Author Topic: The Three Least Special DT Albums  (Read 3254 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The Three Least Special DT Albums
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2015, 10:21:13 AM »
There's a huge change from 8V to SC. I've never understood some people thinking there was little progression.

I know that there is a huge difference between those two albums but again, is it really a larger difference than previous changes?

WDaDU to IaW -Change to a much more focused and methodical style with vastly improved sound quality.
Awake -Change to a heavier and restrained style with a cold sound.
FII -Change to a less heavy and more commercially oriented style with a very full sound.
SfaM -Change to a more technical and grandiose style with a slightly rawer sound.
SDoIT -Change to a more experimental and eclectic style with a fuller sound yet again.
ToT -Change to a heavier and aggressive style with a rawer sound.
8vm -Change to an accessible and varied style with a very polished sound.

I think SC would fit the 8vm description the most but I would still acknowledge a significant difference. DT don't tend to make two albums that sound incredibly similar at once and I think SC would be no exception. But it would be the least different up to that point. I'm not really bothered by any of this though, I'd rather have a great album than a 'special' one.

Your 8V description is kinda vague, and it still doesn't really fit to SC imo. All of DT's albums at that point sounded quite different to each other, and I don't think 8V/SC is any more/less similar to previous pairings. That said, I don't know what pairing I would say is most similar, and it doesn't bother me either, so maybe I'm not trying to make much of a point here. Similarity isn't a bad thing, as long as the music's good.

8V was varied, and went for a more accessible sound, from pop rock to heavier metal/prog, generally much more restrained and melodic. SC wasn't that diverse for DT, focusing more on the heavy, introducing new vocal elements and fantasy lyrics unlike anything they'd done before (or since), with a different atmosphere to match, less melodic moments even bordering on atonal, and less restraint on the shred.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Enigmachine

Re: The Three Least Special DT Albums
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2015, 10:40:28 AM »
There's a huge change from 8V to SC. I've never understood some people thinking there was little progression.

I know that there is a huge difference between those two albums but again, is it really a larger difference than previous changes?

WDaDU to IaW -Change to a much more focused and methodical style with vastly improved sound quality.
Awake -Change to a heavier and restrained style with a cold sound.
FII -Change to a less heavy and more commercially oriented style with a very full sound.
SfaM -Change to a more technical and grandiose style with a slightly rawer sound.
SDoIT -Change to a more experimental and eclectic style with a fuller sound yet again.
ToT -Change to a heavier and aggressive style with a rawer sound.
8vm -Change to an accessible and varied style with a very polished sound.

I think SC would fit the 8vm description the most but I would still acknowledge a significant difference. DT don't tend to make two albums that sound incredibly similar at once and I think SC would be no exception. But it would be the least different up to that point. I'm not really bothered by any of this though, I'd rather have a great album than a 'special' one.

Your 8V description is kinda vague, and it still doesn't really fit to SC imo. All of DT's albums at that point sounded quite different to each other, and I don't think 8V/SC is any more/less similar to previous pairings. That said, I don't know what pairing I would say is most similar, and it doesn't bother me either, so maybe I'm not trying to make much of a point here. Similarity isn't a bad thing, as long as the music's good.

8V was varied, and went for a more accessible sound, from pop rock to heavier metal/prog, generally much more restrained and melodic. SC wasn't that diverse for DT, focusing more on the heavy, introducing new vocal elements and fantasy lyrics unlike anything they'd done before (or since), with a different atmosphere to match, less melodic moments even bordering on atonal, and less restraint on the shred.

Eh, I'd say SC is pretty varied. Forsaken, TDEN, Prophets of War and Repentence are all completely different. As you said, DT at that point were changing significantly for each album so I assume that it would make sense to say SC would be the least distinct in comparison. I do agree though that the quality of the music matters the most, as I said in my original post.