window this morning and inquired about the reserved parking. I was informed that there are spaces available and there's no wait list of any kind. So that rules that one out.

If she's got a disability, it can't be anything serious. A doctor said she could get me a handicapped plate because of my sciatica. They aren't that hard to get.

I pushed the cone a few spaces down again today.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2015, 05:59:08 AM »
Cool, didnt mean to be a pain about that possibility, just wanted to make sure you weren't messing with something legitimate.  Carry on with messing with this lady, at least you got some morning entertainment.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2015, 10:20:36 AM »
For me, this is fascinating. 

I used to live in Philly, in the city, and parking is at a premium (and the parking authority has orgasms over giving tickets; in the time I lived there I paid about $2500 in parking tickets).   

When we would get snow, you had to shovel your sidewalk.   We would often shovel a couple spaces too (or shovel out your car).  Many people would then take to "marking" their spot (even though there were no assigned street spaces).   People would use ANYTHING to mark the spot:  cones, chairs, small end tables... I even saw a baby's high chair one time.  And invariably on the local news would be a story about a beating or assault when someone moved a "marker".  Hilarious stuff.   

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2015, 12:19:59 PM »
I used to live in Philly

I am so sorry.

Seriously though, they do take parking seriously.  The show "Parking Wars" centered mostly on the Philadelphia Parking Authority during its 6 seasons.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2015, 02:20:15 PM »
When I last visited my sister (Kidney Girl) and her husband in Philly, they were engaged in some sort of parking intrigue that had them hiding one of their cars from The Man. Found that amusing. I gather things are more civic (but not civil) up there, as there's some governmental authority to the whole thing.  Down here, shitbag tow truck drivers just drive around looking for cars they can justify steeling so they can ransom them back. The city has nothing to do with it other than collecting kick-backs in exchange for a license to "enforce the rules."

Some might recall that when that ESPN woman caught major hell for belittling the old woman at the impound lot. My statement on the matter was that her mistake was not getting her car back and running a hose from the exhaust pipe through the holes in barrier and asphyxiating every last fucking one of them like the vermin they are. This is why.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2015, 02:23:04 PM »
Its not civic at all in Philly.  The parking authority is not easy to work with there.  My x lived in Philly for a couple years so I used to drive there for weekends leaving my car on the street.  She knew the rules well enough that I never got a ticket, but she got plenty of tickets for things that made no sense such as expired registration that was in fact not expired.  She fought it and won, but thats a huge pain in the ass for not doing anything wrong. 

I used to live in Philly

I am so sorry.

Seriously though, they do take parking seriously.  The show "Parking Wars" centered mostly on the Philadelphia Parking Authority during its 6 seasons.

And this, the parking is so bad they even made a fairly entertaining show about it.

Calvin6s

« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2015, 03:01:12 PM »
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 08:55:44 PM by Calvin6s »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2015, 03:12:11 PM »
The fact that there is such a thing as "the parking authority" in Philadelphia makes it far more civic than what we have. There's at least a governing authority.

Calvin: While I'm sympathetic to your cause, you do realize that videotaping after the ticket was written is meaningless to the person reviewing the ticket, right?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Calvin6s

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2015, 04:27:02 PM »
No because it is not a moving violation.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2015, 04:27:37 PM »

I pushed the cone a few spaces down again today.

Fuck yeah... :metal :metal :metal

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2015, 06:10:29 PM »
This reminds me of how Chicagoans hold spots on the side of the road during snow months...
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2015, 08:49:57 PM »
I thought they cracked down on that last winter big time, and basically tried to abolish the practice.  On the other hand, I have no idea whether it worked or not.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2015, 09:16:42 PM »
I was thinking the same thing... if I recall correctly it's called Dibs in Chicago.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2015, 09:22:08 PM »
There was an area I lived in Boston that was very predatory in terms of tow companies. They would lay low in alleyways and such and the second someone parked they'd run out and tow your car the second you left. My friend went to visit me once and her car got towed within the 15 minutes she dropped her stuff off in my apartment and there was no real evidence of where it was towed to. We had to call around several places and eventually found the tow yard which was in a horrible neighborhood (in the middle of the night no less) and, in typical tow yard fashion, had a couple of very angry dogs and they only accepted cash. Oddly enough I ended up visiting the place for work a couple times years later since there's a cell tower in the back of the yard.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2015, 05:33:52 AM »
Move #3

Offline emtee

« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2015, 05:51:06 AM »
I don't usually check this part of the forum out. I stay in music but this thread is worthy.

IMO if the cone were legit it would have official markings of some kind. Property of...or Reserved for...something like that. To each his
own but life is short and sometimes a rare opportunity for adventure presents itself. Personally I would figure out where the line was
in regards to potential liability or trouble and then I would walk right up to that line multiple times and in a variety of ways.

Keep posting cone man  ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2015, 07:46:36 AM »
I used to live in Philly

I am so sorry.

They used to feature this really cute brunette on there; usually her beat was South Street, which was about six blocks from me.  I've actually talked to her a couple times (not that that is meaningful in any way). 

By the way, I loved Philly.  I would go back there in a heartbeat if I didn't have kids.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2015, 07:49:22 AM »
Philly is nice to visit, but I'm not sure I'd want to live there.  Philadelphia sports fans would be the first deal breaker.  The Surekill Distressway would be the second deal breaker.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2015, 07:53:43 AM »
The fact that there is such a thing as "the parking authority" in Philadelphia makes it far more civic than what we have. There's at least a governing authority.

Calvin: While I'm sympathetic to your cause, you do realize that videotaping after the ticket was written is meaningless to the person reviewing the ticket, right?

It's somewhere in between, el Barto.   If you don't pay in... I think it is 15 days, they tack on fees (it effectively doubles the fine) and then - I think it is 45 or 60 days - if you don't pay, they make it impossible to renew your reg, and they put you on the "boot" list.  This is the parking equivalent of the MS "Blue Screen of Death".  They have the option of either putting the boot on you or towing your car.  I've been towed, I have not had the boot.  The tow was as predatory as anything you describe.  I actually saw the tow truck driving away and flagged him down.  I offered first $50, then $100 in cash to drop the car, and he chuckled and said "haha, that's cute.  See you at the lot".   Once the car is hooked it's in the system, and he is getting way more than $50 per car.  It took me about four hours or so and between $300 and $400 to be able to drive away.   The PPA people have this gizmo that they can check plates almost instantly, and there is really no escaping them if they are on a mission.  They don't bust balls too too badly in residential neighborhoods (with the boot/tow, that is) but they are like ants.  EVERYWHERE.

I had a garage in my house (which isn't common) and garages are by definition "no parking" in front of them.  Even though it was MY GARAGE (which they can tell from the reg, or for the "regular" beat walkers, experience) I would get tickets regularly for being in front of it. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2015, 09:48:22 AM »
Philly is nice to visit, but I'm not sure I'd want to live there.  Philadelphia sports fans would be the first deal breaker.  The Surekill Distressway would be the second deal breaker.

I honestly do not even like visiting that city, however that's not to say there aren't thing worth visiting there obviosuly for our countries history and then there are some good spots for food/drink.  I just personally have had a hard time with the people in that city.  I went to Penn State and almost every asshole I met there ended up being from Philly and all of my weekend trips there just confirmed my belief on the people there just being rude, and thats very much including the sports fans.  And after all my bitching, I actually have been itching to make a trip down there again and my trip a few months ago got cancelled because I had to travel for work.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2015, 10:09:31 AM »
Huh.   Huh.   

I lived on 2nd Street for three years (2nd and Christian) and on Broad street just south of City Hall for two years, and my experience is EXACTLY the opposite.  There are, of course, dicks everywhere, but I would wear my Giants shirt on Sunday, and despite some ribbing and teasing, never faced anything serious or malicious. 

Granted, the Schuykill is a traffic nightmare, but now that I am in CT, I have more people I keep in touch with from Philly than in all the other cities I've lived in combined.  I have far more disdain for those that come over the river from Jersey than I do the Philly people. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2015, 10:14:49 AM »
the Schuykill is a traffic nightmare

This is an insult to nightmares.  The Schuylkill is a traffic third trimester abortion.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »
Huh.   Huh.   

I lived on 2nd Street for three years (2nd and Christian) and on Broad street just south of City Hall for two years, and my experience is EXACTLY the opposite.  There are, of course, dicks everywhere, but I would wear my Giants shirt on Sunday, and despite some ribbing and teasing, never faced anything serious or malicious. 

Granted, the Schuykill is a traffic nightmare, but now that I am in CT, I have more people I keep in touch with from Philly than in all the other cities I've lived in combined.  I have far more disdain for those that come over the river from Jersey than I do the Philly people.

I think its a thing with living there.  Everyone I have met who has lived there loved it (including my x), everyone I have met who has visited hates it.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2015, 10:38:52 AM »
I don't hate it at all. I've been up there a few times, and while the subway is the second worse I've ever ridden, it's overall a perfectly pleasant place. I also found people fairly pleasant (and I come from a damned friendly place). It's actually the only town in the yankee states that I thought the people were down-right courteous.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2015, 10:55:35 AM »
They must have thought you lived there.  :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2015, 10:56:55 AM »
Nah, in fact I was probably wearing a Patriots cap. Nobody even brought it up.
E.F. Benson