Author Topic: The Astonishing Live 2016 Setlist Wishlist  (Read 18889 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: The Astonishing Live 2016 Setlist Wishlist
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2016, 04:29:52 AM »
Album is 2h and 10 minutes, give or take. Show is 3 hours with intermission, 2h 40' of actual music. Something must account for those 30 or even 20 minutes missing, and they said they wouldn't bring additional performers, not sure if someone reading qualifies as a "performer" but my idea is that the show will still be a DT show, the 5 guys playing, with the atmosphere being enhanced by the videos - JP already confirmed there would be a strong visual element to the shows.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2016, 05:28:59 AM »
How has the show gone from 2h40 with intermission to 3h? Is there any new information i've not seen?

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2016, 05:58:38 AM »
How has the show gone from 2h40 with intermission to 3h? Is there any new information i've not seen?

Exactly what I thought.... I don't think there will be an encore as 2.40 minus intermission leaves very little for anything extra.

Edit: went back again to:

https://www.ticnet.se/event/dream-theater-biljetter/406549

Where it says:

Arrangör: Triffid And Danger Concerts 
Längd: ca 2 tim 40 min inkl paus 
Åldersgräns: 13 år (oavsett målsmans sällskap) 

2 hours 40 minutes incuding intermission
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 06:04:02 AM by SwedishGoose »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2016, 12:37:23 PM »
*Including* intermission? I always thought that the info was that 2h40' was the actual playing time, since if you add 15 minutes of intermission you get, give or take, the usual 3 hours show.

I thought it was reported that way when the info came out from the promoters...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2016, 02:28:38 AM »
Intermissions usually last 15 minutes, so take that away from the 2h40 and it leaves 2h25 for the show, meaning if you take away the 2h10 legnth of The Astonishing they have 15 minutes for an encore, if they do one.

My guess if they do one is Metropolis.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2016, 02:42:19 AM »
We don't know if the show will be exactly as long as the album.... might be extended and the intermission might be 20 minutes

Don't hope for an encore.... it might very well not happen

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2016, 02:58:20 AM »
I don't understand why people keep saying that the show lasts only 2 hours 40 minutes with the intermission.

Please just take a look at BTFW, which has the exact same setlist as EVERYWHERE ELSE.
It does NOT HAVE the intermission time and still clocks more than 2 hours 40 minutes, in fact, I think it's even shorter than other shows considering they didn't jam before Trial of Tears.

So no, stop that, shows last up to 3 hours.
Jatruccyundessgini

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2016, 03:00:07 AM »
We say that because it is promoted as 2 hours 40 minutes including intermission so stop hoping for more...

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2016, 03:05:42 AM »
We say that because it is promoted as 2 hours 40 minutes including intermission so stop hoping for more...

Still having my doubts.
Considering that's just a too precise number for a show, which happens to be the duration of the DVD's.
Second act would be very short in that case.
Whathever, saving my doubts until the setlist is known to us.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Major Thirteenth

• He has his father's eyes... Gomez, take those out of his mouth.
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2016, 08:20:29 PM »
Guys, no encore. Just get it out of your heads. It wouldn't even be appropriate, this is a cohesive thematic show, not a rock concert.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2016, 10:35:29 PM »
Guys, no encore. Just get it out of your heads. It wouldn't even be appropriate, this is a cohesive thematic show, not a rock concert.

Without hearing any of the album at this point, I would tend to agree with this. When I was gearing up for Roger Waters' Wall show, I was thinking about what would be a cool encore, knowing full well that there wasn't going to be one. I know DT's TA show won't have the visual and production scope of The Wall concert, nor does TA album have the legacy of The Wall. But at the end of The Wall show, which was much shorter, I couldn't imagine any other way to end the concert.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2016, 05:44:42 AM »
Just hoping for some extended solos and not just playing exactly like the cd.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2016, 03:07:26 PM »
Just hoping for some extended solos and not just playing exactly like the cd.

I don't think this will happen given what the album is built up to be. I would guess that the main draw of seeing it live would be the visuals.

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2016, 05:51:41 PM »
I don't want an encore. And I guess there will be some extended parts, maybe a little bit of soloing/semi-jamming. No songs from other albums. I think it would be inapropriate actually.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2016, 06:02:27 PM »
My encore prediction:  Behind the Veil, The Spirit Carries On, Pull Me Under
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2016, 12:47:45 PM »
I don't see why an encore would be such out of place. They said they will have visuals to help the story, not that they're gonna build a stage set like Iron Maiden do (and then again... is it really out of place to hear exactly one song about Egypt in a full show played in an egyptian set? ok, no Iron Maiden album has ever been a rock opera, but still, nobody felt all the other songs were out of place in each specific stage set based around a song).

They're gonna come out, play the first CD and then walk out.
15 minutes later they're gonna come out again, play the second CD and walk out again.

It is really so out of place and weird and anticlimatic to have them come out yet again and play a couple of older fan favorites?

Anyway, I fully accept that I'm going to see "The Astonishing Live", they clearly announced it as such. Not gonna complain about the lack of an eventual encore, it would just be the icing on the cake.

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2016, 01:45:10 PM »
Posted this in official The Astonishing thread as well: Petrucci confirmed today by phone that there won't be an encore.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2016, 03:27:36 PM »
Yep, saw it not longer than an hour after my post  :D oh well, at least now we know.

Btw, to honor the original purpouse of this topic, here's my setlist wishlist:

SET 1:

Descent of the NOMACS   
Dystopian Overture   
The Gift of Music
The Answer   
A Better Life   
Lord Nafaryus   
A Savior in the Square   
When Your Time Has Come   
Act of Faythe   
Three Days   
The Hovering Sojourn   
Brother, Can You Hear Me?   
A Life Left Behind   
Ravenskill   
Chosen   
A Tempting Offer   
Digital Discord   
The X Aspect   
A New Beginning   
The Road to Revolution   

SET 2 :

2285 Entr'acte   
Moment of Betrayal   
Heaven's Cove   
Begin Again   
The Path That Divides   
Machine Chatter   
The Walking Shadow   
My Last Farewell   
Losing Faythe   
Whispers on the Wind   
Hymn of a Thousand Voices   
Our New World   
Power Down   
Astonishing 

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2016, 03:23:34 PM »
Maybe they'll just fill up the "extra" time with videos to help tell (enhance) the story?  Those wouldn't necessarily have to have music attached to them, so you can have a 2h10m+ music setlist, plus a 15 min intermission, plus time for videos between songs to get you closer to 3h.  Just a thought... :metal

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2016, 03:25:56 PM »
The shows will be 2 hours 40 minutes including intermission... not 3 hours

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2016, 08:48:25 PM »
The encores would be no more out of place than those done on SFAM (with the exception of Metropolis part I).  I think there is a good chance of a one song encore, so to answer the thread, my wish is:  The Bigger Picture, which I think would be an amazing closer.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn

• Has dined on Honeydew
  • I may or may not be named after Nicholas
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2016, 08:53:47 PM »
It won't happen, but I want them to come out in an encore and do a cover of 2112. That'd be cool.
"Is this the way out from this endless scene? Or just an entrance to another dream? And the light dies down on Broadway."

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2016, 09:30:08 PM »
With a 15 min. intermission, the main show will be 145 min. long. Add in guitar changes, spaces between songs, etc., and that will probably end up being around 165 min., leaving a 15 min. encore. My original thought was they would try to cram ACoS as an incredible 1 song encore. However, if that's too long, I would really love the encore to be Surrender to Reason-The Bigger Picture-Behind the Veil, to give the 3 neglected DT12 songs their time (not counting the festivals last summer).

I mean, my personal wish is for The Glass Prison, but I know that's a pipe dream, maybe forever at this point. :(

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2016, 06:22:00 AM »
The Glass Prison gets my vote. Great encore choice if you ask me.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2016, 06:33:36 PM »
It'd be KILLER. But I doubt it's a high priority song for them, seeing as it hasn't been played at 11 years at this point  :angry: :angry:

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2016, 05:44:25 AM »
It'd be KILLER. But I doubt it's a high priority song for them, seeing as it hasn't been played at 11 years at this point  :angry: :angry:

All the more reason to play it if you ask me.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2016, 01:23:14 PM »
Since it will be a theatrical presentation, I wonder if we'll even hear James talking, except for the very end.

After all when you bill a show as "The Astonishing LIVE" you don't really need to tell "We're going to play the whole album live", so I assume it will be a full head-on performance without any usual show talk between the songs.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2016, 12:59:28 AM »
I don't recall James talking to the audience during SFAM, so its possible he will follow that same format.   However, where SFAM was like one continuous long track,   my understanding is that TA has more space between the tracks, which would allow more opportunity to engage the audience.  I hope he does talk between some tracks to pump up the crowd.

Offline Air Weaver

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2016, 06:43:33 PM »
If this is still up for debate, take a listen to the interview posted with JP on Huffington Post a couple days ago. The link is on the DT page.

John describes the show as if you were going to a broadway musical, or another act that doesn't change venue to venue.

He specifically says "no encore." He contends that it would be weird to go see a show then get a random greatest hits encore.

I believe he is being sincere and consistent here, not setting us up for a surprise encore set. Get used to it. Not because of speculation here, but John P's own words.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2016, 06:29:14 AM »
I read yesterday that there will be costumes and stuff to go along with the story.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2016, 11:25:03 AM »
I get and understand what JP means. Itd be like going to see The Lion King then they start doing a song like Let It Go from Frozen.

We are going to The Astonishing live show, not a Dream Theater show, if you catch my drift.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2016, 08:07:52 AM »
I get and understand what JP means. Itd be like going to see The Lion King then they start doing a song like Let It Go from Frozen.

We are going to The Astonishing live show, not a Dream Theater show, if you catch my drift.

I've got it, if you're talking about your...

Snow drift.

:neverusethis:
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Loggins

• Rocks.
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2016, 06:55:12 AM »
I just wish they'd do a show within a 5 hour drive... and pay a little attention to the South East USA.

This tour looks like a good one.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2016, 11:16:40 AM »
From JP during his AMA on reddit:

Quote from: John Petrucci AMA
Re-creating the live orchestra and choir we used on The Astonishing would mean adding about 60-80 more people to the tour and unfortunately that is unrealistic. However, all of the orchestra and choir recorded by David Campbell will be playing back as part of the live video show that accompanies the stage performance.
So atleast we now know there's no plan for a live orchestra on the upcoming tour, I don't think anyone expected it but atleast we have it confirmed.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2016, 11:34:13 AM »
A New Beginning with extended outro solo.. damn!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E