Author Topic: Fluffy's Favourite Albums (currently #2 > #1)  (Read 12661 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: Fluffy's Favourite Albums (currently #8 > #7)
« Reply #140 on: January 01, 2016, 03:41:38 AM »
Agharta is a really good one.

After those, the ones I most enjoyed are probably Porgy and Bess (which is like noir big band) and Milestones, which I mentioned with Kind of Blue.

Having said that, I experienced all the stuff from his fusion period other than the main four studio albums via the Sessions Box Sets, and a LOT of that stuff is incredible. Everything that was originally put on Get Up With It, for example. Just hours and hours worth of great stuff.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #141 on: January 01, 2016, 04:09:52 AM »
I stopped following this thread a while ago for unknown reason but here I am again. There are some cool albums, one of Tool's would be high on my list, too (Aenima probably). I love some Miles Davis, Kind of blue is great. I liked jazz fusion before but now I get headaches from it so Bitches Brew is not for me :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2016, 04:38:27 AM »
I wasn't posting for a few months, so you may have stopped following it because there was nothing to follow for a while there. :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #143 on: January 01, 2016, 05:35:35 AM »
I wasn't posting for a few months, so you may have stopped following it because there was nothing to follow for a while there. :lol
And also, I was following and rarely commenting just DT subforum for months. I forgot where real fun is :P
BTW, happy new year :)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #144 on: January 01, 2016, 07:33:50 PM »
Close to the Edge, man. :hefdaddy

In my top 3 albums ever. Simply a magnificent peak for prog music for me, and music in general. Any time someone blabs about prog being nothing but "soulless wank" and having "no emotion", just show them this one.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2016, 04:13:09 AM »
And also, I was following and rarely commenting just DT subforum for months. I forgot where real fun is :P
BTW, happy new year :)
Indeed. And you too!  :D

Close to the Edge, man. :hefdaddy

In my top 3 albums ever. Simply a magnificent peak for prog music for me, and music in general. Any time someone blabs about prog being nothing but "soulless wank" and having "no emotion", just show them this one.
And not just for its emotion. All the songs, despite the length, are really tightly composed. They don't wander or waffle, it's always very clear where the song is going. I find when you listen to ELP, a lot of Genesis, later Yes, and compare it to this, it has so much focus.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2016, 05:05:38 AM »

Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home (1965)

Bob Dylan’s mid-sixties trio of albums – Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde on Blonde - essentially laid the foundations for the evolution of rock. A heritage in folk and blues and rock and roll; political and social consciousness; attitude; humour; allusions to drug culture; lyrical sophistication; experimentation with song length and structure and instrumentation; a love of both volume and anger, and moments of romance and tenderness – it’s all here, combining in what Dylan described as “that thin wild Mercury sound”.

Highway 61, where this new vision was first fully realised, is held as the greatest of the three by most, followed by Blonde on Blonde. Bringing It All Back Home, with Dylan’s first experiments in the electric and his last failing foothold in traditional folk, is generally seen as the least impressive. Personally, BIABH is my favourite.

Side A is all electric, Dylan accompanied by a full band. While it’s admittedly fairly rudimentary stuff compared to what you can find on H61, I find these first attempts at forging a new sound just as enjoyable and fun a listen. Subterranean Homesick Blues, the first track, is sometimes thrown around in discussions of the first ever rap song. Maggie’s Farm is as fun an expression of anti-establishment discontent as you’re ever gonna hear.

And then there’s Bob Dylan’s 115th Dream, a song that nicely summarises the shift in Dylan’s mindset and philosophy. On Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan, his folk classic, Dylan claimed he’d walk on water to fight injustice; he vowed to stand watch on the graves of weapons manufacturers; he was happier walking round the block than driving a Cadillac. In other words, he has a clear sense of purpose, a steadfast idealism, firmly and confidently planted on his own two feet. In his 115th Dream, the man scrambles hopelessly about trying to work out how to break his mates out of jail. He has his boots stolen, a bowling ball knocks him down in the street, and a foot comes through a phone to kick him in the face. Life is an absurd comical chaos, an indecipherable and unnavigable mess in the face of which we are almost helpless.

Dylan then slams the door shut on his past on Side B by bringing this confused and uncertain spirit to his old unaccompanied folk songs. Mr Tambourine Man pleads guidance from a drug-drenched mythic Pied Piper type figure. The Gates of Eden function as a metaphor for unknowable truth, outside of which all is subjective reality, and all philosophies are just the clutching of the clueless at straws. It’s Alright Ma (I’m Only Bleeding) has Dylan reeling at the enormity of the mess of bullshit modern American culture throws at him, yet still desperately hoping to be able to make some sense of it. It’s All Over Now Baby Blue is like a sadder, more ominous version of The Times, They Are a-Changin’, as Dylan sees that not just the stubborn conservative fatcats, but in a way everyone is having the carpet pulled out from under their feet, that we all have no choice but to come to terms with changes that we aren’t comfortable with.

To me, the four songs on Side B of Bringing It All Back Home are the greatest of Dylan’s career. From the very first listen, I was absolutely stunned by them. Side A’s songs are the icing on the cake, but had this been released as a four song EP without them, it still would have been one of the greatest collections of music ever released. I would go as far as to make the bold claim that they are the pinnacle of lyrical expression in popular music. To illustrate with a few examples:

Then take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow                          from Mr Tambourine Man

The savage soldier sticks his head in sand and then complains
Unto the shoeless hunter who’s gone deaf, but still remains
Upon the beach where hound dogs bay at ships with tattooed sails
Heading for the Gates of Eden                                          from Gates of Eden

A question in your nerves is lit
Yet you know there is no answer fit
To satisfy, insure you not to quit
To keep it in your mind and not forget
That it is not he or she or them or it
That you belong to
But though the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to                                        from It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

Sigur Rós - Takk… (2005)

It seems to be a running theme through many of my favourite pieces of music that while they are certainly not disliked by most fans, they are not one often considered the artist's best (Beethoven’s 6th, Bringing It All Back Home, Deliverance, Mwandishi, Ascension, Santana III). That would definitely apply to Takk… as well, which is normally ranked below Ágætis byrjun and ( ), if not even more of Sigur Rós' albums.

This is in part purely because it was the first of their albums that properly clicked with me. My brother bought ( ) when it came out, and I heard it quite a bit. I didn’t not like it, but it was sort of on the peripheries for me. I very slowly started to warm to it, but hearing it didn’t provoke any impulse to hear it again and seek it out myself. Years later, I spotted Takk… in a cheap bin at a music store, and despite not being sold on ( ), being a poor student, and it costing me my budget for recreation for an entire week, I grabbed it. I took it home and did something I don’t think I’ve ever done with an album before or since: I listened to it right through three times in a row in a state of absolute adoration.

(I acknowledge that this next point is a simplified way of looking at music, but I'll still put it as it came to me.)

Once a band has established their signature style of music, there are really only so many directions they can go in. They can throw it away and start again with something different; they can make light adjustments to it in a state of semi-stasis; they can push it into more experimental and less accessible territory; or they can make it more relatable to traditional popular music, and reshape it into a more accessible, commercial form. I guess your average music fan is only opposed to or in favour of any of these depending how well it’s done, but if one of them is the most criticised, it’s certainly the last. It actually has a derogatory term bestowed upon it: selling out.

Now while most Sigur Rós fans don’t hate Takk…, I get the feeling it isn’t as well-regarded as the previous two albums because on it, they had taken their first steps down that path of streamlining their formula and “watering it down”, and that most fans didn’t feel this was necessary, or preferable. I personally think it was the best move they ever made, though there’s a fine balance (which I think they lost on their next album). But I think the album struck me so strongly and so immediately because now every single song wasn’t a massive, daunting, slow motion epic. Much more digestible songs like Hoppípolla and Gong and Glósóli are found throughout, that are nonetheless still unmistakably Sigur Rós songs, dreamy, climactic, often quite minimalistic.

The album’s other winning quality is its tone. In my mind, this has always been the “happy” Sigur Rós album, though again, that’s admittedly an oversimplification. I turn to this album more than any of their others (except for maybe Valtari in recent years), it’s all the more powerful, because it feels lighter and brighter. The beauty which is there in all of their music is much more tangible and readily available here; in moments like the end of Andvari and the whole of Mílanó, you can almost see it. There are times when I’ve listened to this album in that hazy mental state on the verge of sleep that I could swear I have seen it.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: Fluffy's Favourite Albums (currently #6 > #5)
« Reply #147 on: January 03, 2016, 11:45:40 PM »
No takers then?

I'll update sometime today.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2016, 12:47:11 AM »
i like Takk but i don't like it more than Agaetis or ( ) and I haven't spun it to death like i have those two

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #149 on: January 04, 2016, 02:55:12 AM »
Takk is an amazing album, second best SR album after () for me.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2016, 04:54:04 AM »

The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute (2005)

(I will borrow somewhat from comments I’ve made about this album in various threads over the past year.)

When I first heard a few songs from Deloused in the Comatorium, I thought they were interesting, and this new band was obviously doing exciting things, but I wasn’t quite convinced to check out the entire album. In contrast, Frances the Mute was released in my first month of university, and I bought it after hearing about two or three minutes of Cygnus… Vismund Cygnus in a music store. That was all the convincing I needed. To my knowledge, that’s the only time I ever bought an album just from hearing it in a store.

A fairly common trait amongst my favourite albums is they are music made with complete lack of regard for genre conventions and restrictions. They are great myriads of styles in which the artist is carving their own path and realising some unique vision. It definitely applies to Bitches Brew and Bringing It All Back Home; I would say the same of all of the three albums to come, and of Frances the Mute. A review I read at the time put it nicely that the band was bending the musical vocabulary in ways no band had ever done, to say things previously unsaid.

On Frances, the band’s sharp, frenetic, acidic punk-prog was now manoeuvred paradoxically almost entirely into the pursuit of writing epics. There are five songs, and only one is under ten minutes. As with Deloused, there’s an underlying story to the album about a mute man searching for his mother or something like that, but luckily for those of us who can’t stand concept albums, you can completely ignore it if you wish. The Mars Volta are another band who write lyrics of the style I described with Close to the Edge, “to communicate emotions and tones in an abstract sense through an outpouring of imagery and the way the language feels.” In their case, they fashion out of words a constantly bewildering, unsettling nightmare.

Twenty five wives in the lake tonight
Raw bark in the water of the marble shrine
Twenty five snakes pour out your eyes
Twenty five snakes are drowning 

Largely due to how long it is and its resulting capability to impress compared to every other track, The Widow is the weakest, though not weak by any means. Every other song is a staggering maelstrom. L’Via L’Viaquez jolts between juxtaposing sections and then eventually collapses into a single distorted lyric. A friend who once came to visit me as Miranda… was playing remarked that “it feels like I just walked into a fucking sandstorm”, and then put his hood over his head and hunched over in the middle of the room.

Just short of half the album is taken up by Cassandra Geminni, which, I would make the bold claim, is the single greatest prog epic yet written. More often than not, I’m not the biggest fan of when prog bands try to go beyond 12-15 minutes and write grandiose multi-movement suites in a single song. The large majority of prog bands do nothing but prove themselves woefully incapable of writing a song of that length that feels like one composition. Most of the time, they just smoosh together a bunch of shorter pieces of music that are poorly connected and related to each other at best. Occasionally, this can still result in a good song, but it normally feels contrived, arbitrarily compiled, and pointless to me.

At no point in its thirty two minutes does it feel like The Mars Volta did this with Cassandra Geminni. Barring the obvious album bookend at the very end, the whole thing feels seamless, like a single piece of music. There's an initial verse/chorus/verse section at the start that lasts about five minutes, which the song then departs from and leaves waaaaay behind, but the whole way, it feels like it's progressively going on from where it’s already been, expanding on what was already said, as opposed to doing one thing for five minutes, then abandoning it and moving on to a completely new chunk of music. In short, this is a single 32 minute song, not a 32 minute stitching together of a collection of semi-songs. My favourite moments are probably that of the lyrics I quoted above, the opening verse/chorus section, and one towards the end where the song rises, from a quiet punctuated by a lonely guitar solo, back up with echoing blasts and a sax played to sound like a screaming animal.

Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert (1975)

By chance, I eventually lived only half an hour from Cologne, and so I was to see the Kölner Oper quite frequently in years to come, but in 2008, when I first visited Cologne, so dear to me was this album that, with only a day or two in the city, I made a pilgrimage to find the building where one of the greatest moments in the history of music had spontaneously sprung forth. I arrived at the building at I think about 7:00 on an icy February winter’s night. The building was unspectacular, but there were lights on inside. A performance was soon to take place, and people were gathering in the foyer. I stumbled in, found someone with some authority, and managed to communicate in my shitty schoolboy German that I would like to see the performance hall, to simply look at the room, even if just for a few moments. They were not pleased with this deviation from a normal night’s events, but agreed; I could see the room, but only for the few seconds they could spare me, and I couldn’t take any photos. There is barely a memory in my head I cling to, I fight to retain the clarity and totality of my experience of, more than the few seconds that I stood in and looked upon that room.

As I said in my description of Vienna Concert, Keith Jarrett made his career into a kind of stand against jazz fusion, and the loss of traditional jazz in the trend of electricisation. His main approach were solo piano concerts in which he improvised every second of music, every theme, every solo, every note. The Köln Concert, the sixty five minutes of music he plucked out of thin air on January 24th, 1975, is his grand statement. It is the proud, stately, shimmering antithesis to the eerie gloom of Bitches Brew. Jazz must not be lost in a wave of distortion, this music insists. It will not be lost. The Köln Concert is now the best-selling album of solo piano music in history. Though it was entirely improvised, the quality of the music as it stands is such that it has been transcribed, and classical composers are starting to put out their own interpretations of it.

Whereas Jarrett’s music is mostly fairly sombre and dark, like that on Vienna Concert, this evening was a joyous affair. Which is bizarre – Jarrett was supposedly suffering from terrible back pains, and had to wear a brace. He wasn’t sleeping well, he arrived in Cologne late, and only to discover the wrong piano had been delivered to the opera house, one that was far from an acceptable standard. Jarrett, who has a reputation for being demanding and particular at the best of times, almost pulled out, but for whatever reason, he went on stage, put everything behind him, and apparently found a “happy place” inside himself from which he could create this music.

The entire concert consists of two pieces of music (three, really; there is a break between Part IIb and Part IIc, and the latter isn’t a continuation of the former). Part I is 26 minutes, Part II about 33 without IIc, which runs for about five. Part I is the best piece, it evolves and proceeds more quickly and thus is more consistently interesting and exciting than Part II, which is still incredible, but in which Jarrett finds his way to the musical peaks more gradually and patiently. Part IIc is a brief joyful coda to wrap up the evening.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Fluffy's Favourite Albums (currently #4 > #3)
« Reply #151 on: January 04, 2016, 05:02:10 AM »
Frances! :metal

No time to read the entire thing now, will do in a bit, but I'm glad to see not to be the only one with that album in my top 10

I agree, The Mars Volta broke musical barriers never seen before with this album, risky, but boy did it pay off. As for The Widow, I like it a lot but I can see how it could be overshadowed on an album full of crazy good epics.
Great writeup on Cassandra Gemini also, my favorite part is the chorus, simple answer but c'mon:

No there’s no light
In the darkest of your furthest reaches
No there’s no light
In the darkest of your furthest reaches!

love it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:46:21 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: January 04, 2016, 05:15:20 AM »
nice, nice.  frances, i dont love as much as you, but you make it sound really convincing, i should revisit it.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #153 on: January 04, 2016, 05:21:55 AM »
Frances  :heart

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #154 on: January 04, 2016, 10:27:02 AM »
I should revisit The Mars Volta because I just stopped listening to them after hearing one album I disliked (don't know which one). But I know I liked De-Loused in the Comatorium.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #155 on: January 04, 2016, 07:22:35 PM »
I'll post the last two tonight. The last write-up is a fucking behemoth.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2016, 02:14:29 AM »
Behemoth on #1 confirmed  :hat
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #157 on: January 05, 2016, 03:07:12 AM »

Charles Mingus – The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (1963)

After Miles Davis and John Coltrane, the most popular musician and bandleader in jazz is almost certainly bassist/pianist/fucking genius Charles Mingus. Mingus operated within the same post-bop space as most other big names did in the late 50s and early 60s, but from his background in big band jazz, he could bring to it a flair for groove and swing, a precisely arranged tumultuousness, and a greater sense of tight, planned composition. In most jazz pieces, a vibe is established at the outset and the solos roll forth from there. Mingus songs could twist and turn, a mass of voices could enter and leave throughout the song at his whim. The man also had an uncanny sense for the avant-garde, and a strange sense of humour, which emanates throughout his music.

The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is Mingus’ magnum opus. In his own words, “throw all other records of mine away except maybe one other…. This is the first time the company I have recorded with set out to help me give you, my audience, a clear picture of my musical ideas…” Its four tracks are one massive forty minute suite, a great slab of experimental big band. Themes are cumulatively established and then recur and are used in new ways and taken in new directions across all four tracks. By the end of the album, they are coming so thick and fast, they are overlapping and running into each other, yet the whole thing is meticulously crafted, like a symphony being played by a jazz band.

How different is The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady from other jazz? If you look at old jazz albums, they normally came with liner notes like this and this, a comprehensive review and breakdown of the album by a jazz critic, frequently printed right there on the back sleeve of the album. At Mingus’ request, Black Saint’s liner notes include a review written by his psychiatrist, Edmund Pollock. Mingus famously had a fiery temper, and suffered from periods of depression, which inspired the music on this album. Bold claim: this is the most emotionally charged and riveting album in the jazz canon. Like Rachmaninoff’s 3rd Piano Concerto, it can move from gorgeous bliss at one moment, to agonising, heart-rending despair the next.

It’s hard to speak of favourite parts in such an interconnected work as this. There are countless moments of an ilk you won’t hear on any other album, and their power comes from their context not just within the track, but the suite overall. So I will just post a link to the whole thing. However, the album culminates in the end of the last track, where all previous themes are dropped cold and one new, last great expression of pain and defiance is screamed out over and over for the last four or five minutes - the closest thing I can compare to it is the ending of Opeth’s Deliverance – before the album comes full circle, returning to the beginning, and expires with one more cry of anguish from the saxophone.

The Grateful Dead - Live/Dead / Fillmore West 1969 (recorded 1969, first released in 1969, second in 2005)

Way back in the list, I described how Scenes From A Memory was the single most transformative album I ever listened to, that it took my narrowing musical taste and led me to look again at all rock and metal and further, into a vast array of genres. There was a clear and distinct Before SFAM and After SFAM. That album was like a rebirth, the real beginning of my taste in music.

In that sense then, I view my discovery of Live/Dead and The Grateful Dead as being the other bookend, an ending of sorts. Few keen voyagers of the seemingly endless sonic landscapes would like to admit that one day, their lust for a new mountain range might expire, they might have travelled to every country that they’re going to enjoy traversing, that they may find an exciting new village or two in places already dear to them, but their wanderlust will have ceased, if they haven’t simply exhausted their possibilities. It feels like The Grateful Dead was one last great vista I laid my eyes upon and whose heights I scaled before my enthusiasm for exploring largely fell away, perhaps directly as a result of finding them. As the years have passed since, I now doubt I’m going to regain that enthusiasm, but I feel no regret or sadness about it, because of the sheer unfathomable brilliance of that last place I found myself.

Who are the Grateful Dead then? If you haven’t looked into them much, you probably know them as that hippie jam band who did some folky songs (and maybe you’re familiar with Touch of Grey, their 80s hit).

The Grateful Dead are the nexus of a huge number of genres. In their thirty years of music, you can find at least moments of: psychedelic rock, both a breezy form and a miasmal swampy heavy kind; folk, country and bluegrass; blues rock; rock and roll; jazz and fusion; space rock, heading into avant-garde and the roots of noise rock; funk and reggae and disco moments; there are even a few prog-inflected tracks in there. I once saw them described as the culmination of all Americana and American music, at least up until the mid-70s, and it's really not that much of a stretch to say that.

The appeal of the band is largely in their live music, and a pretty good majority of the 2,250 odd shows they played are out there, as audience recordings and/or soundboard recordings made by the band and then slyly distributed to the masses by their archivist of mixed loyalties in the 90s, Dick Latvala. The band’s live sound constantly evolved. You can listen to them in 1969 and 1970 and you’re listening to a different band. Hell, with time, you can listen to shows a few months apart and your ear will pick up their subtle evolution. The band changed up their songs a lot, and there were a few that the band had no fixed way of playing whatsoever, where every performance was a new adventure.

The closest you'll get to a consensus amongst Deadheads is that the best year for live performances is one of 1969, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1977, 1989 or 1990. Their first peak then, and possibly their greatest, is documented on Live/Dead and Fillmore West 1969.

Both of these live albums are taken from a run of four concerts in San Fran in 1969. The band’s sound throughout the preceding few years had been a slow perfection of a steamy, heady, wild, often quite heavy psychedelic rock, and it finally reached an apex in these shows.

Live/Dead opens with the band’s signature song, the indefinable metamorphosing deep space bliss of Dark Star. This 23 minute performance is one of the best the band ever pulled off, and is a nice introduction to where the song and the band are capable of going – to use an infamous quote, “their music touches on ground that most other groups don’t even know exists”. Want to know the scale of this song? Here's a jazz pianist breaking down and analysing this performance of Dark Star - for ninety minutes. And need I reiterate that this is ONE take of a song that varied vastly performance to performance.

They then go on to the more conventional, but still strange St. Stephen, before the full throttle reckless kaleidoscopic attack of The Eleven, which curves around to Turn On Your Lovelight. This band had a variety of personalities across its history, and a major one of the early years is keyboardist and horny bluesman caricature Pigpen, whose crowning moment in the band is probably Lovelight. Next is the much more subdued, blues-ey, but lyrically dark Death Don’t Have No Mercy, before eight minutes of the band composing with screaming feedback, and then they sing goodnight a capella.

This 75 minute album is the merest sampling though. For a fuller look at the band’s music during those four shows, there’s the three and a half hour companion Fillmore West 1969 (there’s also a ten disc boxset out there with every minute of all four shows). Highlights are the nuclear doom epic Morning Dew, another jawdropping Lovelight, heartrending psychedelic folk piece Mountains of the Moon, a very different reading of The Eleven; and the entire third disc, with one of the band’s other signature jam pieces, the hard-rocking That’s It For The Other One, and a 55 minute continuous run though Alligator, Caution, Feedback and And We Bid You Goodnight.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Fluffy's Favourite Albums (currently #2 > #1)
« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2016, 03:15:03 AM »
Oh dear, two albums I don't know. I fact, I don't know any albums in your top 3 - that rarely happens woth lists like these. Nice write-ups though :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2016, 03:22:46 AM »
To be fair, I doubt any of them is an album that is typical of making anyone's lists at all.

But that's half the point of writing about them. Maybe they'll spark someone's interest.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2016, 03:25:39 AM »
I know, that's partly why I don't follow these lists as much as I used to. I realised at a certain point that most (on this forum) contain the same (progressive) metal albums all over again in different orders. Yours is definitely something different, really nice!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2016, 03:33:08 AM »
I'll add lastly: a comment lonestar made on the first page.

*waits for a bunch of Dick's Picks*
(Dick’s Picks being a series of live albums by the Dead)

The fact is, if I was putting on this list every live album by this band worthy of inclusion, there would have been a LOT more on here. But I couldn't possibly have done them justice before this summary of the band, nor did I want to choke up the list with ten or so Dead live albums. But this list could easily have also featured, at the very least, these two albums:

Dick’s Picks Volume 36: 9/21/72 and 9/3/72

In the three years between 1969 and 1972, the band had added a total of about 75 more songs to their live output, a massive collection of folk, country, rock and roll, and blues, not to mention a few more huge jams. AND their old jam pieces were now drastically different pieces, taken into very new territory, and often finding their way up to 45 odd minutes. DP36 gives you a staggering full four hour show from September 1972 as well as another hour from a show in the same month.

Dick’s Picks Volume 12: 6/26/74 and 6/28/74

By 1974, the band’s style had become very spacey and chilled out, frequently with a very jazzy touch to it, while at times also the most weird and avant-garde they ever got. DP12 gives you the second sets of two back to back shows from June of 1974, both with colossal jamming and musicianship on display. The second show features maybe my favourite Dead song, one of very few songs that carry such resonance for me, I could have them played at my funeral, at my wedding, on every day of my life. That song is the very simple dreamy To Lay Me Down.

To lay me down once more
To lay me down
With my head in sparkling water/clover (depending which performance of the song you’re listening to)
Let the world go by
All lost in dreaming
To lay me down one last time
To lay me down

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2016, 03:52:04 AM »
While I can't say much about the top 2-4 albums, I've enjoyed following this list, Fluffy.  This list is like a breath of fresh air, and I'm glad to see there's a list on DTF without multiple mentions of Haken or Devin Townsend or *insert progressive metal band I don't care for here*, etc.  Not that that stuff is bad - it was just nice to see a bit more of an eclectic mix.  I think mine would be somewhat similar to yours in terms of 'obscure for DTF'.  Great work, lovely write-ups, very unique and eclectic taste.  Nicely done. 

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2016, 04:01:01 AM »
I always respect anyone's list, regardless of if it's my cup of tea, I want to know how people feel about their #1 and what made it so special to them. I'm very much a modern rock/metal guy but I can still very much appreciate the classics, never heard of Grateful Dead, but they sound like they have a lot of long experimental jams if in the right mood. Don't know if I'll be able to sit through these songs if it's too laid-back though, one of the elements you describe this band by is kind of similar to that in your Frances writeup, in that they don't really care for genre restrictions and create their own path, I dig that, but I doubt this'll be anything like FTM.

Will report back when I've listened to some of the linked songs.

EDIT: yeah very cool twist to the regular top 50, I actually forgot about a huge chunk of this list because it was so long ago but it's really cool to have some new shit thrown in, even if I'm unfamiliar with them, gives me something to potentially check out sometime. Thanks for doing the list!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2016, 04:45:05 AM »
Cheers guys!

Here’s the full list. Like I said early in the thread, I’ve shuffled the order a bit while I’ve been making the thread, and a few albums I didn’t even post about are now in the lower parts of the list, but this is (for now) the final version.

1 The Grateful Dead - Live/Dead / Fillmore West 1969 (1969)
2 Charles Mingus – The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (1963)
3 Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert (1975)
4 The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute (2005)
5 Sigur Rós - Takk… (2005)
6 Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (1970)
7 Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home (1965)
8 Yes - Close to the Edge (1972)
9 Tool – Lateralus (2001)
10 Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues (2011)

11 Van Morrison - Astral Weeks (1968)
12 Swans - To Be Kind (2014)
13 Soundgarden – Superunknown (1994)
14 Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (1959)
15 Sergei Rachmaninoff – Piano Concerto No. 3 (1909)
16 Miles Davis - In a Silent Way (1969)
17 Ludwig van Beethoven – Symphony No. 6 (1808)
18 Sigur Rós - ( ) (2002)
19 Keith Jarrett - Vienna Concert (1992)
20 Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets (1998)

21 Ludwig van Beethoven – Symphony No. 9 (1824)
22 The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East (1971)
23 John Coltrane – Ascension (1965)
24 Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin 4 (1972)
25 Oasis – (What’s the Story) Morning Glory (1995)
26 Jeff Buckley – Grace (1994)
27 Machine Head - Burn my Eyes (1994)
28 The Verve - A Northern Soul (1995)
29 Shihad – Killjoy (1995)
30 Shakti – Shakti (1976)

31 Ben Howard - I Forget Where We Were (2014)
32 Beirut - Gulag Orkestar (2005)
33 Shivkumar Sharma and Hariprasad Chaurasia – Rasdhara (2006)
34 Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven (2000)
35 Salmonella Dub - Inside the Dub Plates (1998)
36 The John Butler Trio - Sunrise Over Sea (2004)
37 Herbie Hancock – Mwandishi (1971)
38 Florence and the Machine – Lungs (2009)
39 Opeth – Deliverance (2002)
40 Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky – Symphony No. 4 (1878)

41 Ravi Shankar - Live: Ravi Shankar at the Monterey International Pop Festival (1967)
42 Lo’Jo - Bohême De Cristal (1999)
43 Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan (1963)
44 Massive Attack - Blue Lines (1991)
45 Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (1970)
46 Claude Debussy - La Mer (1905)
47 Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (1975)
48 Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head (2002)
49 The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath (2008)
50 Radiohead - Kid A (2000)

-

51 Santana - Santana III (1971)
52 Nikhil Banerjee - Afternoon Ragas (1970)
53 Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (1998)
54 Fat Freddy’s Drop - Dr Boondigga and the Big BW (2009)
55 Counting Crows - August and Everything After (1993)
56 System of a Down – Toxicity (2001)
57 Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory (1999)
58 Sepultura - Beneath the Remains (1989)
59 Metallica - Ride the Lightning (1984)
60 Tim Buckley - Happy/Sad (1969)

61 Bedřich Smetana - Má vlast (1875-1880)
62 Rage Against the Machine - Battle of Los Angeles (1999)
63 Shakti - A Handful of Beauty (1976)
64 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Symphony No. 41 (1788)
65 Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind (1997)
66 Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (2007)
67 Tim Buckley – Lorca (1970)
68 Shivkumar Sharma, Brijbushan Kabra, Hariprasad Chaurasia - Call of the Valley (1967)
69 Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment 2 (1998)
70 Lo’Jo - Cinema el Mundo (2012)

(There’s also an album from the past few years that I think would now make the lower reaches of this list, but rather than shuffling the list again, I’ll just add it here as an honourable mention)

-- Fire! Orchestra – Enter (2014)

Grateful Dead Extras
Dick’s Picks 36: 9/21/72, 9/3/72
Dick’s Picks 12: 6/26/74, 6/28/74
Winterland June 1977: 6/9/77
Europe ’72: 4/8/72, 5/11/72, 5/26/72 (every concert from this Europe tour has been released, and every one I’ve checked out is brilliant. These are the best, but don’t ask me to pick one).
Dick’s Picks 8: 5/2/70

Honourable mention artists:
Damien Rice
Jacques Brel
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2016, 11:21:02 AM »
Thanks to Mr. Roso for recommending me American beauty by Grateful Dead, really cool album. I may check your #1 pick some day, it seems cool. Didn't hear your #2 neither but I'm aware of Charles Mingus' greatness and I know some songs from Mingus Ah Um. Overall, this was unique list, I liked reading it :)
It's fun because it covers lot of territory. If I did top 50 list, I think everyone here would know every album :lol

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2016, 02:11:25 PM »
Frances is absolutely fantastic. :hefdaddy

The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is an essential for any jazz fan. It's just a stellar record, I prefer it even to the likes of A Love Supreme.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2016, 07:23:05 PM »
Takk is one album I wished I could get into, but Jonsi's vocals are far too high-pitched for my taste, so  :lol

Damn, this definitely was an excellent list all around! I'm going to check some of these for sure, thanks  :smiley:

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2016, 07:12:25 PM »
Great list. Some near-misses for me:

Beethoven: Symphonies 3, 5 and 7.
Bob Dylan: John Wesley Harding and Nashville Skyline
Black Sabbath: Paranoid and Sabotage
Led Zeppelin: HOTH, Physical Graffitti and II

On the money with Mozart Symphony 41 and Sepultura Beneath the Remains
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa