Author Topic: Def Leppard  (Read 13037 times)

Offline Lepprador

Def Leppard
« on: November 07, 2015, 10:39:38 AM »
What's wrong with your sorry excuse for a forum ? 
No one is hearing the new Def Leppard album ? Really ?

An iconic band releasing its first album in 7 years, a labor of love with details to no end, lush harmonies over heavy guitars in a super-punchy high class non-compressed production, a melodic rock masterwork and not a single post mentioning it ?

What are you thinking ? They are like Bon Jovi,
a soccer-moms nostalgia act ? That had the last good album in Pyromania or even in High'n' Dry, before fully wimping out with Hysteria, selling their souls, hunting for hits ?
(See, i make it easy for you...)

While the new self titled album has its share of softer beautiful moments, it completly rocks down the house. Okay, it's not prog, but proggy in places.
Check the Zeppelin-like "Battle Of My Own" that out-progs everything dream theater did in the last 10 years, or the Beatles-influenced "Blind Faith" and the hands down heaviest hitting song of the album: "Wings Of An Angel".
Don't expect extended instrumental passages, it's all to the point, for a reason and the sake of the song. Still many songs take a twisty turn towards the end.

Do yourself something good and get this antidote to the substitute of music you're used to and enjoy this passionately performed ear candy but still raw enough album of the god **** ******' year.

You can thank me later. You bunch of slow pokes. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Def Leppard
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 10:48:11 AM »
:bosk1:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 12:04:36 PM »
Worst first post ever? :lol :lol

Offline mrrct

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 02:26:02 PM »
He's trolling, obviously.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 02:41:26 PM »
Awesome first post.  I am a big (early) Def Leppard fan..................so welcome, welcome......

but I think the new album is shit  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 03:21:44 PM »
We did briefly talk about it in the hard rock and metal thread. I said it was nice (a lot) and also mentioned One Direction more than I should in a rock album review.

I didn't hate it but it certainly isn't a patch on the glory days.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 05:03:33 PM »
No interest in hearing the new one. I'll stick with the first three

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 06:41:48 PM »
Hysteria riff  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 06:49:59 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 07:13:40 PM »
I just want to say....

HEY HEY!

Overdubbed x 1000.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 05:09:44 AM »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 05:16:32 AM »
Do yourself something good and get this antidote to the substitute of music you're used to
It's a placebo.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 05:19:23 AM »
Do yourself something good and get this antidote to the substitute of music you're used to
It's a placebo.

:lol

I love melodic rock, but I wouldn't call this a "melodic rock masterwork".

And oh yeah, we discussed it in the melodic rock thread. ;)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 05:59:55 AM »
No,No,No, this is not right. I must be in that shitty parallel universe again, where the music world is dominated by Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift, where people believe Def Leppard borrows from One Direction and not the other way around (i don't wanna name any names here: Lowdz).

We did briefly talk about it in the hard rock and metal thread

You did ?  :blush
Well, that's not exactly the best thing that could happen to my built up.
So who ever was the heroic forum member to be the first in that thread of yours, who wasn't denying the existence of the new Def Leppard album, was saving you all from a mighty irreversible
LeChuck voodo curse. In times of my absence he should decide what good music is and what's not, if that question should arise.
I was hoping for a slightly more enthusiastic response, but that has to be good enough for me.
One can't expect too much from your musically non-enlightened bunch.

Class, you should return to the songs I was mentioning to get a new entrance to the album.
I hereby grant you the power to experience the album with the right set of mind and ears.

Imagine Dream Theater...good...
....with a still highly charismatic singer, who is the master of catchy phrasing,
....with a sound design, DT can only dream to have as long Petrucci keeps producing.
I suggest to let a veteran like Trevor Horn or Mutt Lange (who did the last Muse album with stunning results) produce the the next DT album.
Petrucci can always return to producing. There is still a lot to learn from those grandmasters.

TAC (Tactically Advanced Cookie ?)....Hysteria had no riffs ? Come on. Perhaps not from the school of Slayer riffing, but Gods Of War, Run Riot, Armageddon It,  PSSOM and (for you ori.elias5:) Hysteria had some game changing riffs.   

JJ....JJ...that's like saying; "I had 3 blow-jobs in my life. That's enough for me."

KevShmev: Thank you.

bl5150:  :lol...that was disappointing, but your case is not hopeless.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 06:13:27 AM »
Where the hell is my HEY HEY's Lepprador. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 06:31:11 AM »

He's going to need another thread for the 1000 @ Kingshmeglands
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 06:36:29 AM »
I'm too awesome to clone.

Besides, imagine a thousand of me posting.  Everyone would stroke with all the grammar errors. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 06:36:50 AM »
I'm too awesome to clone.

Besides, imagine a thousand of me posting.  Everyone would stroke with all the grammar errors. :lol

I'm having a stroke just thinking about it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 06:37:09 AM »

You and me,babe ?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 06:46:33 AM »

To both of you.   I love it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2015, 06:58:10 AM »
It's ok, you can name me.
I'm well aware that one direction borrowed from def Lep but the first track on this supposed masterpiece reuses the riff from Pour Some Sugar On Me, then uses a chorus that one direction would write, so they borrowed back.
I'd advise a change of attitude if you plan sticking around here past plugging the new Def Lep. And this is a prog metal bands forum so expecting to find lots of people with the same opinion as you regarding a pop rock band is fairly optimistic.
I'll point you again in the direction of the hard rock/ metal thread and there is an AOR thread too where we who do enjoy this sort of thing hang out.

I wrote a pretty lengthy review of my thoughts as I listened the first time. I thought it was ok but a bit of a missed opportunity, especially the led Zep style track which was building nicely but didn't go anywhere.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »
I hope I never hear Pour Some Sugar On Me again.  I liked it back in '88, but it annoys the piss out of me now. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2015, 07:23:10 AM »
I hope I never hear Pour Some Sugar On Me again.  I liked it back in '88, but it annoys the piss out of me now.

Rock of Ages as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2015, 07:25:27 AM »
Rock of Ages was never a favorite, but I don't mind it.  The Leppard songs I am most likely to go for are Foolin', Too Late for Love, Gods of War, Bringin' on the Heartbreak and Rocket.  I actually liked Work It Out, too, which was pretty different for them, but still a good tune.

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2015, 07:35:09 AM »
Lowdz, fair enough.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2015, 07:38:07 AM »
Rock of Ages was never a favorite, but I don't mind it.  The Leppard songs I am most likely to go for are Foolin', Too Late for Love, Gods of War, Bringin' on the Heartbreak and Rocket.  I actually liked Work It Out, too, which was pretty different for them, but still a good tune.

Same here Kev.  Their serious,  darker songs are what I like about them.

BTW,  I saw them with Billy Squire live in 84.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2015, 07:39:12 AM »
Was Squier wearing his pink tank top? :P :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2015, 07:43:21 AM »
He was! :lol

Joe had the flag shorts. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2015, 07:45:22 AM »
:metal

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2015, 07:46:24 AM »

His biggest mistake.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2015, 07:47:19 AM »
Gawd - I tried to forget that  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2015, 07:50:10 AM »

Joe, I'm pretty sure that was in 1983. They were here in Feb or March. I remember that. They opened for Billy Squier before heading out on their own.
Def Leppard was my first concert. June 25, 1983 at the Cape Cod Coliseum. Def Leppard/Krokus/Gary Moore.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2015, 07:57:12 AM »
Seen them several times, the standouts were Donington before Hysteria came out, where Rick got the huge ovation and at Sheffield in the round. Also saw them on the X tour in Birmingham. They were good but had the worst support band ever.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2015, 08:02:15 AM »

Joe, I'm pretty sure that was in 1983. They were here in Feb or March. I remember that. They opened for Billy Squier before heading out on their own.
Def Leppard was my first concert. June 25, 1983 at the Cape Cod Coliseum. Def Leppard/Krokus/Gary Moore.

You may be right.  It's all a blur now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2015, 08:17:35 AM »
I've not heard a LOT of Def Leppard but when I do - I think that Rick Allen's kit is way too complicated for what he is playing...

And that he could easily play most of their drum parts with just one arm :lol