Author Topic: Youtube Red  (Read 3071 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Youtube Red
« on: October 23, 2015, 05:47:33 AM »
Just curious if anyone has any intention of signing up for this.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Youtube Red
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 05:51:03 AM »
Absolutely not.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 05:55:19 AM »
No idea what it is.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 05:56:44 AM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 05:58:23 AM »
I dont totally understand it to be honest, but the basic concept of a subscription to youtube doesn't sound like something I want.  I mostly use youtube for watching music related things, I do not follow any of the big youtube content providers, so I am thinking it wouldn't be for me anyway, but honestly am not totally sure how its supposed to work.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 05:59:02 AM »
" I hate Spotify !!! Sign up for this instead ( because I get more money out of it ) "

I'm sure it'll be a massive success just like Tidal was !  :biggrin:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 06:05:08 AM »
I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. The ability to download videos and store them for 30 days is actually a really awesome feature (yes I'm aware there are desktop applications that already do this). I'm a huge fan of Boogie2988 and Barnacules Nerdgasm. Both do longish videos. Barncaules often times exceeding 30 minutes. I can't watch them during the day because my company blocks youtube over their network and I already chew through 10GB of data a month as it is. The ability to download new videos in the morning at home and having them stored for lunch would be pretty sweet. Youtube will definitely have exclusive content only available to Red subscribers. If that content reaches a level of Netflix caliber, it might be worth it. You also get access to Google Music.

The thing that I'm most concerned about is Youtube increasing the amount of ads we see as non-subscribers. They're going to have to get us to switch somehow.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 06:08:44 AM »
The thing that I'm most concerned about is Youtube increasing the amount of ads we see as non-subscribers. They're going to have to get us to switch somehow.

Don't you have ad-block for chrome?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 06:09:35 AM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 06:12:57 AM »

Ad-block is so clutch for youtube.  Granted it goes against what I do for a living, but I those are literally the most annoying ads on the internet (well as in legit ads).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 06:13:53 AM »
I think the current model they've established will make it very hard to convince people to switch to a paid model with currently better competitors in every area, even with the new features and some exclusive content. I personally don't see it taking off, because for most people it doesn't offer enough to justify it.

As someone who makes videos for Youtube, I am curious as to how it would affect payments in the long run, but it's not something I'm interested in using myself.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 06:19:14 AM »

I do, but I don't use it on Youtube. I really like the people I follow and I've been following them for years (seeing Boogie evolve has be great). I let the ads go so they get paid. I like their content and want them to have the funds to make it as quality as possible.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 06:58:33 AM »
Just curious if anyone has any intention of signing up for this.
At this point, no.  I don't care enough about any current youtube content to pay for it.

If they start developing original content as good as Netflix or HBO, we'll talk.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 07:31:26 AM »
How will it work ?

I am currently "subscribed" to Tested.

With Red - will I still be able to watch their videos freely ?

Will channels I'm not "subscribed" to be hidden ??

It's not very clear at all.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 01:46:54 PM »
How will it work ?

I am currently "subscribed" to Tested.

With Red - will I still be able to watch their videos freely ?

Will channels I'm not "subscribed" to be hidden ??

It's not very clear at all.

I'm wondering this as well. Not that I care all that much at all; literally the only thing I watch on Youtube other than the random funny video or playthrough for a video game if I'm stuck is VSauce. That's the only thing I watch and even then it's every few weeks. But even so, after all these years if Youtube just goes and throws a paid service program into the mix...I'll be a little irked, but something else will pop up eventually.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 01:50:59 PM »
If I have to pay to watch my favourite channels on YT - i'm gonna fuck Google off once and for all and use Safari and Vimeo.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 02:33:23 PM »
No idea what this is. I use YT a lot but can't imagine anything I would be willing to pay for.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 03:25:44 PM »
I already spend enough time viewing sites including the words "tube"and "red" so I doubt I'll be able to pencil this in.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 04:11:56 PM »
I already spend enough time viewing sites including the words "tube"and "red" so I doubt I'll be able to pencil this in.

:zydar:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 04:35:54 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 04:36:31 PM »
No idea what it is.

If I ever have to pay for a website ( besides Spotify or Netflix for example ) - then i'll stop using that site.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 05:15:47 PM »
Oh, I just looked up what it is.

Pay for youtube vids?

:rollin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 09:22:51 PM »
If I have to pay to watch my favourite channels on YT - i'm gonna fuck Google off once and for all and use Safari and Vimeo.

You don't have to pay to watch Youtube, but you can pay to remove ads, and it includes extras for streaming music and they'll start creating some exclusive paid content. It won't change a thing for you if you don't pay.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2015, 12:38:35 AM »
Ah. Well that's good. I don't see the problem with it then. I was just afraid of losing my bi-weekly Vsauce sauciness to greed. On the other hand, it baffles me that people would even think of paying for this. Then again I probably pay for some stupid shit that others would question all the same so...whatever fuels your airship!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2015, 08:49:12 PM »
What they really need to do is make it ad-free for schools. If I want to show my kids a video and an ad for a rated R movie comes on before I show it, that's not really good.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
The thing is what's the payer's benefits for this sort of thing aside from going ad-free in a more cleaner manner, and being able to help a content-creator do what they do best?  I don't mind letting the ads run for those I really like at Youtube.  I follow a good fair share of youtubers, and most of them usually stream games at Twitch anyway, I just support them by subbing at twitch and the benefit I get from that is some pretty cool emotes to use in chat and chat privileges when things sometimes get pretty hectic. 

What's the personal benefit for contributing to Youtube Red is what I'm mainly asking.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2015, 03:18:24 AM »
What's the personal benefit for contributing to Youtube Red is what I'm mainly asking.

You wont be targeted for termination when Skynet becomes self aware.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2015, 07:19:14 AM »
What they really need to do is make it ad-free for schools. If I want to show my kids a video and an ad for a rated R movie comes on before I show it, that's not really good.

adblock

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2015, 09:30:59 AM »

adblock

Is that a program or a website? If it's a program, no go. I need admin access to install anything on a school computer. Can't connect personal computer to Internet. What I end up doing is using keepvid.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2015, 08:53:35 AM »

You wont be targeted for termination when Skynet becomes self aware.

This seems the only good reason so far to pay for this

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2015, 09:06:44 AM »
At this point, no.  I don't care enough about any current youtube content to pay for it.

If they start developing original content as good as Netflix or HBO, we'll talk.

This. Plus, at least with the current ad system my money goes to supporting video content I actually like.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2015, 09:14:31 AM »

This. Plus, at least with the current ad system my money goes to supporting video content I actually like.

I don't know what the cut will be towards creating new content, but aside from that, subscription money is still split to content creators based on what you're watching, and probably gives more money to the creator than any if at all advertising money they'll otherwise make from your views. Advertising money requires a ton of views to add up to much.

I think they will need some must see new content being the paywall before they get any sizable number of people signing up for this, like hef said.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2015, 08:13:05 PM »
Yeah with youtube red the money you pay is split 55-45 between the people you watch and Youtube, which is not to say it's $5.50 and $4.50 a month but somewhat less than that. This is the same split that currently goes on from ad views so it must end up making Youtube more, ostensibly meaning it will make the creators more. Also the money is divided based on time watched rather than views, in other words, someone who produces one five minute video a week will not lose out to someone who makes five one minute videos a week (as is the case with the ad model)

More detailed conversation and analysis from a pretty established Youtuber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOWNIoTjLbM

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2015, 08:20:03 PM »
Well that would have been helpful, if he cut down on the espressos and could had a shot last more than 12 seconds.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2015, 08:22:40 PM »
uh

Welcome to Youtube is this your first time here?

...my name is Araragi.