Author Topic: First DT song you fell in love with?  (Read 5057 times)

Offline V_R11

First DT song you fell in love with?
« on: October 26, 2015, 08:10:16 AM »
Mine was Through Her Eyes. I was 13 and that was the song my friend introduced me to the band with. After that I started going through their discography on my own and Endless Sacrifice was my next jam
Seasons change and so can I

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: First DT song you fell in love with?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 08:13:30 AM »
Probably Metropolis Pt. 1.

Pull Me Under was the first DT song I heard, on the radio in 1992, and it certainly intrigued me enough to buy the album, but I wouldn't say that I was in love with it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 08:20:19 AM »
Another Day.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 08:20:40 AM »
PMU was the first I heard, but Surrounded was the first one I loved and made me want to explore their stuff.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Art

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 08:21:44 AM »
Probably Metropolis Pt. 1.

Pull Me Under was the first DT song I heard, on the radio in 1992, and it certainly intrigued me enough to buy the album, but I wouldn't say that I was in love with it.

This. But i think it was 1995.

Offline 425

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 08:23:32 AM »
Learning to Live. My first album was Train of Thought, which I liked but did not absolutely love at the time, then I got Images and Words after hearing Pull Me Under and being intrigued, and Learning to Live was it for me. Wait for Sleep, too, but Learning to Live was the main one.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 08:34:36 AM »
First song I fell in love with was Endless Sacrifice, and the first album I listened to entirely was BC&SL.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 08:55:17 AM »
As I Am

My guitar teacher was a fan and he gave me the verse riff as one of my first assignments.

And that badass solo!
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 09:17:05 AM »
I think in was Panic Attack. It was the first song I heard by them and I was hooked instantly.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 09:29:09 AM »
Pull me under on MTVs Headbangers Ball... loved it, bought the record the next day and fell in love.
Couple of months later I saw them live for the first time in a small club in Stockholm called Melody. What a show that was...

Been loving the band ever since...

Offline pcs90

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 11:25:06 AM »
Honestly, the first thing from DT I ever heard was that Mike Mangini audition jam video, because I wanted to check out MM's playing. I had already heard JR's solo stuff and LTE but hadn't gotten around to checking out DT yet, but that convinced me instantly. The second half of that jam, where it gets more jazzy up until the end, is magical.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 11:28:15 AM »
.....Constant Motion.

It was Rock Band 2, September 2008, playing the drum track. That double kick in the intro enthralled me and I went out and bought Systematic Chaos and fell in love with the band.

Immediately after that though, I fell in love with Surrounded. Christmas 2008, I had all of my Christmas decorations up and listening to that album--it was magical. I will always remember those moments
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 11:29:08 AM »
Mine was the Instrumedley. I remember I was blown away by several sections of it (later I would realize those bits were the bass solo from metropolis, erotomania and the dance of eternity).

The second song I fell in love with was Endless sacrifice (from Budokan as well).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 11:36:51 AM »
Pull Me Under, 1992.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 11:56:48 AM »
Octavarium, in late 2008. The ending knocked me for six.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 11:58:26 AM »
I liked As I Am, so I checked out ITNOG in the related videos on youtube. Instantly clicked with me and is still to this day my favourite DT song.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 12:11:30 PM »
Pull Me Under, 1992.
I'd have to go with that too - it was the first. 

An honorable mention goes to SoC because it was the song that brought me back to DT after kinda losing track of them.

Offline krands85

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 12:22:23 PM »
Probably Endless Sacrifice or In the Name of God. Octavarium was the first album I heard, at some point between the release of it and SC, but Train of Thought was the album that really got me hooked on the band and ES & ITNOG were my early favourites.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 12:38:27 PM »
The Mirror. I'm not ancient, but I'm old enough to have lived in the cassette tapes era, so what we were doing at the time before widespread CDs, Napster and all that stuff was copying each other cassettes, and rounding up the running time with whatever song(s) just to not waste the tape.

My cousin was more advanced in his musical tastes at the time, so he sneaked DT songs at the end of the cassettes he was making for me, I remember he put Hollow Years and Anna Lee (at the time, the newest easy ballads) and on another cassette he placed The Mirror; I spent 4 months or so listening to it, and finally it clicked... I liked the song... I loved the song... and well, long story short, it was the avalanche effect that led me to love Dream Theater's music.

All of this was happening during the spring / summer of 1999, I didn't even had internet at the time, but I became a very devoted fan and somehow I got notion that on a certain day (ironically, exactly 16 years ago) the new Dream Theater album was going to be released, and I already decided for a blind purchase on release day.

So, again: it was 1999, without internet all I knew was the release day of the new DT album, and I walked into the store knowing exactly that.

I'll let you figure out the rest  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 12:57:01 PM »
Considering that WDaDU was my first album (bought 3 months after it was released), I'd say the first DT song I fell in love with was TOWHtStS, which was my favorite track from that album for many years.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline emtee

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 03:36:59 PM »
Pull Me Under, 1992.

I reckon this is true for most of us old fans. I was in a trance the first time I heard that song. So different and unique and THAT
DRUMMER!

Same story I've told too many times but after hearing that on the late night FM station that introduced new music I ran
directly to the local record store the next day and bought the album.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 04:07:33 PM »
The first song that caught my attention was Another Day. My father used to play a lot of music, and he bought WDADU when the was released, and every subsequent album after that.

I bought a compilation album for myself which contained Another Day. The album was a collection of power ballads (I was 15 at the time!) https://www.discogs.com/Various-Even-More-Power-Ballads/release/2488544. When ACOS was released, my father played it to death in the car. So that was probably the one that made me a fan. Although, Falling Into Infinity cemented it. SFAM was my first "new dream theater".

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 05:15:17 PM »
Pull Me Under in (I think) 2009. I raped that song and then did same with SFAM. I think my favorite song was Home.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 06:59:40 PM »
Something from I&W.  Metropolis I think.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 07:01:56 PM »
Panic Attack. They had me when the drums kicked in.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 07:45:28 PM »
Hmm, First song I heard was Honor Thy Father ages ago, thought the drums were impressive but it didn't hook me just introduced me to something a bit different. A couple years later I get exposed to SC on a car trip without knowing any of the songs or having much memory of anything specific. Next year I get exposed to Constant Motion and Pull Me Under through Rock Band and Guitar Hero then another year or so later Panic Attack. Another couple of years pass and I hear A Rite of Passage on a preview for my media player and I recognise the band name and think "god damn it I really should check these guys out properly as I keep stumbling onto them". I proceed to find BC&SL, their latest album, A Nightmare to Remember begins, by the time beautiful agony section comes on I'm in love. So I guess that was the song that made me click. :hat

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 04:19:54 AM »
Already posted this on another thread, but The Root Of All Evil was the first DT song I heard & I LOVED it (especially the chorus).  :hefdaddy
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 04:22:39 AM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline triugo

• Designer & Composer
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2015, 07:18:35 AM »
Stream of Consciousness, this the first DT song i ever heard, and the first song i can play on guitar...
"Stream of thought awaken..."

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 07:26:33 AM »
In the Name of God (2005-2006). Then I bought Train of Thought and Octavarium.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2015, 07:29:50 AM »
Take the Time. I really appreciated some of the instrumental passages of the band before, but that's the point where it all suddenly clicked for me as a whole (and especially with regards to James' singing).

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2015, 10:45:02 AM »
I heard the epic Octavarium first, about 9 years ago. I was still a young teenager back then. I was hugely into Kerrang/Scuzz so when I heard this it completely blew my mind and has changed the way I approach music entirely. I am now obsessed with prog and am a much much better guitarist as I went from learning power chords to ITPOE/ITNOG so it's had a major impact on my music life. They're also of course now my favourite band! One of the most beneficial things I've ever done!

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2015, 01:52:20 PM »
Funny thing is that I had 2 bands lead me to Dream Theater. First, I loved Greenday very much and they led me to Avenged Sevenfold. I had the song Nightmare by A7X on my Ipod, but I didn't listen to it that much. It was when I payed attention to the song, I realized the drummer was Mike Portnoy and I searched up the members and found out that Portnoy was with Dream theater so I checked them out. I downloaded all their albums, starting with the latest, which was BC&SL and the first song, A nightmare to remember drew me into Dream Theater. So, ANTR was my favorite Dream Theater song and I worked my way back albums.
Glad to be back.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2015, 02:23:12 PM »
Fatal Tragedy.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2015, 03:50:26 PM »
Stream of Consciousness, this the first DT song i ever heard, and the first song i can play on guitar...

Welcome to the forum!  :metal