Author Topic: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 (FINAL ROUND RESULTS.. DONE! (finally)  (Read 34207 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 (ROUND 2 RESULTS)
« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2015, 07:27:22 PM »
i'm not, really
and if they're in order then someone could just snub one of them in a round before the specifically marked round but yeah  :lol
(and anyways there's only two or three artists i have lined up that have a fringe chance of being submitted by other people, the rest are rarely if never mentioned by anyone else on the forums but yeah)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #176 on: December 01, 2015, 07:31:50 PM »
Yeah, you do tend so submit a lot of things I've never even heard of. That's good :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2015, 07:41:28 PM »
i don't know why i'm biding my time with East of the Wall in the other two roulettes

i probably shouldn't even if nobody else is going to send them

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2015, 08:29:18 PM »
I am.

I'm actually not. I do like what I've heard from the band, though.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #179 on: December 02, 2015, 03:19:08 AM »
Yeah, you do tend so submit a lot of things I've never even heard of. That's good :tup
For reals? In my roulette he's been sending some of the most famous DTF shit, can we switch roulettes?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2015, 12:40:31 PM »
reminder: this is my second time in flying's roulette, i burned through the popular stuff i wanted to send last time  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2015, 01:02:32 PM »
reminder: this is my second time in flying's roulette, i burned through the popular stuff i wanted to send last time  :lol

I'm trying to go a different route myself as well.  I'll slip some more mainstream in when I can.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #182 on: December 05, 2015, 07:47:31 PM »
i leave for three days and the thread completely dies rip

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: December 05, 2015, 07:52:03 PM »
If you're going to be that impatient, get out of the damn roulette.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #184 on: December 05, 2015, 07:54:23 PM »
i'm not trying to be impatient, sorry

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #185 on: December 05, 2015, 07:57:57 PM »
I just already said it's an extremely busy time of the year, I didn't want to postpone my roulette like others have a done, I wanted to go ahead and work on it despite the end of a very important semester coming up. I started listening to the songs this morning and can have results in tomorrow night. I'm trying my best.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: December 05, 2015, 07:59:00 PM »
i meant it more as a "wow i'm surprised nobody posted in three days" than a "wow i'm mad bizkit didn't post results yet" kind of way but i can see how it could come off as the latter

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: December 05, 2015, 08:06:16 PM »
Well I apologize for receiving it that way. Haha. I know what you mean now.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: December 06, 2015, 06:23:18 PM »
:soon:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: December 06, 2015, 06:26:29 PM »
:soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon:
:soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon:

i need to figure out a way to spell out "SOON" with these

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #190 on: December 06, 2015, 06:30:53 PM »
:soon:
hey man, quit stealing my trademark hype-up machine :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: December 06, 2015, 06:33:25 PM »
I forgot what I sent.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: December 06, 2015, 06:34:56 PM »

oh yeah and i don't plan on changing my round 4 entry that i sent you so that one is still fine, yes
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 06:42:43 PM by Parama »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #193 on: December 06, 2015, 08:02:07 PM »
i need to figure out a way to spell out "SOON" with these

:soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon:
:soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon:
:soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon::soon:

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #194 on: December 06, 2015, 08:03:04 PM »
I have no words...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #195 on: December 06, 2015, 08:13:47 PM »
you actually went through the effort to make blank images the exact size of the soon thing

i'm impressed

also thanks

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #196 on: December 06, 2015, 08:59:18 PM »
bolsters you are my hero

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #197 on: December 06, 2015, 11:52:25 PM »
Round 3 Results:

Scorpion - "A Tap Dancer's Dilemma" - Diablo Swing Orchestra

Alright, I've yet to really get into this band. I dig their style, as it's very unique, but it just never seems to rub me the right way. I've had another song sent to me from them,"Voodoo Mon Amour", and I didn't think much of that one either. This one, I definitely like better, but I just don't ever feel like I want to listen to them. I'm always down to give them more chances and if you have any other songs from them that you think I should hear, by all means, send them my way, I'm all ears!

7/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0 - "Vessel" - While Heaven Wept

Once again, not a bad song, but not something I want to really listen to. I hate to use the word cheesy, because I don't like calling music cheesy that other people like, but I'm not very fond of the vocals. The instrumentation is pretty good, but there's not much pleasure this song has to offer me. I do like the intro quite a bit, but I do think the song is a bit lengthy and overstays its welcome.

7/10

kingshmegland - "God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas)" - I Mother Earth

Interesting entry here, a bit different from what you've usually sent me. The intro was pretty cool and it took a different turn than expected. The vocals here are okay, nothing great to my ears, but certainly not bad. I think what I enjoy most about this song is the drumming, as they have a loud, powerful presence that doesn't go over the top and distract from everything else. The atmosphere of this song overall is cool, but it doesn't hit me in a big way. It's just, "a cool song", but not much more.

7.5/10

Train of Naught - "Unholy" - Slash, ft. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators

Okay, well, I don't like Guns N' Roses, but you know why? Not because of Slash, but Axl, fuck him. I've always admired Slash as a guitar player, despite what anyone says. Now, the best part of the song, Myles Kennedy. I'm a big fan of this guy, he's got a piercing, powerful voice, and this song is a good display of that. I like Alter Bridge quite a bit, and this sounds like something they would release, so I'm certainly not complaining. I'll be honest though, I completely forgot Slash was even in this song when I first listened to it. I expected a bit more of him in this song, but considering the vocals make this song, that's not a bad thing. This is a good song, for sure.

8/10

Sacul - "Back When You Were Beautiful" - No-Man

One of the many Steven Wilson side projects, and one of the few that I have not checked out. I'm not quite sure how I feel about Tim Bowness. I do think he is a good vocalist, but I just don't think it fits in the context of this song, personally. His other song you sent me, "Sing to Me", I REALLY enjoyed his vocals, and that song was amazing. This song puts out a nice vibe, as it's certainly pretty. Though I probably would have liked it more if it had been instrumental. I'm not taking anything away from him, but the vocals in this one didn't really click with me like the other song did. I guess I'm just gonna have to keep checking this stuff out to see if I really like it. The music, on the other hand, is simply fantastic. Beautiful, and the last minute and a half or so is wonderful.

8/10

splent - "Star of Wonder" - Tori Amos

Okay, I actually wasn't really expecting to like this as much as I do. She's quite an amazing vocalist, and I really, really like the mood of this song. I understand why you've been in a mood for this, I completely understand. I've heard her name tossed around several times before, and this is the only thing I've ever heard. I do like what I'm hearing, even if this isn't really an original song. I'm definitely going to be looking into more of her work, nice surprise for sure.

8.5/10

Parama - "Cotard" - The Hirsch Effekt

This song took a bit to grow, as on first listen, I had no idea what was going on. Consider me sold on the vocals, as I think they are excellent. There are parts of this song I really love, but some not so much. Some of the really chaotic parts are interesting, but not appealing to my ears. Luckily, those sections aren't really lengthy, and most of this song has a good sense of melody to it. I really think this song would have been better if the middle had been cut :P The outro is very awesome, too. So yeah, all in all, the vocals, and melodic parts are the areas of this song I really enjoy. The chaotic parts, not so much, but that is outweighed by the good.

9/10

senecadawg2 - "Brothers in Arms" - Dire Straits

The only Dire Straits song I knew before this was "Walk of Life", and this is completely different. Unlike the former, this one is just a laid back, atmospheric story. I do very much enjoy the lyrics, they are beautiful. I love the simple guitar work, the soft conservative drumming, and the vocals. I can definitely see why you like this song so much. I hear fantastic things about this album as whole too, and clearly, there's gotta be a good deal of diversity based on what little I've heard. Cool, relaxing, gorgeous song.

9.5/10

Elite - "Taro" - Alt-J

What a different path you've taken this time, and yeah, it definitely worked. This song is just extremely gorgeous. I'm not even sure what the lyrics mean, at all. The delivery of the vocals is more significant, though. The chorus melody is so unique and memorable, I haven't heard something like this before. For some strange reason, it reminds me of like a more up-beat Sigur Ros, but I could be completely off because I don't know what their other stuff sounds like. Everything in this song works, and all put together, it's just a beautiful creation. Definitely not what I expected you to send me, but I am extremely pleased.

9.5/10

Tom Bombadil - "Dirt" - Phish

Wow, I love this! This one is my favorite of the round, and possibly the entire roulette thus far. Phish is one of those bands that I've listened to very, very little of. All I knew is that they were a very cool jam band from Vermont. Sometimes, I forget Vermont exists :P. But seriously, this song has it all. The beautiful melodies, the smooth and inspiring guitar work, paced, present drumming, a good vibe, and some amazing vocals and lyrics. There's not a better feeling than discovering a song, loving the song, and then getting that feeling of extreme excitement of listening to more of what they have to offer. I've been listening to a lot of them lately, and I thank you very much for that. Such a simple, straight-forward, gem.

10/10

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: FlyingBIZKIT's Roulette v 2.0 (ROUND 3 RESULTS, finally)
« Reply #198 on: December 07, 2015, 12:02:06 AM »
okay yeah 100% sure you don't like crazy intense metal stuff now and really glad I didn't send the other song, haha  :lol
and Brothers in Arms def. deserves the score.
I need to check out more Phish, I've heard like a song or two and they're really interesting so
also check out Lucy Fears the Morning Star by DSO, if you don't like that one then you can be pretty sure you don't like DSO in general
Tapdancer and Voodoo are pretty similar songs so that could be part of the problem there  :lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #199 on: December 07, 2015, 12:04:41 AM »
Well, we have a new leader, yet the top 4 looks to be an extremely tight race with others not far behind.

Standings after Round 3:

1. senecadawg2 (28.5 Points)
2. Sacul (28 Points)
3. Elite (27.5 Points)
3. Tom Bombadil (27.5 Points)
5. kingshmegland (25 Points)
6. Train of Naught (24.5 Points)
6. splent (24.5 Points)
8. Parama (24 Points)
9. Scorpion (23 Points)
10. Shadow Ninja 2.0 (21 Points)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 11:01:05 AM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: December 07, 2015, 12:05:50 AM »
okay yeah 100% sure you don't like crazy intense metal stuff now and really glad I didn't send the other song, haha  :lol
and Brothers in Arms def. deserves the score.
I need to check out more Phish, I've heard like a song or two and they're really interesting so
also check out Lucy Fears the Morning Star by DSO, if you don't like that one then you can be pretty sure you don't like DSO in general
Tapdancer and Voodoo are pretty similar songs so that could be part of the problem there  :lol

I mean, I don't dislike it really, I just would rather have it out if possible. The craziest I can get metal wise is BTBAM, and even their self titled album is too chaotic for me.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #201 on: December 07, 2015, 12:34:44 AM »
with BTBAM i've never even heard their debut, couldn't finish Silent Circus, and Alaska's alright but doesn't get many listens from me
on the flipside they seem to be devolving further into proggy nonsense with each album and i can't get too into their most recent two albums either, soooo
but yeah i'm finding i'm not a big mathcore fan but The Hirsch Effekt do it pretty damn well without ever going overboard like i guess their closest comparison of The Dillinger Escape Plan
seneca has averaged a 9.5 across all three rounds thus far which is crazy, haha  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #202 on: December 07, 2015, 03:15:29 AM »
I hate doing this, but I'm pretty sure my total score doesn't add up to 26.

Firuge It Out: 7,5
Architect of Fortune: 9
The Unholy: 8

Yeah that's 24,5 points, I'm gonna hate myself for doing this.

Anyway I'm glad you liked the singer of a band you already liked  :laugh:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: December 07, 2015, 05:43:35 AM »
Rats!  I thought you'd like the atmosphere and the lyrics more.  OK.  Back to the drawing board.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #204 on: December 07, 2015, 06:02:29 AM »
Tori's stuff is VERY different from album to album. The two or three albums released before her holiday album (which was released in 2009) were different than the two or three albums released before that. She's always experimenting and trying new stuff, while also maintaining the core of her music with that piano songwriter mentality.

My favorite albums of hers are her first two, but if you don't care for Tori after hearing one album, check out another one, because it will sound completely different.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #205 on: December 07, 2015, 08:08:52 AM »
sent

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #206 on: December 07, 2015, 10:51:02 AM »
I hate doing this, but I'm pretty sure my total score doesn't add up to 26.

Firuge It Out: 7,5
Architect of Fortune: 9
The Unholy: 8

Yeah that's 24,5 points, I'm gonna hate myself for doing this.

Anyway I'm glad you liked the singer of a band you already liked  :laugh:

Wow, my math is just off. Thanks for correcting it, maybe you'll get a couple honesty points when it is all said and done..

Also, sometime today, I'll add a list of the bands sent during the roulette just for easy reference when deciding on an artist.

In addition to that, at the very end, I might add a .5 value to songs that I think deserve a higher score when it's all said and done. I obviously won't take any points away so there will be no loss of points, only a gain. I fixed the standings too.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 11:02:23 AM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #207 on: December 07, 2015, 11:10:48 AM »
I'll never get the love for Brothers In Arms. Don't get me wrong I love Dire Straits, but it doesn't pop out like some of their other songs do IMO.

I might consider doing a +.5 for songs I've come to appreciate more too, seems like I already regret some of my choices, scoring is hard.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #208 on: December 07, 2015, 03:35:32 PM »
I'd have trouble sending anything by Tori Amos that wasn't from Little Earthquakes, but I've not heard that particular song.

As for Brothers in Arms, if you don't like it then I don't know what to tell you. You're not broken or anything- your opinion is just as good as mine- but we're never going to find any middle ground on this one. I think it's the best thing they've ever done and one of the best things anyone has ever done.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #209 on: December 07, 2015, 05:57:20 PM »
I'd have trouble sending anything by Tori Amos that wasn't from Little Earthquakes, but I've not heard that particular song.

It's off Midwinter Graces, her holiday album from a few years ago. It's solid. Lots of return to that sound from the 90s.

I'd send anything from Under the Pink, that album is great too.
I don’t know what to put here anymore