Author Topic: First DT song you fell in love with?  (Read 5055 times)

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
Re: First DT song you fell in love with?
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2015, 10:08:20 AM »
In The Name of God
I had listened to a bunch of their songs by that time but this one stood out. It's lenght is exactly the time I need to walk from home to school and damn did this song make the walk better. Also I discovered them only last year (am 19 now) but I quickly got into them and I am a fan now.

Hope for a concert in BG this tour

Cool, that's definitely one hell of a song! I'm around your age and also been listening for only a few years as well, go figure  :lol

There's nothing like the journey of becoming a Dream Theater fan. I still remember that feeling of awe going through all the albums and listening to them one by one, knowing barely anything about music beforehand. Wish I could go back to those moments!
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2015, 10:24:13 AM »
That's a simple answer.  The first DT song I heard in 1992 was PMU.  So yeah...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2015, 11:11:55 AM »
I have a bit of a different story than a lot of people.  I first heard DT in the mid to late 90s and wasn't all that impressed and don't even remember what songs I heard.  Later, I felt like getting out of town and some friends were driving to Milwaukee to see DT so I went along.  In the lead up to the show, I heard some of Scenes from a Memory.  I didn't love it but I was intrigued and kept going back to it.  My favorite music is usually composed in a minor key so when I heard Overture 1928 I was surprised I didn't hate it.  I spent the next year listening to Scenes from a Memory off and on but I never really "got it" although I  did appreciate it and liked a lot of the melodies and strange time signatures.

Over the next few years I scoured the used CD stores and got the rest of their catalog.  My reaction to the rest was about the same.  Definitely not my favorite band but I sure did like it.  Then when I had it playing the background, Anna Lee came on.  I had heard it before and usually skipped it but this time it finally spoke to me.  I fell in love with it.  Later I listened to Hollow Years and had the same reaction.

So even though I definitely like DT's heavy stuff the most now, it was actually some of their softer stuff that turned me on to them.  Train of Thought came out and I finally "got it" and by the time 8V came out, I was a hardcore fan. 

In summary: I've listened to DT for the better part of 15 years but for some reason only became a hardcore fan for the last 10+

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2015, 05:43:03 AM »
Another Day.

Glad not to be alone here. I hate to admit it, but AD is to me the perfect ballad, and one of JP's top 3 solos. The way how every note counts and how perfect it fits is just amazing. And not to mention JLB's vocals are his best.

Offline thosava

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2015, 12:42:11 PM »
Mine was Octavarium. I had been listening a lot to the longer Iron Maiden songs for years. Then i started looking for more long songs, and found some in Pink Floyd, Rush and Jethro Tull. I knew i wanted long songs, and something more metal. Then i listened to Octavarium, and there is no more to say about that  :hefdaddy

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2015, 04:53:58 PM »
Mine was, as some other people here, In The Name of God too.  :metal

I consider this song to be THE song that "saved" me from the techno genre, and set me on the path of Prog Metal, when I was much younger.  :hefdaddy
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline Shine

« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2015, 06:39:41 PM »
The Dark Eternal Night

I was a big fan of Metallica and Dragonforce. This song was *designed* for me.

Not as big a fan anymore. Prefer earlier era DT stuff or lighter prog rock/fusion now, but occasionally the heavier stuff still scratches a certain itch that nothing else can.
lake of fire

Offline r3d86

• GO BRONCOS!!
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2015, 11:44:37 AM »
Erotomania-Voices-The Silent Man

Offline Frankgate

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2015, 11:49:34 AM »
A Fortune In Lies (in 1991 circa)