Author Topic: So there's this cone.  (Read 36610 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
So there's this cone.
« on: November 13, 2015, 06:06:58 AM »
I work in a city where parking is hard to come by. You either park miles away and bus in, or you pay ridiculous prices for parking garages. The garage I park in costs $200 a month and parking is on a first come first serve basis. There is a separate area for "reserved parking" that costs an extra $100 a month, and that guarantees you a spot right by the entrance/exit.

About two weeks ago I noticed a cone blocking a good parking space. I thought nothing of it as the garage will often times blocks spaces to service lights or vents. That afternoon I saw a car in that space and the cone off to the side by its rear bumper. The next day, the cone was back. A few days later, I had to go in later than usual. I saw a woman, who was driving the car that always now has that space, getting out of her car and moving the cone so she could back her car in. This woman is reserving her own spot in the garage outside of the more expensive reserved section.

It probably shouldn't as much as it does, but it really pisses me off. Today I ran her cone over and left it laying on its side. I want to, neigh, I need to take action. I'm contemplating steeling the cone. I almost did today, but there were two other people near by. Instead, I left them with the thought "why'd that asshole intentionally run over that cone?". I'm also debating printing out a sign that says "Asshole parking only" and taping it to the cone tomorrow morning.

DTF. I look to you for advice. How should I handle this cone?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: So there's this cone.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 06:13:28 AM »
Buy paint in the same colour as the cone. Arrive before she does. Paint it up as thoroughly as possible. When she goes to move the cone, she will get painty. Repeat as necessary. Alternatively, lube it up real good.

Get a bunch of big bugs, like cockroaches or something, and set it up so that when she lifts the cone, it releases all of the bugs underneath.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 06:19:09 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 06:18:13 AM »
Today I ran her cone over and left it laying on its side.

:metal :metal :metal

This pisses me off. She can pay the extra 100 bucks if she wants a reserved spot. Death to the cone!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 06:25:50 AM »
I'd inform the company running the garage.  While revenge is fun and all, it's not worth getting yourself in trouble over this.

Also, I will direct your SS to this thread.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 08:03:50 AM »
Safest bet is to talk to the garage operators (though don't rule out that she slipped an attendant $50 to look past the cone).    You can park there, but don't rule out retaliatory action (though you know who she is so that helps you).

REAL dick move (but it will solve the problem) is find out where she works and go see her boss.  There's a slim chance he'll be impressed by her initiative, but a better chance he'll not want the aggravation.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 08:30:33 AM »
That would really piss me off too. Are there cameras in the garage? The rest of my response depends on that  :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 08:34:28 AM »
That would really piss me off too. Are there cameras in the garage? The rest of my response depends on that  :lol

There are not. I have made very sure.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 08:45:46 AM »
Get your own cone.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 09:10:36 AM »
She's cheating the company that owns the garage. Let them deal with it. ZKX is also onto something. If you star doing the same thing, within a week there will be ten others doing it and the garage owners will have to clamp down. I can't in good conscience suggest ratting on her, but I've got no problem with expediting the company's noticing that they're getting ripped off.

Or maybe Stadler is right and they're taking a 50 to ignore it, in which case they've legitimized this as a cheaper option.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 10:02:29 AM »
Good response. She is cheating the facility and the customers. Not sure I would run it over instead of just toss it to the side (protect my own car), though.

Also, turning the cone in to lost and found might get you an answer. Sounds like you're sure she has no right to her cone, but finding out might be prudent. I'm assuming you are certain of the situation, but in case you are not.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 10:28:54 AM »
Honestly, I'd probably just take the cone  :lol

And then if a new one shows up, tell the people who run the garage.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 11:12:03 AM »
Shit in her cereal parking space.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 11:14:07 AM »
Cereal aside, remove the cone.  Leave it in a random parking lot on the way home one day.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 11:20:39 AM »
Shit in her cereal parking space.

I can shit under the cone!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 11:24:28 AM »
Jackpot, mothafatha.  Make it so.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 11:29:21 AM »
At the very least slather it with some greasy/sticky substance.

Calvin6s

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 11:40:01 AM »
Get your own cone.
That took too long for somebody to come up with the right answer  :police:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 12:27:03 PM »
Get your own cone.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 12:30:05 PM »
No, but then you don't actually know that it's wrong, do you? Moreover, have you ever been unable to get a parking space in there before? Seems to me that it's mostly a wrong against somebody else. I suppose if she staked out the spot closes to the door/elevator/exit/whatever, then that would be more problematic. Still, it's only a wrong against you if you would have gotten that space.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 12:35:31 PM »
No, but then you don't actually know that it's wrong, do you? Moreover, have you ever been unable to get a parking space in there before? Seems to me that it's mostly a wrong against somebody else. I suppose if she staked out the spot closes to the door/elevator/exit/whatever, then that would be more problematic. Still, it's only a wrong against you if you would have gotten that space.

I've never not been able to park. However, I've had to park three levels down while she gets to come in an hour after everyone else and gets a spot 10 spaces from the exit.

Calvin6s

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 12:35:58 PM »
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 08:49:36 PM by Calvin6s »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 01:00:05 PM »

I've never not been able to park. However, I've had to park three levels down while she gets to come in an hour after everyone else and gets a spot 10 spaces from the exit.
I'm on your side here, so don't construe this as anything but me arguing over the philosophical aspect of the whole thing.

So, based on the time that you arrive, is it reasonable to think you might actually get a good spot, close to the exit? I'd say she's gaming the system (assuming what she's doing is actually against the rules), but I don't think she's wronging you.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 01:08:21 PM »

So we have to figure out what plus wrong WILL equal right.

X + wrong = right

So to figure for X, we subtract wrong from each side, which gives us this:

X = right - wrong.

So when we put that back into the initial equation, we end up with this:

(right-wrong) + wrong = right.

The two wrongs essentially cancel each other out, leaving this:

right = right

So two wrongs DO make a right.

Calvin6s

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 01:08:55 PM »
If you want to go about it in a deceptively narc way, just go ask the garage how much the cone costs.  Maybe they will stop the cone or maybe they will say "$40/month cash".

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 01:09:50 PM »

I'm on your side here, so don't construe this as anything but me arguing over the philosophical aspect of the whole thing.

So, based on the time that you arrive, is it reasonable to think you might actually get a good spot, close to the exit? I'd say she's gaming the system (assuming what she's doing is actually against the rules), but I don't think she's wronging you.

I usually pull into the garage at 7:20. At that time, I always get a space within 20 spaces of the exit. After 7:30, you're likely parking a floor down. By 8:00, you're parking three floors down. This woman rolls in around 8:00, taking the spaces that the 7:20 crowd would usually get.

This morning I arrived around 7:40 and the entire first floor was full with the exception of her space. She might not be wronging me specifically, but she's wronging my community, man.

Calvin6s

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2015, 01:12:53 PM »
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 08:50:35 PM by Calvin6s »

Calvin6s

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2015, 01:14:20 PM »
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 08:51:07 PM by Calvin6s »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2015, 01:20:05 PM »
Calvin's is certainly an option. You could move the cone and let somebody else snag the spot, potentially causing a confrontation with this woman and some hapless citizen. You could do something similar; go to Fastsigns and order up a 12x18 "Reserved For Employee of the Millennium Bryan Mendocino" sign and slap it up there.

At the end of the day I still think she's gaming the system. One of those things that people grumble about, but mostly because it's something they're not willing to do. Like claiming the neighbor's dog as a dependent because he drinks from your pool and shits in your yard.

Sorry if I misspelled your name.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2015, 01:26:20 PM »

So we have to figure out what plus wrong WILL equal right.

X + wrong = right

So to figure for X, we subtract wrong from each side, which gives us this:

X = right - wrong.

So when we put that back into the initial equation, we end up with this:

(right-wrong) + wrong = right.

The two wrongs essentially cancel each other out, leaving this:

right = right

So two wrongs DO make a right.

If my kid ever pulls out that shit when I try to discipline him, I'm gonna........

....congratulate him and let him off! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2015, 01:33:48 PM »
At the end of the day I still think she's gaming the system. One of those things that people grumble about, but mostly because it's something they're not willing to do. Like claiming the neighbor's dog as a dependent because he drinks from your pool and shits in your yard.

If I hadn't taken a tax class, before this current fall quarter, I would be like "so what?"  What's the matter of putting a neighbor's dog as a dependent?  Now that I'm taking a tax class, I would be like yep, you should not do that just so that you can subtract $4,000 from your gross income on your tax return.

Anywho, initially, what I would do if I see that cone is that I would just chuck the cone as far away from the garage as possible, but I would never have the courage to do this in real life.

However, I like El Barto's method of putting a 12x18 "Reserved For Employee of the Millennium Bryan Mendocino" sign and post it at the spot.

Calvin6s

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2015, 01:36:08 PM »
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 08:52:18 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2015, 01:41:38 PM »

Calvin6s

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2015, 01:45:24 PM »
It would be a bit funny if Chino took matters into his own hands only to find out the garage offered a $1/month lottery for the chance to win that cone.  I'd just worry about putting your own parking privileges in jeopardy.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2015, 02:11:14 PM »
It would be a bit funny if Chino took matters into his own hands only to find out the garage offered a $1/month lottery for the chance to win that cone.  I'd just worry about putting your own parking privileges in jeopardy.
That's a brilliant idea, actually. Chino should suggest it and then they'd have to clamp down on people gaming the system.
E.F. Benson

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2015, 02:21:02 PM »
Get your own cone.

Actually most of the time when you're parking you're doing a 90 degree turn.