Author Topic: Is there anything religious about a Christmas tree other than "Christ"?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• As above, so below
Re: Is there anything religious about a Christmas tree other than "Christ"?
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2016, 05:15:10 AM »
I dunno dude, that sounds more like he was trying to convert or harass some lesbians. And that is not being fired for being Christian.

And yes, you CAN actually be fired for offending your co-workers and making the workplace very uncomfortable. Being religious doesn't make you do those things, doing those things does. So don't pick a guy who actively harassed and insulted others and say he was fired for "mentioning being a Christian". Because I highly doubt you'll find many cases of a dude actually being fired for saying "oh by the way I'm a Christian".

So you are saying the corporations should dictate what acceptable speech is and who can and cannot say it?  Hmmm...  Funny how the double standards always seem to spawn new double standards.  Bottom line, people who think they can police other's thoughts and words are playing a fool's game that leads to *true* fascism.  You wanna support PCism->fascism, don't forget who warned you when you happen to say the wrong thing to the wrong person.

So you are saying we should be able to say whatever we want at our job with no consequenses?  Interesting....

Damn, Eric. Are we actually in agreeance for once? Quick, one of us needs to change our opinion. This can't happen.

Dont get all lovey dovey with me Prog.  We are both bound to be rational and logical in the same thread sooner or later.   ;)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2016, 08:19:20 AM »
However, in fear of becoming like the white guy who claims that racism is no longer a problem, as a non-Christian, I'll bow out of this particular convo. If you guys want to talk about anti-Jewish prejudice, I'll magically reappear.

:superdude

I saw this interesting perspective.

My coworkers complain when we can’t assign homework over Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. As if somehow this interferes with their ability to teach their classes.

My coworkers complain that our Muslim students get to leave class to pray Salat at noon. Like, we have maybe one Muslim student every two or three years - thus far, all extraordinarily respectful and lovely kids! - and they slip quietly out of class to pray.

My coworkers find all this infuriating. “Imagine,” they cry, “If a Christian kid asked to do that.”

I calmly explain, every single time, that a Christian kid would never HAVE to do that, because every single Christian holy day is a day off school. Good Friday. Easter Sunday. Christmas day. Our entire country interrupts its financial and educational systems - schedules its WEEKS - around the Christian prayer customs and seasons.

God forbid we temporarily unclip the rope barrier and leave an opening for someone whose religious traditions vary from our own.

I feel like many people's experiences are so myopic, they don't see the big picture in these situations.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2016, 08:32:58 AM »
This year makes the least "in" I've been on Christmas in a few years.

Combo of factors:

1. Declined interest in Church/Christianity, i.e. "the spirit of the season"
2. Agreed upon armistice on gift-giving among my family and friends - put an end to exchanges
3. Rough year family-wise; lots of crap going on and no one particularly wants to see everyone right now
4. New diet/lifestyle adopted where I don't eat or drink nearly enough as in years passed

So, there we go. Consider me forum scrooge. Have a war on Christmas for all I care. Or don't. Say whatever you want. Just leave me alone. I'll probably spend the day in the theater watching Rogue One.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2016, 11:25:00 AM »

My coworkers complain when we can’t assign homework over Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. As if somehow this interferes with their ability to teach their classes.

My coworkers complain that our Muslim students get to leave class to pray Salat at noon. Like, we have maybe one Muslim student every two or three years - thus far, all extraordinarily respectful and lovely kids! - and they slip quietly out of class to pray.

My coworkers find all this infuriating. “Imagine,” they cry, “If a Christian kid asked to do that.”

I calmly explain, every single time, that a Christian kid would never HAVE to do that, because every single Christian holy day is a day off school. Good Friday. Easter Sunday. Christmas day. Our entire country interrupts its financial and educational systems - schedules its WEEKS - around the Christian prayer customs and seasons.

God forbid we temporarily unclip the rope barrier and leave an opening for someone whose religious traditions vary from our own.

I feel like many people's experiences are so myopic, they don't see the big picture in these situations.
Indeed.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• As above, so below
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2016, 08:13:29 PM »
However, in fear of becoming like the white guy who claims that racism is no longer a problem, as a non-Christian, I'll bow out of this particular convo. If you guys want to talk about anti-Jewish prejudice, I'll magically reappear.

:superdude

John Petrucci does.  :neverusethis:

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2016, 07:52:16 AM »
Sometimes you just have to take the time to look at the mirror. Take a hard look at yourself. See what might be lingering beneath the surface.