Author Topic: The History of Dream Theater - In Chart Form!  (Read 3635 times)

Offline MHStrawn

Re: The History of Dream Theater - In Chart Form!
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2015, 06:13:36 AM »
6DOIT, TOT, and ADTOE deserve higher ratings. And did yours Tully rank WDADU higher than DT12? What? I do agree that ACOS is their best work, ever. I listen to that song at least once a week. Not bad for a song that just turned 20!

I think the vast majority of DT fans disagree with me regarding Six Degrees.  I explained my thinking in the post but also understand my opinion is in the minority. 

And yes, I did rank WDADU higher than DT12.  Basically, there's a lot of 3 (of 5) songs on both albums.  I rate Ytsejam a 5, and The Killing Hand and Afterlife as 4s from WDADU.  From DT12 the only songs not rated 3 are Enigma Machine (5) and False Awakening (4).  So yeah....add it all up and WDADU comes in one point higher (68  to 67). 

Just my opinion; designed to generate discussion.

I think that going by songs is inaccurate since a DT album is something to be listened to in its entirety. To me an album that flows great is better than a disjointed album with a few killer songs. Example WDADU and DT12. DT12 may not have the most memorable songs (EM and IT are amazing though), but the album has this flow from song to song and makes it (IMO) pleasant to listen to from start to finish. I can't say the same about WDADU.

Yes, this is a very good, very valid point.  I struggle with this a lot in terms of keeping track of my music collection.  Another example is someone like Tony McAlpine.  I have one of his CDs and from an individual track perspective I like each of the songs (4 stars) but listening to that album in a single listen the songs would be repetitive and less enjoyable. 

But I decided, for myself, the truth is I usually listen to playlists nowadays and it's relatively rare for me to listen to a single album all the way through.  I prefer a variety of music types as I usually get bored listening to the same music type without interruption.