Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1195434 times)

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #2030 on: November 29, 2015, 04:39:22 PM »
Hmm... I didn't know we could post stuff like this. In that case, I've been keeping track of potential studio material that Jordan Rudess has been recently playing at numerous keyboard demonstrations, all of which I think does not sound improvised.
The first video took place right after a studio session sometime in April.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jshQWP0gQ-k
Keep track of everything Jordan Rudess plays without Marco Parisi during the video. The most interesting spot is at the 12 minute mark. Here he talks about and demonstrates a pipe organ sound that he and DT wanted to use for the new album.

Here's two other demo's that Rudess did at Drum Fest 2015. To me, the style of music does match what I would expect to be on the new album in one way or another.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gex6oo7U8FY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoUL_BBICQQ

Wow that's some awesome stuff! Whether or not they're actually gonna use these snippets, if this is the style and sound they're going for I'm definitely hyped :metal
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2031 on: November 29, 2015, 04:41:12 PM »
I doubt the first one is anything new, as Jordan specifically says he is showing sections of an orchestral library.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #2032 on: November 29, 2015, 04:42:52 PM »
Here's two other demo's that Rudess did at Drum Fest 2015. To me, the style of music does match what I would expect to be on the new album in one way or another.

Holy shit!  :eek
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2033 on: November 29, 2015, 04:48:50 PM »

Offline jsbru

« Reply #2034 on: November 29, 2015, 04:50:29 PM »
Hmm... I didn't know we could post stuff like this. In that case, I've been keeping track of potential studio material that Jordan Rudess has been recently playing at numerous keyboard demonstrations, all of which I think does not sound improvised.
The first video took place right after a studio session sometime in April.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jshQWP0gQ-k
Keep track of everything Jordan Rudess plays without Marco Parisi during the video. The most interesting spot is at the 12 minute mark. Here he talks about and demonstrates a pipe organ sound that he and DT wanted to use for the new album.

That last one is totally awesome.  If that's the kind of stuff that's going to be setting the mood/tone for this upcoming album, I'm officially really excited.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #2035 on: November 29, 2015, 04:53:09 PM »
I doubt the first one is anything new, as Jordan specifically says he is showing sections of an orchestral library.

The first one (with the pipe organ) also starts out very similar to I Get Up, I Get Down of Close to the Edge (which also has a similar pipe organ), so it almost sounds like he starts playing that and then goes off and does a tangent improv off of that chord structure.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #2036 on: November 29, 2015, 04:58:11 PM »
When will these videos be unlocked!!!!   :sad:
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #2037 on: November 29, 2015, 05:02:39 PM »
Unless the band trolls us by adding micro islands on each of the next map updates, I think it's safe to say that we'll need at least 4 or 5 (maybe 3?) more updates for the full map.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2038 on: November 29, 2015, 05:55:26 PM »
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #2039 on: November 29, 2015, 06:06:52 PM »
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2040 on: November 29, 2015, 06:09:59 PM »
This is with regard to those who wish Steven Wilson would produce the new DT album.   I give you exhibit A.   Listen to "take shelter" on Anathema's album Distant Satellites then listen to the same song on their new live record "a sort of homecoming"      This is proof that we don't want Steven Wilson anywhere near a Dream Theater album.  ALL of the distant sattelite songs sound better on the new live album.

Bit hard to blame SW when the band completely rearranged the songs for minimalist acoustic arrangements on A Sort of Homecoming. The difference has nothing to do with the mixing.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #2041 on: November 29, 2015, 06:27:55 PM »
Unless the band trolls us by adding micro islands on each of the next map updates, I think it's safe to say that we'll need at least 4 or 5 (maybe 3?) more updates for the full map.

The map is divided in 8 pieces, same number of the characters. Right now we have 3 pieces and 3 chars.. Considering that we're having 2 updates per week, in less than 3 weeks we'll have it all!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #2042 on: November 29, 2015, 06:39:09 PM »

The map is divided in 8 pieces, same number of the characters. Right now we have 3 pieces and 3 chars.. Considering that we're having 2 updates per week, in less than 3 weeks we'll have it all!

I'm waiting.....
 :corn
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2043 on: November 29, 2015, 07:16:38 PM »
I miss clockguy lol
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #2044 on: November 29, 2015, 07:28:32 PM »
I miss clockguy lol

Who was that? I haven't been here long enough to know....   ???
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2046 on: November 29, 2015, 07:39:17 PM »
Clock guy was a non-english speaking user who was convinced that the clock behind the last character had some connection to the album, and that it was a secret. He was fairly insistent, but he was extremely funny.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #2047 on: November 29, 2015, 07:39:25 PM »
I miss clockguy lol

I present you Clock Guy

hey guys. pls look to ch8. back of the picture we have one clock.that we only see  4 number. ( 0-1-1-2) i think the char 8 tell to us the release date of album.01/1/2016.  the number 12 hidden by the head of character.this was my idea. pls txt ur idea about the char8 pls. in 8th cha dt hide the secret about the album and story.

I think this was the first post that started his legacy as Clock Guy. He'll probably come back when the character with the clock in the background will be revealed.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #2048 on: November 29, 2015, 07:40:32 PM »
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2049 on: November 29, 2015, 07:46:59 PM »

So then a new character and map piece tomorrow, right?

Is there a set time that is revealed btw? I'm in California and it's always there when I wake up on the days new info is revealed  . . .

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #2050 on: November 29, 2015, 07:48:19 PM »

New album confirmed!

Did you hear the Mike Portnoy is leaving Dream Theater ??????  :rollin

What!?  :omg:
Was it because of the tensions between him and Kevin Moore? 

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2051 on: November 29, 2015, 07:49:25 PM »

New album confirmed!

Did you hear the Mike Portnoy is leaving Dream Theater ??????  :rollin

What!?  :omg:
Was it because of the tensions between him and Kevin Moore?

Darn you beat me to it (about KM) . . . :lol

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2052 on: November 29, 2015, 07:50:59 PM »
I tho it was because his son Max had just been born and he took paternal time.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #2053 on: November 29, 2015, 07:53:59 PM »
I miss clockguy lol

I present you Clock Guy

hey guys. pls look to ch8. back of the picture we have one clock.that we only see  4 number. ( 0-1-1-2) i think the char 8 tell to us the release date of album.01/1/2016.  the number 12 hidden by the head of character.this was my idea. pls txt ur idea about the char8 pls. in 8th cha dt hide the secret about the album and story.

I think this was the first post that started his legacy as Clock Guy. He'll probably come back when the character with the clock in the background will be revealed.

Ok. Thanks  :yarr
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #2054 on: November 29, 2015, 07:56:22 PM »

I thought it was because it Mike Was stressed they couldn't find a new singer after the booted Dominici, so he quit?  or aren't I up to date?  :corn :rollin
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #2055 on: November 29, 2015, 07:59:47 PM »

I thought it was because it Mike Was stressed they couldn't find a new singer after the booted Dominici, so he quit?  or aren't I up to date?  :corn :rollin

Dominici? Who's that guy? I think you meant Chris Collins.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2056 on: November 29, 2015, 08:00:43 PM »
What happened to Majesty Forums?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #2057 on: November 29, 2015, 08:01:33 PM »
You guys are going to go back before the invention of prog eventually :lol

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #2058 on: November 29, 2015, 08:03:18 PM »
I heard Mozart died last year. Can anybody tell me if that's actually true?

Okay I'll stop now XD

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2059 on: November 29, 2015, 08:05:11 PM »

Okay I'll stop now XD

What's this device and medium we're chatting on?
Is it magic?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #2060 on: November 29, 2015, 08:23:16 PM »

Okay I'll stop now XD

What's this device and medium we're chatting on?
Is it magic?

Its witchcraft!  :angel:
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #2061 on: November 29, 2015, 08:24:48 PM »

Okay I'll stop now XD

What's a Mozart??  :corn
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2062 on: November 29, 2015, 08:31:10 PM »
We need more updates... lol
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2063 on: November 29, 2015, 08:31:56 PM »
JR just uploaded on FB the greatest tease ever.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Illegalastronaught

• Buzz
  • I am not of this world
« Reply #2064 on: November 29, 2015, 08:33:07 PM »

JR just uploaded on FB the greatest tease ever.

:laugh:
"That's one small step for man" - Hollywood